toldailytopic: Old and New Testament: why is there a distinction between the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 2nd, 2011 11:31 AM

toldailytopic: Old and New Testament: why is there a distinction between the two?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The Old Testament mainly deals with Israel--the Bride. Much of God's character can be understood from studying His relationship with his Bride, Israel. The Old Testament is full of bride and marriage metaphors. This section of the Bible deals largely with this marriage covenant and how Israel was an unfaithful wife. The LORD eventually divorces her. The sad strains of this divorce can be read in the book of Lamentations. The Old Testament has the theme of a Rift between God and His people all through it. Sacrifices of bulls, sheep and goats cannot heal this rift.

The New Testament opens with the birth of the Messiah, the second person of the Trinity in bodily form. With Him is born the promise of reconciliation. In the Gospels much of Israel still rejects her husband causing Him to be nailed to the cross. But He opens the way of reconciliation for all people to Himself. The new Testament is about reconciliation. In the letters to the church, there is the frequent metaphor of the Body of Christ--the Church. This choice of a different metaphor for the church is deliberate. In Revelation there is the marriage supper of the Lamb, where the rift between God and Israel is ultimately healed, but also the rift between the Church (body) and Israel (bride) is also healed.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
is this a trick question?

why did Jesus suffer and die for us?
and
what was it like before that?

the old testament is used to validate the new one which contains the good news

the old testament is the letter of the law
and
the new one is the spirit

graceandpeace

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Old = flesh and death
New = spirit and life

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Old and New Testament: why is there a distinction between the two?

:think:

Because the Old and Older Testament version just confused everyone?

:poly: :liberals: :idunno:

i think there is too much of a distinction between the 2 in most people's minds, esp Protestants.

the law tht became "unimporrtant" after Jesus was the Mosaic Law, meaning the kosher laws and the law about circumcision and that kind of thing... not the 10 commanmdnets. Whne someone asked Jesus what he must do to be saved, He said to obey the commandments. when the man said he had done all those all his life, Jesus said he lacked one thing: give up all he had and follow Him.

that may not mean give up absolutely every possession you have, but we should at least detach from the idea that our things are ours excluseively. we should share what we have w/ the poor and disadvantaged. I can't say i do this to the best of my ability, but i try...

i kind of am the poor, but still, we could all give more than we do. The main thing we should give is Knowledge about Jesus Christ...

But if someone is starving... well, that is priority, obviously...

ithink the Catholic Church should have more "monasteries" where you dont have to be an ordained person who takes vows to live there... where everyone could live that kind of life for... a period of time...

uh... etc...

red cardinal

OT is old covenant [temporary/conditional due to rebellion and disobedience][national Israel], Levitical sacrificial system = animals sacrificed for atonement from sin [temporary]

NT is new covenant [forever, unconditional] [people from all nations], replaced old covenant, Melchizedek High Priesthood = Jesus Christ shed His own blood [sacrificed Lamb of God] as an atonement for all sin, once and for all, forever.

Squishes

The distinction was necessitated by the Jew's rejection of the books included in the New Testament.

genuineoriginal

The intention for both is the same:

Deuteronomy 29
10Ye stand this day all of you before the LORD your God; your captains of your tribes, your elders, and your officers, with all the men of Israel,
11Your little ones, your wives, and thy stranger that is in thy camp, from the hewer of thy wood unto the drawer of thy water:
12That thou shouldest enter into covenant with the LORD thy God, and into his oath, which the LORD thy God maketh with thee this day:
13That he may establish thee to day for a people unto himself, and that he may be unto thee a God, as he hath said unto thee, and as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.​

Jeremiah 31
31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.​

firon

Moses vs. Christ

Moses vs. Christ

The old testament especially displays God's law and judgments, but God was also gracious in the OT.

"The law came by Moses, but grace and truth came through Christ"

Those who reject God's grace will be judged acciording to the law, but Christ has delivered His people from the curse of the law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
When did the Old and New Testament distinction originate?
The distinction was necessitated by the Jew's rejection of the books included in the New Testament.
The new covenant is new because it is different from the old, the covenant God made with the nation of Israel through the prophet Moses.

The prophet Jeremiah spoke of the covenant that was to come.

Jeremiah 31:31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

Jeremiah 31:32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD.

Jeremiah 31:33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Jeremiah 31:34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Note that the covenant that is "old" is the one God made through the prophet Moses. That means that even though Christians sometimes divide the Bible into the Old and New Covenants, there is much even in the Torah that came before the old covenant came to be.

The writter of the book of Hebrews, in the Christian "NT", speaks of Jeremiah's words thus:

Hebrews 8:13 When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

SovereigntyIsGods

There shouldn't be. The Bible has one theme:

A Promising God, the recipients of His Promise, and the fulfillment of the Promise in Jesus Christ (Past, Present, and Future).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Silly question, and one that has attracted quite a few silly answers.

I was thinking some of the answers are spot on.

I had a copy of the Holy Scriptures. And it was definetly missing the last part.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The New Testament explicitly is about Jesus.
The Old Testament implicity is about Jesus.

You are actually close. You are missing the fact that Israel is in fact, God's chosen people.

red cardinal

You are actually close. You are missing the fact that Israel is in fact, God's chosen people.

were .........

Zec 11:7 And I will feed the flock of slaughter, even you, O poor of the flock. And I took unto me two staves; the one I called Beauty, and the other I called Bands; and I fed the flock.
Zec 11:8 Three shepherds also I cut off in one month; and my soul lothed them, and their soul also abhorred me.
Zec 11:9 Then said I, I will not feed you: that that dieth, let it die; and that that is to be cut off, let it be cut off; and let the rest eat every one the flesh of another.
Zec 11:10 And I took my staff, even Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people.

The chosen people of God are those who accept Jesus Christ as Messiah and Savior, regardless of ethnicity. Jews are on equal footing with the Gentiles [all nations]. The holy nation of God are those who are *in Christ*. There are not two chosen nations, only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.