Why are the wages of sin death?

Lucian Hodoboc

The Bible mentions that the wages of sin are constituted by death, but does it explain why God decided it to be like that? Was it even His decision or was it a natural / intrinsic consequence of the fact that God is the source of life and sin is the opposite of God, therefore leading to death? Is the fact that the wages of sin are constituted by death something that God has control over, and would it be possible for the wages of sin to be something else if God willed it?

TrevorL

Greetings Lucian Hodoboc,
The Bible mentions that the wages of sin are constituted by death, but does it explain why God decided it to be like that? Was it even His decision or was it a natural / intrinsic consequence of the fact that God is the source of life and sin is the opposite of God, therefore leading to death? Is the fact that the wages of sin are constituted by death something that God has control over, and would it be possible for the wages of sin to be something else if God willed it?
I am not sure what you are suggesting by adding the word “constituted” as the verse says:
Romans 6:23 (KJV): For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The result of Adam sinning is that he was sentenced to die, to return to the dust.
Genesis 3:17–19 (KJV): 17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Kind regards
Trevor

Truster

What an utterly stupid question.

Lucian Hodoboc

Greetings Lucian Hodoboc, I am not sure what you are suggesting by adding the word “constituted” as the verse says:

I was just trying to keep it grammatically correct. The noun “Wages” was often treated as singular in the past. The Oxford English Dictionary has published references from the late 1300s to the 1700s of the plural noun construed as singular. That is no longer the case, so I replaced the verb with a verbal phrase that is more adequate to the singular noun.

You have not answered my question. Why is death the punishment for sin (Adam's disobedience)? Is "because God wanted so" the answer?

TrevorL

Greetings again Lucian Hodoboc,
You have not answered my question. Why is death the punishment for sin (Adam's disobedience)? Is "because God wanted so" the answer?
I would suggest that the sentence reflects God's wisdom and justice. God's ultimate purpose with this earth was not thwarted by the introduction of sin and death, as he raised up another Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ to be Ruler, Shepherd, Saviour and the means whereby resurrection to life for the faithful would be accomplished, that is the gift of eternal life Romans 6:23.

Kind regards
Trevor

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
The Bible mentions that the wages of sin are constituted by death, but does it explain why God decided it to be like that? Was it even His decision or was it a natural / intrinsic consequence of the fact that God is the source of life and sin is the opposite of God, therefore leading to death?
Something like this last thing that you wrote.
Is the fact that the wages of sin are constituted by death something that God has control over, and would it be possible for the wages of sin to be something else if God willed it?
I don't think so, no. I think that the resulting penalties for sin, both temporal and eternal, are inherent to sin. God doesn't punish us for our sin, we punish ourselves by sinning. We reap what we sow, unless and only unless, someone /Someone interferes, and forgives us our trespasses.

Dartman

Generally, each of us views some sinful behavior as worse than other sinful behavior. God views ALL sinful behavior as unworthy of life.
It is by God's GREAT grace and mercy that I am still alive, with the ability to choose to repent of all my sins, ask for forgiveness, and go on to obedience.
When we sin, we EARN death. ALL life is a gift. It is IMPOSSIBLE to "earn" eternal life!

oatmeal

God gives life, sin is the rejection of not only of the life that God gave, but God himself.

You reject God, you reject life and the source of it.

That is why sin is always self destructive.