Scientific proof: TheologyOnline will make you smarter

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TOL-brain.jpg

A recent study at UCLA showed that people who use the internet can actually enhance the function of their brain, it turns out that searching the internet is a type of "brain exercise".

UCLA study results.

"The results suggest that searching online may be a simple form of brain exercise that might be employed to enhance cognition in older adults," Teena D. Moody, the study's first author and UCLA researcher, said in a statement.

Results are even more impressive on test subjects that have little to no internet experience. The results suggest Internet training can stimulate neural activation patterns and could potentially enhance brain function and cognition in older adults. As the brain ages, a number of structural and functional changes occur, including atrophy, or decay, reductions in cell activity and increases in complex things like deposits of amyloid plaques and tau tangles, which can impact cognitive function.

Research has shown that mental stimulation similar to the stimulation that occurs in individuals who frequently use the Internet may affect the efficiency of cognitive processing and alter the way the brain encodes new information.

TheologyOnline.com has been known to stimulate ones mind 100 times more than just a standard internet search. On TOL, you engage in dialog, your beliefs are challenged, and you are forced to use every neuron of your mind. Therefore, it only stands to reason that TOL is a more complete brain "work-out" than normal internet usage. We believe that had UCLA studied people who participate on TOL it's likely their results would have showed dramatically different results.

Therefore... we have conducted our own study here at TheologyOnline and found some very interesting results. Our study showed that people who read TOL daily simulate their entire brain! (as noted by the image at the top of this story - note how the entire brain was stimulated). But what if study subjects were limited to reading only certain TOL member's posts? The second part of the study consisted of adults 50-75 years of age and we assigned groups of adults to read posts by specific TOL users. The results were astounding, please make of them what you will...

TOL-brains-2.jpg

Clearly more testing needs to be done but we are excited about the results. Please feel free to add your own predicted results to this thread.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There seems to be some sort of transitional confusion evidenced in the brain purusing my posits. :think:

I can't imagine why...:plain:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
But seriously, folks ...

I've been doing this since the early days of ARPA and DRPA nets. Veteran of the BBS Wars. Now comes the worldwide Internet. Been with ToL since (check profile).

I've learned a great deal from ToL. Perhaps better stated, I have learned a great deal from the participants on ToL. Opinions, pronouncements, prophecies, predictrions, etc., all have added to the mix.

From the most idiotic and stupid to the sublime and approaching-divine, I have, indeed, learned a great deal. I take this opportunity to profoundly thank the particpants for adding to the storehouse of knowledge.

My gratitude to Knight, the mods and admins, past and present, for doing what you do.

elohiym

TOL-brain.jpg

A recent study at UCLA showed that people who use the internet can actually enhance the function of their brain, it turns out that searching the internet is a type of "brain exercise".

I don't know. Clearly, participating on TOL has made some flaming liberals even dumber.

(Is it just coincidence that those brain scans match TOL's color scheme?)

fool

Hall of Fame
There seems to be some sort of transitional confusion evidenced in the brain purusing my posits. :think:

I can't imagine why...:plain:

It's upside down and purple.
We have no idea what purple means, maybe it's a good thing :idunno:

fool

Hall of Fame
TOL-brains-2.jpg

Clearly more testing needs to be done but we are excited about the results. Please feel free to add your own predicted results to this thread.

I predict a victory for the blue states in the brain reading my posts.
As long as the blue votes are for the Beer Party then all is well.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's upside down and purple.
We have no idea what purple means, maybe it's a good thing :idunno:
Research has indicated that purple (being a mix of blue and red) may show that the reader has a strong feeling that they have learned something... they just don't know what it was.

fool

Hall of Fame
Research has indicated that purple (being a mix of blue and red) may show that the reader has a strong feeling that they have learned something... they just don't know what it was.

See TH, there ya go, it's a good thing.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I predict a victory for the blue states in the brain reading my posts.
As long as the blue votes are for the Beer Party then all is well.
I'm a moderate...except when it comes to beer. Then I'm darn progressive. :cheers: