'Telling the truth' doesn't always always mean don't lie

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Telling the truth doesn’t necessarily always equal telling the accurate. When Samson rightly lied to Delilah he was telling the truth, but when he told Delilah the accurate, there he erred, and grievously. He should have continued to lie. But when you hear 'lie,' you hear, 'not telling the accurate,' but 'not telling the accurate' isn’t always the same as 'not telling the truth.' Sometimes the truth is kept hidden, but we still tell the truth. We lie through our teeth when someone asks us an inappropriate and invasive question (like 'What is the secret of your strength?'). We’re not, 'not telling the truth,' we’re just 'not telling the accurate.'

What’s the proverb about keeping a thing hidden?

Sometimes, “ It is the glory of God to conceal a thing” Proverbs 25:2. Sometimes, “ A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.” Proverbs 11:3.

To tell the truth is not always to tell the accurate. Don’t be fooled into this false ethics. It’s not biblical ethics and morals. The Bible teaches us to tell the accurate only when it is not the glory of God to do otherwise. It tells us that a talebearer (in other words, a liar) ‘revealeth’ secrets; that is, sometimes, liars tell the accurate. And it is he or she or neither he nor she that is of a faithful spirit, who sometimes ‘concealeth’ the matter.

Gary K

Banned
Ah, yes we know how scrupulously Samson followed the law of God. He was involved in lying to Delilah because he was fornicating with her. Had he not been following his lustful thoughts he wouldn't have been lying to her.

Revelation 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Proverbs 3:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.*n2
6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Hoping

Banned
Telling the truth doesn’t necessarily always equal telling the accurate. When Samson rightly lied to Delilah he was telling the truth, but when he told Delilah the accurate, there he erred, and grievously. He should have continued to lie. But when you hear 'lie,' you hear, 'not telling the accurate,' but 'not telling the accurate' isn’t always the same as 'not telling the truth.' Sometimes the truth is kept hidden, but we still tell the truth. We lie through our teeth when someone asks us an inappropriate and invasive question (like 'What is the secret of your strength?'). We’re not, 'not telling the truth,' we’re just 'not telling the accurate.'

What’s the proverb about keeping a thing hidden?

Sometimes, “ It is the glory of God to conceal a thing” Proverbs 25:2. Sometimes, “ A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.” Proverbs 11:3.

To tell the truth is not always to tell the accurate. Don’t be fooled into this false ethics. It’s not biblical ethics and morals. The Bible teaches us to tell the accurate only when it is not the glory of God to do otherwise. It tells us that a talebearer (in other words, a liar) ‘revealeth’ secrets; that is, sometimes, liars tell the accurate. And it is he or she or neither he nor she that is of a faithful spirit, who sometimes ‘concealeth’ the matter.
A third option is just to be quiet.

Idolater

Ah, yes we know how scrupulously Samson followed the law of God. He was involved in lying to Delilah because he was fornicating with her. Had he not been following his lustful thoughts he wouldn't have been lying to her.
It didn't have to be Delilah who asked him. I agree with your judgment of his unchastity. Men should wait until marriage.

Idolater

A third option is just to be quiet.
Yes, true, unless someone has 'set you up' with a question where remaining silent basically means one answer or another. In other words, someone can trick you to divulge a secret by asking certain pointed questions in certain ways at certain times, where your 'bulletproof' strategy here to "be quiet" will tell them in no uncertain terms what they wanted to know and what you wanted to keep hidden.

It's always better in such cases to lie through your teeth, rather than remain silent and betray a confidence because of your misguided and amateur scrupulosity.

You should learn this lesson. I hope you do.

Gary K

Banned
Yes, true, unless someone has 'set you up' with a question where remaining silent basically means one answer or another. In other words, someone can trick you to divulge a secret by asking certain pointed questions in certain ways at certain times, where your 'bulletproof' strategy here to "be quiet" will tell them in no uncertain terms what they wanted to know and what you wanted to keep hidden.

It's always better in such cases to lie through your teeth, rather than remain silent and betray a confidence because of your misguided and amateur scrupulosity.

You should learn this lesson. I hope you do.
Ah, yes. God says do not lie unless you think the situation calls for it. God just suggests for us to obey Him unless we think differently.

Idolater

Ah, yes. God says do not lie unless you think the situation calls for it. God just suggests for us to obey Him unless we think differently.
Is Rahab the whore in the Hebrews "Hall of Fame of Faith" or not yes or no?

For lying.

Pinhead.

Bradley D

I think of Nazi Germany when Hitler was killing the Jewish people in the holocaust. People hiding them would lie if asked if they have seen any Jews. I believe that is a right lie.

Hoping

Banned
I think of Nazi Germany when Hitler was killing the Jewish people in the holocaust. People hiding them would lie if asked if they have seen any Jews. I believe that is a right lie.
No man is given the right to lie.
It is written..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)
Those close to God will find the escapes from lying.

Bradley D

No man is given the right to lie.
It is written..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)
Those close to God will find the escapes from lying.
When I wrote right I meant morally good, justified, or acceptable. How about the Jews they saved?

glorydaz

When two moral principles conflict, the greater good is best.
I'll go so far as to say that a lie can be the Fruit of the Spirit.

What is it but love and gentleness, and goodness to tell an ugly child they are beautiful?

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.