The Rump Congress and the Christmas Coup

rexlunae

It's sure looking like we're facing an impending coup.

Donald Trump is an authoritarian who does not recognize the rule of law, and does not permit any sort of accountability for himself. He has been attacking the investigations against him all year, but in the last week, members of his own party have been both attempting to shut down the investigations into Russian interference with the 2016 election, with the loud encouragement of his propaganda wing at Fox News.

So, what I think is about to happen is this: Like in 1973, there will be a second Saturday Night Massacre. Some number of Justice Department officials will be fired, until someone can be found to remove Robert Mueller. Unlike 1973, however, Republicans will not move against this abrogation of the Constitutional order. Republicans right now are so ideologically driven, and so committed to Trump, and so determined to get as many goodies for their wealthy patrons as they can, that they have essentially turned the US Congress into a rump Congress where the minority is not heard or represented, and they don't have input on legislation. Meanwhile, the Democrats are so committed to the old Constitutional order that they still believe this stuff can't happen here and they are engaged in business as usual without necessary planning for what happens when Trump seizes power and shuts down the regular Justice Department and FBI function of holding the administration to account.

2018 will be a dark year for America, and for anyone with an interest in peace, freedom, democracy, the truth and the free press, or the rule of law. And it's coming fast. And most of the people here will be cheering it on the whole way into the abyss. But it is make-or-break for the ability to save the Republic.

rexlunae

I will be happy when the democrats get congress, but are denied the presidency by republicans. It will be interesting.

That could happen in about a year, but what happens between now and then matters a lot. If Trump is allowed to overthrow the accountability mechanisms that are currently investigating him, he could silence any form of criticism, even mess with the election. If he's willing to cheat to win once, he'll do it again.

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
That could happen in about a year, but what happens between now and then matters a lot. If Trump is allowed to overthrow the accountability mechanisms that are currently investigating him, he could silence any form of criticism, even mess with the election. If he's willing to cheat to win once, he'll do it again.

Trump won't be able to do so. And I am almost certain Mike Pence will be the first conservative POTUS.

rexlunae

Trump won't be able to do so.

I wouldn't take that for granted. He's moving pretty clearly against Bob Mueller, and his party seems to be going along more than ever. I think some Republicans were happy to let the investigation continue as long as it wasn't threatening them, but now that it's finding things, it's pretty clear that if it continues, it will engulf the entire administration, and so they are likely to do anything they can to stop it.

And I am almost certain Mike Pence will be the first conservative POTUS.

I take no position on that. I will hate any President Pence. I am also entirely committed to making him President as quickly as possible, for as little time as possible.

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
I wouldn't take that for granted. He's moving pretty clearly against Bob Mueller, and his party seems to be going along more than ever. I think some Republicans were happy to let the investigation continue as long as it wasn't threatening them, but now that it's finding things, it's pretty clear that if it continues, it will engulf the entire administration, and so they are likely to do anything they can to stop it.
The media helped place Trump in the White House, because they knew he is both harmless and incompetent. It is one big joke to the media. That is how I see it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
:rotfl:

rexlunae

Yesterday, Putin and Trump spoke secretly by phone (we only learned of it when Reuters translated a Russian source), and today Trump and Putin are saying nearly the same things about Trump. The reality that we find ourselves in is when where the "president" of the United States is in a sort of messaging union with the dictator of Russia.

And he's still denying "collusion" (read "conspiracy").

rexlunae

huh? The media know(s) Trump well. Do you have a problem believing this?

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by it, is all. I think there's a lot of information out there about Trump, but it's only sort of coming out now what kind of man he is and what his motivations are.