"One America News Network" might be wiped out by Dominion lawsuit

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
“Dominion has a very strong case against Fox News – and against OAN for that matter,” said Ciara Torres-Spelliscy, a constitutional law professor at Stetson University and a fellow at the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice.

Judge Eric Davis made clear the $1.6 billion suit was not frivolous, reported The Guardian.

“These allegations support a reasonable inference that Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch either knew Dominion had not manipulated the election or at least recklessly disregarded the truth when they allegedly caused Fox News to propagate its claims about Dominion,” Davis said in his ruling.

Fox News would probably survive, but the much smaller OAN and Newsmax, which are also being sued by Dominion and election software company Smartmatic, could be decimated in court.

“I think OAN is going to be wiped out from the litigation costs," Carusone said. "Forget about any judgment.”

Newsmax has enough cash to survive a trial and even pay the damages sought by Dominion and Smartmatic, but OAN is already struggling after it was dropped by DirecTV, which was responsible for 90 percent of its revenue, and the network appears to be in a death spiral.

“We’ve started seeing, already, them scaling back programming, they’ve been laying off staff, they’ve been cutting back the number of programs," Carusone said. "So it’s pretty clear that they don’t have sufficient resources to weather a protracted litigation.”

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
“I think OAN is going to be wiped out from the litigation costs," Carusone said.
This is an issue I have with the legal system. Let's say Elon Musk wants to get rid of some relatively small left-wing outfit like The Young Turks or Salon by suing them for slander. Musk knows he could bankrupt them simply from the litigation costs as the trial drags on and on. Even if The Young Turks or Salon were completely innocent they could go bankrupt halfway through the trial.

Is that just?

It provides great windfall profits for the legal industry. But it's not just.

As Bob Enyart used to say, "Today the justice system is just a system."

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
This is an issue I have with the legal system. Let's say Elon Musk wants to get rid of some relatively small left-wing outfit like The Young Turks or Salon by suing them for slander. Musk knows he could bankrupt them simply from the litigation costs as the trial drags on and on. Even if The Young Turks or Salon were completely innocent they could go bankrupt halfway through the trial.

Is that just?
We'll have to see what happens. The fact remains that Dominion has a solid case against OAN, so if OAN goes under it's their own fault. Don't want to go bankrupt? Don't commit defamation. That is a just system.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Twitter + Elon Musk = another right-wing source.
That’s a stretch, Jefferson. IIRC, he voted for Hillary Clinton, and there are other issues where he definitely would not come across as conservative. A moderate, maybe a little libertarian. I believe he’s registered as an independent. Overall, Musk is for Musk, and whatever he can do to move markets by saying controversial stuff, he‘ll do.

And Twitter isn‘t a right-wing site by explicit ideology. By putting profits over people, yeah, you could make a case for that.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
That’s a stretch, Jefferson. IIRC, he voted for Hillary Clinton, and there are other issues where he definitely would not come across as conservative. A moderate, maybe a little libertarian. I believe he’s registered as an independent. Overall, Musk is for Musk, and whatever he can do to move markets by saying controversial stuff, he‘ll do.

And Twitter isn‘t a right-wing site by explicit ideology. By putting profits over people, yeah, you could make a case for that.
Then why is the left freaking out over Elon Musk buying Twitter?

The #1 most important issue when it comes to who owns media companies is their opinion of the subject of Censorship. Elon is going to fire all those liberal moderators who have orgasms every time some conservative gets banned.

I don't care if Elon Musk is a flaming communist as long as he is even-handed when it comes to banning people.