toldailytopic: Gays in the military.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 25th, 2010 10:30 AM

toldailytopic: Gays in the military.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well they're there already, for one.

For another, there is no good reason whatsoever not to allow them to serve openly.

Let's do this, get it over with, and move on to actual important issues. We've spent over a decade dithering over this nonsense.

:cheers:

Quincy

:idunno: They exist. I agree with Granite, just get it over with and move on to trying to do something beneficial for once Mr. President.

grit

Leviticus 20:9-16, NASB:
9‘If there is anyone who curses his father or his mother, he shall surely be put to death; he has cursed his father or his mother, his bloodguiltiness is upon him.

10‘If there is a man who commits adultery with another man’s wife, one who commits adultery with his friend’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. 11‘If there is a man who lies with his father’s wife, he has uncovered his father’s nakedness; both of them shall surely be put to death, their bloodguiltiness is upon them. 12‘If there is a man who lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death; they have committed incest, their bloodguiltiness is upon them. 13‘If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them. 14‘If there is a man who marries a woman and her mother, it is immorality; both he and they shall be burned with fire, so that there will be no immorality in your midst. 15‘If there is a man who lies with an animal, he shall surely be put to death; you shall also kill the animal. 16‘If there is a woman who approaches any animal to mate with it, you shall kill the woman and the animal; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.​

To me, I think for the Union of American States it’s really a question of whether or not the government and/or military has the right to enforce and even force morality and the lack thereof. I view that under God they have the responsibility to uphold the laws and morality that God institutes, and will be held accountable where they do not. I view that their rights end there for the Christian, but that they certainly have the ability of temporal power and civil popularity to act according to desires and characterizations of morality or lack thereof other than as God has instituted.

The American society and military at large have characterizations of morality quite distinct from that of Christian norms, which by and large now includes a consideration of homosexual rights of expression, lifestyle, and even open practice. Furthermore, they have developed a characterization of liberty that frowns on religious condemnation of homosexual expression. I view that this is offensive to God and not without consequence of judgment from God. It is likewise characterized even by some sovereign States other than America, which can also have military consequence. However, though there may be just cause for the position of military authority to maintain a ‘higher’ morality than even that found in American jurisprudence, it lends an appearance of being unjust to allow for ‘gay rights’ in society at large without extending them to the military defending such. Though it be an abomination to God, it is not self-inconsistent with American considerations of liberty, just or unjust.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
First off, there isn't a ban by Congress, whom controls the military, on being "gay".

The ban is on immoral behavior, including adultery. Engaging in homosexual activity is what is prohibited. "Don't ask don't tell" is an executive order seperate from the regulations written by the Congress.

A Marine genral most of you have read about has stated from a tactical standpoint and amoral position, if there is no gain with a change, we shouldn't just change. And to allowing open serve would be a huge change, and don't tell me all the gung ho blood and guts soldiers and marines would just move along without a hitch. It is unatural, and many who don't care one way or another what you do in your home find it disturbing. Because it is unatural. And immoral.

Buzzword

To quote Chris Rock:
"If they wanna fight, let 'em fight."

Our military has been hurting for recruitment for almost ten years, to the point that reservists who thought they'd never do more than train on the weekends are being sent into active combat zones.

Denying a particular group from joining up in such a situation is both militarily unsound and patriotically contradictory.

Since they're already in, let them be placed under the same regulations regarding fraternization as male/female soldier relationships.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I say this from a position of ZERO military experience, but I would repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Let them be open about it.

GuySmiley

I'd also repeal the don't ask, don't tell policy. But I'd go back to how it was before that. We need people to shoot and stab the enemy, not open hand slapping and hair pulling.

Tyrathca

I'd also repeal the don't ask, don't tell policy. But I'd go back to how it was before that. We need people to shoot and stab the enemy, not open hand slapping and hair pulling.
Seriously? You think a person's sexual preference somehow makes them completely incapable of effective violence? I suppose women in the military is out too...

Aimiel

Anyone foolish enough to be queer, doesn't deserve to serve in the military. It's hard enough transforming foolish children into college material, much less the fighting men and women of our military, without adding the folly behind homosexual behavior to the mix. I also believe that many good men and women would rather go to college, find a job or even simply be unemployed than take part in a queer military. I, for one, wouldn't want to trust my life in a foxhole to a queer next to me, who knows I'm straight. Their psyche is messed up, and they just aren't normal... in fact we have a word for their condition: queer. It isn't necessary or acceptable to allow them to serve our country's armed forces. It's folly.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Anyone foolish enough to be queer, doesn't deserve to serve in the military. It's hard enough transforming foolish children into college material, much less the fighting men and women of our military, without adding the folly behind homosexual behavior to the mix. I also believe that many good men and women would rather go to college, find a job or even simply be unemployed than take part in a queer military. I, for one, wouldn't want to trust my life in a foxhole to a queer next to me, who knows I'm straight. Their psyche is messed up, and they just aren't normal... in fact we have a word for their condition: queer. It isn't necessary or acceptable to allow them to serve our country's armed forces. It's folly.

This is easily one of the most deliberately ignorant and absolutely stupid things you've said in a while.

bybee

Another consideration

Another consideration

Women in the military are OFTEN forced to work side by side with men who rape and physically abuse them.
The military takes a punitive approach to women who report sexual harrassment and/or abuse.
Women just have to deal with it.
As a female, I'd rather work side by side with homosexual comrades. At least then I wouldn't be in danger of sexual assault.
And, this does come under freedom of choice in this life as long as one doesn't harm the vulnerable or destroy innocence.
I love the freedoms which America guarantees to all of it's citizens.
If I enjoy freedoms I must fight for the rights of all citizens to enjoy the same freedoms. Right? bybee

Granite

Hall of Fame
Women in the military are OFTEN forced to work side by side with men who rape and physically abuse them.
The military takes a punitive approach to women who report sexual harrassment and/or abuse.
Women just have to deal with it.
As a female, I'd rather work side by side with homosexual comrades. At least then I wouldn't be in danger of sexual assault.
And, this does come under freedom of choice in this life as long as one doesn't harm the vulnerable or destroy innocence.
I love the freedoms which America guarantees to all of it's citizens.
If I enjoy freedoms I must fight for the rights of all citizens to enjoy the same freedoms. Right? bybee

The answer to that would be, of course, that you womenfolk belong in the kitchen, not in uniform.

Aimiel

Or so you might imagine. I imagine there are plenty of girls who would be raped by their fellow female soldiers.

bybee

Well

Well

Or so you might imagine. I imagine there are plenty of girls who would be raped by their fellow female soldiers.

That is, of course, a distinct possibility, but, back in the day, I could have held my own against almost any other female! bybee

Granite

Hall of Fame

Now why in the world would you bring up something like that? This isn't a women in prison movie thread.

Aimiel

I've seen some queer females that I wouldn't want to tangle with. I've also known plenty of female sailors and soldiers as well as today: veterans whom I respect and admire, but still wouldn't want to serve with queers openly serving in the military. My cousin was queer, and was the highest ranking female in the Marine Corps when she retired, who still commands my respect and admiration; but serving openly is just opening a can of worms we don't need opened. I say let the policy stand as it is.

Aimiel

Now why in the world would you bring up something like that? This isn't a women in prison movie thread.
I didn't bring up the subject, moron, I'm simply breaking it down for those not being critical enough in their thinking, such as yourself. :duh:

Status
Not open for further replies.