Singing with others

Caledvwlch

Who does (or has done) choral singing, in church or otherwise?

I sang in the church choir until I stopped going to church. A few years after that I started singing with an auditioned community chorus and it is a great substitute for the one thing I miss most about the church experience.

In four years I've had the pleasure to participate in singing some classic masterworks, like Mozart's Requiem, Orff's Carmina Burana, Haydn's Creation, Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man and Rutter's Gloria.

It's challenging, hard work, lots of fun, and very rewarding.

Anyway, I was just wondering if TOL has any choral singers.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber

I sang in the church choir until I stopped going to church. A few years after that I started singing with an auditioned community chorus and it is a great substitute for the one thing I miss most about the church experience.

In four years I've had the pleasure to participate in singing some classic masterworks, like Mozart's Requiem, Orff's Carmina Burana, Haydn's Creation, Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man and Rutter's Gloria.

I sang through high school. We were lucky enough to be able to sing all over CA. Not that we were that good, but our director had the hook up! :chuckle: We had a pretty eclectic mix- I remember singing stuff from Guys and Dolls, Handel's Messiah, Oklahoma, and some other show tunes. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Caledvwlch

I sang through high school. We were lucky enough to be able to sing all over CA. Not that we were that good, but our director had the hook up! :chuckle: We had a pretty eclectic mix- I remember singing stuff from Guys and Dolls, Handel's Messiah, Oklahoma, and some other show tunes. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

My favorite part, other than wearing a suit and tie for the concerts, is participating in a sound bigger than I could ever produce on my own.

Of course, this being Tuesday, rehearsal is tonight, and it's 2.5 hours in a metal folding chair. Not my favorite part.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I never sang in the church choir (or took choir as one of my electives in high school), however, I did do many solos when I attended the Free Will Baptist Church in California.

To guitar, of course.

In Jr. High, when we would do the Christmas program, there was always a problem in placing me in the right signing group.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

That's so gay.

Buzzword

I sang in school choirs from fifth grade through my third year of college.
My wife got her B.A. in Music Education, so she was in multiple choirs all the way through.

We've performed together in church many times, especially during our first three years of marriage when we helped lead worship in church.
I've also been able to accompany her singing on piano and guitar.

It's a beautiful thing when two technically sound and well-trained musicians are in love.
We love randomly breaking into harmony at home or out in public.
The only thing we fight about consistently is who has to sing the melody. :cool:

Caledvwlch

The only thing we fight about consistently is who has to sing the melody. :cool:

Singing the harmony is a blast. I was moved from the baritone section to second tenor, not because I'm a natural fit so much as they needed the numbers, but the tenor lines are way more fun.

Buzzword

Singing the harmony is a blast. I was moved from the baritone section to second tenor, not because I'm a natural fit so much as they needed the numbers, but the tenor lines are way more fun.

My wife is like that as well, being a mezzo-soprano.
She has the high range to go hardcore soprano, but enjoys the lower harmonies so much more.

I've always been a baritone-bass, so the melody is usually out of my range unless we drop the key.

My wife has a much more technical ear for harmony than I do, though I've grown since we've been together, especially after learning about her (and later developing my) almost visceral reaction to tight harmonies, especially tonal clusters and barbershop singing.

So singing with the stereo is a whole 'nuther universe for us compared to other couples.
We make a challenge of finding the most-tense note in each chord, and holding it FOREVER, until we both have goosebumps from the suspension.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
My favorite part, other than wearing a suit and tie for the concerts, is participating in a sound bigger than I could ever produce on my own.

Of course, this being Tuesday, rehearsal is tonight, and it's 2.5 hours in a metal folding chair. Not my favorite part.

I've seen kids pass smooth out from standing with their knees locked for too long. :chuckle: