Information US police departments don't want you to know

Tinark

Here are 15 jobs more dangerous than being a police officer:

B8PUVwbIcAAio1I.jpg

US Police Kill More Than 1,000 Americans per Year (3 per day) vs. 0 in UK in 2013, 4/year in Germany, 12/yr in Canada

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...edcb00-7998-11e4-b821-503cc7efed9e_story.html

Tinark

And your point is? :idunno:

People often justify police killings because the job is so dangerous and the killings are necessary. Being a police officer doesn't appear to be all that dangerous in comparison to some other jobs (almost twice as safe compared to being a construction worker, for example), and other countries police forces manage to kill very few of their citizens.

Don't you think there is something wrong when we have 100+ times the kill rate by police compared to other countries?

The Berean

People often justify police killings because the job is so dangerous and the killings are necessary. Being a police officer doesn't appear to be all that dangerous in comparison to some other jobs (almost twice as safe compared to being a construction worker, for example), and other countries police forces manage to kill very few of their citizens.
Well, I didn't know what you were asking or getting at in the OP.

Don't you think there is something wrong when we have 100+ times the kill rate by police compared to other countries?

That does seem high. So what is your solution? :think:

Christian Liberty

Yes, absolutely there is something wrong.

I think you'd be better off if you were to debate actual Christians about theology rather than neocon hacks masquerading as Christians.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yes, absolutely there is something wrong.

I think you'd be better off if you were to debate actual Christians about theology rather than neocon hacks masquerading as Christians.

it's the training. tactical retreat is necessary. they are changing it now. to be nationwide ? who knows how long. realistically, it will take at least a few years to re-train and change the mentality and attitudes. however, if you see face to face, the things that happen, and how fast things happen, it's not easy to "be a friendly officer" - generally, if someone is trying to kill you, it changes things fast. they can't pause for moment to make sure that they might get killed. maybe there's more citizens killed in america because more americans are pulling guns and knives on cops. the only time i see people have a problem with police, is when they don't listen = :patrol:

Quincy

That doesn't implicate cops in being trigger happy without cause, it plays more to the case for tighter gun control, eliminating handguns and automatics among civilians. The police forces in the countries you listed (at least in Canada and Germany, I don't know about the UK) don't have to worry much about the suspect having firearms. In the US, almost any situation the police encounter could turn into a gunfight. The lack of firearms in those countries is the big difference here, right?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
so what you're saying is that the loggers and fishermen and miners should get out there and shoot more people?

sweet! :thumb:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Burghart recently summed up what he has learned so far: “You know who dies in the most population-dense areas? Black men,” he wrote on Gawker. “You know who dies in the least population-dense areas? Mentally ill men. It’s not to say there aren’t dangerous and desperate criminals killed across the line. But African-Americans and the mentally ill people make up a huge percentage of people killed by police.”

i wonder how things might change if cops could refuse to engage with blacks and the mentally-ill?

dispatch: "suspect seen waving gun and threatening others"
officer in patrol car: "is the suspect african american or mentally ill?"
dispatch: "affirmative"
officer in patrol car: "i'm going to duncan donuts - call me when you get a white suspect who's sane"

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
This is the unfortunate but surprisingly accurate issue with police officers today:

If you pay attention, the much older generation of police officers are the one's who are often patient and fair. They were raised with the idea of policing being a public service.

This new generation, however, often join the force so that they can see some action. A lot of them hope for a time they can pull out that gun, I've seen it so many times it's ridiculous.

And these are the officers who kill or be killed. The issue has never really been with crime, but with the officers, and that is a point which no one wants to face because it means they will have to pay attention to something other then what concerns them. We live in an extremely selfish, vain society, so why would the police be different? And why would a right winger be concerned when they basically worship the gun?

elohiym

If the police didn't have weapons, don't you think the number of them killed per year would exceed the number of loggers killed per year?

Christian Liberty

This is the unfortunate but surprisingly accurate issue with police officers today:

If you pay attention, the much older generation of police officers are the one's who are often patient and fair. They were raised with the idea of policing being a public service.

This new generation, however, often join the force so that they can see some action. A lot of them hope for a time they can pull out that gun, I've seen it so many times it's ridiculous.

And these are the officers who kill or be killed. The issue has never really been with crime, but with the officers, and that is a point which no one wants to face because it means they will have to pay attention to something other then what concerns them. We live in an extremely selfish, vain society, so why would the police be different? And why would a right winger be concerned when they basically worship the gun?

This is a big part of the problem. The "left" makes the issue about race, and the "right" instinctively defends the cops because they don't like race-baiting. Nobody wants to think like a Christian anymore. Far too few anyway. Hence the problem.

Christian Liberty

If the police didn't have weapons, don't you think the number of them killed per year would exceed the number of loggers killed per year?

I support disarming the police. Armed civilians (the militia) would have a duty to support unarmed police when they are acting righteously, and the risk of being shot by an armed civilian would reduce the odds of someone trying to shoot a cop who was acting righteously. On the other hand, if the cops start acting in oppressive, unjustice, and authoritarian ways, the people can refuse to protect them, which is a check on injustice.

I like this:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/12/gary-north/disarm-the-police/

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Maybe old cops just have more common sense and expertise than young ones. The ability to defuse conflict is a very valuable skill. And yes, there are old cops who are stupid and belligerent. But not as many as there are young cops like that.

I do think that the militarization of the police is a huge problem, one that tends to make them think of the rest of us as enemies.

Quincy

I support disarming the police. Armed civilians (the militia) would have a duty to support unarmed police when they are acting righteously, and the risk of being shot by an armed civilian would reduce the odds of someone trying to shoot a cop who was acting righteously. On the other hand, if the cops start acting in oppressive, unjustice, and authoritarian ways, the people can refuse to protect them, which is a check on injustice.

I like this:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/12/gary-north/disarm-the-police/

Who corrects the armed militia if they start acting oppressive and authoritarian towards citizens who aren't involved, if there is no objective police force with arms?

I'm not a supporter of gun control but I think it's clear that the issue would be resolved if civilians didn't have some types of firearms. I don't believe the police forces in the US are nearly as bad as people claim. If civilians didn't have certain firearms, the police wouldn't even need to carry them as well. Getting a gun in Canada or Germany, especially one you can conceal is all but impossible. Since anyone could have a concealed handgun, well it's safer to shoot first and ask questions later when you're in a tense situation and you think someone is drawing on you, for example.