toldailytopic: What are your plans for retirement?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 13th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I hadn't really thought about it when I was disabled with respiratory issues. At the time of this disability thing I was a funeral director, it was a job I liked and thought that is what I would retire from on a full time basis to part time status, it didn't quite work out that way.

So I'm comfortable with what I'm doing now, nursing home ministry, I'm blessed to be active in this ministry as I see it there is no retirement in serving the Lord. I officiate 4-5 funerals a month so that keeps me in the funeral service loop.

Then there is our grand kids and other family stuff, travel when can, so our retirement fits the two of us (Mrs Psalmist and me) very well. And with Mrs Psalmist health these days I get be a care giver to the loveliest, sweetest, sweetheart in my life...

:hetro: Mrs Psalmist :cloud9:

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Realistically?

Work as a WalMart greeter or some other meaningless dead end job until I die. :plain:

WizardofOz

Me and my SigO have tentative plans to RV across America to visit all National Parks, coasts, select cities and other sites. I was lucky enough to fall in love with a girl who loves the outdoors and loves to camp so maybe even a van or pickup truck would get the job done. We usually tease people who "camp" with an RV but I can see how it might be nice for long trips.

I wouldn't mind exploring Canada more. I definitely want to do the Boundary Waters in Northern Minnesota. We love to raft, kayak etc. A rafting trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon would be a top pick for me.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Retire? I'm not going to tire in the first place. :nono:

I hope to keep writing until I'm done and everyone knows I'm never really done writing. :D

Buzzword

What is this "retirement" and how do I get in on it?

The way the world is going, my generation will be FORCED to work until we die, given that inflation and ever-more-corrupt business practices are leaving us with fewer and fewer available jobs that pay enough to do more that cover basic expenses.
At least, until the Baby Boomers have died off.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
My husband and I are retired after years of both being self-employed.

Our early goal was to become debt-free, which we achieved, and I recommend it to all, if possible. For without debt, people can live very well on very little income.

Up until just a few months ago, I was still doing volunteer work, but I have even retired from that, and enjoying even more time for reading and bible study. My husband enjoys hobbies and helps . . . he is the neighbor everyone calls on when something needs fixing or resolved. So he never really stops, and is always tinkering on something.

(Psalmist: He just bought a '72 El Camino and is fixing it up!)

We are never bored and live full lives; enjoying good health.

So that would be my advice if asked. Take care of your health and pay off your debts and retirement can be a little taste of heaven.

Nang

Dena

I really haven't worked for money much at all so "retirement" doesn't mean anything to me. When my husband finally retires, which I imagine won't be until he's fairly old (based on his choice, not mine), I'm not sure what we will do. Go somewhere warm I hope.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm already retired..Having fun posting on TOL and when I am not posting on TOL, I either play the Violin in a Symphony Orchestra or teach kids about Jesus.