Your Mount Rushmores (Sports, Music, Politics, etc.)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Every now and then we've taken cracks at the Mount Rushmore of one sport of the other and it's usually good fun, but I thought it might give the thread more legs if I opened it up a bit.

I'm starting with baseball. Feel free to just list your picks and category, or to talk about why you made your picks. I think we need a few amiable threads where we can mull things without it turning into debate, though if anyone wants to defend their picks or differ, genially, I don't see the harm.

MLB Mt. Rushmore:

Babe Ruth: the original still chased decades after his bat went silent.
Cy Young: 100 wins out in front of the runner up for best pitcher of all time.
Ted Williams: the last man to hit .400 and one of the canniest hitters of any era. Won his last batting title at 39 years of age.
Willie Mays: in my opinion, the greatest baseball player of all time. Amazing fielder with a live arm and a deadly bat.

Hon. Men. : Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, DiMaggio, Robinson.

You could really break this down into hitters and pitchers, and I might at some point.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Songs - I have tons of favorites, but tonight it's these four

Zebra - Tell Me What You Want
Aphrodite's Child - The Four Horseman
Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
Don McLean - American Pie

Listen to Aphrodite's Child, I think it was recorded in 69, amazing sound

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Songs - I have tons of favorites, but tonight it's these four

Zebra - Tell Me What You Want
Aphrodite's Child - The Four Horseman
Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
Don McLean - American Pie

Listen to Aphrodite's Child, I think it was recorded in 69, amazing sound
You picked my favorite Simon song. There's a lot you can do with music, Mt. Rushmore of Albums, artists, bands, etc.

McLean's best, for me, is still Vincent. :guitar:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Every now and then we've taken cracks at the Mount Rushmore of one sport of the other and it's usually good fun, but I thought it might give the thread more legs if I opened it up a bit.

I'm starting with baseball. Feel free to just list your picks and category, or to talk about why you made your picks. I think we need a few amiable threads where we can mull things without it turning into debate, though if anyone wants to defend their picks or differ, genially, I don't see the harm.

MLB Mt. Rushmore:

Babe Ruth: the original still chased decades after his bat went silent.
Cy Young: 100 wins out in front of the runner up for best pitcher of all time.
Ted Williams: the last man to hit .400 and one of the canniest hitters of any era. Won his last batting title at 39 years of age.
Willie Mays: in my opinion, the greatest baseball player of all time. Amazing fielder with a live arm and a deadly bat.

Hon. Men. : Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, DiMaggio, Robinson.

You could really break this down into hitters and pitchers, and I might at some point.
I can't argue with those four. The Babe was a great pitcher before his batting prowess. Cobb has the all time career high batting average. Ted and Willy are just the best you could be

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Okay, I'll keep chugging along then.

Mt. Rushmore of the NBA (I'll be going to five for position):

PG: Magic, though I also consider him the greatest NBA player I've ever seen, capable of playing all but the center position at an all-star level (and no slouch at center in a pinch).

SG: Jordan, an offensive/defensive wunderkind with a drive that was equaled but never bettered.

SF: Bird, not the most althletically gifted (LeBron is the best of that group) but an unbelievable shooter with a PG's hands and a SG's eye. Made others better like few before or after him.

PF: Duncan, the Big Fundamental wasn't exciting to watch, but at this position he'd be hard to better. The modern game's Bill Russel.

Center: Jabbar, because in the toughest field to decide he was the best all around great.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bird is a better scorer (he didn't score 40 every night because he didn't have to), shooter, and rebounder that James. Or Jordan for that matter. I don't hate Larry Bird like I used to hate him. This VHS copy is about the best piece there is on him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Bird is a better scorer (he didn't score 40 every night because he didn't have to), shooter, and rebounder that James. Or Jordan for that matter. I don't hate Larry Bird like I used to hate him. This VHS copy is about the best piece there is on him.
The Celtics have always been my team. I think the greatness of Bird is found in his managing to guide teams over a Lakers team that I think was the best ever. The talent they had on hand for a stretch is mind boggling.

Who'd be your starter at each position? I had to really think about the center position. Olajuwon was hard on Jabbar's heels with me. And it was hard to give up on Barkley for Duncan, but I like Duncan's intangibles better than Barkley's better numbers.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Rodger Clemens

Mickey Mantle

old timers: Ty Cobb and Ruth

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Baseball is the big 3, if you throw in Cy Young, that works. Ruth, Williams, Mays, and Young.

Basketball needs to be 5, and I think the NBA team and college team need to be different. A college team could do first and second team and not have Jordan. Jordan could have scored more than 20 a game....at Houston. But he didn't.

NBA.

Jabbar, Bird, Johnson, Jordan, Robertson....this is why the NBA did their 50 best, because too many are too close.

NCAA

Manning, Alcindor, Ewing, Johnson, Laettner. Laetnner you say? 4 straight final fours, directly from him.3 straight title games, back to back championships, from him. Danny Manning and Christian Laettner as forward/wing, Ewing and Alcindor in the post, and Johnson where ever you want him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Baseball is the big 3, if you throw in Cy Young, that works. Ruth, Williams, Mays, and Young.
We're in agreement there.

Basketball needs to be 5
Agreed as well.

NBA.

Jabbar, Bird, Johnson, Jordan, Robertson....this is why the NBA did their 50 best, because too many are too close.
Then you threw me. I thought 5 to argue at each position. But you have two point guards on your roster with Magic and O...so you're going PF free? Or are you playing Magic out of position because of his size and ability to match up?

NCAA

Manning, Alcindor, Ewing, Johnson, Laettner. Laetnner you say? 4 straight final fours, directly from him.3 straight title games, back to back championships, from him. Danny Manning and Christian Laettner as forward/wing, Ewing and Alcindor in the post, and Johnson where ever you want him.
Good team. I'd take Jabbar at center, Maravich at shooting guard, Magic at point, Bird at small forward, and I'd move Bill Russell to play power forward. He was money. They literally changed the lane because of him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My Mt. Rushmore of Comedy:

George Carlin: the Jabbar of comedy, golden for a very long time. A dry, hard look at the society and as likely to gore any ox.

Richard Pyror: in his heyday, no one was funnier. I'm still laughing over the bit he did about the German shepherds and the dead monkey.

John Cleese: it doesn't get any more absurd or insightful than John. The best part of Python and humor across the pond.

Groucho: got the smart end of things rolling. Much of his work is still on point and wickedly funny generations after the fact.

Hon. Men.: too many.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My Mt. Rushmore of Comedy:

George Carlin: the Jabbar of comedy, golden for a very long time. A dry, hard look at the society and as likely to gore any ox.

Richard Pyror: in his heyday, no one was funnier. I'm still laughing over the bit he did about the German shepherds and the dead monkey.

John Cleese: it doesn't get any more absurd or insightful than John. The best part of Python and humor across the pond.

Groucho: got the smart end of things rolling. Much of his work is still on point and wickedly funny generations after the fact.

Hon. Men.: too many.

I would keep George Carlin and add John Oliver, Bill Maher, and Seth Myers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame