toldailytopic: You are on a Pulpit Committee. What are two questions you will ask the

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 26th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: You are on a Pulpit Committee. What are two questions you will ask the pastoral candidate?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

not4sure

[1] How do you balance the priorities of family and ministry?
[2] If you become pastor, what is this church like in 10 years?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
TOL is the pulpit committee YOU are on it.

no.1.
Why do we have a pulpit? Paul didn't, he so established the assembly so that the ministry is set within the body. Each member has something to contribute, a word of wisdom, a word of knowledge, a prophetic word, an exhortation. A message in tongues with interpretation...here somebody has a scripture reading there another has a psalm or spiritual song....somebody is led to pray....

There is no pulpit, there is no pew. Nobody falls asleep.

no.2.
Would not such an assembly as this revolutionise church and turn the world upside down? Such an assembly presupposes that the Holy Ghost is in control, that all are in submission to Him...if He is in control and all are in submission to Him there will probably be healings and miracles.

IT'S TIME...raise the dead, the church of God is not dead but she is sleeping "...and her spirit came again and she arose straitway and He commanded to give her meat"

IT'S TIME....the Reformation took us a lttle way back to the new testament, let's go back ALL the way. Do you want to save America?

HisServant

First of all, I wouldn't go to a church with a 'pulpit' committee. The pastor should be one of your elders that has the gift of teaching... and if you have multiple, you rotate the teachers.

The entire idea of bringing in a 'hired gun' to lead your church is a concept I could never wrap my mind around. It wasn't something that the early church did either.

Ardima

There is no pulpit, there is no pew. Nobody falls asleep.

LOL, tell that to the young man Eutychus who fell into a deep sleep while Paul was preaching. I don't think he got the memo...

The pews are there so the pastors don't have to worry about their people falling out the window when they fall asleep during the preaching. If we didn't have pews, pastors would have to call someone from the congregation back to life at least once a month; if not more.

Seriously though, whether you believe there should be a pulpit committee or not, the OP places you in a hypothetical situation: therefore, it is not unreasonable to give an answer to the OP for the situation given regardless of what you feel toward it. So if I was on a pulpit committee the two questions that I would ask are:

(1) What should your first priority be as the pastor?

(2) What should the Church's first priority be?

I believe there is one answer to both of these questions; to fulfill the Great Commission. I believe that this is to be every believer's main priority and that all other doctrinal debates are merely secondary matters. Important yes, but not top priority in our lives.

There are three parts to the Great Commission; Praying, Sending, and Going. Though it may be impossible to do all of them, we as believers can always do at least one of them.

IMJerusha

toldailytopic: You are on a Pulpit Committee. What are two questions you will ask the pastoral candidate?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

1. Do you love the Lord your God with all you heart, soul and mind?
2. Will you love your neighbor as yourself and love the Body as Yeshua did?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:think:

If we outgrow our building, what would be your plan? And along with that, how would you finance any building projects if you wanted to build?

Who do you try to target with a sermon: Everyone? Mature believers? New believers? Unbelievers? other?

bybee

Two things are important to me. Our church is organized around Bible readings from The Old Testament, The new Testament and the Gospel. The Rector must build his sermon upon the assigned Sunday readings. It is important to me that the sermon stress the Gospel reading of the day. Secondly, outreach is important. I'd like to hear his/her ideas on how to possibly enhance our existing programs.
Still, it is the total person we must consider and how well this person will function as the spiritual leader in our Parrish.

HisServant

I'd ask him if he believes in scripture and why he doesn't follow the model that Paul implores those that would be in the ministry to follow.

I.e... how is he going to feed himself and his family without raiding the offering plate?

Doormat

Is the 2nd an invitation?

No. It's a question.

Wouldn't you want to know if your potential pastor has any problems that might lead to members of the flock being hurt?

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

1) Do you believe the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God?

2) Who do you believe Jesus Christ is?

These two questions would narrow the field...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1. Do you love the Lord your God with all you heart, soul and mind?
2. Will you love your neighbor as yourself and love the Body as Yeshua did?

If he is honest, the answer is no. See, I don't like it when people imply they do or somebody else does. If they did, the Lord Jesus Christ would not have had to die for sin.