toldailytopic: Has Obama eased or exacerbated racial tension in this country?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 12th, 2012 08:53 AM

Obama-partye-time.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Without question, he has exacerbated the racial divisions in this nation.

He resents the fact that he is half White.

The latest example being that he stoked the fires of racial tension in the Trayvon Martin case so that he could boost his chances of being elected again.

He should never have opened his mouth about this case. But, since he did, he has a responsibility...if he truly cares...to stop the New Black Panther Party and others from their obviously hateful words and actions.

And yet he remains silent.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
By being elected president, he exacerbated the problem. That's to be expected. The birther scams are a symptom of the fact that some people cannot bear the thought of anyone of African descent being in the WH.

The fact that most people laughed it off and went on, that's a good sign. And then we'll go on to the next thing, and there'll be another flare up then. That's how it works.

Obama did generally try to play down the race issue, which was to his advantage. I suppose if it had been to his advantage to play it up, he'd have done that, too.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
By being elected president, he exacerbated the problem. That's to be expected. The birther scams are a symptom of the fact that some people cannot bear the thought of anyone of African descent being in the WH.

The fact that most people laughed it off and went on, that's a good sign. And then we'll go on to the next thing, and there'll be another flare up then. That's how it works.

Obama did generally try to play down the race issue, which was to his advantage. I suppose if it had been to his advantage to play it up, he'd have done that, too.

Why is his Black half more important than his White half?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 12th, 2012 08:53 AM

He's exacerbated racial tensions, mainly through his own actions and organizations he's been involved with. The most recent one is his bone head comments on the shooting of the Gang Banger Trayvon Martin. "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." and "all of us have to do some soul searching to figure out how does something like this happen and that means that we examine the laws and the context for what happened as well as the specifics of the incident." It is as if Obama wants to divide America along racial lines rather than uniting it into the melting pot it was intended to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wasn't he the bloke who flew an airplane into New York? :think:

PureX

I think this is pretty much true. Except that I would add that it's wrong to automatically attribute an increase in racism to whomever happens to be the object of it. I don't think Obama has done anything to increase racism but to be a man of color in a position of power. Neither of which make him the cause.

The cause is more complicated and resides from the psyche of the racist.

My opinion is that socially biased anger, resentment, and even hatred have increased greatly in the last several decades and we see it being expressed as racism, sexism, homophobia, and religious and political extremism. And I would say that the two main causes of this increased social animosity are the stagnation of wages over the last 40 years and the republican electoral methodology of stirring up our social biases so as to focus them on their political opponents. These have made for a pretty effective one-two punch. And unfortunately, we play right into it because many of us are feeling frustrated and angry and are looking for someone to blame.

Last edited:

Buzzword

"Barack Obama was elected, not because America has grown up, but in spite of its immaturity."
-Karen Hunter, Stop Being Niggardly, And Nine Other Things Black People Need to Stop Doing

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Without question, he has exacerbated the racial divisions in this nation...The latest example being that he stoked the fires of racial tension in the Trayvon Martin case so that he could boost his chances of being elected again."
With this maneuver he should be able to get the leftist black vote and the leftist Mexican vote (Eccl 10:2). :Commie: Just have to add that "white Mexican" caveat.

Is "white Mexican" the new house slave or Uncle Tom? :confused: It's so hard to keep up (Ac 17:26). :dizzy: All you need to know is--:sozo2: they hate you. :Nineveh:

"He should never have opened his mouth about this case. But, since he did, he has a responsibility...if he truly cares...to stop the New Black Panther Party and others from their obviously hateful words and actions."
Eric Holder will get right on it. :plain: Eric Holder Praises Al Sharpton During Speech

Last edited:

This Charming Manc

Seems like his race is an issue of bigots on the right and very few other people.

I got to say the reaction to Obama from morons seems to be what has created the issues.

This Charming Manc

There actually on both sides, but if arguing that white folks have done worse out of racial tension and division over the years I think your on to a loosing argument.

And within this forum I see a lot more antagonism over race issues from the right, than left. But the balance of the forum is right wing.

To most on the left Obama is an slightly disappointing centerist president. not a great black hope.

I don't see why you can't juts say don't like the man's policies rather than always bringing his race into things

:sozo: Earth to This Charming Manic. The race baiters--Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc. are on :Commie: the Left. :dizzy:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I notice though that the people who want to make it about race on this board are mostly on the right. One of the things that so infuriated the racists during the last presidential campaign was that Obama continuously played down the racial angle.

Which made it pretty obvious when they tried to appeal to racism. They've never forgiven him for that. He continues to play them, as in the birther foolishness, which further marginalized racists, and separated them more effectively from the rest of us.

genuineoriginal

His election eased racial tension.
Obama won the election because of racial tension, not despite it.
Seems like his race is an issue of bigots on the right and very few other people.
Many people voted for Obama because they were bigoted racists that hated white people.
Many other people voted for Obama because they were white people who didn't want to be called bigoted racists.

genuineoriginal

I notice though that the people who want to make it about race on this board are mostly on the right. One of the things that so infuriated the racists during the last presidential campaign was that Obama continuously played down the racial angle.

Which made it pretty obvious when they tried to appeal to racism. They've never forgiven him for that. He continues to play them, as in the birther foolishness, which further marginalized racists, and separated them more effectively from the rest of us.
Your racism is obvious. :rolleyes:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"I don't see why you can't [just] say [you] don't like the man's policies rather than always bringing his race into things..."
The President of the United States brought race into the politics of Washington when he commented on the Trayon Martin case. :Nineveh: See: Keeping Racism Alive.

Do you think his irresponsible actions might taint the jury pool? :plain:

Christians know we are one race--the human race (Ac 17:26).