The Execution of Eddie Slovik

Lexington'96

Later this month will mark the 70th anniversary of Eddie Slovik, the last American to be executed for desertion on January 31, 1945. In 2005, on the 60th anniversary of his execution, Laurence Vance wrote this:

One notable example of a man who paid the ultimate price for wanting to change his job, a job that he never asked for in the first place, was Edward Donald "Eddie" Slovik (1920—1945). Slovik was a private in the U.S. Army during World War II. Today, January 31, marks the 60th anniversary of his execution by firing squad for desertion. There were 21,049 soldiers sentenced for desertion during WWII, with 49 of them receiving death sentences. However, only Slovik's death sentence was carried out. He was the first U.S. soldier to be executed for desertion since the Civil War. He was also the last, but that may soon change when Rumsfeld and Company decide to make an example of U.S. soldiers who choose to no longer participate in the war in Iraq...

Slovik faced impending death in The Battle of Hürtgen Forest, where the American army suffered 24,000 casualties during the battle and an additional 9,000 casualties due to fatigue, illness, or friendly fire. After Slovik's request to be reassigned from the front lines to the rear was refused, he deserted, voluntarily surrendered, and wrote that he would run away again if sent into combat. Confined in the division stockade and facing a court-martial, Slovik refused to return to his unit. On November 11 (Armistice Day), 1944, he was tried and pleaded not guilty, but was convicted of desertion. He wrote a letter to General Eisenhower on December 9 pleading for clemency, but on December 23, during the Battle of the Bulge, Eisenhower confirmed the death sentence...

Captain Benedict Kimmelman, a member of the court martial board, wrote in 1987 that "Slovik, guilty as many others were, was made an example, the sole example, it turned out." He considered the execution a "historic injustice." Colonel Guy Williams, another officer on the panel, said that he didn't think "a single member of that court actually believed that Slovik would ever be shot. I know I didn't believe it."

What did the US military have to gain from his execution?

RIP Eddie Slovik.

Christian Liberty

Later this month will mark the 70th anniversary of Eddie Slovik, the last American to be executed for desertion on January 31, 1945. In 2005, on the 60th anniversary of his execution, Laurence Vance wrote this:

What did the US military have to gain from his execution?

RIP Eddie Slovik.

I agree. The OT law allowed soldiers to "desert" if they were afraid to, and that was in divinely ordained holy wars. But, don't let that stop the fake theonomists here from supporting the death of Slovik...

Spitfire

Some might argue that it is something owed to the soldiers who willingly faced death at the hands of their enemies, and to those who died fighting.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
gay_smiley.gif
"We've gone from General Patton to patent leather." ~ Michael Savage Gen. 13:13, 1 Co 6:9, 2 Pe 2:6
ds_img_direct.php

Christian Liberty

The military has a Uniform Code of Justice. That's a good thing.

Where are you getting that from the Bible? Does the Bible support forcing people to slave for the military?

You guys like to quote the Bible when it comes to homosexuality, but you are antinomian on every other issue.

Christian Liberty

An Army Ranger friend tells me desertion laws need to remain in effect if nothing else--to deter others from thinking of doing the same.

So to make people fear. Where is your Biblical justification? I linked you an article proving, from the Bible, that the draft is unjust (and thus, it is clear, that forcing people who were wrongly enslaved by the army to remain is also wrong.) If you disagree, I want a BIBLICAL reason why Dr. Robbins was wrong.

Go hug a tree.

Oh, so everybody who doesn't unconditionally support the military is a tree-hugging liberal. Got it.

I dislike the government more than you do. I'm not a tree-hugger or a liberal at all.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"I'm not a tree-hugger or a liberal at all."

What other laws in the Uniform Code of Military Justice are inappropriate to your mind?

gay_smiley.gif
You prefer Sodomites defend our nation?
ds_img_direct.php
Gen. 13:13, 1 Co 6:9, 2 Pe 2:6

What do words like honor and loyalty mean to you? :smokie: Mt 8:9, Ac 10:7

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
We are permitted to die to self.

"Jn 18:36. Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world—He does not say “not over,” but “not of this world”—that is, in its origin and nature; therefore “no such kingdom as need give thee or thy master the least alarm.”

if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews—“A very convincing argument; for if His servants did not fight to prevent their King from being delivered up to His enemies, much less would they use force for the establishment of His kingdom” [WEBSTER and WILKINSON]." Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Vol. 2, p. 164). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.