Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterrent to drug use?

Do you think these kinds of images work to keep people clean?

Im curious to what your response is to this kind of thing is and what you think should be done. (be warned pic is graphic so ive put it in spoiler tags, please read article first.

Horrifying pictures show parents 'overdosed on heroin' passed out in car with four-year-old boy in back seat

WARNING: DISTURBING IMAGES. 47-year-old James Acord claimed he was taking the passenger who was slumped over in the passenger seat to a hospital – but he soon collapsed himself and police were forced to call in paramedics

Spoiler
750x422

These disturbing pictures show a man and woman allegedly overdosed on heroin , collapsed in their car with a toddler in the backseat.

The shocking images have been released by police in a bid to raise awareness of the drugs epidemic.

The pair were spotted driving erratically in the City of East Liverpool, Ohio, by officers before their vehicle came to a sudden stop near a school bus full of children, according to reports.

When an officer approached the vehicle, the driver James Acord appeared intoxicated with unintelligible speech and his head bobbing back and forth.

The 47-year-old claimed he was taking Rhonda Pasek, who was slumped over in the passenger seat, to a hospital .

When he tried to drive away the officer pulled the keys out of the ignition and spotted his four-year-old child in the back seat.

Police have now released disturbing images of the pair to counter the “strong grip” heroin has on their city and discourage users from taking drugs while looking after children.

A Facebook post accompanying the pictures said: “We are well aware that some may be offended by these images and for that we are truly sorry, but it is time that the non drug using public sees what we are now dealing with on a daily basis.

“The poison known as heroin has taken a strong grip on many communities not just ours, the difference is we are willing to fight this problem until it’s gone and if that means we offend a few people along the way we are prepared to deal with that.”

Paramedics treated the pair at the scene and they were then evaluated at a local hospital.

Acord later pleaded no contest to charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and endangering children.

He was sentenced to 180 days in jail for each while investigators dropped a third charge of slowing or stopping in a road.

The passenger was charged with endangering children, public intoxication and not wearing a seatbelt.

She pleaded not guilty and is being held on a $150,000 (£113,000) bond before a September court appearance.

Her young son has been taken into the care of social services.
Read police officer's statement in full...

On Wednesday September 7, 2016 at or about 1511hrs I was traveling southbound on St Clair Ave in my personal vehicle.

I was following a dark Ford Explorer with West Virginia registration 6ZV709.

The suspect vehicle was driving very erratic (sic) weaving back and forth in the lane while driving on the yellow center and back to the right edge of the roadway.

At Prospect Street an East Liverpool School Bus was in the process of discharging children.

The suspect vehicle began to brake hard and skidded to a stop.

The bus pulled away and the suspect vehicle remained in the roadway before slowing just drifting onto Prospect Street in an angle and stopping.

I made contact with the drive (sic) who was later identified as James Acord. I noted his head bobbing back and forth his speech was almost unintelligible.

I also noted pin point pupils. I inquired as to what was going on.

James Acord stated he was taking his front seat female passenger, who was identified as Rhonda Pasek to the hospital.

He then began to try to manipulate the gear shift. I had to reach in and turn the vehicle off and remove the keys.

I also noted a 4 year old male seated in a car seat behind the front seat passenger.

He was later identified as the son of Rhonda Pasek.

The driver eventually went completely unconscious. Rhonda Pasek was completely unconscious and turning blue.

I summoned an ambulance and attempted to keep her airway open.

Lifeteam EMS responded along with Patrolman Fred Flati and Patrolman Shawn Long.

I noted Lifeteam administered several rounds of a drug known as Narcan which is commonly used to reverse an opiate overdose.

Both occupants regained consciousness and were transported to East Liverpool City Hospital for evaluation.

A yellow folded up piece of paper was located on the right front passenger seat between Rhondas Legs.

It contained a small amount of a pink powdery substance.

The evidence was packaged and will be sent to the crime lab for analysis.

The vehicle was towed from the scene by First Class Towing.

A call was also placed to Columbiana County Children’s Services.

Lore Jones responded and assisted in placing the juvenile child.

Patrolman Long transported him to the East Liverpool Police Department.

Mr. Acord was charged accordingly with 4511.19A1A (OVI), 2919.22C1 (Endangering Children-OVI) 333.04 (Slowing Stopped in Roadway).

Rhonda Pasek was charged accordingly with 2919.22A (Endangering Children), (Seatbelt) 337.2 and (Public Intoxication) 2917.11B2.

They were both housed in the Columbiana County Jail pending their Thursday September 8, 2016 court appearance.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Im curious to what your response is to this kind of thing is and what you think should be done. (be warned pic is graphic so ive put it in spoiler tags, please read article first...

Hopefully the picture will help others to see what a dead end lifestyle recreational drug use is. Hopefully it will also help those in the picture to see how they're destroying their and others lives.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Im curious to what your response is to this kind of thing is and what you think should be done. (be warned pic is graphic so ive put it in spoiler tags, please read article first.

I have mixed feelings about something like this. First, deterrence for others. As a rule I don't have much faith in deterrence because I think most people don't think they will get caught or fall into whatever they see others do. Will it make some people question their decisions, sure. But I question if it would have a significant effect.

Second, the people involved. I think something like this may have a dramatic effect on them, shaming can have a strong influence. On the other hand, is shaming conducive to the people getting the help they need or will it force them into isolation and they might get even worse.

Maybe the best of both sides is to somehow produce images that keep the people anonymous. Pictures would also be more effective with context or additional information, like how quickly a drug like heroin can produce devastating consequences.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
drug sellers and buyers should be executed - swiftly, publicly and painfully

One coroner in PA wants to start calling drug related deaths, at least some of them, homicides.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/Pa-coroner-Heroin-deaths-are-homicides.html

In one Pennsylvania county, heroin overdoses are now called homicides.

Lycoming County Coroner Charles Kiessling told PennLive.com that he has started listing homicide as the manner of death in cases where heroin was the cause.

"If you are selling heroin to someone and they die, isn't that homicide?" he said.

Kiessling told the news outlet that calling such deaths accidental downplays their severity.

"If you are dealing drugs you are a murderer," he said. "You may not know who you are killing."

A coroner's ruling of homicide specifies a manner of death and does not necessarily lead to homicide charges. And not all Pennsylvania coroners are rushing to deem such deaths homicides.

In Delaware County, heroin overdoses are typically ruled as accidental deaths, unless there is evidence of circumstances like a person being forced to take the drug against his will, said Leslie Jones, an investigator with the county medical examiner's office.

"The death certificates usually say accident," she said.

Coroners list a person's manner of death as natural, accident, suicide, homicide or undetermined. The National Association of Medical Examiner says homicide should be used to designate a death from "a volitional act committed by another person to cause fear, harm or death," according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention handbook, which adds: "Intent to cause death is a common element but is not required for classification as homicide.’’

In a handful of cases around the Philadelphia region in recent years, alleged dealers have been charged with providing heroin that led to deadly overdoses, though such prosecutions are relatively rare.

Kiessling's decision to call fatal heroin overdoses homicides comes as drug overdoses and related deaths are surging across the state, particularly among whites and women.

Interesting idea but not without problems.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have mixed feelings about something like this. First, deterrence for others. As a rule I don't have much faith in deterrence because I think most people don't think they will get caught or fall into whatever they see others do. Will it make some people question their decisions, sure. But I question if it would have a significant effect.

Is this just your uninformed opinion or do you have facts to back up that acts to deter criminal activity doesn't have an effect on immoral behavior?

Second, the people involved. I think something like this may have a dramatic effect on them, shaming can have a strong influence.
On the other hand, is shaming conducive to the people getting the help they need or will it force them into isolation and they might get even worse.

Hopefully the people who know these drug addicts will see the picture and intervene in their very harmful lifestyle.

If the drug addicts still have an ounce of decency left in them (which isn't likely if they're heroin addicts), they too might realize that they're living a dead-end lifestyle.

commonsense

A4T, why do people self-medicate or drink themselves into oblivion? This is a mental health medical issue more than a criminal matter.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
A4T, why do people self-medicate or drink themselves into oblivion?
Disobedience to God. Denial of the truth, self denial, addiction to prescription drugs after surgery or injury/illness, demonic opression/possession, etc.

This is a mental health medical issue more than a criminal matter.
False, those people in the op endangered others on the road and that child. Its certainly a criminal issue.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
drug sellers and buyers should be executed - swiftly, publicly and painfully

Pharmacies should close and pharmacists and doctors be executed along with people who got addicted because of surgery or injury/illness - loads of people are addicted today to opiates initially prescribed for pain for a myriad of reasons and are on them long term and later may seek them out when they find they dont work as good as they once did the dose goes up and up and then the expense has them turning to heroin which is cheaper, what of them?

commonsense

False, those people in the op endangered others on the road and that child. Its certainly a criminal issue.[/QUOTE]

Yes you're absolutely right, I agree its a criminal issue when others are endangered. But as to why people do this to themselves....it's a medical rather than legal issue.

commonsense

Pharmacies should close and pharmacists and doctors be executed along with people who got addicted because of surgery or injury/illness - loads of people are addicted today to opiates initially prescribed for pain for a myriad of reasons and are on them long term and later may seek them out when they find they dont work as good as they once did the dose goes up and up and then the expense has them turning to heroin which is cheaper, what of them?
This seems to me to be rather an extreme pov.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
False, those people in the op endangered others on the road and that child. Its certainly a criminal issue.

Yes you're absolutely right, I agree its a criminal issue when others are endangered. But as to why people do this to themselves....it's a medical rather than legal issue.

There is no such thing as sin that doesn't hurt anyone else. Ask that 4 year old when he gets older what it did to him.

commonsense

To be honest, the whole sin concept seems very tenuous on several levels. I appreciate that you buy into the Christian God worldview and I don't criticize you for it. I was there also in times past. But....when faith and superstition are put aside, there's precious little substance left.
Anyway, drug dependency and addiction are surely matters of the health profession, not legal.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
To be honest, the whole sin concept seems very tenuous on several levels. I appreciate that you buy into the Christian God worldview and I don't criticize you for it.
It wouldnt bother me a bit if you did, i don't answer to you.

Anyway, drug dependency and addiction are surely matters of the health profession, not legal.

The op refutes you, its a legal issue as well because its a criminal issue.