toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 17th, 2011 10:26 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Considering it is impossible for like genders to marry, the point is moot.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Do you believe there should be any restrictions on marriage? If so, what types of restrictions?

Given the importance and (ideally) permanence of the situation I'd say it should be limited to adults.

I don't much care for advocates of polygamy, generally because they usually seem to be long-in-the-tooth predatory religious creeps who are after a stable of young girls, but, if a legal adult is crazy enough to want to marry as many women (or men) as they please, go on ahead.

zippy2006

Against it via natural law. Maybe a poll would be interesting Knight? :e4e:

Used to be for it, used to think I would always be for it, am no longer for it. :p

Mr.Razorblades

Wait, what is natural law? And how did the individual(s) who thought of this come to the conclusion of what is natural and what is not natural?

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 17th, 2011 10:26 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I have avoided these questions but will try to answer now.
Same sex erotic love is completely foreign to me. Years ago, a gay friend of mine said that heterosexual erotic love was completely foreign to him.
Marriage is a civil contract. It guarantees certain protections under the law to the party's involved.
Our country enforces separation of church and state. So, if the state decides to legalize same-sex marriages I have no quarrel with it.
I believe that religious denominations have every right to bless only those nuptials which conform to their stated requirements.
A certain percentage of the world's population is born with sexual orientation which is outside of the norm.
Marriage ought to be restricted to consenting adults.
I am opposed to polygamy which has older men amassing hareems of young girls.

The family is, I believe, the foundation of society. I like to keep it simple.

Silent Hunter

. . . for it . . .

. . . and what good would a "poll" do other than show the "anti" bias of christians . . . :rolleyes: . . .

. . . except for bee and a very few others.

Mr.Razorblades

So bybee, are you for it or against it? Or do you not have an opinion because you believe that it is irrelevant either way? There are no hidden meanings behind these questions, just pure curiousity.

Cracked

Marriage, at least in the way we often look at it, is an affair of the state. What the world does it does, and if I strain to look with secular eyes I do not blame it in this regard.

However, same-sex marriage has no place in the church. Christians should not have sexual relations with the same sex in or out of faux marriage. Christians should not have sexual relations outside the bonds of marriage regardless.

The church's understanding of what a marriage is is different from that of the state--which necessitates the different approaches. While Christians can vote on such matters, I support them voting their consciences in regard to this. However, I do not support any active persecution of homosexuals whatsoever. They are flawed human beings like the rest of us, and if we start throwing stones most of us are in big trouble...

Buzzword

bybee said:
Same sex erotic love is completely foreign to me. Years ago, a gay friend of mine said that heterosexual erotic love was completely foreign to him.
Marriage is a civil contract. It guarantees certain protections under the law to the party's involved.
Our country enforces separation of church and state. So, if the state decides to legalize same-sex marriages I have no quarrel with it.
I believe that religious denominations have every right to bless only those nuptials which conform to their stated requirements.
A certain percentage of the world's population is born with sexual orientation which is outside of the norm.
Marriage ought to be restricted to consenting adults.
I am opposed to polygamy which has older men amassing hareems of young girls.

Sounds good to me.

Companies are prohibited by law from discriminating against individuals because of their sexual orientation.
I believe this should be extended to benefits such as pensions, life insurance, etc. which can pass to an individual's spouse if the employed individual dies.

I believe no person(s) willing to provide a loving, caring home for children should be prevented from adopting regardless of sexual orientation, as long as they have no criminal record beyond traffic violations unless they can provide paperwork detailing recovery therapy and be cleared by a psychiatrist.

I believe it is not the government's place to legislate what goes on in the bedrooms of consenting adults.

I also believe that religious institutions should not be liable for lawsuits because they refuse to hold weddings for anyone.
They are private institutions, and like all private institutions have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

One area which should be legislated at the federal level is that if a same-sex couple gets married in State A where same-sex marriage is legal, their marriage license must be upheld even if they move to State B where it is not.

Selaphiel

For it. There are no secular reasons to oppose the marriage of two consenting adults as far as I can see. Marriage is also a secular act that can be done without any religious involvement whatsoever.

zippy2006

For it. There are no secular reasons to oppose the marriage of two consenting adults as far as I can see. Marriage is also a secular act that can be done without any religious involvement whatsoever.

Many responses, such as your own, are symptomatic of an isolation of God from part of man's life, which is very problematic for Christians who claim to hold Dominus Deus, that Christ is the Lord of their life and the God of all. It is a sequestering of God and it is unBiblical and unChristian.

(spoken to Christians: ) You don't agree to disagree on abortion or murder, so why do you agree to disagree on the sanctity of marriage?

:e4e:

Status
Not open for further replies.