NT use of OT scripture

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul use a massive amount of OT scripture to portray the gospel.
Thought it would be a good study to view all the places he does so.
Not to argue about, but to know about.

Paul's use of Hosea

Romans 9:22-26 ESV​
What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?​
As indeed he says in Hosea, “Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’ and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved'. And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’”​

Hosea 1:9-10 ESV​
And the LORD said, “Call his name Not My People, for you are not my people, and I am not your God.”​
Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be like the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured or numbered. And in the place where it was said to them, “You are not my people,” it shall be said to them, “Children of the living God.”​

Hosea 2:23 ESV​
and I will sow her for myself in the land. And I will have mercy on No Mercy, and I will say to Not My People, ‘You are my people’; and he shall say, ‘You are my God.’​

The Hosea passages are clearly about Israel.
But Paul uses it as a pattern of how God can also deal with Gentiles that were not His people but have become His people, and therefore can be called "sons of the living God".

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
The Hosea passages are clearly about Israel.
But Paul uses it as a pattern of how God can also deal with Gentiles that were not His people but have become His people, and therefore can be called "sons of the living God".
And this last part is so important. It's being humble and submitting to the Apostle here, in understanding exactly what passages in Hosea really means, and meant. The Apostles including Paul are the authorities for the Church in matters of Old Testament interpretation.

A Nonpauline example is the part of Isaiah that talks about the "virgin" who will become pregnant. In the centuries since the Jewish position on the interpretation of this offered in the Gospels is incorrect, they maintain that the proper understanding of the verse is merely a 'young woman' who isn't necessarily virginal, but we believe the Apostles, who told us, "This was about Mary, and she Mary is virginal." (Thereby fulfilling a much more limited and 'precise' prophecy just by the way.)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And this last part is so important. It's being humble and submitting to the Apostle here, in understanding exactly what passages in Hosea really means, and meant. The Apostles including Paul are the authorities for the Church in matters of Old Testament interpretation.

A Nonpauline example is the part of Isaiah that talks about the "virgin" who will become pregnant. In the centuries since the Jewish position on the interpretation of this offered in the Gospels is incorrect, they maintain that the proper understanding of the verse is merely a 'young woman' who isn't necessarily virginal, but we believe the Apostles, who told us, "This was about Mary, and she Mary is virginal." (Thereby fulfilling a much more limited and 'precise' prophecy just by the way.)
So true.
The prophetic use of the OT passages directed towards Ahab about a "virgin" having a child was a sign to Ahab in his timeframe to prove that Ahab would be successful in defeating the enemy that was attacking him.
It could not have been a reassuring sign to Ahab for a battle he was about to face if it had not happened in his timeframe.
And yet it was prophetic of another time far in the future as well.

Goes to show that even though prophetic statements made in the OT were not specifically about Christ in that time were still prophetic of Christ Himself.
Luke 24:44 KJV​
And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.​
Luke 24:27 KJV​
And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.​

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Romans 4:3-4 ESV
For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”
Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due.

Genesis 15:6 ESV​
And he [Abraham] believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.​

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Romans 4:5-8 ESV
And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.”

Psalms 32:1-2 ESV​
A Maskil of David. Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.​

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Psalms 32:1-2 ESV​
A Maskil of David. Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
Compare with John 1:47 " Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!"

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Romans 10:5 ESV
For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them.

Leviticus 18:5 ESV​
You shall therefore keep my statutes and my rules; if a person does them, he shall live by them: I am the LORD.​

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Compare with John 1:47 " Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!"
Thanks.
A great addition to show the harmony of all of scripture.

Right Divider

Body part
Romans 4:3-4 ESV
For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”
Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due.

Genesis 15:6 ESV​
And he [Abraham] believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.​
James quotes the same scripture, but has a different take on it:
Jas 2:17-24 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. (2:18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. (2:19) Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. (2:20) But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? (2:21) Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (2:22) Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? (2:23) And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. (2:24) Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Romans 11:9 ESV
And David says, “Let their table become a snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them;

Psalms 69:22 ESV​
Let their own table before them become a snare; and when they are at peace, let it become a trap.​

This one hits home on many levels.
For it was David's own people that were despising and oppressing him. (verse 8 of same chapter)
Psalms 69:8 ESV​
I have become a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my mother's sons.​

Harmonizes well with the words of Jesus that brother will be against brother.
And that Israel killed their own prophets.
And Micah 7:6 ..... a man's enemies are the men of his own house.
And Judas betrayed his own at the Lord's supper.

Also harmonizes with Paul's admonishment of the congregation of Corinth who were not treating their brothers with the love and compassion they should at the communion table of the Lord's supper, and encouraged them to not let it be so among us.

A house divided cannot stand.

Last edited:

glorydaz

And yet there in the middle of it is this "remnant" "no more of works". Romans 11:5-6
Deut. 6:25 And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.

Yes, this is where they came from....Peter and the rest of the Jews. And we can watch how that changed for them. Peter was given the vision that the gentiles were clean. They were slowly putting away their own works of righteousness once Paul's gospel of GRACE began to dawn on them. Those things Peter said were hard to understand. He hadn't had any direct revelation from the risen Lord, so they were slow to understand. I think Paul explains it very well in Romans 10.