The Bible profit motive

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
The KJV could not be copyrighted. It was public domain. If you want to make money from the Bible then you must come up with a new translation. Now you know the reason so many new versions were created in the twentieth century.

kiwimacahau

The KJV could not be copyrighted. It was public domain. If you want to make money from the Bible then you must come up with a new translation. Now you know the reason so many new versions were created in the twentieth century.

The KJV is copyright in the British Commonwealth and in the UK.

daqq

I stand corrected. You are right. Which means that in order to profit from a Bible a new version must be made.

:thumb: Haha, you stand corrected, (which is nice to see someone willing to admit it once in a while) but apparently the main point from your OP also still stands. :)

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The profit motive is alive and well. Even Jesus said you cannot be enslaved to both God and a bank account.

But most translations are printed because they are translations.

It’s all about interpretation of the original Koine Greek text. And ALL translations are voted on by a committee of scholars who have to reach a consensus.

There are some Bibles available that have footnotes at the bottom of every page that list alternative translations of the words, verses or passages that are deemed important.

The so-called “inerrant Word of God” is neither inerrant nor absolute.

The diverse variety of biblical translations as well as the diverse variety of interpretations on TOL plainly tell us the Bible was and is a human product. It is “God-inspired,” not “God-written."

No finite human can absolutely channel the infinite. Alas, we must stop acting so arrogant and start being accountable for our shared humanity.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
well somebody made money off the KJV I just paid $19.97 for. plus tax
I am trying to get a good, used copy of a Parallel Bible. I lost my copy during our last move.

It has all four gospels in side-by-side columns so you can trace the inspiration of the writers.

By paying close attention, you will perhaps find that Mark was the earliest gospel we have and both Luke and Matthew used a copy of Mark when they wrote their own accounts.

They follow his exact order of things, but they use their own theologies and agendas to alter Mark's text in novel and important ways.

Sodor72

Nothing more important then making money off of religion.

dialm

BANNED
Banned
It is in the long standing shadow of Moses who wanted to have the other tribes support the Levites. :)

The story was that all the tribes were to do what only the Levites ended up doing. A long convoluted story. Sort of like the story of the Roman priesthood. It starts out one way then when the money and power and favoritism is figured out there is this mad grab.

What sealed the deal for the Levites? What sealed the deal for the Roman priesthood as we now know it?

Friday the 13th.