Polygamy is in the Bible

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In the Bible we find that marriage is between one man and one woman. There is also polygamy found in the Bible. How do you navigate that?

When two decide to never marry anyone else, they are deciding to go beyond the law which is that after a spouse dies you can remarry.

The question has to do with adultery.

The other subject related to this with multiple wives is child wives. It is a problem.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
po·lyg·y·ny
/pəˈlijənē/

noun
noun: polygyny
polygamy in which a man has more than one wife.
  • ZOOLOGY
a pattern of mating in which a male animal has more than one female mate.

Origin

late 18th century: from poly- ‘many’ + Greek gunē ‘woman.’

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Romans 7:1-25 NASB - 1 Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were [aroused] by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter. 7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, "YOU SHALL NOT COVET." 8 But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin [is] dead. 9 I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died; 10 and this commandment, which was to result in life, proved to result in death for me; 11 for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. 12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. 13 Therefore did that which is good become [a cause of] death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful. 14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I [would] like to [do,] but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not want [to do,] I agree with the Law, [confessing] that the Law is good. 17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good [is] not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In the Bible we find that marriage is between one man and one woman.
This began with Adam and Eve.
There is also polygamy found in the Bible.
Most notable are Abraham and Jacob (Israel).
How do you navigate that?
Because polygamy is by and large not accepted while marriage between one man and one woman is.
When two decide to never marry anyone else, they are deciding to go beyond the law which is that after a spouse dies you can remarry.
Some simply decide not to marry anyone else, and once their spouse dies they are released from that law.
Because that is the commandment of God.
The other subject related to this with multiple wives is child wives. It is a problem.
Such as in Islam. Another problem is sex trafficking.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
In the Bible we find that marriage is between one man and one woman.

This is the standard.

There is also polygamy found in the Bible.

Yup.

How do you navigate that?

By looking at the context.

https://kgov.com/what-does-bible-say-about-polygamy

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Does God's Law allow polygamy or not?
Does it allow for it? Yes, in that it does not expressly forbid it.

Should we allow polygamy today?

No.

Paul said that Christian men should be the husband of one wife.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Does it allow for it? Yes, in that it does not expressly forbid it.

Should we allow polygamy today?

No.

Paul said that Christian men should be the husband of one wife.

Leadership is only for those who are, or who are a one wife kind of person (can any single person be a leader, was Paul not a leader, etc...).

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Leadership is only for those who are, or who are a one wife kind of person (can any single person be a leader, was Paul not a leader, etc...).

There is not two standards for leadership vs layperson.

There is only one standard, and it applies to leadership as well as the layperson.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There is not two standards for leadership vs layperson.

There is only one standard, and it applies to leadership as well as the layperson.

True, but if you aspire to the office of overseer or if you desire to be a deacon, a servant, you must meet this standard. It is a standard for leaders. All should go by it, but some may not have. They are disqualified.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
True, but if you aspire to the office of overseer or if you desire to be a deacon, a servant, you must meet this standard. It is a standard for leaders. All should go by it, but some may not have. They are disqualified.

It is a standard for all believers, not just leaders.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is a standard for all believers, not just leaders.

If it is then what do you do when the standard is not met? In some cases, sin, the sin must be undone, repented of, forgiven. Whatever is possible. Agree? What exactly must be done in what situation for your statement to be correct? In other words, would it be divorce, marrying a former wife, polygamy, etc...?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I cannot communicate with you.

good night, friend.

Okay. But you did say something. I am unsure of what it is or what it is that you meant.

I grew up with a difference between no and nope, and I have difficulty interpreting your nope. It is not something to assume about.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If it is then what do you do when the standard is not met? In some cases, sin, the sin must be undone, repented of, forgiven. Whatever is possible. Agree? What exactly must be done in what situation for your statement to be correct? In other words, would it be divorce, marrying a former wife, polygamy, etc...?

I suggest you actually read the link I gave you above. It answers most of your questions.