The love of money is the root of all evil

marke

God said it and we can see that fact confirmed everywhere.

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The love of money is what has driven American politics into dangerous corners of wickedness and corruption. The love of money drives crooked politicians to forge crooked deals with wicked people to increase their own personal wealth, as Joe and Hunter Biden did in Ukraine, China, and Russia, if not more. The love of money has driven politicians of both parties to vote for bills that damage America and hurt Americans, but help politicians to gain greater wealth from campaign contributions and the like.

And the love of money is behind businesses pressuring politicians to back democrat pork spending bills. Flowing government money, while damaging the US economy, fattens the wallets of a lot of Americans who are in business to take advantage of flowing government money.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is pressuring House Republicans to save President Biden’s $1.2 trillion infrastructure package in the face of rising opposition from far-left Democrats.

A whip list the Chamber is using to build support for the package, obtained exclusively by The Washington Times, indicates it’s targeting 57 potential GOP members who might support a centerpiece of Mr. Biden’s domestic agenda. The Chamber hopes to flip enough Republicans to overcome heavy opposition from the 98-member Congressional Progressive Caucus, who say liberal priorities are being lost as Mr. Biden tries to sell his spending programs on the Hill.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It should be pointed out that what Jesus was talking about was covetousness. It is not money per se but the desire for that which you have not earned that is the root of all evil.

And if you think its money that has driven our politics to wickedness and corruption, you're flatly wrong. It is power that they want. These people do not care about money except to the extent to which it helps them gain and secure more power.

Indeed, the less power politicians have, the more freedom the people have and that includes economic freedom. Economic freedom is just another name for Capitalism, where your life is your own and, therefore, what you produce through the expenditure of your life is yours by right to keep, consume or otherwise dispose of as you see fit. (Matthew 20:15).

Money is nothing more than a means to exchange what you have produced for something someone else has produced. A man spends his time and talent (i.e. his life) to produce something and if he accepts money in exchange for that production then he has converted his life into money and he should love it as dearly. That money belongs to him by right just as did his own life before he agreed to make the exchange (Matthew 20:14). And just as he was free to choose the profession that earned him that money, he ought then also be free to spend that money in whatever way he sees fit so long as his doing so does not infringe on the rights of others. Thus, in a free society, economic activity is done only by mutual consent and to mutual benefit. Anyone who expects to receive that which he did not produce without the consent and compensation of him who produced it is a thief and seeks to turn the producer into a slave. What the corrupt politician doesn't understand is that a slave's production is typically far less than what is needed to purchase the whip used to force his labor and that you cannot force a man for long to produce whips in exchange for stripes on his own back. Thus, eventually, the slavery stops working and the corrupt politician, instead of realizing his error, doubles down and starts simply murdering those who refuse to be enslaved. A predictable end to a system which is fundamentally anti-life as is any system which is anti-money.

Clete

Last edited:

Gary K

Banned
Yeah, Clete. The love of money never drives people to do evil. :rolleyes:

BTW, it wasn't Jesus who said it it was Paul. Too bad you don't know the context of the verse. Marke was correct in his usage.

1Timothy 6: 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

marke

It should be pointed out that what Jesus was talking about was covetousness. It is not money per se but the desire for that which you have not earned that is the root of all evil.

And if you think its money that has driven our politics to wickedness and corruption, you're flatly wrong. It is power that they want. These people do not care about money except to the extent to which it helps them gain and secure more power.

Indeed, the less power politicians have, the more freedom the people have and that includes economic freedom. Economic freedom is just another name for Capitalism, where your life is your own and, therefore, what you produce through the expenditure of your life is yours by right to keep, consume or otherwise dispose of as you see fit. (Matthew 20:15).

Money is nothing more than a means to exchange what you have produced for something someone else has produced. A man spends his time and talent (i.e. his life) to produce something and if he accepts money in exchange for that production then he has converted his life into money and he should love it as dearly. That money belongs to him by right just as did his own life did before he agreed to make the exchange (Matthew 20:14). And just as he was free to choose the profession that earned him that money, he ought then also be free to spend that money in whatever way he sees fit so long as his doing so does not infringe on the rights of others. Thus, in a free society, economic activity is done only by mutual consent and to mutual benefit. Anyone who expects to receive that which he did not produce without the consent and compensation of him who produced it is a thief and seeks to turn the producer into a slave. What the corrupt politician doesn't understand is that a slave's production is typically far less than what is needed to purchase the whip used to force his labor and that you cannot force a man for long to produce whips in exchange for stripes on his own back. Thus, eventually, the slavery stops working and the corrupt politician, instead of realizing his error, doubles down and starts simply murdering those who refuse to be enslaved. A predictable end to a system which is fundamentally anti-life as is any system which is anti-money.

Clete

Lust for power is another driving force, but the love of money is still clearly the root of all evil.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Lust for power is another driving force, but the love of money is still clearly the root of all evil.
Saying it doesn't make it so. You can tell by their own actions that the love of money is NOT at the root of governmental corruption. It may be for some but the real players are there accumulating power. Money is just the icing on the cake.

Further, the very verse you quote tells you that it's covetousness that is being discussed, which is obvious anyway to anyone who reads the bible more than one sentence at a time. (i.e. Passages like Matthew 20 would not be possible if money was evil.)

Disagree?

Give me your money then!

No? You don't want to give me your money! Then go find someone who has no ability to earn it and give it to them.

Won't do that either?!

Well then, by your reasoning, you're clearly a greedy sprout off the root of all evil!

Last edited:

marke

Saying it doesn't make it so. You can tell by their own actions that the love of money is NOT at the root of governmental corruption. It may be for some but the real players are there accumulating power. Money is just the icing on the cake.

Further, the very verse you quote tells you that it's covetousness that is being discussed, which is obvious anyway to anyone who reads the bible more than one sentence at a time. (i.e. Passages like Matthew 20 would not be possible if money was evil.)

Disagree?

Give me your money then!

No? You don't to give me your money! Then go find someone who has no ability to earn it and give it to them.

Won't do that either?!

Well then, by your reasoning, you're clearly a greedy sprout off the root of all evil!
Murders have been committed for the love of money. Businesses that thrive on satisfying the immoral lusts of sinners do it for the money. When politicians make crooked deals with contractors, businesspeople, or special interests advocating for bad legislation the politicians do it for the money. When a judge perverts justice after being paid to do so he did it for the money.

Democrats are all about spending government money that harms the economy but helps them get rich through kickbacks, payoffs, and other deals and schemes. People who commit voter fraud do it for the money. Scientists who knowingly promote false science to satisfy the desired narratives of the organizations that pay them do it for the money.

When God says the love of money is the root of all evil then that is the truth and all other contradictory narratives are a lie.

Right Divider

Body part
1 Tim 6:10 is specifically talking about coveting money.
1Tim 6:10 (AKJV/PCE)
(6:10) For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Murders have been committed for the love of money. Businesses that thrive on satisfying the immoral lusts of sinners do it for the money. When politicians make crooked deals with contractors, businesspeople, or special interests advocating for bad legislation the politicians do it for the money. When a judge perverts justice after being paid to do so he did it for the money.

Democrats are all about spending government money that harms the economy but helps them get rich through kickbacks, payoffs, and other deals and schemes. People who commit voter fraud do it for the money. Scientists who knowingly promote false science to satisfy the desired narratives of the organizations that pay them do it for the money.
I'm here to tell you that you are flatly wrong. What you are describing is accurate for a lot of lower level mostly local politicians. The real players don't need money because they have something better than money, they have power and all they care about it keeping that power and gaining more of it. With it they can make anyone spend money that they want in any way they want.

If you think otherwise you're simply a naive that lives his life based on platitude and cliche.

When God says the love of money is the root of all evil then that is the truth and all other contradictory narratives are a lie.
You have to spend at least a little effort to stay on the same page God is on, Marke! Is Matthew 20 a lie?

The very passage you quote tells you that it is their covetousness that is the problem NOT THE MONEY!!!

If you covet something other than money, say your neighbor's wife, for example, does that make your neighbor's wife evil?

Obviously not, right?

Money is NOT evil, Marke and Jesus was NOT telling us that it is! And its a good thing that He wasn't too because if He had, it would do no less than falsify the entire New Testament!

You live your own life, all day, every day, exactly as though what I am telling you is the truth and so does everyone else, including Jesus Christ of Nazareth, by the way.

1 Tim 6:10 is specifically talking about coveting money.
So what?

Clete

marke

I'm here to tell you that you are flatly wrong. What you are describing is accurate for a lot of lower level mostly local politicians. The real players don't need money because they have something better than money, they have power and all they care about it keeping that power and gaining more of it. With it they can make anyone spend money that they want in any way they want.
The Biden family, the Clinton family, Harry Reid and many other leading democrats have had histories of pay-to-play corruption fortune seeking and international extortion schemes.

Gary K

Banned
In other words, Clete says he knows knows more than God. He is alone right and the Bible, God's word, is wrong.

I don't think I'll be bowing down to Clete anytime soon.

Arthur Brain

The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

Clearly makes more sense as it obviously isn't the base for all acts of evil that shouldn't even have to be explained to you.

marke

The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

True.

Clearly makes more sense as it obviously isn't the base for all acts of evil that shouldn't even have to be explained to you.
The love of money is what has driven poor people of the world to destroy whole civilizations in hopes of getting more of the money those richer than themselves had. The love of money is what drives disgruntled blacks in America to hate whites and want their wealth redistributed to blacks.

Arthur Brain

True.

The love of money is what has driven poor people of the world to destroy whole civilizations in hopes of getting more of the money those richer than themselves had. The love of money is what drives disgruntled blacks in America to hate whites and want their wealth redistributed to blacks.
As simplistic and ignorant as I'd expect.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yeah, Clete. The love of money never drives people to do evil. :rolleyes:

BTW, it wasn't Jesus who said it it was Paul. Too bad you don't know the context of the verse. Marke was correct in his usage.
To me the key part of that passage is "did go astray from the faith"

aka rejecting God, embracing satan

Gary K

Banned
To me the key part of that passage is "did go astray from the faith"

aka rejecting God, embracing satan
Yup. Any time we think our opinions are greater than the plain statements of the Bible we have crossed a line we should never cross. That a Christian can get to this point is both very sad and very scary.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Biden family, the Clinton family, Harry Reid and many other leading democrats have had histories of pay-to-play corruption fortune seeking and international extortion schemes.
Okay look, you are not paying attention or at least you seem to think that I'm saying more than I am because no one who understood what I'm saying would ever right the above sentence thinking that it either refuted a word I've said or that I would disagree with such an obviously true statement.

So, what I've decided to do is to try this again and come at it from a different angle because at this point I can't tell if you actually disagree with what I'm saying or if you're just instinctively rejecting the point because you can't bring yourself to be seen agreeing with anything I say because I'm the one who's saying it. We're fixing to find out...

The word used in I Timothy 6:10 that is translated "love of money" is "philargyria" which is related to a similar words "philargyos" and "aphilargyros". All three words mean essentially the same thing and are translated in the following ways....

Luke 16:14 Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money(philargyos), also heard all these things, and they derided Him.​
I Timothy 3:3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous (aphilargyros);​
I Timothy 6:10 For the love of money (philargyria) is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.​
II Timothy 3:2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money(philargyos), boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,​
Hebrews 13: 5 Let your conduct be without covetousness (aphilargyros); be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”​

In all cases the author is talking about covetousness! I am NOT saying that it okay to be greedy! Nor am I saying that politicians aren't greedy. I am not saying that politicians aren't corrupt nor am I saying that they don't do all kinds of corrupt things to line their pockets. They absolutely do and anyone who would deny such a thing is a blind idiot.

What I am saying is that MONEY IS NOT EVIL!!!!!

It is the excessive desire for money, especially money that you did not properly earn and that is not justly your own that is evil. The word in English that best conveys this idea is either "greed" or "avarice" and, in fact, many theologians and bible commentators have used this word in this context for centuries and most particularly in commentary which expounds on I Timothy 6:10 because a simple surface reading of the text in English can give a wrong impression and indeed has done exactly that! In fact, the use of the term "avarice" is very nearly ubiquitous throughout all of the English language literature on any of the subject of I Timothy 6:10 and there are even some translations of the bible that use the word "avarice". It's just literally everywhere and for good reason because it is avarice that Timothy was talking about, not money per se.

So what does the word "avarice" mean? Well, it means just what you might expect it to mean...

avarice
ăv′ə-rĭs
noun
  1. Immoderate desire for wealth; cupidity.
  2. An inordinate desire of gaining and possessing wealth; covetousness; cupidity; greediness, or insatiable desire of gain.
  3. Synonyms Avarice, Covetousness, Cupidity, penuriousness, closeness, miserliness, all denote bad qualities, corruptions of the natural instinct of possession. Avarice, literally greediness, a strong desire to get objects of value, has become limited, except in figurative uses, so as to express only a sordid and mastering desire to get wealth. Covetousness and cupidity are not limited to wealth, but may have for their object anything that can be desired, cupidity being directed especially toward material things. Covetousness longs to possess that which belongs to another; hence the prohibition in the tenth commandment (Ex. xx. 17). Cupidity is more active than the others, less groveling, and more ready to snatch from others that which covetousness may wish for without trying to get. See penurious.

In politics, avarice and corruption go hand in hand. So much so that they are effectively the same thing, the later being the former being put into practice.

The point here being that it is not money that is the problem but the sin of covetousness in the context of money. Money is good! Money is amazing! Money is your expended life itself given physical form and money will improve your life in every conceivable way but only so long as you desire only that which belongs to you by right. The lust for money that you have not earned will turn money into your worst enemy to the point of delivering you to death and the fires of Hell itself.

Clete

marke

Okay look, you are not paying attention or at least you seem to think that I'm saying more than I am because no one who understood what I'm saying would ever right the above sentence thinking that it either refuted a word I've said or that I would disagree with such an obviously true statement.

So, what I've decided to do is to try this again and come at it from a different angle because at this point I can't tell if you actually disagree with what I'm saying or if you're just instinctively rejecting the point because you can't bring yourself to be seen agreeing with anything I say because I'm the one who's saying it. We're fixing to find out...

The word used in I Timothy 6:10 that is translated "love of money" is "philargyria" which is related to a similar words "philargyos" and "aphilargyros". All three words mean essentially the same thing and are translated in the following ways....

Luke 16:14 Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money(philargyos), also heard all these things, and they derided Him.​
I Timothy 3:3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous (aphilargyros);​
I Timothy 6:10 For the love of money (philargyria) is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.​
II Timothy 3:2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money(philargyos), boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,​
Hebrews 13: 5 Let your conduct be without covetousness (aphilargyros); be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”​

In all cases the author is talking about covetousness! I am NOT saying that it okay to be greedy! Nor am I saying that politicians aren't greedy. I am not saying that politicians aren't corrupt nor am I saying that they don't do all kinds of corrupt things to line their pockets. They absolutely do and anyone who would deny such a thing is a blind idiot.

What I am saying is that MONEY IS NOT EVIL!!!!!

It is the excessive desire for money, especially money that you did not properly earn and that is not justly your own that is evil. The word in English that best conveys this idea is either "greed" or "avarice" and, in fact, many theologians and bible commentators have used this word in this context for centuries and most particularly in commentary which expounds on I Timothy 6:10 because a simple surface reading of the text in English can give a wrong impression and indeed has done exactly that! In fact, the use of the term "avarice" is very nearly ubiquitous throughout all of the English language literature on any of the subject of I Timothy 6:10 and there are even some translations of the bible that use the word "avarice". It's just literally everywhere and for good reason because it is avarice that Timothy was talking about, not money per se.

So what does the word "avarice" mean? Well, it means just what you might expect it to mean...

avarice​
ăv′ə-rĭs​
noun​
  1. Immoderate desire for wealth; cupidity.
  2. An inordinate desire of gaining and possessing wealth; covetousness; cupidity; greediness, or insatiable desire of gain.
  3. Synonyms Avarice, Covetousness, Cupidity, penuriousness, closeness, miserliness, all denote bad qualities, corruptions of the natural instinct of possession. Avarice, literally greediness, a strong desire to get objects of value, has become limited, except in figurative uses, so as to express only a sordid and mastering desire to get wealth. Covetousness and cupidity are not limited to wealth, but may have for their object anything that can be desired, cupidity being directed especially toward material things. Covetousness longs to possess that which belongs to another; hence the prohibition in the tenth commandment (Ex. xx. 17). Cupidity is more active than the others, less groveling, and more ready to snatch from others that which covetousness may wish for without trying to get. See penurious.

In politics, avarice and corruption go hand in hand. So much so that they are effectively the same thing, the later being the former being put into practice.

The point here being that it is not money that is the problem but the sin of covetousness in the context of money. Money is good! Money is amazing! Money is your expended life itself given physical form and money will improve your life in every conceivable way but only so long as you desire only that which belongs to you by right. The lust for money that you have not earned will turn money into your worst enemy to the point of delivering you to death and the fires of Hell itself.

Clete
Money is not evil but covetousness is a great evil, an evil that God equates with idolatry. There are two main divisions of sinners, those who love God more than anything and those who love money more than God. Jesus said a sinner will either love God or love money, but not both.

Arthur Brain

As simplistic and ignorant as I have long ago come to expect from you. You're nothing but a shill and troll.
Well, with all due lack of respect, the opinion of some conspiracy nut who calls me a 'professional disinformation agent' is worth as much to me as any other of your loony tune posts.