How's your Governor or Mayor Doing at COVID-19 Legislation?

Aimiel

Here in Michigan, it's whack-a-doodle!!! Governor Gretchen Whitmer has issued confusing and arbitrary nonsense orders. You can't buy seeds but you can buy Easter candy or lottery tickets. You can't ride a jet-ski or other motorboat but you can ride a canoe. You can't go to your vacation home or visit your friend's home but you can go to a grocery store. I read one story that said a woman went to a Wal*Mart to buy a child's car safety seat but was told: "That's blocked off, since it's non-essential." Four county sheriffs have said that they won't be enforcing the orders except on a case-by-case basis. The law allows us to wait in long lines to get into stores, but going hunting or playing golf is illegal. Landscaper's can't work, but restaurants operating carry-out business, where there CANNOT be six feet of personal space in a crowded kitchen (in none of which I have seen a single person wearing face coverings) are allowed limited hours of operation. Nurseries cannot open their stores to sell their plants but you can buy them at a grocery store, where plenty of people are invading your six foot 'bubble' and not wearing masks are shopping.

Governor Whitmer has lied about the fact that there were only American flags in the protest yesterday, she said that there were Confederate flags (invented by her own party, by the way: the Slavery Party, now known as the Democratic Party). She claimed that the protest blocked hospital entrances, which no hospitals reported any problems with. Now she's threatening to make the lockdown last longer, because of the protest. Now University of Michigan nurses are protesting being told to administer healthcare to COVID-19 positive patients without masks or other PPE. There's an end to this in sight, but not by restricting freedoms haphazardly. We need to use common sense when enacting legislation; especially that which impacts people who're on a knife-edge of frustration at dealing with a pandemic that's being hyped out-of-proportion. Yeah, it's contagious. Yeah, you can die from it. Auto accidents, heart attacks, obesity and diabetes kill people too, but we don't enact laws to prevent those deaths. Will that be next? This has gone on long enough. We're about to take our freedoms back.

Gary K

Banned
On a scale of 1 to 100:

Governor = -5
Mayor = 95

Both ratings are based upon support for constitution, liberty, and common sense.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I don't have a Mayor and my County has 48 cases 0 deaths. So top scores for my County Administrator.

My governor is Cuomo. So 1

Gary K

Banned
I don't have a Mayor and my County has 48 cases 0 deaths. So top scores for my County Administrator.

My governor is Cuomo. So 1

Yeah, I was going to mention the county I live in. The sheriff is doing an outstanding job. He, and the city police, are doing the same kind of job the mayor is doing. Their priorities are constitution, liberty, and common sense.

BTW, both law enforcement agencies and the mayor have vowed that they will not enforce the gun grabbing laws put in place in this state. Some officers have come out and said they will defend citizens if the state comes in to take away their guns. :first:

Aimiel

The gun laws aren't constitutional, if they infringe upon our rights at all, IMHO. We need assault rifles to protect ourselves from the tyrannical monster government that we can see just down the road a piece that calls itself: safety and security. :angrymob:

chair

The gun laws aren't constitutional, if they infringe upon our rights at all, IMHO. We need assault rifles to protect ourselves from the tyrannical monster government that we can see just down the road a piece that calls itself: safety and security. :angrymob:

"tyrannical monster government that we can see just down the road" led by... Donald Trump?

Aimiel

"tyrannical monster government that we can see just down the road" led by... Donald Trump?

You mean the President who has said that Governors should be the ones to decide how and when to re-open businesses in their states? :doh:

Aimiel

Now that many governors are making news by planning the re-opening of their state: that lady from Michigan is planning to extend the extension of ridiculous infringements on the rights of us Michiganders.

ok doser

Now that many governors are making news by planning the re-opening of their state: that lady from Michigan is planning to extend the extension of ridiculous infringements on the rights of us Michiganders.

A beautiful day up here in NNY - I plan to get the boat out today, do some shoreline work - have to get it out of the boathouse before the water level comes up and traps it - we had record high levels last summer and we're already a half foot higher than this time last year :(

darnedest thing - I put on my waders the other day and they had shrunk over the winter - I could barely squeeze into them

SUTG

I live in San Francisco, CA and both the mayor and governor did better than I expected. then again I did not expect much from the two of them. I now suspect they are about to start going into some pretty serious government overreach in the next month or so, enabled and encouraged by the California citizenry of course. Statists, most of them.

Gary K

Banned
A beautiful day up here in NNY - I plan to get the boat out today, do some shoreline work - have to get it out of the boathouse before the water level comes up and traps it - we had record high levels last summer and we're already a half foot higher than this time last year :(

darnedest thing - I put on my waders the other day and they had shrunk over the winter - I could barely squeeze into them

It sure is a good thing you didn't do a lot of snacking last winter and gain weight. You'd have had to go down and buy a new pair of waders, stat. :crackup:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
AMERICANS TRUST FAUCI, GOVERNORS OVER TRUMP ON CORONAVIRUS, POLLS SHOW
4/23/20

According to a Morning Consult poll of 1,991 registered voters conducted on April 18 and 19

- 71% of those surveyed said they would trust Fauci "a lot" or "some"if he advised ending the social distancing measures that most states have imposed to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2.
- 9 % said they would trust him "not much," and eight percent said they would not trust him at all.
- Fauci, a 2008 recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom who has led the NIAID since the Reagan administration, has become somewhat of a bête noire for a number of right-wing media figures, including Fox Business Network host Lou Dobbs and Tucker Carlson of the Fox News Channel. .

- of the registered voters surveyed,
59% said they would trust their governor "a lot" or "some,"compared with 31% who would trust their governor "not much" or "not at all."

- a majority of voters—52%—said they would not trust Trump to varying degrees if he were to make the same recommendation.
-
11% said they would trust the president "not much," a significant plurality of 41% said they would not trust the president's word at all on the matter
- The same percentage of respondents also said they would rate Trump's handling of the Covid-19 pandemic as "poor."

- vast majority of respondents—63%—said they either "strongly" or "somewhat" approved of both their state and local government's response to the pandemic
- compared with 40 percent who said they approved of the federal government's response.

- same survey also found that 80% of respondents support the stay-at-home orders that are still in effect in most states.

https://www.newsweek.com/americans-t...s-show-1499807
************************************************** **************************************************
How's your Governor or Mayor Doing at COVID-19 Legislation?

Dr. Fauci wasn't present at today's White House "briefing" - I presume his presence wasn't welcome after contradicting the President and stating that he expected that COVID-19 should return again in the Fall!

CNN has stopped televising the President's "briefings" but have chosen to return for the question period and those all too brief moments when the health experts are allowed to address the audience!

Despite the fact that the American public consider Dr. Fauci to be the most trustworthy source of information for the pandemic, it has been noted that he is allowed only 5% of the time provided for the "briefings" - apparently this President likes his health experts kept on a "short leash!"

Last edited:

ok doser

Now, at this late stage in the game: Half-Whitmer is ordering ALL in Michigan to wear a mask. No penalty for NOT wearing one, but businesses can refuse you service.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...ome-order.html

Holy cow - really?

Cuomo had us wearing masks last week, everywhere.

Hasn't really bothered me - been living like a hermit all winter anyway, usually go out after midnight when nobody's around to do my shopping, etc.

Haven't had a sniffle all year! :banana:

Aimiel

She also said businesses can refuse you service if you're not wearing one. The order goes into effect Monday. Many people have been turned away from stores for not wearing one TODAY!!! So ignorant.

ok doser

She also said businesses can refuse you service if you're not wearing one. The order goes into effect Monday. Many people have been turned away from stores for not wearing one TODAY!!! So ignorant.

there's some hilarious homemade masks on google image - some of the funniest are decidedly not TOL friendly :chuckle: