TOL: Quincy's Interview Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As some of you know, Q has started a series of voluntary interviews. My hope is that this reflection, a closed thread where only the actual interviews will be published, will act as a helpful reference and insight for both the new kids and established players and become a thread of record for some time to come.

The original thread, Interview a Member, will now be relegated to a meeting place for volunteering and general discussion, both of the interviews and potential suggestions/contributions. This thread will serve as an uncluttered access point in which each interview is given it's own post and can be expanded with additional material in the future.

The first addition? My "The Ten".

I think Q's idea is one of the better in my time here and I hope you agree.

Enjoy! :e4e:

I'll post a link to the beginning of that series.

The First Series, 19 Interviews by post number:
Spoiler

2. Coffee is King

3. Arthur Brain

4. Thunder's Muse

5. Quincy

6. Godrulz

7. Traditio

8. Town Heretic

9. Granite

10. Inzl Kett

11. AMR

12. ebenz

13. bybee

14. ragTagblues

15. Knight

16. rocketman

17. Selaphiel

18. SoJ

19. ktoyou

20. Guyver

The Second Series, 20 interviews by post number: (link)
Spoiler

22. chickenman

23. noguru

24. PureX

25. MrDeets

26. rexlunae

27. Random

28. TomO

29. tambora

30. Nang

31. vegascowboy

32. Psalmist

33. Maximeee

34. MrRadish

35. MaryContrary

36. Student X

37. Lon

38. Angel4Truth

39. Buzzword

40. John Mortimer

41. graceandpeace

42. SOZO

The Third Series, 20 interviews by post number:
Spoiler

43. Grosnick Marowbe

44. Delmar

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Coffee is King

Coffee is King

The Interview:
Spoiler

James: So, Coffee is King, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname, as obvious as it may seem?

CiK: Pretty much the obvious. I drink about 3-4 cups of regular (black, no cream or sugar) in the morning and about 2-3 cups of decaf at night.

How did you find TOL?

Through a google search. I was looking for a politics and religion forum, and this one caught my eye. I'm glad it did.

How would you rank it among other forums you have participated in?

I am very new to forums, and am only on one other one. The styles (and discussion topics) are wildly different.

If I looked at your favorites list in your web browser, what would I likely find?

TOL, The Vault (fallout wiki), Axis History Factbook, UESP (Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages)

If you had a million dollars what would you use it for?

I would give half to the ex as she has custody of the kids. I would be able to give the Phoenix Rescue Mission more money than I normally do, as well as some other homeless shelters. Then I would buy my Mom a house and get me a nice apartment. Oh, and probably buy a Lifetime Membership on TOL.

If you could invent one thing what would it be?

A machine that could generate free electricity, thereby providing needy families with power free of charge.

If you could cure one disease, which one do you choose?

Cancer. While I have schizophrenia, it isn't deadly. I lost both of my grandparents to cancer.

What color is your room?

LOL, white.

:chuckle: Are the walls soft? J/k :)

Do you have a favorite brand for things like cars, clothing or electronics?

Actually no, but I do like Cadillac.

How would you describe your political views?

Right-wing, but largely moderate.

You list as a Christian Other, and have mentioned having unique views of your own. How would you describe these?

I also have Spiritualist (ghosts, spirits, able to speak to them) views and Animist (animals have souls, trees are aware) views.

As all our lives have a natural ebb and flow that we experience, do you recall what was the greatest test you ever faced?

Becoming a father. I only get one shot at it.

What was the happiest moment of your life?

March 1, 2010. My girls were born.

What would we all be surprised to find out about you?

I once attempted to chase down a mountain lion that came too close to our camp. I then realized after 2 hours of "stalking" it that I had no idea what I was doing and was lost with no food in the woods. Well, maybe that's not that surprising...

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of God given wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

It takes 15 minutes to become a father, but a lifetime to be a daddy.

God bless, James.

God bless you too, my brother :). Thank you much!

The Ten:
Spoiler

1. What is your favorite word?

Sure

2. What is your least favorite word?

No

3. What sound or noise do you love?

My kids laughing

4. What sound or noise do you hate?

My kids fighting.

5. What's the last thing that made you smile?

Diamond (one of my daughters) not wanting to go home with her mom but wanting to stay with me. It made me sad at the same time.

6. Describe yourself in three words.

Tall White guy

7. If you were only allowed to retain only two possessions what would they be?

My glasses and lighter

8. Is it better to be loved or respected.

Loved.

9. What is the proudest accomplishment of your life?

Becoming a dad.

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Arthur Brain

Arthur Brain

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, Arthur Brain, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Arthur Brain: I think it may have been a hangover....if not it was an attempt at a jocular handle with 25% truth attached.

Did you know it is also the name of a famous cartoon character in the US aired on PBS?

I had no idea....

At least we know you don't support public broadcasting now :eek:

How did you find TOL?

Through a recommendation from a poster on CF who was also posting on here at the time. On here he was called Zadok and the rest followed....

The most addictive by far. In part that's due to the design and the sheer diversity of members both 'foes' and friend alike. Others either lack traffic or the moderation overall is either too rigid or too lax in my experience.

If I looked at your favorites list in your web browser, what would I likely find?

IMDB.com, Youtube, music sites, a chess forum and the rest is secret.....

Ah, I see. Kind of like treasure but without the map!

Plastic surgery.

After that then I'd give so much to family, friends, charity, and try to set up a recording studio.

An interesting answer to this question....

If only the one, then after consideration I'd have to say cancer.

What color is your room?

Brown.

Not really in regards to the former two as I don't drive and I'm not that fashion oriented. A pair of jeans is denim no matter what the label or price. Re: electronics. Depends on what it is. Sony for TV's and Korg for musical keyboards/synths when I have funds. Sennheiser for headphones and Nokia for phones also but I often make do with others....

Depends on the subject really though I'd mostly classify myself as 'moderate'.

You list as an Other, yet you often engage in religious debates on Christian topics. What inspires you to not use a label?

Because a label is worth nothing in itself IMO, and I don't like to be tagged according to how others think one should believe in light of such. I don't view people as how they advertise themselves but rather the content of what they put forth.

As all our lives have a natural ebb and flow that we experience, do you recall what was the greatest test you ever faced?

Well, the greatest one for me was personal so I can't go into detail, though overall I'd have to say I failed it to be quite honest. Lessons learned and all....

Before I failed the above....

That I am in fact a complete git.

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of God given wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

Think things through and don't act on rash impulse alone, where to do so can hurt others and lead to loss and regret. Consider your actions and words before embarking on such and how it could affect others along with yourself.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Effervescent

Gunk

Church bells

Doorbells....

Smile? Whats that? :plain:

A complete berk

Laptop and CD's

Loved.

Not being proud....:eek:

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thunder's Muse

Thunder's Muse

The Interview:
Spoiler

James: So, Thunder's Muse, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Thunder's Muse: When I met my partner, his screen name was Thunder. He is a songwriter and I inspire his music...so, Thunder's Muse

How did you find TOL?

Well. I met this guy called Quincy in a Paranormal Forum on myspace. We started chatting and became really good friends. During our many discussions on spirituality, he told me about TOL and suggested I join...and here I am!

And those were fun times, I sometimes miss myspace.

I have tried other forums but have not found the same connection and acceptance as I have on TOL. I think people are more free to be themselves here as compared to other forums where the conversation is so polite, it's almost as annoying as the mindless bickering here on TOL

Haha! Um... skincare/cosmetic websites, paranormal websites, online digital newspapers (1853-1970), cemetery listing websites, Australian history websites etc etc....

[COLOR="sienna"[I]Buy a property out of town a little, settle debts, put some $$ away for my kids, give the rest away...[/I][/COLOR]

[B]If you could invent one thing what would it be? [/B]

[COLOR="sienna"]A time machine.[/COLOR]

Cancer

What color is your room?

A really bland beige.

SKII, Keihls and La Mer for skincare.

Chanel foundation.

NARS cosmetics.

Uh, well..politics is probably one of my least fave subjects and Australian politics is a little different to those in America. If I had to specify, I would be kind of in the middle between liberal and conservative, I guess.

You list as a Christian Other, yet you weren't always what you'd consider Christian. What inspires you to take up the Christian faith?

Firstly, recognising that the issues I had with Christianity was more to do with the people than with God. That was an important distinction to make within myself.

Secondly, recognising that God was with me the whole time, even through the darkest moments. He never gave up on me, even when I was trying so hard to push Him away. Only someone who truly loves you does that.

Well, I've had more than my fair share of testing moments but I would say having to go through therapy and facing all those past shadows again. There were days when I would have to force myself to get in the car and drive there because I knew what the session was going to involve. It was a rollercoaster of emotions and memories and thoughts that kept me emotionally drained for a good 9 months. As much as I wanted to give up, I had to keep going....

That's easy. There have been 3... each time I gave birth to one of my children.

I scored a perfect 100% in my Physical Education exam in year 12. I was the only girl in the class.

God knows more than we do. Rest in Him and all will be well.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Antidisestablishmentarianism

suicide

my kids laughing

a shovel scraping across cement

video footage of my sister's 8 week old daughter

Strong, Compassionate, Deep

Photo of my children.

My Great Grandmother's Cameo

Loved

Still being here with sanity intact...

:think:

A year ago I would have said 0 but now I would say 6. :D

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Quincy

Quincy

The Interview:
Spoiler
So, Quincy, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

James: Well, it's my father's name. People in my family have just always called me that and eventually it picked up among my friends.

How did you find TOL?

Haha, well a member named Kimberlyann invited me. She is basically a neighbor of mine and she thought I'd be able to raise some hell. Turns out I grew to like the place fairly quickly, so I never did that for too long. It's a great website.

It is without a doubt the best. It's ran great and is far more stable than most forums. It's also very addictive because of the rate of new posts coming in. It's not got the most active members among websites I've used, but the post come quicker than any other. It helps to hold my attention.

Lots of stuff. There is Canyourunit which basically is a test for your PC to see if it will run various computer games. Various links to computer game mod sites are in there. Then I also have links to pdfs on some texts I like to read or reference.

Honestly? I have no clue what I'd use it for. I've rarely had more than a grand to my name so I have no ideal what I'd do with money if I had it.

Probably a new medium to create art with.

Liver diseases. Most of my family members have died from it or nearly have. I'll probably die from it myself one day soon.

What color is your room?

Black, it helps me to sleep.

Sure do. Nintendo for video games, Ford for vehicles and for clothing I tend go with whatever I find at Penny's.

I'd describe them as being anarcho-capitalist, though I tend to go with paleolibertarian as some form of government is required in this world of ours.

You have listed as Christian Other, yet you flip flop between faiths often. What is with the fickle faiths, James? Are you playing games?

Well, :chuckle:, darn you lol. My mind races a lot and I have intense mood swings, so I have a hard time staying in one paradigm of thought. I'm doing well with my current mindset with faith in Christ and the teachings though.

What is the Other for?

Because I am a Christian Deist and also have some animist views. For example, I don't believe God any longer performs miracles other than epiphanies. His incarnation as Christ was the last. I also don't believe in the Trinity, Jesus is a form God took, to me. Doctrines like original sin and a physical melinnial reign are just erroneous to me as well. Jesus accepted our curse for us on the cross and is reigning spiritually, in my view. I see only one Gospel as said by Jesus's own words and it doesn't conflict with reason and rationality to my eyes, like many man made creeds.

Well, I won't give major details, but my ex wife left my daughter and I. This resulted in the withdrawl of my sponsorship for Citizenship in Canada, where we were living. So I had to let my in-laws adopt my daughter, while I was deported from the country. Surviving the few years after that was my greatest test.

I'm always happy, to a detriment to myself.

I actually have a low IQ. Several points below my peer's averages. The only reason most people don't pick up on it is because I've been blessed with teachers who took the extra time to help me find ways to learn things and a mentor who goes out of his way to explain probably way too much stuff to me. The only things I am good at is communication and the arts (painting, drawing, poetry, etc etc)

Never let this world bring you down. The outside world is at best quaint, at worst vile. Keep your soul safe and your faith strong and nothing can bring you down. You can only survive and become stronger if you persist, if this world claims your body, you're going to be set free.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Play

reckon

Sounds that drown out the silence, like rain, a fan or nearby stream.

The sound of someone eating something crunchy like an apple or potato chips

My sister telling her jokes and trying to cheer me up earlier.

Carefree, outrageous, understanding

My house and my car

Loved, I wouldn't know what to say if someone said they respected me.

Surviving after getting deported from Canada. Until you do it, you can't understand the work that goes into starting over from nothing.

Six. I'm happy with who I am, save for a certain weakness towards pretty faces.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Godrulz

Godrulz

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, Godrulz, let's start out with some simple stuff. How do you interpret your screen name and why did you choose that spelling?

William: I saw a Christian punk rock band in California in the 1980s named 'Undercover'. One of their albums was 'God Rules'. I was a newer Christian and the secular phrase was 'this and that rules'. I wanted to affirm the sovereignty of God and cool spellings were also in, so Godrulz. In business, there was a fad to put names in small letters on business cards. It also saved using caps when writing it as an email address. In Greek, theos/God is small letters, so it is not implying a lesser god than God.

How did you find TOL?

I have mid-life memory problems, so I don't remember. It was likely from a google search or perhaps an ad?

I started on 'worthy boards', but they were too nice and not deep enough. Facebook groups do not have the features and are narrow focused. So, it is among the best for participant numbers, diversity, etc. It also has an affinity for my pet Open Theism view. Calvinistic ones, ex-JW ones, etc. tend to kick me off for being pro-Open Theism or anti-JW/pro-Jesus.

Do you frequent any other Theological websites?

Worthy Boards, Pentecostal/Open Theism/Ex-JW Facebook groups, ex-JW groups (but usually get banned for talking about Jesus...I have never been JW, but cults are of special apologetic interest), relatively dormant Open Theism groups, etc. Basically, most time/energy on TOL.

No porn. TOL. FB. Gameknot Chess. Shaw webmail. Youtube. Apple. Google News. Ex-JW sites. Open Theism websites. Cooking. Classical music, etc.

Pay off debt. Invest. Some for family/friends. Give significant amount to Gospel for Asia (www.gfa.org). Christian ministry would be the main thing. My wife also has MS, so adaptations, travel, etc. would also benefit (I would also consider a new vehicle).

Something that gives me an income stream to free up my time and energy and investment in the Kingdom of God. Hopefully, it would also benefit many people medically, spiritually, etc. Ideally, it would be something to feed, cloth, shelter, water the poor with opportunity to hear the gospel and be discipled (already invented, the local church, but few are functional).

Cancer due to sheer numbers and degree of suffering/mortality (my wife has MS, so that would be tempting, but I would still go for cancer).

What color is your room?

Blah Beige (but I wish it was blue...I also have glow in the dark stars from an astronomy place, but my wife won't let me put them up).

I am happy with my Mazda 3 GT, but could get talked into a Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lambourghini, etc.
I am somewhere above a bum with my clothing, so probably am clueless with brands. Apple for computers, Japanese for electronics, but we have old stuff.

Conservative (Canada vs Liberal, NDP). Would be more Republican if American.

Everyone knows your religious affiliations and you are quite adept at expressing it. So how did you come to possess the knowledge of Scripture and doctrines that you do possess? Where you self-taught or did you attend schooling?

Both/and. Mostly self-taught reading numerous theological books at a time on ongoing basis (1000s of books in my library). Formal theological education was 4 year Bachelor of Theology from denominational college in Canada. Five years of pastoral ministry also forced study in addition to seminars, courses, etc. I have studied as a Christian for over 30 years.

Getting my black belt in Tae Kwon Do when I was 47 was rough (took 5 years of getting beat up). My wife's MS is an ongoing challenge. Completing Paramedicine and getting hired was also a challenge.

The greatest test was probably when I had a major nervous breakdown while in University when I was 18. There was a warfare for my eternal soul, I was suicidal, was at a crossroads. I failed the test of living for self as a godplayer, but it drove me to Jesus who put my life back together and the rest is history.

Getting 100% in High School science course or University Calculus course? Having children including twins?

Most joyful was being 'born again' after going to 'hell' and back.

My hair is receding and my belly is not? My parents are dead? My dog has 3 legs? I do not have green skin and horns? I like heavy rock and classical music (play piano and bassoon). I have a big nose? I have an anger problem due to stress at times? I have lost too much money in 'investments'?

"It is always too soon to quit.' Edmund Burke

'Know God and make Him known', nothing more important in time and for eternity.

William/godrulz

Thank you William. This has been very enlightening towards the life you live.

The Ten:

Spoiler

godrulez: Jesus/God; awesome

swears/profanity

waterfall/running water (creek, etc.)

wretching/vomiting in my ambulance

Cat and dog at home scaring each other

Worshipper of God

Bible, house/car

8. Is it better to be loved or respected....

loved

Completing Bible College

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Traditio

Traditio

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, Traditio, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname and the spelling you chose?

Traditio: A few years ago, some of the other Catholics on the board (including a user who went by the name of InquisitorGeneralis, who, I believe, no longer posts here) read a website called "Traditio.com," that is, "The Traditional Roman Catholic Network." Back in the days when I used to be an adament racist, neo-nazi and generally unpleasant guy, I also used to be outspoken about the failings of Vatican II and the primacy of the traditional practices and beliefs of the pre-Vatican II church. Back at the time, I believe, I already had begun learning Latin, and the name "Traditio" just struck me as a really good name to use in light of the website.

How did you find TOL?

I kept getting kicked off of gaiaonline for trolling. So, I basically did a google search for "theology forums" and this came up. That was back in like 2005...maybe earlier. I initially came into this forum so I could give a bunch of random arguments for a set of beliefs I just happened to have at the time (the inferiority of black people, that Jews had to be kicked out of the country, that God exists, that the Catholic Church is the right one...you get the idea; I was a complete nut back then). Some of the other members might have been with previous user names like "Apologist" and "Scholastic." They were basically my high school and early college accounts.

Back when I thought I knew something but actually didn't know anything at all.

Easily the best. The cool thing about gaia that theologyonline can't really match is that there's a much larger user base and a lot more variety built in. Unfortunately, gaia can be difficult to navigate and it's got a lot of "sparkle," so to speak. The cool thing about theology online is that it's really streamlined. There's less of a user base, but it's a lot more close knit. Even if I disagree with the other users, we still enjoy each other's presence on the board. It's a lot more personal.

There was also this one atheist forum that I stumbled onto once...very funny story, actually: I joined the board under a similar name I used here, and guess who was on that board but...Spitfire. She was like: "Are you following me around the internetz?"

It was a complete coincidence.

I don't really keep favorites on my favorites bar. But if I did, they'd probably see stuff like my grad school's webmail, youtube...and theologyonline, of course. :p

I'm like $10k in student loan debt from my undergrad studies. I'd pay that off, use a portion of it to supplement my graduate studies (including but not limited to buying more books and the like), invest/save most of it, and donate the rest of it to charity* and to the Catholic Church.

Plus I'd probably buy a lifetime membership to TOL. :p

*That said, I think that this is a very good opportunity to remind everyone of a very good organization called Food for the Poor. A ridiculously small percentage of donations goes to overhead. It's a very good charity.

The cure to AIDS?

Whoops! Spoke too soon. :plain:

Either AIDS or cancer.

What color is your room?

White.

No.

I think that a lot of people have a piecemeal politique. They have a bunch of things they care about and then they only want to collect it all together into an ideaology afterwards. So, in the Republican party, you have this bizarre collection of: "Yay Jesus, boo abortion, yay big business, boo science..." You get the idea. And it's just as bizarre and piecemeal in the Democratic party. And when you do that, I don't think that you really care about what kind of people politicians are. You care about what guy is going to push your agenda.

I think that this is a ridiculous way to think about politics. I think that it's better to figure out your framework and then figure out your political beliefs afterwards. So, I take as my basis that everybody have the same basic moral rights and duties. Everyone has an equal, intrinsic, and inalienable dignity and worth as a human being from the moment of conception until natural death, and this is summed up in Kant's Categorical Imperative: "Act so as to treat humanity, whether in thine own person or the person of another, always at the same time as an end-in-itself, never merely as a means."

However, even though everyone has an equal dignity and worth, not everyone has the same talents and abilities. People only should do what they are qualified to do. Not everyone is qualified to rule. Not everyone is qualified to have a political opinion. Not everyone is qualified to vote.

From there, all of my political positions fall into line very easily. We always should pursue the common good rather than private interests, and this only truly can be done if philosophers rule. Most people pursue their own private interests. The philosopher, however, looks up to the Ideal City and tries to mirror here below what he sees above.

But you and my readers probably want specific positions:

1. Abortion must criminilized.
2. Marriage is only between a man and a woman. The State may not sponsor homosexuality in any way.
3. If commercial interests conflict with environmental interests, commercial interests have to lose out. It's in everyone's best interest for us to prevent global warming.
4. Euthanasia must not be legal.
5. We must severely restrict, if not entirely cease, the scope of our military involvement in other nations. We must never use military force merely to advance our own political interests.

You get the idea.

You frequently speak of philosophy, Traditio. What, not why are you but what happened to cause you to take an interest in philosophy?

I was like 16 and in high school, and my mother was in school for nursing. She ended up dropping out, but that's another story. Anyways, one of her texts for a western history class was an anthology of comparative literature for Western Europe up until like 1500 AD. I happened to read it, and one of the readings was St. Thomas Aquinas' 5 proofs for the existence of God. I've been into philosophy ever since I read that.

You list as a Catholic, yet you often listen to music that is controversial among some of your peers. What in your words, drives the spiritual connection between the your faith and the music you listen to?

I justify the lyrics existentially. The music I listen to is an expression of my own angst, my own dread, my own anger...in sum, my own emotional crises. It's cathartic.

Not to mention that the music itself, instrumentally, is simply beautiful.

It's hard to pick one, and I'd rather not discuss at least some of them. It's always difficult for me to deal with meeting new people, though.

There are...happy...moments in life? :plain:

But I kid...sort of. One of the happiest was when I was accepted into grad school. This will probably say a lot more about me than I'd prefer, but another one was when an online girlfriend asked me if I wanted to be in a monogamous relationship with her (albeit online). At that moment, it occurred to me that a woman other than one of my family members might really be able to have those kinds of feelings for me.

This really was an inconceivable sort of thing before then. Up until the age of like 19 or 20, I've always been a very overweight, unpleasant, unsociable sort of person.

I have Asperger's syndrome.

Wisdom is its own reward. I'd rather be wise than rich or powerful.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Mawmaw (I love what the word signifies.)

Party (I hate what the word signifies; and by "party" I mean a gathering of people.)

King Diamond's falsetto

The sound of people talking to each other.

I don't remember. The thing that made me smile/laugh the hardest today was when I saw that I'm the only one enrolled in one of my classes.

Philosopher, outcast, nutjob.

The Complete Works of Plato
My unabridged translation of Plotinus' Enneads

Doesn't matter, just so long as they leave me alone. :idunno:

Getting into grad school.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Town Heretic

Town Heretic

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, Town Heretic, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Town Heretic: Pure grain alcohol...and the fact that I tend to stand on pretty clear and essentially simple principles (as you know) that get me into trouble, eventually, with nearly everyone. That said, I find that if you object with a sense of humor and without throwing the first punch when it comes to that people will respect you enough in an unpopular stand to withhold ostracizing you for it. So far so good at any rate.

Did you have any reservations using it on a website predominately made up of right wing evangelicals?

No. First, I count anyone who relies on Christ as being of the faithful. Second, despite the peculiar insistence of a handful of people I'm actually not a terribly liberal person. That is, I hold a number of liberal positions but also a number of very conservative ones. On the whole I'm not dominated by either. The only reason I'm thought of as liberal by some is the designation bit that's really Knight's doing and the fact I'm basically a rationalist inclined to take on anyone whose approach strikes me as unreasonable. Given that the right dominate the postings here my opposition is frequently mistaken as a political statement when it really isn't. I suspect I'd look similarly suspicious to the left if roles were reversed here.

How did you find TOL?

Loud, to begin with. :plain: I fell into it during a Google search, got yelled at by Knight on my first post and there I went, off to the races.

I've looked at and participated in a small number, but none of them held my attention. The mix here, along with the moderation, appealed to me. It wasn't particularly close. There were the over moderated, massive joints with heavy handed mods and the under moderated monuments to insult and smug derision. Surprisingly enough to me, the atheistic and leftist forums seemed much less tolerant and constructive. So here I stayed and here I remain.

That I never mark anything down. :chuckle: I've always done Google safaris along certain lines: humor, sports, theology or philosophy, the law.

A million lottery tickets. You just never know. I might strike it rich.

It's been done. When I saw the first thin calculator from Casio I told my mother I wanted to make a larger version of one to read books on, just a bit larger than a paperback. True story. Now I suppose I'd like to perfect micro machinery that could enter the human body and repair damage on the cellular level.

Any childhood disease would be fine with me.

What color is your room?

Which? I'm almost completely color blind so I don't know. My writing room is a shade of yellow that I can see (if not quite the way you likely do) and I'm very fond of it.

I like Jif peanut butter and will go without rather than substitute. But in general, not particularly. I prefer quality to quantity and would rather have one really fine experience than a great many decent ones.

Rational, moderate, independent. I don't believe we have to take our country back from anyone so much as live up to what our country should expect from us as citizens, which is mostly informed participation. We do that and things will work out for us well enough, if imperfectly. We designed a system for peaceful revolution and we should consider the genius of that and show our gratitude by honoring the sacrifice that made it possible.

You have mentioned that you are a lawyer, yet you are a devout follower of Christ. Have you ever found contradiction betwen the letter of the law and what you spiritually view as proper?

Absolutely. For instance, I'm against abortion. I'm against it both as a Christian and as a rationalist. I think the law is both wrong within our Constitutional context and immoral as well.

Now there are moral issues which I believe should rest between a man and God and are not the proper consideration of the state. Mostly this involves the conduct of and/or between consenting adults where there is an absence of compelling secular argument establishing a threat to the social compact to object. Attempting to foist my moral ideas on anyone in the absence of that argument opens the door for anyone else with a majority to compel me and my neighbor on matters of conscience that don't impinge on their own rights. I'm against that, be it fundamentalist Christian or Islamic Sharia.

Was law school as difficult as everyone believes?

The saying is: L1 they scare you to death; L2 they work you to death; and L3 they bore you to death. And that's about it.

The study of law is extraordinarily demanding. You have some of the brightest people you'll ever meet in a pressurized competition for honor and notice that will advance their careers. The volume of literature to consume and encompass is only comparable to medical school and the professors appear to be of the mind that their's is the class to break you. So the wiser quickly gather in small units for survival, with everyone in a group (which will become a sort of permanent family) given a particular assignment to aid in the digestion of that voluminous course load.

That said, I didn't find it particularly stressful. I took the LSAT after signing up on the last day, something of a lark because I wasn't sure about my graduate direction and wanted to see if I had any inherent aptitude (as a few of my friends had suggested would be the case). I surprised myself with a top 15th percentile score that adjusted up to the 10th, which in turn opened about any door I might want to walk through. A real break, but then I've always been lucky when it comes to testing.

You list as a Christian yet you are often confronted on your centrist views. If you were to make one last post to your political opponents, but Christian brothers/sisters, what would you want them to know?

I think it's important to distinguish between our obligations to ourselves and our rights in respect to others. I'm convinced the good will always win out in a free and informed society and that it will almost always be lost in one where we fail to trust the fundamental good sense of our fellows, properly engaged.

My conversion. The clear understanding of who I was in relation to the God who contemplated me was shattering. We are the heroes of our narrative. To see myself outside of that context was a life and contextually altering event of a magnitude.

May 12, 2011. :D

:think: I'm ambidextrous and can write music without an instrument present...and I can make my unruly mane move as though the entire thing were a wig. Kids love that.

The joy of life is almost always found in the approach and squarely within our power to determine...by way of example, I related this example a while ago:

One time when I had a bad winter cold my voice started to go and for a little while I sounded remarkably like Tom Waits, adjusting for accent. So naturally enough I sat down and played piano--sang every song of his I knew until my voice went out entirely...and that was the best cold ever.

That's my approach in practice and I'm still by and large the happiest guy I know.

:e4e:

Thank you, Town Heretic.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Pudding.

Snot.

The sigh Jack makes in my ear as he surrenders to sleep, following (always, always) a valiant struggle against it. My son is a lion.

A ringing phone.

My son giggling at Dan Le Batard's father.

Playful. Curious. Clever.

My computer and my grandfather's hunting horn.

Loved. Respect is usually about how you appear. Love is about how you are.

Writing the novel. I view Jack as mostly his mother's accomplishment. :D

:think: Eight and a half, but hopeful.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Granite

Granite

The Interview:
Spoiler

Granite: Hi Quincy!

James: Hello Granite!

So, Granite, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

I live in New Hampshire and one of our nicknames is the granite state. At the time I joined TOL I was a Christian and also thought it'd evoke the rock of ages, and Peter, the rock on which the church was built.

How did you find TOL?

Someone I know (who no longer posts here) turned me onto it.

I haven't ever participated in other forums. This one seems to suit me.

Slate
Salon
The Daily Beast
The Atlantic
Huff Post
amconmag.com
rense.com
disinfo.com
reason.com
motherjones
counterpunch
weei.com
nesn.com
espn.com
si.com

Pay off remaining debt, take a vacation, stock up on guns, ammo, food, water.

Tough call. Probably a clean renewable and free energy source.

Again, a tough one. AIDS is an obvious choice but given the chance of a massive pandemic, I'd cure all strains of the flu.

What color is your room?

Burgundy, for the most part. Antique white trim.

I'm a Nissan guy. For clothes the only thing I'm insistent on is Levi's for my jeans. Electronics is simple: Mac, Mac, Mac.:bow:

...as the lyrics to "Uprising" by Muse.

Bet you the hits for lyric videos of that song go up tonight!

You list as an atheist, though it has been covered in detail in other places that you were once of the Christian faith. Many people express depression when losing faith and others express a feeling of release and freedom. We all know how you came to be an atheist, so generally speaking, how did the change affect your life?

The depression came first, the liberation came later. In general, the change gave me a greater sense of wonder and curiosity about the world. Also a far greater appreciation for just being alive.

Making it through my first divorce, probably.

Meeting my wife!:devil:

I'm not a hedonistic monster?:idunno: I'd say that anyone from TOL who met me would likely be surprised with who they saw.

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of reason (my apologies for not changing) derived wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

Make your own friends and make your own enemies.

Thank you Granite!

The Ten:
Spoiler

:think: "Pulchritude" comes to mind.

Hmmm. "Moist" usually doesn't sit well.

Wife's laugh. Music wise, there's a lot that I really dig, but Labradford or Sigur Ros especially moves me.

Cruel laughter. An animal in pain.

An email I sent.

Sharp. Swift. Slim.

My iPad. And my .38. (I figure with the .38, I stand a chance of getting my stuff back.)

Loved, hands down.

I climbed a mountain and addressed the state legislature on the fly when I was sixteen...but that was only pretty cool, in retrospect, to marrying my wife.

A good solid seven.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, Inzl Kett, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Inzl Kett : The screen name from from a fantasy novel project, the Helmsman. So does the avatar. The name and picture is a walking tree fortress.

How did you find TOL?

I found it looking for a new theology debate site after the one that I was on instituted a 'community mod system' where they basically thumbed minority views off the board via the rep system. I had read the baord before deciding to join, so that Is how I already knew a lot about it.

It holds first place. It being around for quite a few years says a lot for it. The other sites I have been on come and go.

My home page--TheologyOnline, then you would find a collection of other Christian baords, Facebook, Twitter and Tolkien Boards.

I'd pay off all my debts and pump the rest into TOL :D

A robot that does the dishes. Mine have a habit of piling up. :chuckle:

Cancer.

What color is your room?

White

Milwalkee power tools.

Hard and to the right.

You list as a Christian, for those that aren't aware, were you raised Christian or did life lead you to find your faith?

I was raised in a Christian home, but my folks left it to the church to convert me--which they did, but they didn't give me a very good foundation. My Dad raised me to be an intellectual and to think critically. I was even sent off to college. So I grew up with two compartments in my mind--one for religion, and the other for science. One could say I was a thiestic evolutionist. At one point was was almost agnostic. God couldn't be understood or analysed, so He wasn't really in my thoughts. Then I met my husband an ardent Creationist and a comitted Chrstian. Thus began the slow death of my evolutionism. I went though a phaseof looking for my Jewish roots and was a Messianic Jew. Ill treatment and views that conflicted with the historic timeline of how the bible was layed out caused me to leave that movement. One good thing my Grandmother left with me was reading the Bible from front to back. That made me easy pickings for Open Theism and MAD.

Many of the members who join TOL lately have been, shall we say nefarious characters with clear agendas. You joined in 2010 and have basically fit right in from the start. If you could advise any new member on how to approach joining the website and becoming accepted, what would you tell them?

Read the board for a bit before you start in on the heavy posting. Especially read the rules. When I join a site I alway familiarize myself with its rules an expectations. The board is the playground of its owners. To last on it, you have to play by thier rules.

My husband had prostate cancer in 2010. That was a test of love too. They got it all and today we are more in love.

When my husband and I were married back in 1983.

I have short, short hair. That is due to a myriad of skin sensitivies. I have to keep my scalp very clean, which hard to do with much hair up there. I also have a very sunny personality if your were to meet me in person.

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Don't go though life dwelling on the negative all the time. Fix your mind on worthy things. That is why I don't dwell on stuff like conspiracy theories or doom and gloom.

Thank you Inzl Kett!

The Ten:
Spoiler

Fiddle

Devil

Violin music

Drums

My husband kissing me

Sunny, Conservative, Peaceful.

Bible, Wedding Ring.

Loved

Becoming orchestral violinist.

An 8

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
AMR

AMR

The Interview:
Spoiler

James: So, Ask Mr. Religion, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

AMR: In 1991 I started a religious Q&A service on the internet, via the USENET text-only discussion forums service, before the days of the world wide web. The service, staffed by six volunteers (pastors, priest, and theologians), provided confidential answers to religious questions. That service was called, "Ask Mr. Religion". We even charged a $5 fee for these answers.

Once the world wide web appeared in a big way, beginning in 1992 and taking off in 1994, the AMR service moved off of USENET and started providing these same answers anonymously and under contract with several web-based Christian web sites. Our individual services fell off and today no one is charged for answers to simple questions submitted to the AMR service, as we have amassed quite a large database of answered questions that are typically asked. We still get ten to fifteen personally submitted questions per month. As of 2009 we no longer provide contract work for these large Christian web sites.

Today, most of our work is focused on custom research for seminarians and theologians. We also maintain a small private counseling service for a few clients. We charge fees for these efforts and our research work is submitted to the client without restrictions. The client can use our research as they see fit and we make no claims on the copyright nor do we expect to be acknowledged as the authors of the work submitted.

How did you find TOL?

One topic that came up in the course of the AMR Q&A activities was open theism. Having been researching the topic for some time I discovered TOL via some reference to it at another discussion site. I spent a couple of months lurking at TOL and finally joined the site early in 2007.

I participate in several religious discussion sites, and I even have one of my own that is growing steadily. But I do find I spend more time on TOL than elsewhere simply because of the length of time I have been a member and the topical aspects of discussions at TOL. I rank TOL as the most interesting for its eclectic members and content.

This is one of my most valued resources on my computer and I spend a great deal of time cultivating certain links and making sure my Favorites are always backed up. As noted above, I have been using web browsers since they first appeared, so I have several thousand links in my Favorites on a variety of topics. The most concentrated collection of links are in the Religion folder (Anglican, Answers, Bible Research, Catholic, Medeival Times, Seminaries, Reformed sub-folders), and in the Patents and Telecom folders (I am also an intellectual property consultant for wireless communications engineering technologies).

I would pay all my personal outstanding debt first. I would then make sure my son and wife had money set aside for the day I go to meet my Lord. The remainder I would give to charities.

Well, I have several issued patents now. ;) And anything I would really consider within my grasp to invent I would not state publicly given the laws surrounding patentability of ideas that have been publicly disclosed. So, I will only speak of something that I definitely outside my reach and something that should not be protected by patent laws. That would be an invention of a bona fide truth detector. ;)

Given my wife's battles with cancer this would have to be the disease I would like to see eradicated.

What color is your room?

I have several, but the one I spend most of my personal time in is pained in an eggshell white.

I generally favor Japanese made vehicles and electronics. Clothing I just don't think much about anymore, but when I did, I liked Brooks Brothers.

I am a conservative Republican from my radiator to my tailpipe.

You list as a Christian, Protestant, yet oddly, you are viewed somewhat negatively by others of the same faith because of your Calvinist views. What is it about Calvinism in particular that rings as truth to you?

Oddly? I suppose how I am viewed is related to the venue, no? Among its active members, TOL is primarily made up of open theists, Arminians, Catholics, and Arians. Reformed folk are in a definite minority, so the reaction to us is not unexpected. If you were posting over at, say, The Puritan Board, you might find yourself under a microscope, viewed oddly as well. ;)

It is a five-step reasoning process for me:

1. When I study what Scripture I pay close attention to what Scripture has to say about unsaved man's inability to do anything good as perceived by God, that is righteous good, since the Fall of Adam and the sovereignty of God.

2. Now if unsaved man is unable to turn of himself to God, because of this spiritual inability, then divine election must be unconditionally dependent upon solely the sovereign good pleasure of God since man is unable to respond of himself favorable to God.

3. Given the assumption that election is unconditional then redemption, since not all are re-born, must necessarily be particular, that is, for those who are elected unconditionally.

4. And if redemption is particular, that is, for the elect, and if the elect are unable to come to God of themselves, then the grace that brings them to Christ must be truly effectual.

5. Finally, if the grace that brings the elect to Christ is effectual, and if they are elected to eternal life, then they must persevere by God's grace in that life.

Again, TOL is a microcosm of a small group of folks that is not representative of the larger realm of orthodox Christendom. Its focus on fringe views, such on open theism, Arianism, Annihilationsism, Socianism, Docetism/Gnosticism, New Age, etc., is going to shine a very bright light on any view that opposes its own. The facts are that what I have presented above was the position of the early church, albeit a declining one, up to the 16th century. At that time, the Reformation sought to recover what the early church taught, because these things are, quite simply, what Scripture teaches. So let's not confuse what we read on discussion sites as normative. One must dig into the history books, the writings of the early church fathers, and Scripture.

Everyday, it seems, we have another thread posted with an anti-calvinist topic. What do you believe causes the controversy, in general?

Again, as noted above, one needs to consider the population at TOL. It's most active members are one's that believe that man possesses a degree of autonomy that the Reformed deny. So we have here polar opposite views and clash is not unexpected. Of course, this clash was noted long before TOL. It is the age-old issue, dating back to the Garden in Eden, of man's desire for a degree of autonomy that is simply beyond their creaturely status. On the matter, Spurgeon once noted:
“There is no attribute of God more comforting to his children than the doctrine of Divine Sovereignty. Under the most adverse circumstances, in the most severe troubles, they believe that Sovereignty has ordained their afflictions, that Sovereignty overrules them, and that Sovereignty will sanctify them all.

There is nothing for which the children of God ought more earnestly to contend than the dominion of their Master over all creation—the kingship of God over all the works of his own hands—the throne of God, and his right to sit upon that throne.

On the other hand, there is no doctrine more hated by worldlings, no truth of which they have made such a football, as the great, stupendous, but yet most certain doctrine of the Sovereignty of the infinite Jehovah. Men will allow God to be everywhere except on his throne.

They will allow him to be in his workshop to fashion worlds and to make stars. They will allow him to be in his almonry to dispense his alms and bestow his bounties. They will allow him to sustain the earth and bear up the pillars thereof, or light the lamps of heaven, or rule the waves of the ever-moving ocean;

but when God ascends his throne, his creatures then gnash their teeth; and when we proclaim an enthroned God, and his right to do as he wills with his own, to dispose of his creatures as he thinks well, without consulting them in the matter, then it is that we are hissed and execrated, and then it is that men turn a deaf ear to us, for God on his throne is not the God they love.

They love him anywhere better than they do when he sits with his sceptre in his hand and his crown upon his head.”​
Lastly, if you examine the statistics behind these frequent anti-Calvinistic threads, you will find a great deal of them started by a few folks who seem to have no other agenda than to stir the pot. I don't know, but perhaps some of them were beaten by their Calvinistic Fathers, and they now have a single-minded agenda. ;) Some of these folks even have been removed from other discussion sites for their continued duplicative and vitriolic postings and have found a relatively safe-haven of sorts at TOL. Some I have personally asked to join me in a one-on-one debate of their issues, yet they continue to disingenuously beg off, as their agenda is not one to edify the brethren, but to be divisive.

If you could offer one statement to these opponents and detractors, what would you want them to know?

I have frequently stated that it is dishonest to misrepresent your opponent's position. Too many know only what they know by reading posts on discussion sites or web sites by persons with agendas. So what they know are a mishmash of unsubstantiated assertions. If you want to tell me what I believe, you can quote the Westminster Confession of Faith, the Larger and Smaller Catechisms, along with all their suporting Scripture verses, to me. These three items represent the summaries of the teachings of Scripture that all who claim the label "Reformed" believe. Rather than attempting to appeal to the crowds with vitriolic and hyperbolic statements about what I believe, read the documents that I assent to as accurate summaries of Scripture. It is all written down in these Confessional documents. Unlike those who lay charges at my feet, what I believe is codified and there for the review.

Your profile page list many outstanding achievements. If you could pick one thing that you consider to be your greatest accomplishment, outside of your faith, what would it be?

Thank you for the kind words. The one thing for me is that I have never stopped seeking to learn more about what I believe and what the Scriptures teach, always seeking to align myself more closely to the Scriptures. The ability to renew one's mind is a gift all believers have been given. Unfortunately, too many squander the gift in favor of easy believism and MacTheology, the fast and easy to digest, but the very unhealthy.

I have had not a few of these. I suppose the greatest test has been dealing with my wife's illness these past five-plus years and how it has tested my faith and personal character.

Of course, the day I married my bride of over thirty years. ;) While that beautiful young girl, whose light in her eyes and wonderment about everything I met long ago, is fading before my very eyes each day, she continues to make me want to be a better man.

Probably the fact that I am exactly as I present myself to be here at TOL and elsewhere.

Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

Thank you for taking the time to ask some penetrating and interesting questions!

Thank you AMR!

The Ten:
Spoiler

Weltanschauung - basically it means "world view"

yeah

I do love the sound of my wife's voice.

Like, TH, I do not like the sound of a ringing telephone.

One of my Shih Tzus playing with one of her sisters.

taciturn
insomnolent
intelligent

My Bible
My computer's backup drive (then I would have an excuse to buy a new computer)

Loved, of course. It takes far more investment and deserves the same.

Getting out of Vietnam alive. ;)

Probably an eight.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
ebenz

ebenz

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: Sorry I got this to you late. Just had a tiring day yesterday :) . Onward!

ebenz: That's all right. I've spent most of the day sleeping because I caught a cold or the flu (don't know which). For some reason, I thought this would be longer. But, I'm able to finish it in a short time. :)

So, ebenz, let's start out with some simple stuff. You have one of the more unique screennames on the forum, so what inspired your screenname?

It's not really that unique. :chuckle: It's my first initial and my last name plus my zip code.

How did you find TOL?

I was a reader and responder on the newsgroup, misc.christian.homeschooling. Someone provided a link to TOL. I followed it, liked it, and stayed.

TOL is the best forum that I've participated in. I'm a member at quite a few. But, TOL's the only one I post at.

Sims 3 download sites, recipe sites, history sites, and various sites provided by members of TOL

I would pay for my daughter and myself to go to college, pay off all of my bills (including my mortgage), and give the rest away to Christian charities and the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

I've never thought about it. So, my honest answer would have to be, "I don't know."

It would either be diabetes (My best friend has diabetes and several of my uncles died from diabetes or diabetes-related incidents.) or cancer (My mom's only sister died of throat cancer.).

What color is your room?

My bedroom furniture is hunter green. The walls are white and the carpet is light green (My favorite color is hunter green.).

I like Dodge cars. I tend to buy the cheapest for clothing and electronics.

I consider myself more conservative than the Republican party (by a long shot). After growing up in a family of die-hard Democrats, I am called the "black sheep" of the family.

You list as a Christian and you are a moderator here on the forum. Can you share with us your approach to objectively moderating our forum while also maintaining your faith? Do you find it difficult?

For the largest part, I try to treat people how I want to be treated. Except for spammers who sneak on here in the middle of the night for no other reason but to sell their wares (Knight fixed that, though), I tend not to ban people immediately. I go to the person privately (via PM) first. Then, I give them a public warning. Then, if the behavior hasn't been corrected, I ban them. The only ones I don't do that to are the ones who have built up enough points, due to past bannings, that I cannot warn them.

You've mentioned being at odds with some of your Christian brethren about some parts of salvation, as you take a more lenient view on it. If you could make one statement to the folks who claim you are wrong, what would you say?

I don't believe that any one church on earth has all of the answers. John 3:16 says that God sent His Son to give life to any who believe in Him. I see many people say, "You're not a Christian!" because of what I consider small things in the faith. The only thing required is to accept God's gift of salvation paid for by Christ. Things like the trinity, infant baptism, belief in miracles, etc...are small potatoes compared to that. And, we're not going to find out everything that is right or wrong until we sit at Christ's feet when He returns.

When my husband passed away, in January of 1999, I had to learn how to raise my 9 year old daughter by myself and how to take care of myself financially again. The last thirteen years have been extremely hard. But, I've learned how to take care of myself. And, I was able to homeschool my daughter from 4th grade to 12th grade. It was very hard, but very rewarding.

So far, the happiest moment of my life was when my daughter was born on January 3, 1990. :chuckle: Would you really expect a mother to say anything different?

There are two things: 1) I smoke cigarettes. I've smoked since I was 7 years old when my step-father pulled up a chair and gave me a pack of cigarettes and a beer because he "wanted someone to smoke and drink with him." I blame him for my starting to smoke. But, once I turned 18, I decided to continue. I can't stand the smell of beer though and don't drink anything alcoholic.

And 2) I have as bad a temper as ghost does. :chuckle: I just say what I'm thinking out loud instead of typing it out on the computer. Since I live alone, I don't have to worry about kids hearing and repeating what I say. :chuckle:

You need to realize that not everyone is like you and learn some patience when dealing with them. And, God will give you strength and provide what you need to help you get through the rough patches. He provided me with good friends who stood by my side and supported me emotionally through some of the bad things that have happened to me. Most of those friends are right here on TOL. That's one reason I call TOL my chosen family.

Thank you ebenz for the insightful interview!

The Ten:
Spoiler

requiem...I don't know why. I've just always liked the sound of it.

liver...I cringe whenever I hear the word, especially when I smell it cooking. :chuckle:

children laughing/playing (It's been a long time, so I miss the sound.)

heavy traffic

My dog, Teddy Bear, snuggling up on my electric blanket.

Loves to cook.

My dog, Teddy Bear, for company, and my photo album

I say they usually walk hand-in-hand. But, I prefer love from those I know.

Getting my daughter through ten years of homeschooling, completing high school.

I'd have to say about a six.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
bybee

bybee

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, bybee, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

bybee: It is a family name going back to before the Mayflower arrived in America.

How did you find TOL?

I had participated in another forum, which was lively and entertaining but, too vulgar for me so, I browsed around and found TOL. And, this has become like home to me.

I've tried some others but found them too rigid.

Not much!

First, I'd set up a trust account for my family. Then, I'd buy a nice house here in Florida. Then I'd support a local Women's Shelter"

An "On-line Administrative Assistant" program which could be tailored to one's individual needs.Most of the little daily responsibilities could be attended to.

I agree with other's, cancer has caused many deaths in my family. If one found a cure for cancer, which is a virus, then, by extention, other viruses may be controlled.

What color is your room?

The walls are still white, though I have vowed to paint to paint them a silvery pink. I have pictures that please my eye as well as lovely curtains which open to reveal a lovely view.

I love Dodge Caravan's. I have one now.
Clothing? Well...at my age...I try not to look like a bag lady but....
Electronics, my children pick them out and I dutifully try to learn how to use them.

My views are generally centrist but with a strong list to the right. I love my country and perhaps, now, prayer is the best weapon I can employ.

You list as Christian and often share a very common view of Christianity, more on the love than harsh rebuke side. Have you always been Christian? What is your religious background, bybee?

My background is splendidly diverse. I chose the Episcopal Church at a young age because of the beauty of the liturgy and the variety of worship style. I still sing in the choir, engage in Bible study and help out in various ways. I believe that our Lord God is a loving and merciful God. His capacity for forgiveness far exceeds our pitiful attempts to understand.

Often enough, I see you post regarding the actions of some young folks on the forum. As someone more in the respectful role of an elder on here, what is your advise to the young people on how to conduct theirselves on here?

When a young poster catches my eye I engage him/her in dialogue. If we click, then I become an ally. For instance, Traditio has qualities that I admire very much. He is worth the pats on the back which I have given him, as well as the kicks in the pants, which I have also given him.

I have had many tests. The first test that truly took my measure was when I entered the hard labor stage in my first pregnancy. It dawned on me "This is going to get worse and I cannot quit, I cannot leave, I cannot go away from this. Either I shall die in this red hot wall of pain or I shall have a baby and it will be over."
I had a baby.

After the births of four beautiful daughters, each of whom was and is so very precious to me, the Doctor announced "It's a boy!" I said "You wouldn't kid a poor lady who just went through this?" He brought my son to me and I felt that time stood still. And he has been a light in my life ever since.

I'm pretty open on here. You all know that I have a temper that sometimes rears it's head.
I'm quick to apologize and quick to forgive

Let love be the basis of your words and deeds and you will be on the right track. Thanks Quincy, this is a great idea!

You're welcome bybee, I'm sure we're all thankful to have you contribute :)

The Ten:
Spoiler

"Blessings!" I say it a lot and love to hear it!

Depends on context.

I love the sound of a baby's laughter.

The sound of violence.

My neighbor brought me some fresh baked scones. That made me smile with delight!

I love life!

A knife and a spoon.

It is better, it is necessary to be loved else one cannot prosper.

My children love me.

Wellllll, there is about 20 pounds more of myself than necessary, however, I have stayed on the path that called me. I have accomplished almost all of the goals I felt were important and I live in harmony with my family.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
ragTagblues

ragTagblues

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, ragTagblues, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screen name?

ragTagblues: I have been the guilty party in a long love affair with blues music and at the birth of my alter ego I was playing an old beat up guitar which was kind of raggedy . . . . the name just came to me and seemed appropriate.

How did you find TOL?

Ahhh well thanks to Knight this story has been immortalized due to a post in the ToL Addicts thread many moons ago . . . . I was at college and needed to write a paper on abortion, as I hadn't actually done any study ToL was the first haven of knowledge google offered me.

This is the only forum I really use . . . . so it's definitely in the top one

Facebook, youtube and the Round-a-bouts of Great Britain . . . .

www.roundaboutsofbritain.com

Turn it into £648,890 . . . . Then buy the moon.

Seriously?

Seriously you say?

Yes, rTb, seriously.

Move and pay for my training as a Nurse in Australia probably! Love that place so much.

A time machine! So I could go back and use Arthur Brains answer to this question . . . . :plain:

Dementia, Alzheimer's or Parkinson's . . . . it is heartbreaking to see anyone go through these in the latter stages of their lives.

After that? Genetic diseases like Huntington's or MS would be on my hit list.

What color is your room?

Kind of Blue . . . . Wait for it . . . . Yep you got it!?!

Nope, :plain: . Moving on.

Interesting! For most things no; but I love Yamaha motorcycles . . . . they just seem to have so much more character than other bikes of that ilk!

I am really an impulse buyer and just buy what looks shinny with pretty colors!?!

Jedi? Uhhhh to be honest I don't really fall into a category, I lean towards a more liberal view in that people should be free to do as they please as long no harm is caused. Also I see the need for capitalism and structured government . . . .

I think anyone in charge should be randomly selected from the whole population and be given 4 years in charge . . . . if that means Paris Hilton becoming president so be it!

You list as an Other, if you could, within a reasonable amount of text for the interview script, could explain why you choose the Other affiliation?

I have been reading the Tao Te Ching a lot recently and like what I read; but I see it only as a guide.

I also like the idea of natural harmony in the universe and that mother nature on our planet maintains the balance as best it can! We as humans can either have a positive effect on it or a negative one, that is our choice.

No, I'm not a hippy.

You often use a pic of you with a guitar, do you play and how long have you been playing?

Well actually the guitar uses me in a comedy act where it plays beautiful pieces of music, whilst I act the part of a drunken madman.

I have been playing for about 6-7 years and have never looked back.

In some post, you have mentioned being a student. How does going to school affect acting out a TOL career? Do you find that they ever conflict? Has TOL helped you in your studies any, whether by changing habits or getting advice?

There's never any conflict, my University are aware that my first responsibility is to ToL and they do there best to accommodate me as such.

In all seriousness the main reason I come and go from this place is university, however I have gained advice and help from many here. They know who they are and I forgot what they said :plain:

Yes, charming.

I have had a few tough times, some I'm not willing to discuss . . . .

I think last year the loss of one of my closest friends, a man I have missed every day since, and the combination of job and life issues got to much for me to bear and I turned to family and ToL for support. I couldn't move on from a really destructive pattern and was endanger of exploding.

Eventually I realized sometimes you just got to tough it out and I remain grateful for the support and love shown to me from friends, family and this bizarre little community.

Not for polite company . . . . :noid:

Otherwise passing for my motorcycle license is high on the list.

That I don't like the dark and have slept with the light on for nearly ten years now . . . .

Mostly that when you are faced with a challenge or an unpleasant situation putting it off doesn't actually make it any easier. So tackle it as best you can and then put it behind you.

Thank you ragTagblues for the interesting introspection!

The Ten:
Spoiler

Not for polite company . . . . Just kidding!

Raspberry

Nout (An English term, mostly used in the North)

B diminished minor! So haunting yet open as a sound!

Knife and fork scratched on metallic surface.

A kiss.

Confident, friendly and loyal.

Guitar and my rather battered copy of Way Between the Worlds by Ian Irvine.

Respected. There are always more people who don't love you than do; but everybody should respect you and treat you thus.

1000th post on ToL

:plain:

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?[/QUOTE]

5/6. I'm not near what I want to be; but I'm a by far better person than I used to be.

I hope that will do for you sir?

:e4e:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Knight

Knight

The Interview:
Spoiler

Knight: Here are my answers! Thanks for the fun interview! God bless you.

James: Well, I enjoyed thinking of them and have most importantly enjoyed the opportunity you give us all with the work you do on TOL. Now, to begin the interview:

So, Knight, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Knight: That's a great question, I really can't remember. When I first created TOL 15 years ago I was just "Webmaster" but then I realized that people didn't want to debate with the Webmaster so I picked a name that made me seem more like one of the "gang". I had a couple other usernames but eventually settled on Knight.​

How did you find TOL?

TOL found me. :noid:​

All the other forums are gay. ;)

- DrudgeReport
- The Blaze
- Denver Broncos News
- CigarsInternational, CigarMonster, Cigarobsession
- Woot
- Facebook
- Google Analytics
- awkwardfamilyphotos.com
- (and all of my customer sites, that I have designed and maintain, need a website??)

Pay off all my debt so I could sit around drinking mojitos and smoking cigars.​

I would like to invent a new kind of pet. It will be a cross between a manatee and a orange tabby cat. It will be huge, fat, furry, and cuddly. I will call it "Catatee".​

Ignorance. Errr… cancer. :noid:​

What color is your room?

Hmmm… it's kinda grayish. :think:​

Apple :duh: :D

Lets just say… I'm well to the right of Rush Limbaugh.​

You list as a Christian and you are the owner and moderator of this website. What inspired you to create TOL?

15 years ago my wife and I along with Lion and Prisca were taking theology class at Derby School of theology. The class was taught by Bob Hill and it was fairly intense. I decided we students needed a website to discuss the issues we were debating in class. Thus TOL was born.​

Many members share a common view that TOL is the most fair forum, allowing a greater freedom to express your view. Yet it is moderated well, also. Can you share with us the basics of your philosophy of how you run this website?

That's the tricky part. How tightly, or how loosely TOL should be moderated? :think:

It's a tough balancing act...

- Allowing truth to be smacked without thwarting decenting opinion.
- Allowing fun to be had without slouching into the typical vulgar internet cesspool.
- Allowing folks to debate without letting things go too far overboard and mean spirited.
- Allowing people the freedom to express their ideas yet not losing all sense of morality and direction as a website.
- Needing support to keep things running but not selling the soul of the site to some other directive force.

Sometimes we hit the mark and other times we miss it. But I do my best to allow TOL to be a fun, spirited, intense, place to debate and exchange ideas all while ultimately honoring God.​

What inspired you to create a theology website that welcomes people of many different faiths, including even the non-believers?

Simply having a website filled with a group of folks that all had the same world view and theology struck me as a "snooze-fest". I want to know the truth. The truth should be able to stand up to scrutiny and so I want a place to test my world view and challenge my own beliefs. I always assume that I might be wrong, so I need to continue to test my thoughts, ideas, and beliefs, as to make them stronger and more accurate.​

Having been here since the beginning, Knight, do you ever find yourself exhausted of the duties required of you? How have you maintained an interest for so long?

Yes. I get exhausted. Yet there is always some new member, new thread, new debate, that makes me realize it's all worth it.​

Yes, but it's highly personal so i will keep that to myself. :)

Hmmm… besides yesterday when Time Tebow and the Broncos upset the Pittsburgh Steelers in round one of the NFL Playoffs??? :D

The happiest moment in my life is right now. I have a loving, beautiful, and awesome, wife. I have six great kids. I have a nice house. I enjoy what I do for a living. I'm just happy waking up every day and living my life. Thank you Lord for giving me the liberty to enjoy life!​

Hmmm… some of you already know and some may not...

Random things about me in no particular order...

- I was raised Catholic.
- I became a God hating atheist for most of my young adult life.
- I was the lead singer of a local Punk Rock band.
- I've coached a lot of youth hockey in my day.
- I'd love to find a good job in a warmer climate and move my family there (i'm sick of the cold winters).
- I love classic American Muscle Cars.
- I don't really like board games, I'd rather just talk.
- I enjoy smoking premium hand-rolled cigars.
- I love family, and family traditions.
- I'm terrible at solving puzzles.
- I played football in high school.
- I once moved to California to become a professional skateboarder.
- I raced high performance Go Karts.
- I hate flying.
- I am a complete novice theologian.

That's about all I can think of right now. :)

Yes, I care to share.
Loving God, loving Family, loving friends, is really the only thing that matters in life. Having the right Theology, politics, religion, might help us all live our daily lives to be sure. But when it comes right down to it… it's relationships that matter most. God is more concerned that we want to be with Him than He is concerned how accurate our denominations are. I used to get caught up in the chase to win the debate. I used my arguments like a hammer swinging them around with a proud look on my face. I'm a bit embarrassed about all of that now. I'm at the stage of my life where I look more for reasons to enjoy one anothers fellowship than I look for reasons to debate. So where does that leave a guy who created a website for spirited debate? I don't know. I guess TOL will have to lead me in a new direction for the next 15 years.

Thank you for the neat interview and allowing me to express my thoughts. :up:​

You're welcome Knight, I believe I can speak for us all in saying it was great of you to share your thoughts and we've enjoyed reading this :e4e: .

The Ten:
Spoiler

Salsa.

Basketball.

I love the sound of a rumbling V8 engine.

I hate the sound of too much commentary. Like in a football game for instance… the broadcasters just won't shut up. Talking, talking, talking, over analyzing every play to the 'nth degree. Just shut up for a few seconds and let me enjoy the game. :blabla:

My perfectly made cup of coffee this morning.

Common sense collector.

My cigars, and my MacBook Pro.

Loved. Love is ultimately the only thing in life that really matters.

My children. When I was younger I always thought… "what if my kids turn out strange? What if they end up being criminals or immoral in some way?" What if they turn out in a way that I don't like? What if I can't help it?

Yet, our kids really turned out amazingly wonderful. All six of them are smart, talented, and best of all they can socially interact with other kids and adults much better than most kids I know. Clearly homeschooling the 6 of them paid huge dividends. I'm very proud of how my kids turned out.

I would say I'm a seven. I like where I am now, but knowing how much i've changed in 20 years makes me realize I could change even more.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
rocketman

rocketman

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, rocketman, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

rocketman: I work in areospace, expressly with rocketry.

How did you find TOL?

A family member showed it to me.

I have not gotten interested in any other forums like I have with this one. There are lots of things to talk about and plenty of good folks to talk with. I would say this forum is far superior to any other.

Besides TOL, lots of things having to do with bass fishing which I have been involved with and competed at over the years, I like to search craigslist for deals on lots of items, I also enjoy reading the news and things having to do with space and rocketry my favorite site for this is spaceflightnow.com a great site for those in the business or just an enthusiast.

I would use it to move from CA. before they took it all :chuckle: really, I have never really thought about it but more than likely I would invest it and retire a lot earlier than I plan to now. A million really is not that much by todays standards so I would consider it a nest egg for my boys education and retirement.

I can't tell you it's a secret...:chuckle:

The neurosis that is called liberalism, it is the most heinous of mental disorders. Ahh it's incurable so in that case I would cure cancer (all forms) it is a terrible disease.

What color is your room?

cocoa, tan, something like that. I'll ask the wife. :D

Ford, Dickies, and Samsung respectively.

Very Conservative.

You list as a Christian Other, yet you are somewhat new to the website. Care to share with the group how you view your relationship with Christ?

I think mine says Christian, not other but, I will fix it if it does. I am glad that I am considered a friend of God by my faith in the gospel, Jesus saved me from myself, without him I am lost. My releationship with the Lord is just that, a relationship. I don't care for people that act pious, play church, but their hearts are far from him, I believe my relationship with the Lord is one of "keeping it real".

You've had the great honor of a meteoric rise in popularity in your short tenure here on TOL. What do you observe, contributes most to that?

Well, that is a tough question, I guess you are only as good as people think you are and I have had the privilege & honor of being the recipient of that reputation from almost all (wink wink) the folks here at TOL. I also think being a good poster, not being too confrontational, and trying to understand other points of view before being critical of it. Sometimes people come out of the gate here at TOL making enemies, it is really hard to gain that lost ground is all I would tell them. There is nothing wrong with spirited debate that's what makes TOL so great. I hope that helps.

If you could make just one statement for what you hope the future of your time here on TOL contains, what would you say?

There are great posts in us all, and I can't wait to read them. :thumb:

Life before Christ.

I'll change that to moments...The Day the Lord entered my life, marrying my lovely wife, the birth of both of my sons, the day I started launching rockets (what a thrill), being honored for Truthsmacker of the year and being ushered into the TOL hall of fame. There are so many blessings how do I begin to count...:idunno:

That I graduated high school in Tokyo, Japan

That there is no sin too big, no hole too deep, or any wound so grave that the Lord our God cannot heal. Jesus loves you and longs for you to have fellowship with Him.

Thanks Quincy, I hope this was adequate. :D

It was more than adequate, rocketman. Glad you participated and allowed us this insight into who you are.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Jesus

Oops

The sound of my reel drag peeling off line on a big bass.

Snap! line breaks :chuckle:

My two boys (8 & 5) arm wresting, quite comical the 5 year old is going to take the 8 year old if he is not careful.

easygoing, smiling, talking

Bible & a gun

respected

Leading a large build project (3 years) to support a critical launch for our nation's security and completing it on time, on budget, with very few small anomalies. Definitely, my finest hour.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Selaphiel

Selaphiel

The Interview:
Spoiler
James: So, Selaphiel, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Selaphiel: I have a fascination for angels. Selaphiel is one of the seven archangels, the name means "Prayer of God".

There are rumo(u)rs circulating that you may infact be a vampire. This is of course ridiculous right? This is your opportunity to dispel the rumo(u)rs. What would have say to these conspiracy theorists?

These rumors are of course completely unfounded :plain: My reply to such silliness would simply be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ioiag30eAI

How did you find TOL?

I was looking for a theology forum and I searched for one using Google.

This is the forum I spend most time on. There is almost always a topic to engage with here.

An assortment of articles on theology, a few gaming sites, a philosophy podcast, a progressive theology podcast, The center for process studies and Fr. Robert Barron's Word of fire.
Quite pleased with that, think I have representations that spans all over the theological spectrum. :chuckle:

Pay my loans. Set aside around 100 000 on a bank account for a rainy day and use the rest to help my nephews and niece to finance studies when they get there.

An efficient energy source that does not destroy our earth.

Since so many of the other interviewed people already plan on curing cancer, I guess I'll go for curing AIDS. :plain:

What color is your room?

Off white.

For affordable cars, it is Alfa Romeo. For other things, clothing in particular, I prefer more obscure brands that value craftmanship over mass production.

Social democrat and pro-life in the full sense of the word (against capital punishment, abortion, euthanasia and highly skeptical of war).
I'm a capitalist in terms of general market, but think every citizen should have the right to fundamental things such as healthcare.

You list as a Christian but have mentioned having prior views such as Panentheism. What inspired you to leave the more eclectic and esoteric faiths behind?

I would not say that I have completely left them behind, as if I somehow has attained the wisdom to reject these immense thoughts of great men and women in just a few years. I would say modified is a better word. I think panentheism is an element within classical theology as well, but it is a more restricted panentheism, what I would call a panentheism of being, like Aquinas' idea of our being is derived from God who is being itself and no other thing has the essence of being by itself. It can also be called soteriological panentheism, salvation is the restoration of our being into full communion with God.
That is where I am now I think.

What is your view on philosophy and which era in time do you believe had the best philosophers?

I think philosophy is important. It is the discipline of clear, analytic and rigid thinking. Philosophy should make sure that our ideas are coherent. It helps us ask the right questions.

I would not confine myself to one era. I have favorite philosophers, not eras.

You often mention being a videogamer, among other things. What appeals to you about videogames and what is your favorite?

Videogames is a fascinating media that has a huge potential for storytelling. Unlike books and media (Not that it replaces the need for books and movies of course) it interacts with the user and the user participates in the story himself instead of just passively observing it.

My favorite game of all time is Fallout 2.

Watching my mother die from cancer 4,5 years ago.

This question is probably far easier to answer for those who are married and/or have children :chuckle: As of now I belive more in periods of happiness, rather than these very magical momentary incidents of happiness.

Hmm..Not sure. Maybe that I'm a very serious tea drinker. Tea and tea culture (in particular Chinese and Japanese tea culture) are my hobbies.

There is a short story by Tolstoy about a king who seeks the answer to the 3 most important questions he knows about. Sum them up as:

1) What is the best time to do each thing?
2) Who are the most important people to work with?
3) What is the most important thing to do at all times?

And the answer and ending to that story is the hermit telling the king:

"Remember then: there is only one time that is important-- Now! It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power. The most necessary man is he with whom you are, for no man knows whether he will ever have dealings with any one else: and the most important affair is, to do him good, because for that purpose alone was man sent into this life!"

That story is prophetic truth to me. I guess Tolstoy taught it to me, but life taught me its validity.

Thank you Selaphiel, this was an intriguing and quite interesting conversation.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Theosis

"Hverdag" Means something like "ordinary day" in Norwegian.

The sound of rain.

Cutlery scraping against the plate. Makes me cringe.

An elderly lady in my church said if I colored my beard black, I would look like a guy who is a real fundamentalist muslim that is a lot in the paper here these days . Guess it is getting long. :chuckle:

Analytic, easygoing, introvert.

PC and internet.

Loved.

Not sure. My master degree when I soon finish it. For now I guess it is my bachelor degree. :chuckle:

6 or 7. Depends on what day you ask.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
SoJ

SoJ

The Interview:
Spoiler

James: So, Son of Jack, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Son of Jack: Well, the name sort of has a double meaning. I joined after finding out about the conception of our first child, whose name would be Jackson. Additionally, I was a huge fan of the work of C.S. Lewis at the time, and still am to a lesser extent, and all of his closest friends called him Jack.

So, in truth, I guess it could be attributed to a really bad case of dyslexia.:eek:

How would you end the rumors that you are a time traveling government agent who just wanted to see what a younger version of a man named Town Heretic (who may be your grandpa) was like?

What rumors?:noid: If I were one of the TH's grandchildren, he'd probably be disappointed by my utter lack of humo(u)r.:plain:

How did you find TOL?

I actually don't remember how I originally found the forum, but I first started taking an intense interest in it back when Zakath and Bob debated the existence of God. I was an off and on reader for years after that.

By far and away, it is the best. Lots of traffic and diversity. Pretty good moderation. Good mix of fresh faces and established members who are committed. And, some awesome people with whom I've had the privilege to become friends with.

TOL, Facebook (though I rarely go there any more), Google, Youtube. Honestly, I spend the vast majority of my internet time on TOL.

We would erase the small amount of personal debts we have left. We'd set up our children's college funds. We'd help my parents pay off their home so my dad could retire. The rest we'd give to family, friends, and various ministries.

A sense of humo(u)r for those who suffer from ITHD (aka, Insufferably Terrible Humor Disorder).:plain:

Cancer. My mom had and survived breast cancer, though she didn't emerge unscathed. My aunt didn't survive it.

What color is your room?

Khaki...thrilling.:plain:

Honda makes great vehicles. I wear whatever is cheap and comfortable and doesn't embarrass the wife (more than she already is). Nothing special for electronics.

Meh. I'm beginning to believe that politics isn't the answer to any problem.:idunno:

You list as a Christian and we all know what that entails. So where you always what you'd consider Christian, or has your life lead you here?

No. I haven't always been a Christian. I'll repost by testimony. Before I do that though, I wanted to point out that a number of people here at TOL have played a major part in shaping me from a Christian perspective.

My story sounds a lot like some of the other stories I've read so far. I was born into a family that didn't attend church regularly, but when I was nine, a group of people came to the YMCA and presented a "gospel" message to us (I put gospel in quotes because I cannot remember exactly what they said). I responded to what they said and went with a friend to pray a prayer, which in retrospect didn't make any sense (they were the ramblings of a nine year old who didn't know anything about the Bible or Christianity really). After I prayed, I called my mom and told her what I'd done. My mom was excited and said that we would find a church to start going to soon. Well, not to far down the road from where I grew up, there was a PCA church.

At that church, I began to learn the teachings of Scripture, if through a distinctly Calvinistic lense. Again, in retrospect, I remember being uncomfortable with some of the teachings of 5 point Calvinism, and openly rejecting (as only a 12 year old can) the concept of Limited Atonement.

Well, I went through high school, dealing with all the stuff that the average teenager does, but deep in the heart of me I knew something was still missing. I began to make some foolish decisions, decisions that haunted me for a long time afterward. I drifted away and began to have some real doubts about whether God even existed. All the while, my girlfriend (now my wife) kept getting me to come to church with her. Through her ministry in my life and the minister of the pastor where we were attending church, I began to come back around. I began to study the Scriptures, Romans specifically, but I still had a number of questions.

Well, as I floundered and wandered, I felt that God was calling me to go to seminary and study the Scriptures more exhaustively. I think I thought back then that I would be able to find answers to many of the questions I still had. When I arrived there in 2004, all the questions I had began to quickly evaporate under the guidance of teachers who really took the Bible seriously, who taught that Jesus really died for our sins (all of them) and that he was really raised from the dead for our justification. In truth, all of my questions weren't real questions at all. They were veiled attempts to reject the truth God had already revealed to me.

One night at church, we had a missionary from Morocco come and speak about his ministry there. Well, he read his passage for the night, Romans 5:1-11, and didn't hear another word that he said. I kept reading that passage over and over again and think about what it meant that Jesus died for our sins, even though we were, in truth, his enemies. I was blown away by God's grace in my life and in the lives of all people. I didn't get up and go to the front. I didn't get all emotional. I just knew. It was at that point I was converted and found in Him.

You have been known for taking sabbaticals from the website. Can you explain what you believe the benefit of them are?

Perspective. It really helps me to take a step back and evaluate some things. It is easy to become so engrossed in the topics that are discussed here that one loses the ability to think and realize that TOL isn't the world. It's but a small and very illustrative picture of the world.

Several years ago, I went through a long bout of severe depression. I felt lost and totally abandoned. Most of what happened to cause the depression was actually my own fault. In no small mistake on my part, I hurt the woman dearest to me, my wife, deeply. I don't wish to dicuss it openly, what I did but know I had hurt her. Anyone reading who is interested in hearing my story and what I accomplished through faith to fix it, please do message me in private, however.

Moving on, my depression had actually started before that, but that only served to deepen it further. I had a really hard time forgiving myself. It was through the encouragement of my wife and children and believing people here and in my world that I remembered my true identity as a child of God. I began to understand that I was the progidal that Jesus talked about Luke 15:11-24 and that I wasn't too bad to be loved by my Father. These truths have given freedom from my past mistakes.

Maybe, someone else can be helped or encouraged by my story, so like I mentioned a moment ago, I will discuss the details in private.

That's easy. The day of my wedding and the birth of my three children. My family is a wonderful gift from God. It is my greatest honor to be a part of it.

:idunno: My first grade teacher once sent a note home to my mom telling her that I was "as lazy as a yard dog.":D She said that because I was very self-conscious in first grade because of how slowly I finished my work (I was usually the last one) and so I would get my work, start working on it, and then when I thought no one was looking I stuck it under my desk. My strategy failed miserably when I got my report card.:eek: Interestingly enough, when I found out her words later on in life, they motivated me to be a better student than I had been, and I ended up with two master's degrees.:chuckle:

Don't listen to what the world says you are. Listen to what God says you are.:)

Thanks so much, SoJ, for this heartfelt interview. I hope some people out there needing inspiration do contact you. It would be a great thing to happen because of this thread.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Daddy

Broccoli

The sound of my wife and children laughing.

A school bell ringing.

My youngest son, Micah, leaning in to give me a kiss and hug before I left home this morning.

Child of God

My home and my Kindle Fire

Loved, without a doubt.

Being a father

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
ktoyou

ktoyou

The Interview:
Spoiler

James: So, ktoyou, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Ktoyou: I did not know what to expect here. I ran some way out groups in the past past and did not think my blunt forceful attitude would go over well. The name means K to you, or just call me K for now and it began on P&P some years back.

How did you find TOL?

I was looking for some definitive Christian stance, where it was not so sugar coated. I wanted one without that 'friendly moderator' who says, " I just do not think this is the group for you", closed.

Why not fight it out, see where it leads?

Then I began to like the "big show" to Knight's approach and his strange tales of creepiness, which led him to foundingTOL. I like that story and it may be exaggerated, but it conveys his feelings, which i agree with. In some ways, he is much like a strong son to me. He has guts and I like that!

This one is by far the best christian forum, although there are other good forums out there, some more serious, some just plain crazy where it takes wit to play the game and the game is apt!

Like bybee, you have somewhat of a matriarchal role on TOL. There are often new members who you have criticized for their behavior, and rightly so. If you could offer any advice for a new member of the forum, what would you say to them?

Just do not come into any internet forum and try to make it your own little space, that is weird! You have to get to know the members, then decide if you like it.

I do not see any sense in being the fool, yet if that is your bag, well, then it is.

You have to live life in the real world to have confidence. No one makes that up as a character, as there is always some of the real 'you' there, you cannot hide all of you. So, be real in that sense, or most will think you are not worth the time to get to know.

Ha, now that is personal! I do have many legal ties and still do business, not that I am ashamed of this, but it is easily misunderstood. Besides, I am here for what I do here, not there.

You mean, to give away, or use it as moot? I would still buy things for myself and yes, I would help many, then I have to question the following, as it is true. I am very controlling and some are better off without being tied to me. Most persons need to find their own inner strength, more than just going out and having someone buy security for them.

I suppose now, I would appreciate having studied the life sciences, maybe be one who finds the cure to my illness. Along with so many other illnesses. I guess I never thought about it much until it happened to me!

HVC. I guess it would sound better, had I said cancer, but why lie?

What color is your room?

My walls are a spry off white. I have one mainly in sage green and one like a little girl's room, then a guest room I never use. This one, it has antique white furniture, reds trimmings and lots of things the color pink.

For cars, I like the older Cadillacs. For clothes, I like all the high fashion, big names, although I wear less now. Mainly, I have many shoes all made in Italy!

For electronics, I go to audiogon, type in ARC, BAT, Krell, Ayron, and Esoteric. I have a Oppo, Bluray with Denon for HT with outboard Anthem amplifier on the front speakers.

I used to like Macs, but now I like BAT. VTL are better and the same may be so with ARC, but their preamps shine. Threshold was one of the best in the past for SS, not tube.

I am more of a conservative, moire classical liberal, or libertarian, but not like the super rich who control most of what is going on in the world today. The real war is between the super rich and the rich. The rest is all baloney, packaged and sold to the media.

You list as a Christian and we have some new members on the forum that may not be "in the know" about your story of faith. Can you share with us the story of your relationship with Christ?

I believe that the material world only goes so far, or you may only go so far in life. Then, even if you had the ability to rule all, you would never be content. To find your humanity, one must find one's humility and that is best done in Christ. He is the real light, even if you do not believe in an afterlife, as that is self-satisfying. You would be more happy having Christ in your life. This says it all.

As we all know, you have had your battles with your health. It is a blessing to have you among us as always, so if you could make one statement to the TOL community as a whole, what would you say to us?

Never pity me, on this. I respect all persons for what they are able to do, if they find their own inner strength. You do not have to be the great leader of the material, or spiritual, to find inner peace. We all have some illness we deal with; I had it easy for most of my life, now it hurts. I think it has made me stronger and a better person.

This illness by far! I had it way too easy in school, it was never a challenge for me. Work came as easy and I never had to fight my way from the bottom, yet I do admire that in people who have. Same with life, my kids were easy by most standards, I was lucky in many ways.

Most of my years from late adolescence, to when I became ill. Even my childhood was fairly good, but very strict by today's standards! Had I done what some do today, well, I would not be.

That some, more than I presume, did realise I am not so traditional. Look at some of the music I like? I am not as much a square as some assume.

The neat part is that K on TOL is actually less hard than I am in person. I always had to be that way, be able to push my way though. Now, I do not need this and that may be the work of God?

That it is not about being so well read, heck, I did that to the nth degree. That is just another pat on your back, or an insecurity. Get the fake clothes off and bare yourself knowing all feel just as much if not even more insecure!

There is no shame in truly belonging to God. You only need to seek and have faith to find Grace. If not, then you have what some talk about, the unpardonable sin, because you see it and know. Iit makes you evil to be so independent and isolated. Be a friend, not a foe, less educated persons taught me this most important lesson. I know it is the truth. Evil is turning your back on others and the Holy Spirit will show you how not to have this problem anymore.

Thank you K for sharing all your wisdom and experience with us tonight. It was a blessing to share in this with you.

The Ten:
Spoiler

phlegmatic

pathétique

le chanteur de soprano

(soprano singer)

buzz saw? Motor hum sound, buzzy sound???

I write le letter à mon ami et sens malenky?

(The letter I wrote to my friend and well meaning male in ky)

Aimer la nuit

(love the night)

Dies, kann ich nicht sagen, Vereinigten Staaten, wenn es Samtdunkelheit ist Vous comprend ?

This, I can not say, the United States if it is covered in velvet darkness, you understand?

Creusez-vous ? Je dis meurs de la nuit de velours trouve le contentement dans lequel est au-delà est ce que semble être l'obstruction, quand est la supposition ! Vous l'avez mis grand, vous conduisez le Maserati, la grande peinture de lèvre de rouge l'un ne fait pas de différence, qui un enterré dans la terre, pas vraiment si mauvais, pourquoi ne pas avoir la vie? L'obscurité de velours est le même comme la paix intérieure.

(You understand? I say the velvet of the night is contentment which is beyond what appears to be obstruction, when it is the assumption! The dark velvet is the same as inner peace.)

I say, you are not so bad if you like material, as long as you do not replace it with love.

It is always better to be la petite cheri ! I say better to love, not be loved, you best be one with love ! Respected is something you take! No one loves you for it really when you take. Vous seldom love from whom you take! Life is two sides, coming and going, loving and hating, being and going away.

I am me, but you no like? You now know me, so I am a bit of a curve, acquired taste, yet I amour, mon cher ! Be this my decree, or degree, what does that mean? If no one loves, then what is the value? Your answer, to love and be loved, to be touched by someone.

Vous devez appréhender, vous devez spéculer, ce qu'est demandé est être abandonné, si vous n'embrassez pas quelles découvertes vous ! You like me? I had all the ages, all the colours.

(You must understand, you have to speculate, what is sought to be abandoned, if you do not kiss what you have found)

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Guyver

Guyver

The Interview:
Spoiler

James: So, Guyver, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Guyver is a nickname my cousin gave me. I guess I’m what you’d call an outdoorsman. I used to, and still do a lot of hiking, backpacking, camping, dirt biking, and just being in the woods. Over the years I developed little techniques and stuff, and one of them is rigging stuff up with parachute cord, and duct tape of course!! Haha. So, that’s why I got the name

How did you find TOL?

I spent a few years on another very popular forum debating God’s existence, and arguing in favor of Creationism against atheists, skeptics, agnostics, evolutionists, etc. Finally, I just got tired of so much negativity and hatred toward truth that I looked for a new place. That’s when I found TOL. It wasn’t so much the people I was debating with that were unpleasant….it was just all the God haters in that place in general that got to me.

Like most everyone else around here, I think TOL is great. I love the format and find it much better than most. Easier to read, navigate, etc. And I love some of the features here like the rep thing.

TOL, Net Bible, NFL.com, 1611 KJV, KJV non1611 Version, NKJV, Young’s Literal Translation, Greek and Hebrew Interlinear, On Video.org, my motorcycle group forum, and a couple of other forums and places, and Photobucket.

I would use it for spending and giving away. I would love to have some property in the mountains with a river or creek on it…where I could build a wilderness retreat. I would also buy some fast cars and a couple more motorcycles. I’ve always been very fond of the Porsche 911sc but never owned one. But, in general I’m a car and motorcycle nut.

Anti-gravity propulsion.

Stupidity….no, violence….death? I don’t know. We’re all going to die someday.

What color is your room?

Mainly hunter green. It's a custom color I used when I remodeled the room and bathroom a few years ago.

No, but I tend to favor things that cost alot.

Apolitical. I have no confidence in the government. I used to be what you would consider an extreme conservative. But, I’m way too conservative for the Republican Party….so I do vote…but I don’t believe it does much good.

You list as a Christian and you are relatively new to the forum. For those who have taken breaks or new folk, can you describe your journey in faith to us?

Jesus called me when I was seventeen. I responded to his call and have been with him ever since….or I should say that he’s been with me ever since. Thank God for his mercy and grace.

Like bybee, you take a more understanding and less vulgar approach to rebuking than some you have criticized. If you could make one statement to the fellow brethern that you do believe are too harsh, or vulgar, what would you say to them?

Glorify God with your words whenever possible. That’s my advice…and I don’t think corrupt communication is glorifying to God, or edifying to your fellow man.

Oh man…..that’s a big question. There’s so much. For me, it was coming to the realization that the Bible is not inerrant. That was a toughie for me. I pretty much had an existential meltdown over it.

Wow! Another toughie! The very happiest? That is so hard to say. There have been so many joyous and happy moments in my life it’s hard to pick just one. The day I got saved….the days my sons we born…the day I married my wife….the day I caught big air on my 400 in the Pismo Dunes….the day I played my first big rock concert with a Christian Band in front of thousands of people in my hometown….I could go on and on. Once I saved a little girl from drowning. That was a big deal to me.

Sheezzz….I’m allergic to cats, and afraid of snakes and grizzly bears. I’ve written a novel, climbed a mountain called El Conquistador with no ropes, used to be on the Army Boxing Team, and played several hundred rock shows as a bass and guitar player. I have an aquarium in my office that has African Cichlids in it.

God is good.

Thank you (mac)Guyver for sharing this fun and quite interesting interview with us.

The Ten:
Spoiler

Unfathomable.

gimmee

Little kids happy feet running down the hallway in their pj's sound

My neighbor's dog sounds. I would describe it as sort of a screaming, whining, being disemboweled and never stops sound. I would like to shoot that dog with a high powered rifle. But, that wouldn't be right.

This list.

Only a man.

The Bible and a multi-tool.

Loved.

Being a good dad.

I'm in repair. I'm not together but I'm getting there. Thanks John Mayer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.