Votes: 1 1.9%
  • $21-25 per gallon

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Who cares. I'm rich.

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

Lucky

Hall of Fame
At what point will you stop using your gas-powered personal vehicle for everyday transportation? Have you already started using alternatives?

I'm just curious. The gas jumped to 3.44 this morning. The last time I was at the pump it was 3.19. I probably couldn't pay more than $5-6 a gallon. It's already draining my wallet and my car gets decent gas mileage.

Last edited:

nicholsmom

I drive a diesel truck. My husband can make bio-diesel for about a buck a gallon. He can add an extra tank & delivery system to it so that once the engine is hot, it will run on filtered, used vegetable oil (from KFC or McDs or the local Chinese buffet).

Way before fuel gets to $5/gal, we'll just quit buying the stuff, but that doesn't mean that we'll quit driving. Oh no.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Times are tough aren't they?

I guess I will pay whatever I have to pay, but I will be forced to drive dramatically less. And it isn't just gas, all my energy bills are way up.

Income way down.... expenses way up.... not a good combination.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
nicholsmom,
That seems like a good deal now. However, once everyone with a diesel is hitting up restaurants for their oil, they'll just start selling it for the price of gas.

Silk Queen

I try and get as many things done in one trip now, I used to not even think about gas prices but I try and perserve now and drive only when necessary which still amounts to everyday.

nicholsmom

nicholsmom,
That seems like a good deal now. However, once everyone with a diesel is hitting up restaurants for their oil, they'll just start selling it for the price of gas.

I figure I've got a few good years at this - maybe even 10, since there aren't that many people who are as handy as my hubby. It's better than none, and maybe before that we'll get to the point where the people blocking the way of drilling & refining here in the US will get out of the way & prices will come down.

Tell me this: why is it that ecologists think it's okay to drill in Iraq, but not okay to drill here? Or do we think that the ecologists are hiking everywhere or taking a horse-drawn buggy (because electricity is also generated by the burning of fossil fuels)?

Last edited:

fool

Hall of Fame
People need to wake up and smell hydrocarbons.
You house should be covered with solar panels and your car should have a battery, not a gas tank.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I hit my limit at 3.25. I bought a scooter :zoomin: that gets 60 to 70 mpg. $75 per tank verse $6 per tank. It works for me!

fool

Hall of Fame
Cabinets are just a hobby. I am an electrical engineer by trade and my calculator fists just fine under the seat.

Well there ya go.
I don't need a cheaper fuel, I need a different job.
Are they hireing? I have a multimeter that will fit in my backpack, I could walk.....

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Well there ya go.
I don't need a cheaper fuel, I need a different job.
Are they hireing? I have a multimeter that will fit in my backpack, I could walk.....
How much experience do you have with power, field work and reading schematics? How do you feel about Colorado?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I hit my limit at 3.25. I bought a scooter :zoomin: that gets 60 to 70 mpg. $75 per tank verse $6 per tank. It works for me!
Nice. I would like to get a motorcycle, maybe a dual sport, but so far it's still cheaper for me to drive than to spend $5k on a bike and a few more Benjamins on safety classes, gear, and licensing.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:think:

$5 - $6

We can tote our oxygen tanks and walk to Target, it is across the street.

We can walk to the healthcare center on a good day, it is 1.5 miles away from us, and the take bus on otherwise days.

Our drives are - To our daughter's 25 miles away, once a week. She takes us to Walmart on those days, and Kroger's
(In Houston, King Sooper's in Denver).

We have been fortunate that we fill-up twice a month.

That's​
- 30 -​
:scripto:. . Psalmist

Last edited:

Imagine

Well, I can't afford it as it is, but what can one do? I happen to live in the sticks of Maine, so what can I do but pay what is needed to get around? Luckily I currently work a few miles from home, so I don't use much, but this job is just a school year one, so after that I will probably be traveling up to 70+ miles a day to get to and from work. :(

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:guitar: :upright: :drum:

LORD, MR. FORD
(Dick Feller)
Jerry Reed - 1973

Well, if you're one of the millions who own one of them gas drinking, piston clinking,
air polluting, smoke belching, four wheeled buggies from Detroit City, then pay attention;
I'm about to sing your song son.

Well, I'm not a man appointed judge
To bear ill-will and hold a grudge
But I think it's time I said me a few choice words
All about that demon automobile
A metal box with the polyglass wheels
The end result to the dream of Henry Ford

Well, I've got a car that's mine alone
That me and the finance company own
A ready made pile of manufactured grief
And if I ain't out of gas in the pouring rain
I'm a-changing a flat in a hurricane
I once spent three days lost on a cloverleaf

Well, it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam
That makes me the bitter fool I am
But this four wheel buggy is a-dollaring me to death
For gas and oils and fluids and grease
And wires and tires and anti-freeze
And them accessories, well honey that's something else

Well, you can get a stereo tape and a color tv
Get a backseat bar and reclining seats
And just pay once a month, like you do your rent
Well, I figured it up and over a period of time
This four thousand dollar car of mine
Costs fourteen thousand dollars and ninety-nine cents

Well, now Lord Mr. Ford, I just wish that you could see
What your simple horseless carriage has become
Well, it seems your contribution to man
To say the least, got a little out of hand
Well, Lord Mr. Ford, what have you done

Now the average American father and mother
Own one whole car and half another
And I bet that half a car is a trick to buy, don't you?
But the thing that amazes me I guess
Is the way we measure a man's success
By the kind of an automobile he can afford to buy

Well now, red light, green light, traffic cop
Right turn, no turn, must turn, stop
Get out the credit card honey, we're out of gas
Well, now all the car's placed end to end
Would reach to the moon and back again
And there'd probably be some fool pull out to pass

Well now, how I yearn for the good old days
Without that carbon monoxide haze
A-hanging over the roar of the interstate
Well, if the Lord that made the moon and stars
Would have meant for me and you to have cars
He'd have seen that we was all born with a parking space

Lord Mr. Ford, I just wish that you could see
What your simple horseless carriage has become
Well, it seems your contribution to man
To say the least, got a little out of hand
Well, Lord Mr. Ford, what have you done

Come away with me Lucille
In my smoking, choking automobile

:crackup:​

That's​
- 30 -​
:scripto:. . Psalmist

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I figure I've got a few good years at this - maybe even 10, since there aren't that many people who are as handy as my hubby. It's better than none, and maybe before that we'll get to the point where the people blocking the way of drilling & refining here in the US will get out of the way & prices will come down.

Tell me this: why is it that ecologists think it's okay to drill in Iraq, but not okay to drill here? Or do we think that the ecologists are hiking everywhere or taking a horse-drawn buggy (because electricity is also generated by the burning of fossil fuels)?

For one thing, they aren't ecologists. They are enviormentalists. They are people who want to remove the United States from being the only economic super power. And with Hillary, Barack, and John, they will have an ally at their side.

By stopping the use of fuel, it will force people to work closer to their house, settling for less money. This is a large drawn up plan by them. Just like the global warming they made up. Global warming is the other path to bring the US down. Mean while, the commies in China have shed some of their commieness, and are going to leave us in the dust, with workers who will do what we do for a dollar a day. Tangent, I know. We are doing it to ourselves. And we keep pusing policy that only makes it worse.

nicholsmom

You house should be covered with solar panels and your car should have a battery, not a gas tank.

What do you drive? Shall those batteries charge themselves, or will you plug it into the magical receptacle? Do you power your home with solar? Wind (pity the poor birds who get chopped up)? Hydro-electric? Or do you pipe it in from the power company (fossil fuel burning plants)? The best bet for efficient, clean energy is nuclear, but the "environmentalists" put a stop to that, for the most part.

But then, maybe you were saying these things tongue-in-cheek. If so, put a chuckle on there or something.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Perhaps our European users could tell us how much they pay at the pump. A quick search says they're used to paying double so basically $7/gallon.

fool

Hall of Fame

Nick M neg repped my for this post.
What exactly about this post is neg worthy?