Seasonal Cooking - Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Labor day weekend traditionally marks the end of summer. School is back under way, days grow shorter and cooler, apples and winter vegetables are being harvested. I thought it would be fun to start a thread about fall cooking.

During the summer, our meals are kind of light and cool like salads. We grill a fair amount and one of our favorite things to grill are brussel sprouts along with burgers, Italian sausage, steaks and chicken. We will do a nice last BBQ on Monday (though the grill will be used all winter as well) and then its will be time to think about fall cooking.

So what are your favorite fall type recipes? Hearty soups and stews? Braised roasts? Side dishes? Desserts?

One of my favorites is pan fried pork chops with cinnamon apples. I will start with fresh apples. Typically I like to use a couple of Fuji and a couple of Granny Smith apples. I peel and core them and slice them into thin wedges. I will season the pork chops with a little salt and pepper and brown them on both sides. Next I dump the apples in and add some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Lower the heat, but a lid on and let the apples cook. Typically the apples will let off some of their water and I get a nice rich syrup that is not overly sweet. It compliments the pork chops well. If I get the thickness of the apples correct, they are done at the same time as the pork chops. This recipe usually works best with thick cut pork chops. I don't have a formal recipe for this. I am one of those people who just kinda adds stuff till it looks right, taste it about half way through and adjust the seasoning as needed.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I use my crock pot a lot during the fall. It's still too hot to use the oven but I start craving soups and stews around the middle of September. My newest "favorite" is Italian sausage cut into 1 inch pieces, zucchini, onions, potatoes, and brussels sprouts cooked in beef broth all day. Then, I add enough flour to make the broth thick. It's pretty good, especially on a cool day.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
One of my favorites is pan fried pork chops with cinnamon apples. I will start with fresh apples. Typically I like to use a couple of Fuji and a couple of Granny Smith apples. I peel and core them and slice them into thin wedges. I will season the pork chops with a little salt and pepper and brown them on both sides. Next I dump the apples in and add some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Lower the heat, but a lid on and let the apples cook. Typically the apples will let off some of their water and I get a nice rich syrup that is not overly sweet. It compliments the pork chops well. If I get the thickness of the apples correct, they are done at the same time as the pork chops. This recipe usually works best with thick cut pork chops. I don't have a formal recipe for this. I am one of those people who just kinda adds stuff till it looks right, taste it about half way through and adjust the seasoning as needed.

That sounds delicious. :)

I make fried pork chops and apples that has the pork chops first brined in apple cider, with a savory sauce made with the drippings, broth, stone ground mustard, butter and crème fraiche.

A few favorites that say "fall:"

pumpkin bread
chicken pot pie
potato soup
tortilla soup
corn bread
baked sweet potatoes
baked butternut squash

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
That sounds delicious. :)

I make fried pork chops and apples that has the pork chops first brined in apple cider, with a savory sauce made with the drippings, broth, stone ground mustard, butter and crème fraiche.

A few favorites that say "fall:"

pumpkin bread
chicken pot pie
potato soup
tortilla soup
corn bread
baked sweet potatoes
baked butternut squash

Those all sound delicious but I have to watch my carbs. It's hard for me because I love breads and cakes and cookies. I will make some ginger bread loaves for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Aside from that, I have to be watchful. On the bright side, I have lost 32 pounds because I have cut back!

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Oatmeal

Oatmeal

I love oatmeal and it us good for you but it can be a little bland. So I have started to experiment. First, I no longer cook it on the stove, I use a small single serving crock pot. Next, I use Bob's steal cut oats because I like a little tooth to my oatmeal. I like the Bob's oatmeal because it is a simple ratio that directly scales up or down. 1/4 cup oatmeal and 3/4 cup water. After that, let the experimentation begin.

One I made the other morning was pretty good. I added a couple teaspoons of brown sugar, a teaspoon of molasses, some raisins, and a pinch of nutmeg, cloves, mace and cinnamon. I have the crock pot hooked to a timer so that it only cooks for a few hours and is ready when I come in from feeding the horses. It was pretty tasty. It was a little taste of Christmas spice.

Now it's time to see if I can create a ginger snap oatmeal...

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
The crock pot is one of mankind's greatest inventions.

Hoodies, chili, football, and the smell of burning leaves. This is my favorite time of year.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
The crock pot is one of mankind's greatest inventions.

Hoodies, chili, football, and the smell of burning leaves. This is my favorite time of year.

I was never much of a fan of fall until we had kids. My oldest loves fall and it kinda rubbed off. I have to agree with you, fall is great season.

Status
Not open for further replies.