How much do Americans want to spend on gun control?

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
American household wealth is circa 150 trillion USD.

How much of that would Americans authorize to spend to clear guns from the streets?

There are 400 million civilian owned guns in America. What price would Americans pay for each one of them? In a fell swoop, a gigantic gun buyback, what would Americans offer for each gun, no matter how small?

I propose that if America bought back every gun, we should pay 1,000,000 USD per gun. This would cost 40 trillion USD. This is less than a third of all that Americans personally possess. Isn't it worth it, to save who knows how many children's lives, to shell out 26% of all that we own?

Sure we'd make people who own lots of guns into fat cats. But isn't it worth it, for the children?

Idolater

Come on. Think of it. No more school shootings, no more Chicago shootings, no more any shootings at all. No more guns. And whatever guns you own, they're each worth a cool million. Move into a mansion. Install a pool. Buy a Lambo. Plus no more school shootings. All for the low price of just 26% of our collective net worth.

Right Divider

Body part
Come on. Think of it. No more school shootings, no more Chicago shootings, no more any shootings at all. No more guns. And whatever guns you own, they're each worth a cool million. Move into a mansion. Install a pool. Buy a Lambo. Plus no more school shootings. All for the low price of just 26% of our collective net worth.
Fantasy Island was cancelled years ago.

Right Divider

Body part
Given how many Americans would call the status quo a living nightmare, perhaps Fantasy Island is what we should be investigating more earnestly.
Taking guns away from honest people solves nothing.
Make guns harder for honest people to obtain does nothing (except make the guns that criminals obtain for effective).

In regard to guns, the cat's out of the bag... the genie is out of the bottle... there is no putting them back in again.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Fine with me....I'll give up 26% of my current net worth and walk out a multimillionaire (albeit of pretty worthless money) while still having a .38 in my back pocket and an AK with ammo buried under the pump house. :rolleyes:

Idolater

Taking guns away from honest people solves nothing.
Make guns harder for honest people to obtain does nothing (except make the guns that criminals obtain for effective).
The criminals would sell even their guns for a million bucks a pop. A lot of them wouldn't even have to be criminals anymore.
In regard to guns, the cat's out of the bag... the genie is out of the bottle... there is no putting them back in again.
If you pay one million USD for each gun, that genie's getting back in the bottle and that cat's getting back in the bag.

Idolater

Fine with me....I'll give up 26% of my current net worth and walk out a multimillionaire (albeit of pretty worthless money) while still having a .38 in my back pocket and an AK with ammo buried under the pump house. :rolleyes:
Assuming it's not "worthless money", you'd keep two of your guns anyway. So right there that's like, what 250 guns off the streets lol?

Right Divider

Body part
The criminals would sell even their guns for a million bucks a pop. A lot of them wouldn't even have to be criminals anymore.

If you pay one million USD for each gun, that genie's getting back in the bottle and that cat's getting back in the bag.
There are plenty of people that would keep their guns.

marke

How much of that would Americans authorize to spend to clear guns from the streets?

There are 400 million civilian owned guns in America. What price would Americans pay for each one of them? In a fell swoop, a gigantic gun buyback, what would Americans offer for each gun, no matter how small?

I propose that if America bought back every gun, we should pay 1,000,000 USD per gun. This would cost 40 trillion USD. This is less than a third of all that Americans personally possess. Isn't it worth it, to save who knows how many children's lives, to shell out 26% of all that we own?

Sure we'd make people who own lots of guns into fat cats. But isn't it worth it, for the children?
Destroying the 2nd Amendment and confiscating hundreds of millions of guns will not make a single child in America safer.

Idolater

Destroying the 2nd Amendment and confiscating hundreds of millions of guns will not make a single child in America safer.
You don't have to destroy the Second Amendment. You just have to take out a loan for 40 trillion dollars, using our collective 150 trillion dollar wealth as collateral, and start buying up guns. Then they're just gone. And folks like @TomO are fat cats living in palaces, they just don't have any guns (that aren't buried underground somewhere).

No more school shootings. No more suicide shootings either. No more Chicago or Baltimore shootings.

There are countries like this. Taiwan, Japan, South Korea. China even. There are like no civilian owned guns in some countries.

Would Americans spend 26% of our wealth to become like one of those countries?

marke

You don't have to destroy the Second Amendment. You just have to take out a loan for 40 trillion dollars, using our collective 150 trillion dollar wealth as collateral, and start buying up guns. Then they're just gone. And folks like @TomO are fat cats living in palaces, they just don't have any guns (that aren't buried underground somewhere).

No more school shootings. No more suicide shootings either. No more Chicago or Baltimore shootings.

There are countries like this. Taiwan, Japan, South Korea. China even. There are like no civilian owned guns in some countries.

Would Americans spend 26% of our wealth to become like one of those countries?
If guns are already illegal what makes you think making guns illegal will get them removed from the hands of crooks? Drugs are illegal and drugs are still everywhere.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned

I propose that your proposal is stupid

Gun ownership saves more lives that it costs.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded, almost every major study on the issue has found that Americans use their firearms in lawful self-defense between 500,000 and 3 million times a year.

Americans use their firearms in lawful self-defense between 500,000 and 3 million times a year.

Idolater

I propose that your proposal is stupid
So do I.
Gun ownership saves more lives that it costs.
It doesn't matter.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded, almost every major study on the issue has found that Americans use their firearms in lawful self-defense between 500,000 and 3 million times a year.

Americans use their firearms in lawful self-defense between 500,000 and 3 million times a year.
So? So what? I agree with that.