Received because Given !

beloved57

Jn 3:27

John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except
it be given him from heaven.

I want to take this opportunity to correct a very subtle error , and that is when we read the word receive in scripture that it means something was offered man and man had a choice with his own so called freewill to either accept or reject whats being offered. For instance we read in Rom 5:17

17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ)

The word receive is the same in Jn 3 27 as is here in Rom 5 17, its the word lambanō and means:

to receive (what is given), to gain, get, obtain, to get back and to view all of its definitions see:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G2983&t=KJV

Now the point being made in Rom 5:17 is they received abundance of grace not because it was offered to them, but because it was given to them. In scripture Grace is never offered but given

Ps 84:11

For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

Rom 12:3,6

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that isgiven to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

1 Cor 1:4

I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;

Remember Paul had written also of Believers that Grace was given them in Christ when ? 2 Tim 1:9

Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Even then the Grace was received by them because it was given, even before they had an actual being. So it wasn't a matter of it being offered to them then and they had a choice to reject the Grace given or accept it. No it was sovereignly given !

beloved57

Received because Given ! continued

Recalling Paul's question here Acts 19:2

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Paul doesnt mean here have you been offered the Holy Ghost as to mean have you had a chance to accept the Holy the offer of the Holy Ghost.

What Paul means has He been given to you yet ? Has He came upon you yet ? Acts 19:6

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. So they received the Holy Ghost that way, He came upon them, for God gave Him to them. Much like He gave the Holy Ghost to a group of Gentiles. Peter preached to them and He fell upon them Acts 10:44

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Later Peter says God gave the Holy Ghost to them Acts 11:17

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

So the Gentiles received the Holy Ghost because He was given to them. This helps to explain Jn 3:27

7 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

Remember we are talking about Spiritual things here and not material tangible things !

Last edited:

Nanja

[h=2]Received because Given ! continued[/h]
Recalling Paul's question here Acts 19:2

2 [FONT="]He said unto them,[B] Have ye [U]received[/U] the Holy Ghost since ye believed?[/B] And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Paul doesnt mean here have you been offered the Holy Ghost as to mean have you had a chance to accept the Holy the offer of the Holy Ghost.

What Paul means has He been given to you yet ? Has He came upon you yet ? Acts 19:6

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them,[B] the Holy Ghost[U] came on them[/U];[/B] and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. So they received the Holy Ghost that way, He came upon them, for God gave Him to them. Much like He gave the Holy Ghost to a group of Gentiles. Peter preached to them and He fell upon them Acts 10:44

44 While Peter yet spake these words, [B]the Holy Ghost fell on all them[/B] which heard the word.

Later Peter says God gave the Holy Ghost to them Acts 11:17

17 Forasmuch then as[B] God [U]gave[/U] them the like gift as he did unto us, [/B]who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

So the Gentiles received the Holy Ghost because He was given to them. This helps to explain Jn 3:27

7 John answered and said,[B] A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

[/B]Remember we are talking about Spiritual things here and not material tangible things ![/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="#006400"]Amen to both parts !

Grace was not offered to all men without exception to accept or reject, but was Given to all God's Elect which He Saved before time, and manifestly is received by them in this present time when they are called with a Holy Calling 2 Tim. 1:9. And these are the same ones exclusively which shall obtain Savation in Christ Jesus with Eternal Glory because Purpose and Grace was Given them.

2 Tim. 2:10

Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

The Elect received Grace in their Surety Christ Jesus Heb. 7:22 because of their Union in Him Eph. 1:7, so they shall also be Given Glory 1 Pet. 5:10 because they received God's Mercy from Everlasting when He Prepared them unto Glory Rom. 9:23.

beloved57

Amen to both parts !

Grace was not offered to all men without exception to accept or reject, but was Given to all God's Elect which He Saved before time, and manifestly is received by them in this present time when they are called with a Holy Calling 2 Tim. 1:9. And these are the same ones exclusively which shall obtain Savation in Christ Jesus with Eternal Glory because Purpose and Grace was Given them.

2 Tim. 2:10

Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

The Elect received Grace in their Surety Christ Jesus Heb. 7:22 because of their Union in Him Eph. 1:7, so they shall also be Given Glory 1 Pet. 5:10 because they received God's Mercy from Everlasting when He Prepared them unto Glory Rom. 9:23.
God has taught us His Truth.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Nanja

beloved57

Isa 54:13

And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

Heb. 12:6
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth

paideuō: 1. to train children,
A. to be instructed, or taught, or learn
B. to cause one to learn

and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

beloved57

1 Cor 4:7

7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

If it was the will of man which made the difference between saved and lost, then salvation would not be by the grace of God, but the work of man. Grace is God doing everything. “…who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?” (1 Cor. 4:7;Gal. 2:6). Receiving that which is of God is about God giving it, not a man accepting it [Rom 5:17. To receive is to have been given, not to have accepted. Those who are saved are saved because they have been given salvation, not because they have accepted it as an offer. Grace is received not accepted. Salvation is received not accepted.

Rom 5:17

For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

The they here which receive the abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness, receive it because its freely given to them of God by grace, they didn't accept it. Its God that caused them to differ !

Nanja

1 Cor 4:7

7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

If it was the will of man which made the difference between saved and lost, then salvation would not be by the grace of God, but the work of man. Grace is God doing everything. “…who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?” (1 Cor. 4:7;Gal. 2:6). Receiving that which is of God is about God giving it, not a man accepting it [Rom 5:17. To receive is to have been given, not to have accepted. Those who are saved are saved because they have been given salvation, not because they have accepted it as an offer. Grace is received not accepted. Salvation is received not accepted.

Rom 5:17

For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

The they here which receive the abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness, receive it because its freely given to them of God by grace, they didn't accept it. Its God that caused them to differ !

Amen Brother, sinners Christ died for make absolutely no contribution to their salvation whatsoever, such as receiving or accepting it, but it's Given to them exclusively by God's Grace alone. They all have been given forgiveness / pardon of sins, and have the Gift of Righteousness Imputed to them, even from Everlasting Rom. 4:6; 11:5 !

Robert Pate

Banned

I want to take this opportunity to correct a very subtle error , and that is when we read the word receive in scripture that it means something was offered man and man had a choice with his own so called freewill to either accept or reject whats being offered. For instance we read in Rom 5:17

17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ)

The word receive is the same in Jn 3 27 as is here in Rom 5 17, its the word lambanō and means:

to receive (what is given), to gain, get, obtain, to get back and to view all of its definitions see:

Now the point being made in Rom 5:17 is they received abundance of grace not because it was offered to them, but because it was given to them. In scripture Grace is never offered but given

For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that isgiven to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;

Remember Paul had written also of Believers that Grace was given them in Christ when ? 2 Tim 1:9

Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Even then the Grace was received by them because it was given, even before they had an actual being. So it wasn't a matter of it being offered to them then and they had a choice to reject the Grace given or accept it. No it was sovereignly given !
There is a problem with what you are teaching, because it is in conflict with other scriptures.

John wrote, "But as many as RECEIVED HIM to them gave he the power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe upon his name" John 1:12. And then Paul wrote, "You are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus, for as many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ" Galatians 3:26,27.

It appears to me that our faith in Christ and his Gospel is what makes us sons and children of God. Notice in John 1:12 it says, "Even to them that believe upon his name". The human response is that we believe upon his name.

The only way that we can be baptized into Christ is by hearing and believing the Gospel. Paul wrote, "Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (hearing and believing the Gospel) Galatians 3:2. We hear, we believe and God places us "In Christ".

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

There is no scripture that says that whatever God gives causes the person He is giving it to to receive it.

In EVERY. SINGLE. VERSE you just posted, the person who received it, did so willingly, and there was not a single passage you quoted that was not speaking of those who had already received it.

In other words, confirmation bias and question begging!

Scripture shows the OPPOSITE!

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.He was in the beginning with God.All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. - John 1:1-13 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John1:1-13&version=NKJV

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. - John 3:16-19 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John3:16-19&version=NKJV

But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. - John 5:40 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John5:40&version=NKJV

B57, surely you can't be so blinded by your own religion so as to acknowledge that God gave His Son and that even though God gave His Son to the world, the world largely rejected Him!

marke

God delights to give gifts to those who ask.

Matthew 7:11
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

beloved57

Amen Brother, sinners Christ died for make absolutely no contribution to their salvation whatsoever, such as receiving or accepting it, but it's Given to them exclusively by God's Grace alone. They all have been given forgiveness / pardon of sins, and have the Gift of Righteousness Imputed to them, even from Everlasting Rom. 4:6; 11:5 !
Amen Sister, thanks for your sharing.

beloved57

There is a problem with what you are teaching, because it is in conflict with other scriptures.

John wrote, "But as many as RECEIVED HIM to them gave he the power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe upon his name" John 1:12. And then Paul wrote, "You are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus, for as many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ" Galatians 3:26,27.

It appears to me that our faith in Christ and his Gospel is what makes us sons and children of God. Notice in John 1:12 it says, "Even to them that believe upon his name". The human response is that we believe upon his name.

The only way that we can be baptized into Christ is by hearing and believing the Gospel. Paul wrote, "Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (hearing and believing the Gospel) Galatians 3:2. We hear, we believe and God places us "In Christ".
What Im showing you is that both God giving and our receiving are the same. So for instance, those receiving Him in Jn 1:12 do so because its had been given to them to believe on His Name Ph1l 1:29

beloved57

There is no scripture that says that whatever God gives causes the person He is giving it to to receive it.

In EVERY. SINGLE. VERSE you just posted, the person who received it, did so willingly, and there was not a single passage you quoted that was not speaking of those who had already received it.

In other words, confirmation bias and question begging!

Scripture shows the OPPOSITE!

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.He was in the beginning with God.All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. - John 1:1-13 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John1:1-13&version=NKJV

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. - John 3:16-19 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John3:16-19&version=NKJV

But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. - John 5:40 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John5:40&version=NKJV

B57, surely you can't be so blinded by your own religion so as to acknowledge that God gave His Son and that even though God gave His Son to the world, the world largely rejected Him!
You still dont understand , what God gives its received because God gives it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

I just quoted scripture that says that the world rejected what God gave to them, you numbskull!

JUST READ THE TEXT!

marke

Giving and receiving do not go hand in hand. There are those who refuse to receive what God offers.

John 1:11
He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

John 12:48
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Matthew 13

20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;

21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What you stated is entirely unrelated.

What I said is COMPLETELY related!

You: "What God gives its received because God gives it."

Scripture: Jesus is the Light, who was given by the Father to the World, and the world rejected Him who the Father gave!:
Spoiler

Exactly the OPPOSITE of what you say!