TOL is migrating to a new platform

Sherman

I eat Trolls, Spammers, and Loons
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It should be this friday - in the evening when most of you are going to bed. There's no way around it. Vbulletin is broken and there is no fix. It's going to get more broken. Some websites have crashed with it. We don't want that happening with TOL. We have not been able to fix it. The Admin roundtable has decided on Xenforo. The look of the site will change. We are going to try and migrate the avatars, but to be on the safe side, save them on your computer before friday so you can restore them. You can also possibly find higher definition versions of them by googling the image.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Vbulletin is broken and there is no fix. It's going to get more broken. Some websites have crashed with it. We don't want that happening with TOL. We have not been able to fix it.

Is that why I've been getting spammed with hundreds of individual emails instead of a few email threads per day?

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That may be. After the migration the site will work much better. I am a member of another site that was Vbulletin - same version that was a lot more broken than our site. The board was so broken that it kept deleting user accounts. It migrated successfully and the site works really well.

Just be prepared the look is going to be different. Because we are migrating from a broken board - not everything may migrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
As long as it fixes the email spam, I'll be happy :)

Bob Carabbio

It should be this friday - in the evening when most of you are going to bed. There's no way around it. Vbulletin is broken and there is no fix. It's going to get more broken. Some websites have crashed with it. We don't want that happening with TOL. We have not been able to fix it. The Admin roundtable has decided on Xenforo. The look of the site will change. We are going to try and migrate the avatars, but to be on the safe side, save them on your computer before friday so you can restore them. You can also possibly find higher definition versions of them by googling the image.

CARM wasn't able to migrate avatars when they went over to Xenforo, and Can't upload avatars or pictures yet after a week or so.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
CARM was is far worse shape than us. Fortunately I know how to tinker with the software. I was able to fix the Vbulletin avatars to get them presentable and to set the upload file size so members could attach pictures to their posts. It looks like the CARM Admins don't know how to do that.

Bob Carabbio

CARM was is far worse shape than us. Fortunately I know how to tinker with the software. I was able to fix the Vbulletin avatars to get them presentable and to set the upload file size so members could attach pictures to their posts. It looks like the CARM Admins don't know how to do that.

Probably not. Matt was pretty frustrated. This week, though, we gained the ability to add Avitars, but there's still the occasional glitch. It's the Third "Platform change" they've been through over the 20 years I've been there.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Probably not. Matt was pretty frustrated. This week, though, we gained the ability to add Avitars, but there's still the occasional glitch. It's the Third "Platform change" they've been through over the 20 years I've been there.

I will compliment your staff on getting their board working. It looks very nice, it is easy on the eyes and it is very fast loading. Kudos on getting the graphics working and getting it up and going again. It makes me very optimistic for our migration which starting out TOL isn't as broken because it hasn't had as many updates and isn't as big. Matt's board was enormous until Vbulletin gave it the shaft with their lousy updates. Vbulletin hurt a lot of sites with their last two upgrades. So like Matt - we are dropping Vbulletin too.

After the migration, this site should be just as easy to use. Members will be able to upload avatars and even have a profile banner. It will be a lot friendlier for cellphone users.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The site is staying around. The tech right now has a bad flu bug. We are waiting on his recovery.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So, the opening post was made almost exactly one month ago. Is this change still in the works?