Theology Club: Is God's Grace Irresistible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a person can resist or reject God's grace, then God is not Sovereign. It's quite simple but some of the smartest minds speak out of both sides of their mouths when discussing the subject. So by using the reasoning powers God has granted me with, if we can resist grace to the point of damnation, then we can rightly assume we can resist sin without God's grace making the work of Jesus unnecessary.

Most of us rely upon the work of Jesus Christ, by His grace and mercy, for our salvation. If we say grace is resistible, we are saying that God is not sovereign. I believe God is sovereign. I believe His grace is irresisible.

For more on the subject: http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/irresistible-grace/

Lon

Romans 9:19 You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?"

Nang

TOL Subscriber
If a person can resist or reject God's grace, then God is not Sovereign. It's quite simple but some of the smartest minds speak out of both sides of their mouths when discussing the subject. So by using the reasoning powers God has granted me with, if we can resist grace to the point of damnation, then we can rightly assume we can resist sin without God's grace making the work of Jesus unnecessary.

Most of us rely upon the work of Jesus Christ, by His grace and mercy, for our salvation. If we say grace is resistible, we are saying that God is not sovereign. I believe God is sovereign. I believe His grace is irresisible.

For more on the subject: http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/irresistible-grace/

Without a doubt, the grace of God is irresistible:

". . . For thou hast given Him power over all flesh, so that He might give eternal life to whom all thou hast given Him." John 17:2

<DIR>Romans 9:15 For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION."
Romans 9:16 So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.
Romans 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH."
Romans 9:18 So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.
Romans 9:19 You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?"
Romans 9:20 On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it?
Romans 9:21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?
Romans 9:22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?
Romans 9:23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory,
Romans 9:24 even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles. [NASB]
</DIR>

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If salvific grace is resistible then none would be saved for the lost are born in the sin of Adam, our federal representative, and can only sin more or sin less, doing absolutely nothing motivated by seeking the righteousness of God.

Hence the miracle that God saves even one person, for we all deserved nothing but His justice.

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/reymondregen.html

AMR

beloved57

Grace is the effectual working of God's Power Eph 3:7 so no it can't be resisted, lest we are able to resist the effectual working of His Power !

Posted from the TOL App!

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

In the day of His power....

Jerry Shugart

If we say grace is resistible, we are saying that God is not sovereign. I believe God is sovereign. I believe His grace is irresistible.

If grace is irresistible then why were not all men not saved when this happened?:

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men" (Titus 2:11).​

beloved57

If grace is irresistible then why were not all men not saved when this happened?:

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men" (Titus 2:11).​

All men without exception were not supposed to be saved ! God has promised only to save one people, Israel Isa 45:17 !

Posted from the TOL App!

Jerry Shugart

All men without exception were not supposed to be saved ! God has promised only to save one people, Israel Isa 45:17 !

You answered nothing about what I said about the grace which brings salvation appearing to all men!

Of course I do not expect you to understand anything about that because you remain a natural man:

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Cor.2:14).​

beloved57

You answered nothing about what I said about the grace which brings salvation appearing to all men!

Of course I do not expect you to understand anything about that because you remain a natural man:

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Cor.2:14).​

The all men are all Israel . No other people is promised Salvation Isa 45:17 !

Posted from the TOL App!

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men" (Titus 2:11).

The key to understanding that passage is the words "hath appeared". If you are trying to make a case for universal salvation from this verse, it is a lie of the devil and heretical teaching. Taking scriptures out of the context in which they were written is how cults are started.

"Hath appeared" means that the gospel of grace that was promised has now appeared, being hidden in previous times. But we know not everyone saw Jesus or received the gospel of grace. Only those who are saved by God's grace and mercy, those chosen by God, the elect. To preach any other gospel but the gospel of grace is heretical.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

The key to understanding that passage is the words "hath appeared". If you are trying to make a case for universal salvation from this verse, it is a lie of the devil and heretical teaching.

You cannot even understand my simple argument. I never said anything about universal salvation.

The verse I quoted demonstrates that the grace which brings salvation to all men can indeed be resisted.

The gospel of grace comes in the Holy Spirit (1 Thess.1:5) and men can indeed resist the Holy Spirit (Acts 7:51).

You are so full of Calvinistic nonsense that you prove that you are incapable of actually using your brain when it comes to what the Scriptures teach.

You cannot even understand my simple argument. I never said anything about universal salvation.

The verse I quoted demonstrates that the grace which brings salvation to all men can indeed be resisted.

The gospel of grace comes in the Holy Spirit (1 Thess.1:5) and men can indeed resist the Holy Spirit (Acts 7:51).

You are so full of Calvinistic nonsense that you prove that you are incapable of actually using your brain when it comes to what the Scriptures teach.

You bear the responsibility of not being able to explain your "simple" argument, not me. I'll match IQ's with you anytime. Insults do not further you argument.

beloved57

Where does Titus 2:11 say anything about God's Grace for Salvation can be resisted ? That is a false statement. Neither does it say it is demonstrated that Grace for Salvation can be resisted ! So you have not gave any evidence for your false witness !

Posted from the TOL App!

Jerry Shugart

You bear the responsibility of not being able to explain your "simple" argument, not me.

If grace was irresistible then why were not all men saved since that grace that brings salvation appeared to all men:

Give me just one verse which supports your silly idea that grace cannot be resisted.

Just one!

If grace was irresistible then why were not all men saved since that grace that brings salvation appeared to all men:
"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men" (Titus 2:11).
Give me just one verse which supports your silly idea that grace cannot be resisted.

Just one!

Asked and anwered in Post 12. You have yet to respond to the opening post, or the posts I've written subsequent to the OP. Do you fear the truth of God's word? Do you believe you are saved by your works, negating or lessening the sacrifice made by Jesus?

Where does Titus 2:11 say anything about God's Grace for Salvation can be resisted ? That is a false statement. Neither does it say it is demonstrated that Grace for Salvation can be resisted ! So you have not gave any evidence for your false witness !

Posted from the TOL App!

Jerry's posts would be funny if it were not for the fact that he might be leading others away from the truth of the bible. He's like an animal that has crawled out too far on a limb, and he's grasping at branches too small to hold him under the weight of his works-based theology.

Jerry Shugart

So by using the reasoning powers God has granted me with, if we can resist grace to the point of damnation, then we can rightly assume we can resist sin without God's grace making the work of Jesus unnecessary.

You have no ability to reason because you have been brainwashed by Calvinism. Here we see exactly what the Lord wanted to happen (would I have gathered thy children together) but it did not happen:

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Mt.23:37).​

You should actually read the Bible and throw your Calvinist commentary in the trash can where it belongs!

Status
Not open for further replies.