The narrow gate

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Matthew 7:13-14 NKJV​

"There are few who find it."

How many is "few"?

Could it be one?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Robert Pate

Banned
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

How many is "few"?

Could it be one?

The broad way that leads to destruction is the way of religion. The strait gate and the narrow way is Jesus Christ and his Gospel. Only about 10% of professing Christians are trusting in Christ and his Gospel.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The broad way that leads to destruction is the way of religion. The strait gate and the narrow way is Jesus Christ and his Gospel. Only about 10% of professing Christians are trusting in Christ and his Gospel.
You're MAD, right? This analogy is pre-mid-Acts. Should MAD be co-opting it?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The pastor was saying something similar in Sunday, that the broad path was legalism.

However, given that the gospel at the time was the law, only one man has ever beaten that.

So might the "few" be only One?

MennoSota

John Bunyan's allegory, Pilgrims Progress, does a nice job of expressing the idea of the narrow gate. In his allegory Bunyan calls it the Wicket gate. There is an attendant who lets Christian in by the gate. Those who attempt to hop over the gate fall short.

Robert Pate

Banned
The pastor was saying something similar in Sunday, that the broad path was legalism.

However, given that the gospel at the time was the law, only one man has ever beaten that.

The law was never the Gospel. In the Old Testament people were saved by faith in God's promise of a savior, Romans 4:3.

Right Divider

Body part

1. There is no such thing at "the gospel of the law"
  2. The word "few" never refers to just one of anything. There is a word for one: "one".

GregoryN

1. Jesus says "FEW" were finding it (Mt.7:13-14)
2. Paul says "MANY" will be saved (Rom.5:18-19)

Both are right.

Jesus was referring to the situation at His time in the first century, not final destiny.

Bible versions don't say "few will EVER find it". This Greek Interliner says "finding":

Matthew 7:14 Interlinear: how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Young's Literal Translation
how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Matthew 7:14 is in the present tense, few "finding" it, speaking of that particular time, not of final destiny. Earlier in Matthew final destiny was already revealed re salvation:

Mt.1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Mt.2:6b ...my people Israel.

"Pay attention to the Greek verb tenses.
“Enter (eiselthate | εἰσέλθατε | aor act imperative 2 pl) through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and easy the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter(eiserchomenoi | εἰσερχόμενοι | pres mid ptcp nom pl masc) through it. Matt 7:13"

"How narrow is the gate and difficult the way that leads to life, and few are those who find (heuriskontes | εὑρίσκοντες | pres act ptcp nom pl masc) it! Matt 7:14"

"In v.13 the word for 'enter' is the Greek word 'eiserchomenoi' which as noted is a present tense participle more accurately translated as 'entering.' Thus all this verse is saying is that there are many who are presently entering the wide gate. This verse does not refer at all to sometime in the future where people may or may not be resurrected out of the lake of fire. If it did, this verse would employ the future tense of the verb - but it doesn't. We can only say what this verse states - simply that when Jesus spoke these words, many are entering the broad gate/road."

"Same thing with v.14. The word for 'find' is 'heuriskontes' which is a present tense participle. Thus few people are currently 'finding' the narrow gate. No reference at all to the future."

Note the word "many", not "few":

Rom 5:18 Consequently, then, as it was through one offense for ALL MANKIND for condemnation, thus also it is through one just act for ALL MANKIND for life's justifying."

Rom 5:19 For even as, through the disobedience of the one man, THE MANY were constituted sinners, thus also, through the obedience of the One, THE MANY shall be constituted just."

Paul makes a parallel between "the many" who were condemned & sinners and those who will be justified & constituted just.

“In Romans 5, the justification is co-extensive with the condemnation. Since all share in one, all share in the other. If only a certain portion of the human race had partaken of the sin of Adam, only a certain portion would partake of the justification of Christ. But St. Paul affirms all to have been involved in one, and all to be included in the other.”

Therefore there is salvation after death. And corrective punishment.

Jesus shall see of the travail of His soul & be satisfied. Not satisfied a little bit, but the vast majority fried alive forever.

"He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities." (Isa.53:11).

For how "many" (not few) did He "bear their iniquities"? All. Those will He "justify" (Isa.53:11).

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf

Faither

BANNED
Banned

How many is "few"?

Could it be one?

I think ," a few " means not very many . I'll look at the Greek texts about it later . But this is a great question stripe . I also think the wide path or gate are the kingdoms Satan offered Jesus , still in operation today . It's all about Faith and faithing . But the understanding of these two things are all but lost . I think the few are the ones who actually connect to Jesus by pisteuo , "a personal surrender to Him, and a life inspired by such surrender " . It's right there in the Vines Greek dictionary , and it's rejected by all.

Faither

BANNED
Banned

How many is "few"?

Could it be one?

If this is true , and I absolutely think it is , this has many other repercussions .

This also means, only a few .
1) have the Holy Spirit sealed in them .
2) have Christ .
3) have legitimate claim to God's Word.
4) have legitimate claim to God's promises in His Word .
5) only a few will find the narrow path , but an even much smaller number will be given the gift to teach how .

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
  1. There is no such thing at "the gospel of the law"
  2. The word "few" never refers to just one of anything. There is a word for one: "one".
The problem I see with this passage as it is generally applied to modern-day salvation is that the "few" find the path. That would put the certainty of their salvation in their own hands.

Right Divider

Body part
The problem I see with this passage as it is generally applied to modern-day salvation is that the "few" find the path. That would put the certainty of their salvation in their own hands.
You're going to have to explain that, because I don't see your logic in that idea.

The number of people receiving salvation has nothing to do with how they receive it.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You're going to have to explain that, because I don't see your logic in that idea.

The number of people receiving salvation has nothing to do with how they receive it.
It's not about the number, it's about how men are saved. This analogy suggests it has something to do with man's effort.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
It's not about the number, it's about how men are saved. This analogy suggests it has something to do with man's effort.

Ah , 99% of the church world thinks Faith and faithing requires no effort . That is the wide path ! Faithing into Christ is "A personal surrender to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender ." This is faithing effort , not effort trying to replace or better what Christ finished and completed on Calvary , Grace !

This is why only a few find the narrow path , people want there to be no effort to have a relationship with Christ . He'll say " I never knew you !"