toldailytopic: Big churches compared to small churches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 22nd, 2009 10:16 AM

toldailytopic: What are the pros and cons of a MEGA sized church? What are the pros and cons of a small church? Tell us what size church you attend.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Small churches benefit from the intimate setting. Everyone knows each other.

Big churches benefit from the wider range of options, programs, and places to "fit in".

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have seen meaga churches, that do preach a gospel of grace, and that isn't your works or faith, so that nobody can boast. So it isn't your salvation to lose, since you didn't earn it.

Right there on Florida ave.

He also said one of my all time favorite things a Pastor has said, about America's immorality.

People would rather come out of the closet than clean it!

Not all the mega churches are in existance to line the pockets of its leaders. It is shameful that some do.

Aner

Can't fit the church meeting into someone's home - have to build a big @#$%^ cathedral (sort of an idol...) which has no other use except for a couple hours on Sunday. What a waste!!!

The foxes have holes, the birds have nests but the Son of Man has no place to rest His head.

People are desparate and they think religion will save them....

Jesus is found only in your pray closet with a broken spirit and fully submitted heart and mind.

Best,
Aner

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think that if you preach the TRUE gospel message it will be very difficult to become a MEGA church (not impossible, but very unlikely). The truth tends to be offensive which isn't always great for church growth.

Seydlitz77

Well the congregation I currently attend is around 150 - 170 men, women, and children on an average Sunday and I know from experience that when that average attendance reaches 250 - 300 (at least in this area) the Church starts looking at splitting it into two separate congregations.

Larger congregations it's easier for someone to fall through the cracks and go MIA unnoticed which I think is their main drawback. A smaller congregation though runs the risk of being less diverse so some people may not feel they have social peers in the congregation.

lucy

Mega vs Small churches

Mega vs Small churches

I attend a small church now. I have attended Mega churches and my experience was not as positive as it has been in the smaller churches. I found that in Mega church, it was difficult to get to know people, because it was so large that you could sit in the same place every Sunday and go to a smaller Sunday school, but the people you met each week were different people from the week before. The Mega churches tended to have a more "entertainment" type of service as well. That is probably a gross generalization of Mega churches, there are probably many that don't go for the entertainment line.

The pros of the Mega Church :
-financial security of the church
-more people to serve in different ministries
-more "programs" for different age groups, i.e. adults, -children,nursery, singles, divorce care, etc..
-more ministers to divide up the pastor's responsibilities
-more money for special projects like TV program, outreach, missionary funding, etc.
Cons of the Mega Church:
-loss of intimacy between members
-lack of knowledge of the needs of members
-lack of knowledge/identification of those who are in the
church but are not Christians (some attend to meet women/men- I call them "trollers" - or they have other reasons to attend but are not really believers)
-there is a quantity of activity but quality may suffer

Small Church Pros:
- members are familiar with each others lives
- members notice when someone is not there and follow up
-members get to "know you" so when something is wrong with you or a family member, they feel more comfortable asking if they can help you
- fewer "programs" but perhaps better quality since you know the members more intimately you may also know spiritual needs better and can focus on those needs more specifically
- a feeling of "family" is built between members

Small Church Cons
-fewer people to minister
-children's programs tend to suffer
-pastor has more to do than he can handle
-finances are a concern

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I watched 'Way of the Master' last night and they made some very good points about churches today making false converts, and I recalled something pastors I've had before used to say about they would rather have a small church full of saved people than a big church with no real Christians. I think in a big church it's easy to have a majority that isn't saved, and the pastor is less likely to know than in a small church. Also in many of these mega churches the pastor is less likely to care.

But if you did preach the truth, and cared about real salvation in your congregation and still had a huge building and still had to have three services, good on ya.

I also think programs are a con, no matter the size of the church.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We attend a small Calvary Chapel. Maybe 50 people on a jam-packed Sunday. It's nice to be able to know everyone. We don't go anytime other than Sunday morning, though.

We also have a very small home church of up to 10 people (max ever) and maybe a dozen or so online. We are able to have serious biblical studies there. Sunday morning Calvary Chapel is enjoyable because we have the corporate reading of God's Word. Though the scriptures are considered more from an applicational standpoint than any kind of deep biblical studying. I prefer deep studies, but do enjoy the corporate reading and corporate "praise and worship" (singing).

Status
Not open for further replies.