toldailytopic: Is it always wrong to kill another human?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 29th, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, it is not. Under certain circumstances, such as *actual* self defense and capital punishment, it is preferred.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

No.

There is what Rusha said, and also immediate defense of a helpless innocent.

But only if the dead person truly deserves to die.

Yes, it is always wrong.

Sadly, however, it is sometimes necessary.
I don't even know where to begin on the ignorance of this viewpoint.

PureX

I don't even know where to begin on the ignorance of this viewpoint.
"Thou shalt not kill". What's so confusing?

And I didn't read anything about Jesus killing anyone in "self defense", or the defense of others, either.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

And I didn't read anything about Jesus killing anyone in "self defense", or the defense of others, either.

I always understood that to mean *murder*. There is a huge difference between killing VS. murdering.

bybee

As far as we know He didn't get married either.
And He did say "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's..."

PureX

I always understood that to mean *murder*. There is a huge difference between killing VS. murdering.
Perhaps you understood it incorrectly. It doesn't say, after all, "Thou shalt kill only those thou thinks deserve killing". And there are no examples given of Jesus committing violence against anyone in defense of himself or anyone else. Just the opposite. When people came to kill him, he stopped those who would have defended him.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Killing can be justified ... murder cannot. There is a huge difference in utilizing the DP to put down dogs such as Richard Allen Davis and Ted Bundy as compared to the actions which put them on death row. The MURDER of their victims.

The deaths of those men and those like them protects society and other innocents.

bybee

Perhaps you understood it incorrectly. It doesn't say, after all, "Thou shalt kill only those thou thinks deserve killing".

Well, we could just stand still and let people rob us, rape us, assault us, murder us and our loved one's?
My life is more precious to me than preserving the life of someone out to harm me.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps you understood it incorrectly. It doesn't say, after all, "Thou shalt kill only those thou thinks deserve killing".

Nope ... no misunderstanding on my part. ANYONE who rapes, murders or molests a child is deserving of death.

Do you have a reason to why it would be better to keep such threats alive?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't see how that becomes your decision to make.

Unless they are actually trying to harm ME or one of my loved ones while breaking into *my* home, it doesn't. Unless, of course, I am a juror on a DP case.

Why is it your decision to allow them to continue to live so they have an opportunity to harm or kill others?

PureX

Well, we could just stand still and let people rob us, rape us, assault us, murder us and our loved one's?
My life is more precious to me than preserving the life of someone out to harm me.
You can do whatever you want. That was never the issue. Even the criminals do whatever they want. But then how are you any different from a criminal?

The idea I disagree with is the idea that the sins of others somehow justify our own. When Jesus came upon the adulteress he didn't dispute her guilt. But he did point out to those who sought to punish her for her sins that they were guilty of plenty of sins of their own. And by this reasoning he stopped them from carrying out their intended punishment.

God has not appointed us to judge, condemn, or punish anyone else. In fact, He denied us this 'privilege' so long we are still guilty of our own sins. And who among us is not guilty of our own sins?