Jurassic Pork: Not Extinct Yet

From a railroad theme park in Pennsylvania to a science center in San Francisco, a range of earmark projects have lived on long after the kind of earmarks that spawned them were banned, according to a new report released Thursday called "Jurassic Pork."

Riffing off the release this weekend of the latest "Jurassic Park" film, the report from Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., lists what he calls “fossilized” projects. They pre-date the earmark ban but still are collecting money to this day from other taxpayer sources.

“Even long beyond their expiration date, they live on – they find a way,” Flake told Fox News Thursday morning, sounding a bit like Dr. Ian Malcolm himself.

Congress technically banned the practice of earmarks -- provisions that direct funding to a lawmaker's pet projects, typically in his or her home state -- in 2010. But a number of projects that started with earmarked funds are still chugging along.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ic-pork-off-table-for-good/?intcmp=latestnews
:cigar:

Fiscal restraint? :rip:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Did anyone really think that banning earmarks would stop this? The republicans just found other ways.

Mitch McConnell
State: Kentucky
Party: Republican
Amount in Solo Earmarks: $51,186,000

James Inhofe
State: Oklahoma
Amount in Solo Earmarks: $53,133,500

Lisa Murkowski
State: Alaska
Amount in Solo Earmarks: $74,000,750
Thad Cochran
State: Mississippi
Amount in Solo Earmarks: $75,908,475

Kit Bond
State: Missouri
Amount in Solo Earmarks: $85,691,491

Richard Shelby
State: Alabama
Amount in Solo Earmarks: $114,484,250

Oh, and in case anyone thinks the democrats were free of this:
Daniel Inouye
State: Hawaii
Party: Democrat
Amount in Solo Earmarks: $46,380,205

Dianne Feinstein
State: California
Party: Democrat
Amount in Solo Earmarks: $76,899,425

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
My list is by no means complete. Apparently, these are some of the more egregious porkers.

I would be surprised if the number of people doing this in the senate was less than a 2/3 majority.

My list is by no means complete. Apparently, these are some of the more egregious porkers.

I would be surprised if the number of people doing this in the senate was less than a 2/3 majority.

That's why I provided the links to open secrets. It allows people to check out their own congresspersons and senators.