toldailytopic: Positive influences. Who are some of the people in your life that are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 13th, 2009 02:47 AM

toldailytopic: Positive influences. Who are some of the people in your life that are your most postive influences? And why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Karl der Grosse

My sponsor. When I finally found my way to rehab, I was detoxing and had been in a coma four days prior, so all I wanted to do was sleep. Nope, he had other plans. He'd barge in my room and shout "Come on Boy, time to get up boy!" He'd bang on the table next to me, throw off my sheets....man I hated him lol! But you realize things in rehab, and this man honestly cared for me. He never gave up on me. Five sober and God-filled years later, I am a sponsor through NA, married, and expecting twins. He is still my sponsor (even sponsors can have sponsors) and like family to me. God bless him.

Son of Jack

My father - He is a man of quiet but deep spirituality. He has always challenged me and taught me what it means to work (see Colossians 3:23 and 1 Corinthians 10:31).

My mother - She is almost the polar opposite of my dad. She wears her emotions on her sleeve and almost always says what is on her heart. She loves deeply and passionately.

My wife - Too much to say here, but I'll just say that she has taught me in a very concrete way what true forgiveness is.

My 1st grade teacher - She sent a letter home to my mother, telling her that I was as lazy as a yard dog.:chuckle: I have never forgotten it and she has motivated me in so many ways. The truth is that she was right, and I still struggle with laziness.

C.S. Lewis - One word: Joy (if you've read much of his work this will make sense).

Blaise Pascal - He gets a bad reputation because most haven't bothered to try to understand Pensees.

There are many, many more....

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Any reason in particular, I mean beside being the pope and all?

don't know where to start and once started would not know where to stop

his influence cannot be denied

before John Paul, I never paid any attention to the pope but it was hard to ignore this one

I especially liked the way he inspired the young people

Granite

Hall of Fame
My dad--he's the finest man I've ever known, dedicated to his wife of thirty years, father of seven children. Articulate, a fine writer, brilliant in his own way.

My mother--truly a saint, she single-handedly raised and educated her brood. Long-suffering and wise.

My wife--to keep it short, she's the best thing that ever happened to me.

My friends and brothers--they are better companions than I deserve and forgive my faults.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Positive influences. Who are some of the people in your life that are your most postive influences? And why?

I promised myself I would keep it short.

Mrs Psalmist, it would be a long post, suffice it to say, "I would marry her again." :hetro:

My . . .
Dad, a man of his word, and seeing the love he had mom.
Mom, she ran a tight ship, and she loved dad very much.
Brother, a good friend and mentor in Bible studies.
Grandpa Harvey, a man who was bigger than life to a young boy.​

D. L. Moody, he proved a simple man could preach the truth of God’s word by God’s authority.

Charles Spurgeon, for pointing out the resting places and way-marks in the scriptures.

Darlene Rose, her name really spells - Perseverance.

Pat (Mike) Frazier, what the loyalty of a friend is.

Sam Hanks, Richard Petty, Jim Malloy, what champions are made of.

And host of real honest and square shooters here at TOL.

bybee

I have benefited from the love, concern and affirmation of several people throughout my life. Teachers who could see past the nervous, competitive type A kid that I was and find something in me that they believed to be worthy. My grade school Sunday School teacher who loved our class of girls so much she stayed with us for four years! But mostly, I benefited from the sterling example of my grandmother. She set the parameters of my young life regarding honesty, thrift, industry and how to be a good neighbor. Some of her axioms were; If it isn't yours, don't touch it. Don't waste anything. Don't EVER take more than your fair share. Get your work done first, then have some fun. My personal heroes are Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela, Sister Kenny, Rev. M. L. King, Jr., Paul Wellstone and John Sanders, people who have put the good of others before their own safety and well-being. peace, bybee

bybee

One of a kind!

One of a kind!

don't know where to start and once started would not know where to stop

his influence cannot be denied

before John Paul, I never paid any attention to the pope but it was hard to ignore this one

I especially liked the way he inspired the young people

He was a man of the people for all people. He radiated love. I had/have the highest regard for him. peace, bybee

Aimiel

My dad, because he's my hero. He earned many service ribbons and medals in WWII, including the Bronze Star for valor. He worked for 31 years as a Lettercarrier for the US Postal Service, despite having his kneecap shot off in Germany (his second cluster on his Purple Heart, which was a 'million-dollar-wound' although he never saw a penny of that money). :chuckle:

Cleddie Keith, Pastor of Heritage Fellowship Christian Assembly, and Assemblies of God church, in Florence, Kentucky; because he is an ambassodor for Christ, welcoming all denominations and having guest speakers from all over the world in healing and prophetic worship services every Friday, in obedience to The Holy Spirit. The man knows how to get ahold of God and how to yield a service to His direction and guidance. :thumb:

Son of Jack

He was a man of the people for all people. He radiated love. I had/have the highest regard for him. peace, bybee

As do I...as a Southern Baptist:shocked:, I found him wonderfully evangelical and challenging...made me think about the RCC in a completely different way.

yokefellow

My parents: married 30+ years and raised my sister and I in a Christian, loving, caring, supportive family environment.

My grandmother: She's always been an example of an independent woman, working outside of the home most of her life, and still raising three children. She's also the funniest, liveliest, busiest 75 year old I know, and one of my biggest fans.

My husband: could go on and on here, but his love and support for me continues to amaze me. He makes me want to be a better woman.

DocJohnson

Definitely my parents. I wouldn't be the man I am today without them... literally. :D No, but seriously, they believed in me when my public school teachers were trying to convince them I was an idiot and couldn't learn anything. Not that my teachers were that far off, I just stay at Holiday Inn Express a lot.

Aimiel

My parents have made me the caring parent that I try to be today... they adopted my biological sister and myself... and raised us the best they could, giving us a stable home and family. My kids have also influenced me, each of them becoming what they are in spite of my poor attempts at parenting. :chuckle:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My parents and the pastor's wife from the church I attended as a teen.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nana- If it hadn't been for my grandmother, I would have probably committed suicide in my teenage years. She helped me to find my dad and encouraged me to get involved in my church even though my mom didn't want me to go to any church at the time.

Mr. Simmons- My eighth grade history teacher saw that I was having a hard life and noticed that I had a little bit of talent when it comes to writing. He encouraged me to grab that little bit of talent and express myself through my writing instead of hurting myself.

Pastor Paul- This man and his wife, Jan, were the first Christians I saw besides my family (grandmother and aunt) who went out of their way to help those who were less fortunate than themselves. I try to base the way I live my life on the way I saw them live their lives when I was a twelve to fifteen year old girl.

My parents- Although my mom was abusive and my dad wasn't there, I don't think I would have turned out to be the kind of parent I am if it hadn't been for them.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My sponsor. When I finally found my way to rehab, I was detoxing and had been in a coma four days prior, so all I wanted to do was sleep. Nope, he had other plans. He'd barge in my room and shout "Come on Boy, time to get up boy!" He'd bang on the table next to me, throw off my sheets....man I hated him lol! But you realize things in rehab, and this man honestly cared for me. He never gave up on me. Five sober and God-filled years later, I am a sponsor through NA, married, and expecting twins. He is still my sponsor (even sponsors can have sponsors) and like family to me. God bless him.
would you say that thanks to his influence you are no longer under the influence?

My father - He is a man of quiet but deep spirituality. He has always challenged me and taught me what it means to work (see Colossians 3:23 and 1 Corinthians 10:31).
I'm getting a psychic message... is his name Jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.