toldailytopic: Ohio High School Shooting: what can we learn from this tragedy?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 28th, 2012 09:52 AM

toldailytopic: Ohio High School Shooting: what can we learn from this tragedy?

379430.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The shooter was bullied. The shooter had an abusive father. The shooter ranted on Facebook. The shooter was placed in an alternative school for "at risk" kids and bussed there everyday from the public high school. The shooter was goth. The shooter was gay.

What do you suspect will be the lesson we are supposed to learn (from the media) for this tragedy?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Sometimes our initials conclusions are right.

And othertimes they're horribly incorrect and impatient. Nobody's going to really know anything about this for a while--and with all the hand-wringing, finger-pointing, speculation, and rushes to judgment, we may or may not get some truth. Or maybe we'll get more of the same hysterical media coverage with an agenda and most observers will blame their own pet villains and walk away from this tragedy self-satisfied. I hope not, but we've all seen this cycle play out before.

My heart goes out to the families and victims, and beyond that, I'm not sure of a thing that happened in Ohio. Nobody really is. Not yet.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The shooter was bullied. The shooter had an abusive father. The shooter ranted on Facebook. The shooter was placed in an alternative school for "at risk" kids and bussed there everyday from the public high school. The shooter was goth. The shooter was gay.

What do you suspect will be the lesson we are supposed to learn (from the media) for this tragedy?

From the media--lets see,

1. Gay is OK. :dunce:
2. Don't pick on gays. :allsmile:
3. Parents that try to correct gay behavior are baad. :toad:
4. Guns are bad. :colt45:
5. Guns should be banned.:banned:
6. If we ban all guns and protect the gays then violence like this won't happen.:idea:

What a pile of garbage! :mmph: What the media wants us to learn is gay.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
2. Don't pick on gays. :allsmile:
Yeah, I'm guessing this will be the final nail in the coffin.

There will be a new law called... "T.J's Law". And it will state that it is a criminal offense to make gay jokes in public and or on the internet. Any gay joke will be classified as bullying and therefore be criminal behavior. And if you bully gays in public or on the internet you will be placed in jail. IF... a gay is bullied and kills anyone, he/she is innocent of any crime since the REAL criminal was the "bully" and not the "bullied". Therefore the bully will receive the sentence that the "bullied" would normally receive.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

There will be a new law called... "T.J's Law". And it will state that it is a criminal offense to make gay jokes in public and or on the internet. Any gay joke will be classified as bullying and therefore be criminal behavior. And if you bully gays in public or on the internet you will be placed in jail. IF... a gay is bullied and kills anyone, he/she is innocent of any crime since the REAL criminal was the "bully" and not the "bullied". Therefore the bully will receive the sentence that the "bullied" would normally receive.

Disgusting. Another way law abiding citizens will lose their freedoms while perverts will gain special privileges they can use to walk all over the rest of us. It is entirely possible that such laws, if they come into existence, can backfire in the long run. The voting public may start looking for candidates that will overturn such oppressive jurisprudence.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Lesson from the Left:

Let's pass yet MORE laws restricting gun rights in this country. Let's ignore the REASONS behind the 2nd Amendment. Let's FORGET that we are not a communist nation.

Reality of the situation:

FACT: It is tragic when innocents are killed with firearms.

FACT: No amount of legislation will stop idiots from doing idiotic things.

Legislation is not the answer.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It drives me to madness. There is always blame for the WRONG THING.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah, and a few of the responses here are proving my point...

http://www.cleveland.com/chardon-shooting/index.ssf/2012/02/chardon_shooting_victim_russel.html

Okay, so this article mentions the kid havig an ex-girlfriend. Where did the idea/assumption that he was gay come from?
"One young woman said he attended a church youth group several years ago while he was dating a girl. Many students said he was heartbroken when she broke up with him and later began dating one of the boys who was shot."

source

Did the girl begin to date the boy, or did he begin to date the boy???

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, and a few of the responses here are proving my point...

http://www.cleveland.com/chardon-shooting/index.ssf/2012/02/chardon_shooting_victim_russel.html

Okay, so this article mentions the kid havig an ex-girlfriend. Where did the idea/assumption that he was gay come from?

And what I mean is (in case I wasn't clear, which I'm often not) that people blame the wrong thing.

It is the school's fault for not noticing the warning signs.

It is the parents' fault for not being supportive enough while the child grew up.

It is the fault of the peers for bullying and teasing.

It is the government's fault for not passing strict enough gun laws.

It is society's fault for not having enough programs for troubled youth.

It is EVERYONE'S fault except the person who actually pulls the trigger.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"One young woman said he attended a church youth group several years ago while he was dating a girl. Many students said he was heartbroken when she broke up with him and later began dating one of the boys who was shot."

source

Did the girl begin to date the boy, or did he begin to date the boy???

Knight, check out the news. It's been reported that Lane's ex-girlfriend was dating another guy, and that this new boyfriend of hers was among those Lane shot. As an FYI: your tone, believe it or not, makes it sound as though you're close to making light of this or deliberately getting your facts mixed up.

You've proved my point. I guess anyone with an agenda, or looking to score some kind of ideological points, is going to try to glean this tragedy for any edge they possibly can. That's typical, I guess. And deeply unsettling.:nono: :down:

RIP to the victims.

WizardofOz

I have seen no evidence of this boy being gay. As Granite pointed out, he had an ex-girlfriend that lead to him wanting to shoot her current bf.

He's gay? Cite?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I have seen no evidence of this boy being gay. As Granite pointed out, he had an ex-girlfriend that lead to some of the trouble leading up to this.

He's gay? Cite?

He can't, and he won't.

This is really upsetting. A new low.

You guys enjoy this thread all you can, I for one have seen more than enough of it.:nono: