toldailytopic: Is polygamy wrong?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 27th, 2011 05:33 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

MrRadish

I wouldn't say it's wrong, as such. Inadvisable, probably. In most cases romance is complicated enough with one person let alone with several.

Still, I expect it works for some people. I know a few people in multiple relationships (all open and above board) in which everyone seems healthy and pretty happy about it. Good on them, I suppose.

MrRadish

Why is it inadvisable if there is nothing wrong with it?

Because I imagine it's quite often involved in one or more of the participants getting emotionally hurt.

It's not wrong in and of itself, though, because fundamentally that's about people's reaction to it and not the thing itself.

A comparable situation would be two people who live in different countries and who don't have the means to regularly travel deciding they're going to start an 'official' romantic relationship. It works for some people, and I certainly wouldn't call it morally wrong, but I would think that in the majority of cases it would make things difficult and potentially quite painful and damaging. Thus, it's inadvisable.

Ted L Glines

Having been married twice, I recall that each one of those marriages was quite enough for me to cope with. If I had been married to both of those women at the same time, there would have been unnecessary moments of hurt and jealousy for each of them, when the other one was getting my attention. Marriage is one man and one woman totally involved with each other, and three really is a crowd.

Quincy

I watched that sister wives show a couple times, it was disgusting imo. I would never do it regardless of if people thought it acceptable.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As long as it's between consenting adults (absolutely no children or teens), then I don't see it as something that should be prohibited.

However, on a personal note, the opinion I have expressed with my daughter and son is that the act is demeaning to the person who has chosen to be part of their partner's harem.

Bradley D

1Timothy 3:2 "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;"

1Timothy 3:12 "Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well."

Leaders of the church are meant to be examples for members of the church. Therefore I believe Paul is saying that all Christians are to have only one wife.

jwp98

No scripture prohibits polygamy afaik. I suppose the case could be made for multiple husbands too, but what husband worth having wouldn't find his own harem?

The broadening gap between rich and poor, the death of romance, and the impressive survival of the FLDS church seem to point to a polygamist revival.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because I imagine it's quite often involved in one or more of the participants getting emotionally hurt.

Just like adultery. Nobody was beaten, murdered or robbed.

It's not wrong in and of itself

So basically you don't care if people get hurt. Just another hell bound godless piece of trash you are...

Lon

On so many levels....unless you are a mormon or a muslim.
For some reason they think that'd be paradise :confused:
Mormons, their own planet, Muslims, 20 virgins. :idunno:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
1Timothy 3:2 "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;"

1Timothy 3:12 "Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well."

Leaders of the church are meant to be examples for members of the church. Therefore I believe Paul is saying that all Christians are to have only one wife.
Might as well add in Deuteronomy 17:17 (KJV).