What Are You Reading Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started reading Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and could not get through the prologue without my eyes watering. I think I will just read that at home. So anybody reading something interesting or informative? I have several "religious" books to read, but don't know which one I'll start after Lone Survivor.

swanca99

For my light (i.e., other than Bible, Theology, etc.) reading, I'm currently reading "A Desert Called Peace" by Tom Kratman. It's science fiction.

For my light (i.e., other than Bible, Theology, etc.) reading, I'm currently reading "A Desert Called Peace" by Tom Kratman. It's science fiction.

Although I've put it aside temporarily, I'm also reading A Clash of Kings (Book 2) by George R. R. Martin. Like you, I read a wide variety of reading material besides the Bible.

Breathe

Just finished reading 'Dust', by Patricia Cornwell. Don't waste your time or your money - her books have been steadily going downhill for a few years now.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm reading People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck. I'd gotten the book on the recommendation of a couple friends here and had no idea what to expect from it. His approach to evil people from his standpoint as a psychiatrist is absolutely fascinating. He grabbed me from the opening pages.

Levolor

I'm reading People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck. I'd gotten the book on the recommendation of a couple friends here and had no idea what to expect from it. His approach to evil people from his standpoint as a psychiatrist is absolutely fascinating. He grabbed me from the opening pages.

That is an excellent book!

When it first came out and after I read it, I purchased more books to give away. Everyone was fascinated by it too. It's eye-opening for sure.

Dena

Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power - Rachel Maddow
We Are Water - Wally Lamb (fiction)
Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders - Joy Ladin
Judaism In A Secular Age: An Anthology Of Secular Humanism

Buzzword

Just finished Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind.
Life-changing piece of fantasy work.

Picked out a bunch of books that I've known the stories of from supplemental materials/adaptations for years, but never took the time to actually read the book.

Started with The Hound of the Baskervilles yesterday.

lifeisgood

The Forgotten Trinity by James R. White

Trojan Church: The New Age Corruption of the Evangelical Faith by Dr. Gregory R. Reid

The Color of Pain by Gregory R. Reid [His testimony]

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That is an excellent book!

When it first came out and after I read it, I purchased more books to give away. Everyone was fascinated by it too. It's eye-opening for sure.

I've finished it now, and have to say I liked the first half better than the last half because in the later chapters he gets into demon possession and I have reservations about some of what he said.

Also, his psychoanalytical approach to psychology was by definition Freudian and much of Freud's theories that Peck refers to have been discarded/discounted by psychologists today and a couple things he said in reference to the Oedipus complex and also his therapy methods, what he did or would do, were disturbing. It was at that chapter that I started pulling back.

Also, and this may not seem like much, he said in the preface of the book that he used a neuter pronoun for Satan. Oddly, he also used a neuter pronoun for children:

"Treated badly by its parents, a child will usually assume that it is bad."

Overall, I have very mixed thoughts.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Rain of Gold
By
Victor Villasenor

About the Mexican civil war and the refugee migration into America and specifically the Southern California cities of Santa Ana and Temecula

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem

pow wow

I just finished Heresy Ten Lies They Spread About Christianity by Michael Coren.

On to a book on the history of Europe and another on the history of Christianity. They will take me some time.

Buzzword

Just finished The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Started The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, with A Confederacy of Dunces waiting in the wings.

Jukia

Gulp--Mary Roach---a trip through the alimentary canal
The Human Shore--John R. Gillis---about the relationship between people and the coast.
Catch 22--Joseph Heller---one of my favorites, I always seem to be in the process of rereading it. Always seems to be next to the white throne in the library!!!

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
I just finished re-reading Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray, and I'm reading a Thomas Paine "Age of Reason" to my girlfriend for one of her classes.

I'm 15% through Hitchen's memoir and I'm trying to get 25% into Encyclopaedia Britannica but very little of it is being retained.

I also read "A Neurosurgeon's Proof of Heaven" and found myself slapping myself in the face at least six times per chapter at the sheer stupidity of it. A whole book based on the appeal to authority fallacy, a complete disaster.

I tried reading an "Adult" work by a woman named Elle Kennedy, I haven't really tried the genre besides 50 shades of grey, which I couldn't bear to read - shockingly embarrassing and uninteresting and I found myself experiencing exactly the same thing with this.

All sex based writing feels terribly out of context, you just don't care at all for the characters... if it's a character you actually cared about maybe it'd be more successful but then you'd rather have the real story than some adult sideshow. In a sentence: adult genre is a waste of time.

Next I'm going to either read Huckleberry Finn or Thomas Jefferson's biography.

Buzzword

All sex based writing feels terribly out of context, you just don't care at all for the characters... if it's a character you actually cared about maybe it'd be more successful but then you'd rather have the real story than some adult sideshow. In a sentence: adult genre is a waste of time.

Pretty much.

Most of it seems to focus only on the "lonely middle-aged female" demographic, and doesn't devote any time to an actual story or characterization.

It makes the difference between "story with a sex scene" and "string of sex scenes with a story stretched over the framework" so much more apparent, and just comes across as lazy writing.

Of course, the authors are probably fairly sure their main reader base doesn't care.

Breathe

Pretty much.

Most of it seems to focus only on the "lonely middle-aged female" demographic, and doesn't devote any time to an actual story or characterization.

It makes the difference between "story with a sex scene" and "string of sex scenes with a story stretched over the framework" so much more apparent, and just comes across as lazy writing.

Of course, the authors are probably fairly sure their main reader base doesn't care.

Yep. For the same reason, I am not into "romance novels". I want a book to challenge me - but there is nothing challenging about a sad would be opus directed towards the cliche image of a lonely middle aged woman. I find them to be an insult to my intellect.

Status
Not open for further replies.