Why do we get sick?

Melody

Re: Why do we get sick?

Originally posted by Tatie

Is illness from the Devil, or can God make you sick?

Because of the fall.

Sometimes it is because of our own neglect of our bodies. We all know that we need Proper nutrition, rest, exercise etc....

beanieboy

I believe that illness is a blessing.

It is usually a sign that you aren't taking care of yourself.
If you are feeling lathargic, it is usually because your body isn't getting enough exercise, you aren't getting enough rest and sleep, or you are eating badly.

The body has it's own language. If you listen to it, it will tell you what you need to do.

Hopefully, when you get a cold, you will learn not to overextend yourself.

As for terminal illnesses, I think they simply happen.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
We are all bound in various ways with corruption, weakness, and humility...

It is no ones FAULT. God has PURPOSES in ALL THINGS.

It is right that those who are to inherit ETERNITY taste the things above.

1 Cor. 15, entire chapter.

An expression I once heard that is not too funny but kinda true...

Good health is just the slowest possible form of death...

go figure...

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Many preach illness is spiritually based caused by demons due to sin.

John 9:1-3
Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. 2And His disciples asked Him, saying, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
3Jesus answered, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him."

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Sin is OF THE DEVIL

ALL have sin

All have sinned

Sin is NOT PEOPLE nor is it OF PEOPLE, but OF THE DEVIL.

The place of occupancy of sin is the flesh of mankind. These "things" cannot be SEEN, yet Jesus talked to them and cast them out of people continually...

Yet all these peoples BODIES STILL DIED.

Our "hope" is for the Body that is NOT THEIR SUBJECTS. At this point we, like Paul, in our flesh serve the LAW OF SIN.

Our minds are quite another subject....

There is an interesting post on the subject of WHY MANkind cannot sin here in this forum:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11376

Tatie

Originally posted by Poly

Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. 2And His disciples asked Him, saying, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
3Jesus answered, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him."

This is the only verse that says that sickness is to glorify God when Jesus healed him. So I guess people get sick so they can healed so God can be glorified? And are all that way?

Exo 15:26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken, to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none, of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

2Ch 21:18 And after all this the LORD smote him in his bowels with an incurable disease.

Last edited:

Ya'nar#1

This is the only verse that says that sickness is to glorify God when Jesus healed him. So I guess people get sick so they can healed so God can be glorified? And are all that way?

Exo 15:26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken, to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none, of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

2Ch 21:18 And after all this the LORD smote him in his bowels with an incurable disease.

Dear Tatie,

Disease is a direct result of the malignancy of sin that is in the world. And sin is a result of disobedience, which was (and is) inspired by Satan.

God is not responsible for disease--even though some Bible texts read as though God "causes" disease. To say God causes disease is to say that God is responsible for promoting sin and death in the world.

He isn't.

What these texts are intending to say is this: God is not only our Creator, He is also our Protector and Sustainer. When He withdraws His protecting hand from us, because we have turned out backs on Him by living out of harmony with His will, then we become subject to the power of the devil, who will surely come in to harm us. And if the devil is not directly responsible, then simply the condition of sin in the earth is enough--without God's protection--to bring about disease. To cause immune systems to break down; to trigger receptor sites on our DNA, that in turn promote the growth of cancer cells.

Tatie, God is NOT responsible for your disease. It is true, that when we live in harmony with God's will in this world, that disease finds it more difficult to take root in us.

Jesus said to the man who had an infirmity 38 years who He had healed,

JOHN 5:14
"Behold, thou art made whole: SIN NO MORE, lest a worse thing come unto thee."

Disease is a result of sin in the world, and sometimes it is even a result of our own personal sin of not living a healthy life, in harmony with God's will. But God doesn't bring disease. As Jesus showed in His ministry, God brings HEALING.

We should be very careful not to attribute to God those things Satan are responsible for, simply because the Bible writers and interpreters chose their words poorly.

And how have you been feeling lately?

May God Bless!

--Ya'nar :princess:

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Yanar your premise is absurd.

God Himself CONTROLS ALL THINGS. ALL THINGS serve Him. He is GLORIFIED in ALL THINGS because the end result is GREATER than anything we can in our current state imagine and HE IS ABLE AND GREATER to WIPE AWAY every tear from EVERY face.

Cyrus of Persia

As we can see we cannot have unified picture about it from the Bible. While in some passages we can see that God is sending disease, from some others we can find that it's actually devil. So finally it's up to each other, and certain church how they believe about the matter.

Still we can pray for being healed. And even if we die being sick, we are still uncapable to see maybe it served some higher purpose. Or maybe not. But in the light of eternal life Eartly life is nothing anyway.

billwald

Jesus only healed people when the event would make an interesting object lesson for the Bible?

Jesus could have healed everyone in the world, but he didn't.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Too many "believers" think that this temporal life is ALL ABOUT US.

Jesus called this a WICKED and EVIL generation.

He and other writers speak of TRIALS and JUDGMENTS/VERDICTS and SENTENCES. There is A SUPREME JUDGE to reside over ALL of these matters.

There is much more going on in THIS TEMPORAL LIFE than what meets the casual eye.

Colossians 2
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Who are these POWERS AND PRINCIPALITIES???

Ephesians 3
9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Colossians 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

So DO I KNOW how God will use THESE THINGS to PROVE HIS GLORY???

No I do not. It has only borne in me HOPE. If I could SEE that for which I HOPE FOR, then HOPE goes away. It is no longer any use.

But we know that what is to come for US ALL has not yet entered into our imaginations, and this is a GOOD thing.

Jesus Christ has LED CAPTIVITY (us) captive. He has TRIUMPHED OVER "them."

The time of revealing of what this IS has not yet come. The trial of this wicked and evil age continues until SIN BECOMES UTTERLY SINFUL. This is what SICKNESS is of. Sin's working in men, but it IS NOT MEN who do this work nor are MEN the reason for this happening to ANYONE.

God has PURPOSES in ALL THINGS and in the final analysis HE OVERCOMES by His Abounding Glory for US ALL.

Job 14:14
If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

1 Samuel 2:6
The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

Matthew 24:9
Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

The ALL NATIONS that YOU are hated by are THE INVISIBLE NATIONS of SATAN and his messengers THAT CANNOT BE SEEN.

They detest ALL MEN because MEN have GOD'S GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE. They DO NOT.

These verses have always fascinated me because on the surface they do NOT MAKE SENSE:

Luke 21
16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
18 But there shall not an hair of your head perish.

How is it that one could be PUT TO DEATH yet not a HAIR ON YOUR HEAD PERISH???

ALL MEN RISE to their FATHER!

enjoy!

smaller

servent101

Taitie

People and the attitude they have is a major factor in the illnesses that we come in contact with - the immune system and it's ability to fight off disease is directly related with the attitudes that we carry around with us.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Ecumenicist

ITs from the Devil.

There's a Spiritual dimension to everything.

That which creates, builds up, loves, grows, is of God.

That which breaks down, hurts, kills, harms, is of Satan.

God doesn't make people sick, but God does allow it
to happen as part of the whole free will thing, which applies
not only to humanity but to the entire universe.

Hence, the devil is doing God's Will, which especially
frustrates him...
:devil:

Dave

Freak

Originally posted by Poly

Please balance that with this:

On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, "Woman, you are set free from your infirmity." Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.

Sometimes demons do bring afflictions to ones body...refer to Luke 13.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

I am sick of Liberals, so I guess illness comes from the Devil. :freak:

Tatie

Originally posted by Freak

Please balance that with this:

On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, "Woman, you are set free from your infirmity." Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.

Sometimes demons do bring afflictions to ones body...refer to Luke 13.

Yes, this is very important. Jesus and the apostles casted out demons and healed the sick, now no one believes in demons causing ilnesses. Maybe that's why we don't get healed.