Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Was God loving when he stigmatized certain people?

For example, He called women who sold their bodies, harlots. Of course today it isn't nice or politically correct to label people as they once were. A child born out of wedlock was really looked down upon and called a very derogatory name. Today there is little shame that goes along with this and the mother is praised for being a "single mom".
When there is more shame that is brought upon a sinful situation, it speaks volumes for ones who are considering that same situation. When people take things like adultery, homosexuality, and children born without a father lightly and reduce the shame that God associates with it, there is a greater chance of it happening and therefore a greater chance of one harming themselves and others. God was not a big meanie when he stigmatized these people. He wanted great shock value to come along with their shameful acts to ensure that nobody would be tempted to fall into such vile acts so God was loving in doing this.

beanieboy

You think it is loving to call a child a bastard?
You think it makes sense to complain of abortion, then condemn mother and child when it is born out of wedlock?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by beanieboy

You think it is loving to call a child a bastard?
This question is clearly answered in my first post.
You think it makes sense to complain of abortion, then condemn mother and child when it is born out of wedlock?
Where do you get that if one complains about abortion, they shouldn't also complain about a child being born out of wedlock? :confused:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Re: Was God loving for stigmatizing people?

Originally posted by Poly

A child born out of wedlock was really looked down upon and called a very derogatory name.
Please list some references. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one mother in the Bible who got pregnant before she was married. And neither her nor the child were stigmatized, well not in the long run.

A child has no say in who his/her parents will be, so I've never really understood why one born out of wedlock should be punished for the mother's and "biological father's" sin. Can anyone explain that one to me? :confused:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Was God loving for stigmatizing people?

Re: Re: Was God loving for stigmatizing people?

Originally posted by Lucky

Please list some references. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one mother in the Bible who got pregnant before she was married. And neither her nor the child were stigmatized, well not in the long run.

Deuteronomy 23:2
Hebrews 12:8

In both of these passages a derogatory name is given referring to one who is without a father.

A child has no say in who his/her parents will be, so I've never really understood why one born out of wedlock should be punished for the mother's and "biological father's" sin. Can anyone explain that one to me? :confused:
But who is it that's doing the punishing? This is one of many abusive things that parents do to children. Maybe somebody could explain it to me as well.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Poly

Thanks. I'd like to do some more studying on this. :poly:
But who is it that's doing the punishing? This is one of many abusive things that parents do to children. Maybe somebody could explain it to me as well.
Ah, I see what you mean. I actually know someone who was born out of wedlock and was stigmatized by her own mom. It's no wonder that the child quickly had her own child, out of wedlock, at a rediculously young age. And it already seems like she is treating the child worse than her mom treated her. :shake:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by beanieboy

Jesus was born to a woman that wasn't married.
Should we use that name to refer to Jesus, now?
The "b"?
Jesus had a Father. The same One that says you are condemned.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't think the verse in Hebrews was actually referring to children born out of wedlock. It was saying that those who call themselves Christians but do not live according to the law, are liars.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

I don't think the verse in Hebrews was actually referring to children born out of wedlock. It was saying that those who call themselves Christians but do not live according to the law, are liars.
Yes, I realize that God is painting a picture here but in His picture He is showing that they will be as one without a father.

"But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the bump! First time seeing this so I didn't get to vote until now.

YES!!!

Warning, run-on sentence ahead:
The indefatigable efforts of a handful of very loving friends to shame me for my choices in life played a huge part in giving me the desire to escape that life enough that I was able at last to let God rescue me from it.
Whew. Probably could have broken that down into more than one sentence.

And I do mean "indefatigable". As in constant, never ending and without pause for more than a fresh cup of coffee. I'm still kinda glad they hadn't yet learned about 1 Corinthians 5:11 on one hand while wondering how things would have been different if they had. :squint:
Of course they did twink to that verse eventually and I wasn't even allowed to come around anymore. The one instance where an exception was made I flipped out at being preached at and it cost me my best friend for a while. Never would have seen any of them again if I had been saved soon after that.

I wish there had been more than just a handful of people speaking in opposition to the whole world's approval. I have no doubt I would have probably gotten out sooner.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the bump! First time seeing this so I didn't get to vote until now.

YES!!!

Warning, run-on sentence ahead:
The indefatigable efforts of a handful of very loving friends to shame me for my choices in life played a huge part in giving me the desire to escape that life enough that I was able at last to let God rescue me from it.
Whew. Probably could have broken that down into more than one sentence.

And I do mean "indefatigable". As in constant, never ending and without pause for more than a fresh cup of coffee. I'm still kinda glad they hadn't yet learned about 1 Corinthians 5:11 on one hand while wondering how things would have been different if they had. :squint:
Of course they did twink to that verse eventually and I wasn't even allowed to come around anymore. The one instance where an exception was made I flipped out at being preached at and it cost me my best friend for a while. Never would have seen any of them again if I hadn't been saved soon after that.

I wish there had been more than just a handful of people speaking in opposition to the whole world's approval. I have no doubt I would have probably gotten out sooner.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Erm...I tried to edit my post to include the specification that I not only was saved but renounced homosexuality. A shame you have to actually make that point these days.
But I quoted and posted instead. I can seem to edit that post (no edit button) so sorry for the double-bill. :eek:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame

In both of these passages a derogatory name is given referring to one who is without a father.
There is more to it. In Deuteronomy, the word "bastard", translitered Hebrew "mamzer", refers specifically to a child born of an Israelite father and a heathen mother. The sin here is idolatry. In Hebrews, the word "bastard" refers to one of uncertain parentage. The subject is those who refuse the correction of (i.e., reject) God as ultimate parent.
Part of the problem lies in regarding state-sanctioned marriage as equivalent to or superior to what constitutes a marriage according to God's law. Perhaps a lingering idea from our Puritan forebearers.

Granite

Hall of Fame
People stigmatize others. At least own up and take credit for your hostility towards or contempt towards certain individuals or groups.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People stigmatize others.

:duh:

But the subject is over God stigmatizing people.

Granite said:
At least own up and take credit for your hostility towards or contempt towards certain individuals or groups.

Who isn't owning up? You do remember this is TOL, right? I don't think you'll find a shortage of people around here who won't own up to their hostility towards others.

Pekkle

No I don't think he was loving for stigmatizing people.

Especially with derogatory language.

It could of been written in a more loving way then using insults.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Yes, I realize that God is painting a picture here but in His picture He is showing that they will be as one without a father.

"But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."
Four years? Yikes! Well, since, for some reason, I did not answer this then, I will now: While I agree that it is right and good and loving to stigmatize those who are spiritual bastards, I do not think it is any of those things to do so to a child who is not at fault in that his parents were not married.