That's incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial, impassible, impeccable, and immutable! - Oct 23 2023

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial, impassible, impeccable, and immutable!
* Jesus: Fully God and fully man so fully free! Was Jesus able to sin? Of course. Otherwise, He could not be fully man, and He could not be tempted, and His righteousness would not be praiseworthy, and He could not love, because love must be freely given. But He became fully man, and He was tempted, and He is praiseworthy, and He does love. So, the answer is, yes. Bob continues broadcasting the cross examination of Will Duffy during the recent debate Is Open Theism Biblical, and notes that when a Calvinist challenges open theist testimony from Scripture by asking if it would contradict God being "impassible, impeccable, and immutable", one could hear district attorney Hamilton Burger objecting as he did in a 1960s courtroom drama, that this line of questioning was "incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial." For not the "living God" but a stone idol is impassible, impeccable, and immutable. Also, consider that folks have a difficulty discerning between time and the measurement of time. So too many have difficulty comprehending the difference bewteen the future as a concept and a moment in the future. The concept of the future doesn't change but what may or may not happen in any particular moment in the future is open. So too with truth. The concept of truth doesn't change, whereas whether a particular statement is true or false (like, "breakfast is served") of course can change. Open theists though frequently encounter these kinds of easily avoided misconceptions.

* Incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial; impassible, impeccable, and immutable: When a Calvinist challenges open theist testimony from Scripture by asking if it would contradict God being "impassible, impeccable, and immutable", one could hear district attorney Hamilton Burger objecting as he did in a 1960s courtroom drama, that this line of questioning was "incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial." For not the "living God" but a stone idol is impassible, impeccable, and immutable.

* Clarifying Terms Future & Truth: Just as folks have a difficulty discerning between time and the measurement of time, so too many have difficulty comprehending the difference bewteen the future as a concept and a moment in the future. The concept of the future doesn't change but what may or may not happen in any particular moment in the future is open. So too with truth. The concept of truth doesn't change, whereas whether a particular statement is true or false (like, "breakfast is served") of course can change. Open theists though frequently encounter these kinds of easily avoided misconceptions.

Today's Resource: Open Theism Seminar

Open theism seminar with Bob Enyart on three DVDs!

(Filmed in Indianapolis) Another fantastic BEL seminar, this time, on the topic of Open Theism, answering the question, is the future settled or open? The Open View teaches that God can change the future. He interacts with the flow of history and changes the outcome of the future as it unfolds by His decisions and actions.

* Recovering the Personal God: A BEL goal over the last 28 years has been to recover the personal God. Personhood is not only the right to life of every unborn child because those kids are made in God's likeness, but primarily and through eternity past, God Himself is a personal God, the one God existing in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Yet classical theology has turned God into more of a quantitative mathematical equation. We broadcast in part to correct all that!

Lon

That's incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial, impassible, impeccable, and immutable!
* Jesus: Fully God and fully man so fully free! Was Jesus able to sin? Of course. Otherwise, He could not be fully man, and He could not be tempted, and His righteousness would not be praiseworthy,
Yes until the last line. God the Father isn't tempted yet IS praiseworthy so the equivocation needs work. It is a platitude that isn't true demonstrably.

and He could not love,
The Father cannot love? Spirit? This second conclusion also needs a rethink.
because love must be freely given.
Wholly disagree. I know of no scripture that says love is constrained in such a manner. At present, this is an argument from freewill theists that I've never seen but a desire to be so with no inkling of scriptural expiation.
But He became fully man, and He was tempted, and He is praiseworthy, and He does love. So, the answer is, yes. Bob continues broadcasting the cross examination of Will Duffy during the recent debate Is Open Theism Biblical, and notes that when a Calvinist challenges open theist testimony from Scripture by asking if it would contradict God being "impassible, impeccable, and immutable", one could hear district attorney Hamilton Burger objecting as he did in a 1960s courtroom drama, that this line of questioning was "incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial." For not the "living God" but a stone idol is impassible, impeccable, and immutable. Also, consider that folks have a difficulty discerning between time and the measurement of time. So too many have difficulty comprehending the difference bewteen the future as a concept and a moment in the future. The concept of the future doesn't change but what may or may not happen in any particular moment in the future is open.
Not a confusion, a disagreement.

So too with truth. The concept of truth doesn't change,
The 'concept' of truth certainly changes. Truth itself is true, but that doesn't mean it doesn't change either. Example: "Atlantis is an island" was true, isn't now. Only an infinite God can tell us what is unchanging but 'unchanging' and 'true' are not synonymous and it needs careful definition and correction here.

whereas whether a particular statement is true or false (like, "breakfast is served") of course can change. Open theists though frequently encounter these kinds of easily avoided misconceptions.
Such that both the concept (apprehension) and actual can be different tomorrow.
* Incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial; impassible, impeccable, and immutable: When a Calvinist challenges open theist testimony from Scripture by asking if it would contradict God being "impassible, impeccable, and immutable", one could hear district attorney Hamilton Burger objecting as he did in a 1960s courtroom drama, that this line of questioning was "incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial." For not the "living God" but a stone idol is impassible, impeccable, and immutable.
A stone withers along with grass, only God remains the same yesterday, today, and forever. Divine immutability isn't really assailed by even Open Theists, just attempted qualifications on terms. An Open Theist will tell me to my face that we can bank on God's promises. He/she is just inconsistent at what they understand about immutability and often opt for different omni terms: All Loving, Omnicompetent, etc. Logically, if any one Omni at all, then all Omnis. The best way for me to explain the difference in comprehension: One sees God co-existent with creation and the other sees all creation existent within the being of God ala Colossians 1:16-18. John 15:16 and Philippians 1 clearly state that we move and have our being 'in' Him. Thus we reason through the limitation of being 'inside' of creation rather than apprehending a God who is apart from it. This is really the gist of the debate, whether God is 'in' or 'apart from' His creation (or the third, both which is the stance of most of Christianity).
* Clarifying Terms Future & Truth: Just as folks have a difficulty discerning between time and the measurement of time, so too many have difficulty comprehending the difference bewteen the future as a concept and a moment in the future. The concept of the future doesn't change but what may or may not happen in any particular moment in the future is open.
If you are 'in' creation, true. God is relational to us and thus our time, but completely unconstrained by His creation (again a 'both' answer).
So too with truth. The concept of truth doesn't change, whereas whether a particular statement is true or false (like, "breakfast is served") of course can change. Open theists though frequently encounter these kinds of easily avoided misconceptions.

Today's Resource: Open Theism Seminar

Open theism seminar with Bob Enyart on three DVDs!

(Filmed in Indianapolis) Another fantastic BEL seminar, this time, on the topic of Open Theism, answering the question, is the future settled or open? The Open View teaches that God can change the future.
Awkward to assert. We are finite beings. John the Apostle interacted with a future and it in particular cannot change for one simple fact: God gave it as a truth with a curse upon ANYONE who would change an iota of it. It means specifically at least in this instance, Enyart isn't correct (he knows this now btw, thank the Lord).

He interacts with the flow of history and changes the outcome of the future as it unfolds by His decisions and actions.
An assertion, hypothesis at this venture that I haven't found true.
* Recovering the Personal God: A BEL goal over the last 28 years has been to recover the personal God. Personhood is not only the right to life of every unborn child because those kids are made in God's likeness, but primarily and through eternity past, God Himself is a personal God, the one God existing in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Yet classical theology has turned God into more of a quantitative mathematical equation. We broadcast in part to correct all that!
Er, ever the paradigm of me-centered theology. I don't care if God is 'personal' for me. I care if He is God and then what I have to do to get to His perfection (immutability definition btw). I take small comfort in a God who can meet me where I am at but isn't perfect. I take huge comfort in the fact that He can take me from here in this mess to an immutable inheritance. The Omnis bring me comfort because in a whishy washy me-centered world of moral chaos and unreliability, there is a God who isn't going to be found 'surprised' as several Open Theist authors have quipped. There is a God who isn't 'incapable' but is all-mighty just as scripture says He is, and can hold me in His righteous right hand. There is a God that knows exactly where I am and what I need and how many hairs are on my head at all times, instead of one that has no idea where I am, and must seek out answers to my whereabouts and doings. In short, I don't want my theology to be about me, I want it to be about Him. Constancy is not a curse, it is a blessing of perfection and reliability.

Counter argument from Open Theism: Your God cannot move! A) He IS where you'd move to already Your God cannot Love! A) I can move into His love, it is already there. Your God has to watch atrocity! A) God found me in the midst of an atrocity. "I AM" is both a constancy AND all that I'll ever need Him to be before I even get there. Several Omnis are found verbatim in Scripture Almighty, for instance means Omnipotent. It is the exact word, therefore "so!" No person is even capable of arguing that. It cannot be done.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I know of no scripture that says love is constrained in such a manner.

Scripture in a moment, but first, a demonstration:

A man takes a woman and brings her to his house, locks all the doors and boards up all the windows, and tells her to love him. Can she do so? Or will any "love" that is shown actually be love, and not just an imitation on her part, and/or a matter of Stockholm syndrome?

A man takes a woman, and brings her to his house, and tries to get to know her, letting her know she is free to leave at any time, but he woos her, and asks her to love him. Can she do so?

Which man is healthy, mentally? Which is mentally ill?

At present, this is an argument from freewill theists that I've never seen but a desire to be so with no inkling of scriptural expiation.

From the very first chapter in the Bible, to the very last, the Bible is a testament to God wanting His creation to love Him freely.

To give you a specific example, Genesis 1-3 (yes, all three chapters) shows God giving Adam and Eve a choice to freely choose Him, without hiding the way out. He put the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil right in the middle of the garden, so that it could never be said that God tried to conceal the exit. He gave the two a way out of His perfect paradise that He created for them in order to fellowship with each other and with Him.

And another example is God's call to the world, that they should repent and love Him, so that they might be saved from their sin. He will not force them to love Him, and in fact, those who refuse even to the point if death to turn to Him, He will honor their decision, and will, on Judgement Day, separate them from Himself, so that they get what they want, never to be in His presence again. Even writing this I can't think of a more tragic decision one could make! It hurts my very soul!

But God is not a sadist. He will not force people who hate Him to live with Him for eternity.

You ask, "What Scripture says that love must be freely given?" when in fact the entirety of Scripture screams that it must be so, because it is a self evident truth! Love must be freely given, or it is not love, by definition.

Lon

Scripture in a moment, but first, a demonstration:

A man takes a woman and brings her to his house, locks all the doors and boards up all the windows, and tells her to love him. Can she do so? Or will any "love" that is shown actually be love, and not just an imitation on her part, and/or a matter of Stockholm syndrome?

A man takes a woman, and brings her to his house, and tries to get to know her, letting her know she is free to leave at any time, but he woos her, and asks her to love him. Can she do so?

Which man is healthy, mentally? Which is mentally ill?
Before or after sin? You'd say it doesn't matter but I'd disagree. Next, you are describing love as if it were not connected to action. I don't reckon love that way, I reckon that if I went into a house, all and every need was taken care of from that moment, I'd know I was loved. It doesn't mean love isn't relational, it simply means it is love regardless of choosing at that point.
From the very first chapter in the Bible, to the very last, the Bible is a testament to God wanting His creation to love Him freely.
Disagree. They loved Him in the Garden. The moment sin entered, the choice was 'created.' That's not love, that's the curse.
To give you a specific example, Genesis 1-3 (yes, all three chapters) shows God giving Adam and Eve a choice to freely choose Him, without hiding the way out. He put the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil right in the middle of the garden, so that it could never be said that God tried to conceal the exit. He gave the two a way out of His perfect paradise that He created for them in order to fellowship with each other and with Him.
Disagree, they were told point-blank not to do so. Sin is the 'option to do otherwise.' God COULDN'T have wanted that for man, and certainly it cannot be seen as love. The scenario would go: "I don't want you to eat of this, but in order for you to really love me, like you do not now, you have to be able to choose what is wicked and evil or your love is a sham." If I'm reading you wrong, please correct the implication. I wholly do not believe a choice to do otherwise has anything at all to do with love, just the opposite. I believe emphatically Adam and Eve were created perfect and their ability to reflect love was perfect as long as they 'Didn't' choose to disobey. I believe scripturally their created nature could not choose otherwise without the serpent. I believe without the serpent, they would have lived with God in perfect love 'without a desire, hence no choice to do otherwise.' My contention then is that choice has not a whit to do with love. Love is not a 'choice' it is an action. God doesn't 'choose' to love us. He IS love and He just does. His love is incredible and without any need of the backdrop of sin for it to be love. Again, explain please where you differ.
And another example is God's call to the world, that they should repent and love Him, so that they might be saved from their sin. He will not force them to love Him, and in fact, those who refuse even to the point if death to turn to Him, He will honor their decision, and will, on Judgement Day, separate them from Himself, so that they get what they want, never to be in His presence again. Even writing this I can't think of a more tragic decision one could make! It hurts my very soul!
In this instance, it is a redress of our sin condition and it is precisely because we are separated from Him in sin that such is needed: No sin/no appeal needed. We are in this predicament because of sin. God can do many things to 'love,' one is to address us 'in' our sin condition but reckoning with sin isn't necessary for love to be love, it just is and better understood in sin's absence.
But God is not a sadist. He will not force people who hate Him to live with Him for eternity.
This needs some unpacking because it asserts a lot of things. He 'can' force something that is good for people. You've done it with your children haven't you? Maybe it was just a bite of spinach? You were NOT a 'sadist' for it unless you took pleasure in their torture. My estimation of you is that you are a good father and that it was for their good and not harm. God doesn't force salvation but uses He resources in His own good counsel to reach, seeking and saving the lost and is able to save to the uttermost those perishing, thus He causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust until the day of harvest.
You ask, "What Scripture says that love must be freely given?" when in fact the entirety of Scripture screams that it must be so, because it is a self evident truth! Love must be freely given, or it is not love, by definition.
Self evident to you and even people both sides of the Open debate (from other freewill theists so you are not alone). As I've read through Genesis 1-3, they have always been told not 'you have a choice to make' but rather 'stay away from it!' Its a reasonable request. When I tell my kids to 'stay away from the hot stove' it has nothing to do with 'choice' or their supposed 'need to test boundaries in order to understand love.' Love IS the action of saying no and 'if' they obeyed they would understand and appreciate my love very much without having to have the scar for the rest of their lives. The scar can certainly be used to 'work for good' those I love as reminders of that love, but it is completely unnecessary for them to grasp I love them. They could have rather seen and understood quite readily that my prohibition was for their good and realized I loved them without the ability or desire to do otherwise. I believe implicitly that your kids would see you as a loving father simply for telling them 'the stove is hot, don't touch!' No sounding board or choice to do the bad thing is/was needed. In fact, it'd take an incredibly callous person to come behind you and me and say "you will surely NOT be burned! You'll know heat like your dad and I!" That's not love either of course, but let's not call the 'ability to not listen to my loving dad's directive' a necessity for love or 'better' context for understanding my love? -Lon

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Before or after sin? You'd say it doesn't matter but I'd disagree.

It doesn't matter. One is kidnapping, the other is a proper relationship.

So what if you disagree? No one cares. Make an argument.

Next, you are describing love as if it were not connected to action.

No, I'm not.

I don't reckon love that way, I reckon that if I went into a house, all and every need was taken care of from that moment, I'd know I was loved. It doesn't mean love isn't relational, it simply means it is love regardless of choosing at that point.

I'm not talking about being loved.

I'm talking about loving.

If you went into a house, and you had no way to leave, no matter if all your needs were taken care of, you'd be a prisoner, incapable of truly loving the one who imprisoned you, because it could be argued that any love that you show isn't actually love, but is a result of stockholm syndrome.

Again, my questions were: "Can the woman truly love the man?" in either situation, and "Which man is healthy/mentally ill?"

The woman who was locked up cannot. That man is mentally ill.

The woman who was free to leave at any point, can either leave, or she can come to love the man. That man is healthy.

Disagree.

No one cares. Make an argument.

They loved Him in the Garden.

Only because they had the ability to leave an any point in time, via the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

That tree was "the way out."

The moment sin entered, the choice was 'created.' That's not love, that's the curse.

The choice was there from the moment God told Adam "do not eat from the tree."

Disagree,

There's nothing to disagree with. That's LITERALLY what the Bible says.

they were told point-blank not to do so.

Yes, that's my position. They were told not to because REJECTING GOD IS THE WAY TO DEATH!!!

Sin is the 'option to do otherwise.'

Duh!

God COULDN'T have wanted that for man,

Of course He didn't want that for man!

and certainly it cannot be seen as love.

Love is the commitment to the good of someone.

It is NOT loving to lock someone up and prevent them from ever leaving, no matter your reasons for it!

EVEN IF IT'S GOD DOING IT!

Giving Adam and Eve a way out of His presence is loving, even if taking that exit will harm them.

The scenario would go: "I don't want you to eat of this, but in order for you to really love me, like you do not now, you have to be able to choose what is wicked and evil or your love is a sham." If I'm reading you wrong, please correct the implication.

Correction:

God: "I love you, you are my creation. I want you to love me back. In order for it to be possible for you to freely love me in return, you must be able to hate me. Therefore, I will give you a way out, a way for you to be able to hate me. I will place a tree in the midst of the garden. You MUST NOT EAT OF IT, or else you will die. I have set before you life and death, therefore choose life, that you may live."

I wholly do not believe a choice to do otherwise has anything at all to do with love, just the opposite.

So you think that a woman who is locked up, and who is not free to leave the house a man takes her to, is able to love him?

I believe emphatically Adam and Eve were created perfect and their ability to reflect love was perfect as long as they 'Didn't' choose to disobey.

You're literally describing one half of my position.

THE REASON they could choose to NOT disobey is because they had the ability, the option, to disobey to begin with.

I believe scripturally their created nature could not choose otherwise without the serpent. I believe without the serpent, they would have lived with God in perfect love 'without a desire, hence no choice to do otherwise.'

Stating "I believe X" means nothing here.

Make an argument.

My contention then is that choice has not a whit to do with love. Love is not a 'choice' it is an action.

So one cannot choose to love?

God doesn't 'choose' to love us.

Because you say so? God MUST love us?

He IS love and He just does.

Can He do otherwise?

His love is incredible and without any need of the backdrop of sin for it to be love. Again, explain please where you differ. In this instance, it is a redress of our sin condition and it is precisely because we are separated from Him in sin that such is needed: No sin/no appeal needed. We are in this predicament because of sin.

Is God in the position that He must love us? Because of sin?

God can do many things to 'love,' one is to address us 'in' our sin condition but reckoning with sin isn't necessary for love to be love, it just is and better understood in sin's absence.

Can He not love us?

This needs some unpacking because it asserts a lot of things. He 'can' force something that is good for people.

This is my position.

God demanded that Adam and Eve not partake of the Tree, but He didn't remove their ability to disobey Him.

You've done it with your children haven't you? Maybe it was just a bite of spinach? You were NOT a 'sadist' for it unless you took pleasure in their torture.

I don't have children.

But, forcing one's children to do something they don't like doesn't make it not loving, nor does it remove their ability to love. The child can still refuse to, to use your example, eat their spinach, put then they will be punished for not eating their food.

My estimation of you is that you are a good father and that it was for their good and not harm.

Supra, but thank you.

God doesn't force salvation but uses He resources in His own good counsel to reach, seeking and saving the lost and is able to save to the uttermost those perishing, thus He causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust until the day of harvest.

Not in contention.

Self evident to you and even people both sides of the Open debate (from other freewill theists so you are not alone).

Self-evident means: not needing to be demonstrated or explained; obvious.

Meaning, if it's not obvious to you too, then you've got your eyes covered, or you have blinders on.

As I've read through Genesis 1-3, they have always been told not 'you have a choice to make' but rather 'stay away from it!' Its a reasonable request. When I tell my kids to 'stay away from the hot stove' it has nothing to do with 'choice' or their supposed 'need to test boundaries in order to understand love.'

Saying it doesn't make it so, Lon!

Everything you've just said is a description of giving someone a choice!

"Stay away from the stove" is an utterly meaningless command if the person you're saying it to does not have the choice to NOT say away from the stove!

Love IS the action of saying no and 'if' they obeyed they would understand and appreciate my love very much without having to have the scar for the rest of their lives. The scar can certainly be used to 'work for good' those I love as reminders of that love, but it is completely unnecessary for them to grasp I love them. They could have rather seen and understood quite readily that my prohibition was for their good and realized I loved them without the ability or desire to do otherwise. I believe implicitly that your kids would see you as a loving father simply for telling them 'the stove is hot, don't touch!' No sounding board or choice to do the bad thing is/was needed. In fact, it'd take an incredibly callous person to come behind you and me and say "you will surely NOT be burned! You'll know heat like your dad and I!" That's not love either of course, but let's not call the 'ability to not listen to my loving dad's directive' a necessity for love or 'better' context for understanding my love? -Lon

I'm not talking about them recognizing the Father's love.

I'm talking about THEIR ability to love, not God's.

Also, You seem to have confused love with the law.

Love is not the law.
The law is not love.

No one is saying Adam and Eve could not have known and understood what love is without disobeying God.

What we're saying is that without the choice to NOT love, without the ability to disobey, they could not love God, for love must be freely given. If they did not have a choice to do otherwise, they were not free. Thus, they would not have been free to love Him.

Lon

It doesn't matter. One is kidnapping, the other is a proper relationship.
Prior to sin, she'd never have seen it that way nor known it that way. Thank you for this dialogue btw. I appreciate you.
So what if you disagree? No one cares. Make an argument.
Ask?

No, I'm not.
You were, if someone is 'taken care of' that's love.
I'm not talking about being loved.

I'm talking about loving.

If you went into a house, and you had no way to leave, no matter if all your needs were taken care of, you'd be a prisoner, incapable of truly loving the one who imprisoned you, because it could be argued that any love that you show isn't actually love, but is a result of stockholm syndrome.
My kids came home from the hospital EXACTLY this way! My kids couldn't move away and frankly didn't want to do so O,o Moreover? They 1) knew they were loved and loved back, none of this 'they had to be free to choose or it isn't love' dilemma at all.
Again, my questions were: "Can the woman truly love the man?" in either situation, and "Which man is healthy/mentally ill?"
Yep. Not one of my children are mentally ill o_O and I'm not either (I hope its crickets, Lord please let the only come-back be crickets!).
The woman who was locked up cannot. That man is mentally ill.
A child isn't able to leave my home until a certain age and I'm not ill. The mantra that love must be able to choose otherwise is simply a sentiment against Muslim absurdity. IOW, you have to put the absurd in the proposition or it doesn't play out at all absurdly (unless you hate your parents, then I'd just be sorry).
The woman who was free to leave at any point, can either leave, or she can come to love the man. That man is healthy.
Not necessarily. Stockholm syndrome is exactly that dysfunctional. Think of it more like the Garden of Eden: They were put in a place they couldn't leave, nor were they created to disdain the prohibition to stay away from one particular tree. That tree wasn't there as a way of 'giving choice.' They were specifically told not to touch it and given a very real warning of harm. Love existed prior to the disobedience. Love was disrupted specifically 'because' they 'chose otherwise.' It is exactly opposite your position.
No one cares. Make an argument.
You 'could' care, you just choose not to :Z "Disagree" is a nice short communication to say "nope." Pay attention to words after 'nope', they usually explain what you are asking for so your 'no one cares' is unnecessary.
Only because they had the ability to leave an any point in time, via the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
'Nope.' (I disagree) It is "No" you don't need to 'choose' to do what you are made to automatically do.
That tree was "the way out."
EXACTLY opposite of your supposed scenario. Do you realize you had to come up with dysfunctional and mentally ill and NOT the Garden for your analogy to even have traction? IOW, you had to describe 'not love' to rebel against for something you believe is 'love by choice' to work. When they chose the tree, it was NOT love. In fact they were loving 'before' that choice.
The choice was there from the moment God told Adam "do not eat from the tree."
Barring the Serpent, there would have been no disobedience. They were made 'without' the desire to do otherwise. You virtually are doing what many Open Theists accuse Calvinists of: Creating people with a bad-switch capable of doing otherwise already built in as if 'choosing' makes love more virtuous somehow. How could it? You are Adam, you are in a good place, a paradise. You have only good thoughts. You have only awareness of a good God. You are made 'to' love and you cannot love more virtuously because you are perfect. Your wife eats of a tree, you choose to do so, to not lose her, because she convinces you it tastes good etc. You 'just' messed up your ability to love virtuously ever again barring God's redemptive intervention. THAT is the ACTUAL scenario. It never was needed to 'show' love. It didn't matter, they were loving perfectly already, now they aren't and neither are we. Our 'choice' to do otherwises stinks!
There's nothing to disagree with. That's LITERALLY what the Bible says.
You didn't quote a verse that says love must be free to choose otherwise for love to be love (maybe one doesn't exist?)
Yes, that's my position. They were told not to because REJECTING GOD IS THE WAY TO DEATH!!!
Yes, we both agree, not that anybody cares (apparently, I mean I do, I care, because it matters whether you agree or disagree and carries our conversation one way or the other. The 'good' of caring whether you agree or disagree is that I can move along on this point, build on it, or simply chalk one up for a point we don't have to discuss much further. That's good!).
Right, NOT love! JR, you can 'love me' Matthew 22:39-40, or you can despise me. Do you, as a believer and lover of Christ, really (really?) have a choice? Now for the important part: Do you believe you'd love me 'more' by being able to despise me as a choice? My argument is emphatically: not a whit! Love is love with or without that other! It is totally unnecessary for one who is made to love! The 'ability to do otherwise' is a huge fail! It does nothing for you or me but rather gets 'in the way' of loving more effectively!
Of course He didn't want that for man!
🆙
Love is the commitment to the good of someone.

It is NOT loving to lock someone up and prevent them from ever leaving, no matter your reasons for it!
Not correct. Love 'can' lock you up to protect others from you if you are a menace. Love can make your kids (okay, mine, do you have a niece or nephew?) stay inside and not play outside today because there is arsenic in the soil or acid rain or a coyote (we have 4 in the neighborhood) will eat them. Before you call foul, let me visit 'ever' also: I 'can' lovingly lock you up to protect you from a toxic sun if you have a skin disease will die (boy in the plastic bubble). There 'can' be a compelling reason to let that one lovingly die, but I actually think, in love, I can talk that boy into staying in his plastic bubble.
EVEN IF IT'S GOD DOING IT!
Nope, not if I've shown otherwise and I believe I have. You've offered an idea that simply doesn't hold true. You CAN be loving. Let me posit an idea and ask you to weigh in: Could God have 'lovingly' put the tree in a different garden? Would that have been 'unloving' of God?
Giving Adam and Eve a way out of His presence is loving, even if taking that exit will harm them.
I'll try and remember that next time one of the grandkids run out in the street? CAN you possibly have this make any kind of sense? There are a LOT of people that believe exactly as you do, I'm frankly not getting it. What am I missing? I've been arguing over this for a long time, I'd love to see somebody finally prove the point: How is letting my kids run into the road (their choice) without stopping them from getting creamed in the road seen as loving? Further, does it really look 'less' than loving to run out there and save them?
Correction:

God: "I love you, you are my creation. I want you to love me back. In order for it to be possible for you to freely love me in return, you must be able to hate me. Therefore, I will give you a way out, a way for you to be able to hate me. I will place a tree in the midst of the garden. You MUST NOT EAT OF IT, or else you will die. I have set before you life and death, therefore choose life, that you may live."
Sounds VERY odd to me that you have to have the ability to hate me, for you to love me! I 'think' as a believer you have no choice but to love me, your brother in Christ AND I believe your love might actually be better without the 'hate' giving you a double mind. Let me ask you: does it matter if I 'choose' to love as much as 'if' I love you? Does it even need a contrast?
So you think that a woman who is locked up, and who is not free to leave the house a man takes her to, is able to love him?
Yes, my daughters are women. When we had acid rain, I "locked" them up. Further, do you think Adam and Eve would have felt 'locked up' in the Garden? I'm fairly positive in their perfect nature, they'd never have thought that. Do I need to be able to choose something more atrocious than 'not loving you' for my love to be actually love? How does that equate or make sense?
You're literally describing one half of my position.
Good, now get me on the other half of the page! (and thank you for discussion, appreciated)
THE REASON they could choose to NOT disobey is because they had the ability, the option, to disobey to begin with.
Is that the reason or is the reason because literally they didn't want to, weren't created that way until the Serpent entered the Garden? IOW, wasn't it love 'before' they even had the actual choice/inclination and not after? They were literally choosing not to love at that point, but unless God made Adam with a 'disobedience switch' which looks 'faulty' on paper and oddly Calvinistic to the double-pred degree, they couldn't have done otherwise. At that point, prior to the fall, wasn't it genuine love? Or do you believe they necessarily had that switch placed into them? Double-pred Calvinists would totally agree with you if you say yes, I'm just trying to follow because it troubles my theology and God said creation 'was good' which to me, means no faulty switch.
Stating "I believe X" means nothing here.
Disagree (oops). As long as you explain your disagreement (like I'm doing here), you've succinctly set me up to grasp that there is a rebuttal on the way. I'm more than okay with you saying "I disagree" when you explain why. You could simply state, 'that's not true' but a reserved "right now, I don't agree with that" tells me that I have more conversing to do. It isn't a deal breaker.
Make an argument.
Usually following every statement of disagreement.
So one cannot choose to love?
Not as believers, no and unbelievers really don't know how. John 15:16 (Jesus said they didn't, but did they?) 1 John 4:10 Romans 5:8
Because you say so? God MUST love us?
Did He hate Esau? God is love. John is clear on that, so at that point yes, because I show John said so, because I say so! (It is an interesting way of arguing, you could politely ask: Why do you assert this? Where are you getting the idea? it helps move the conversation along better - Because I say so? Yeah, I think so, but experience seems to be on my side on this so try it).
Second question: God MUST love (us)? Yes God is, so 'must' be consistent with His own being. It is like asking if I "must be a man?" Yes, because I am. Some would believe otherwise, but I cannot change my gender. Yes, I MUST be a man.
Can He do otherwise?
No. He rejects all that is not love, which is also loving necessarily. You and I, as believers, don't really have a choice either. We may think so and futilely exercise indifference, but it is not a valid option nor does it mean more 'when' you do love. I don't appreciate your love 'more' when you tell me you'd rather 'hate' me and in fact, makes love seem insincere, not contrasted or better. God loved us while we were yet sinners. God doesn't ever choose against His nature and His love is more meaningful for us who aren't consistent because of it. Moreover, when we were lost, we were flabbergasted by that kind of love. We didn't have to know (and it wasn't true anyway) that "God could have chosen not to love you, you know! You beastly thing! You are just lucky He chose to love you!" It actually means more to tell someone: "God SO loved the world..."
Is God in the position that He must love us? Because of sin?
Do you mean: Is God in the position that He must love us 'because' of sin? Or are you asking "Is God stuck in the position of loving us, even with our sin?" To the first, no. To the second, yes, but please clarify if I missed it. Thanks
Can He not love us?
It will be the permanent case with the unbeliever, and only as a 'separation from' all that is good. Until then, He is unwilling that any should perish and oddly I'm having deja vu of a conversation I had with a double-pred Calvinist on TOL about pretty much the same thing 0.o They think God can 'hate' who is not predestined. He calls us to love our enemies and do good to them to be perfect as He is perfect etc. The command is a reflection of Who He is, for us to be like Him (Matthew 5:43-48).
This is my position.

God demanded that Adam and Eve not partake of the Tree, but He didn't remove their ability to disobey Him.

I don't have children.

But, forcing one's children to do something they don't like doesn't make it not loving, nor does it remove their ability to love. The child can still refuse to, to use your example, eat their spinach, put then they will be punished for not eating their food.
Supra, but thank you.

Not in contention.

Self-evident means: not needing to be demonstrated or explained; obvious.

Meaning, if it's not obvious to you too, then you've got your eyes covered, or you have blinders on.
Yes, exactly. I'm still not seeing it (not the only one, but there are not many of us).
Saying it doesn't make it so, Lon!
Yes. It. Does. EVERY parent here will tell you they were very loving when they told their child to not touch the stove. Further, I absolutely did not need something in the house that would harm them for them to know about love. They didn't need a 'to do otherwise' to either experience or give love. In fact love does a pretty good job of producing love in others. Giving a choice to do otherwise generally has my kids not doing chores, (the desired response). Similarly, a choice to 'do otherwise' is not a good options because I actually learn 'not' to love by going that route. It in fact, does completely opposite the desired response. Are you telling me Adam and Eve needed to sin in order to learn what love was really all about? Did they need the 'option' to sin in order for their already perfectly working love button response to work better? What is the contrast actually saying? What are you trying to say? HOW can a choice 'not to love' be a must before I can appreciate you just loving me by your new nature, for instance? Or even you able to 'appreciate' your own ability to love? While scripture does say "He who has been forgiven much, loves much," It doesn't mean you are a better 'lover' because you have been a greater sinner at one time does it? Isn't it rather that you recognize what it took Christ in God to save us? Is it diminished if you believe God did or didn't have a choice? Jesus did ask for a pass, but does that make it 'more loving' or is it just that same incredibly love just with more context and expression? Did Jesus 'have' to have been able to 'choose otherwise' or it wouldn't be 'as loving?' Love against the backdrop of sin definitely contrasts brightly and especially unsaved grabbed my attention, but ever after I've always been blown away at the immensity and unfathomable richness of His love for us.
Everything you've just said is a description of giving someone a choice!
Yes, but 1) is it really? I'm not offering my kids a choice when I tell them "don't touch this hot stove, it burns!" and 2) Is it necessary? As a father I simply chose not to put in a woodstove. If I got one, I may have placed a barrier around it, etc. See, those actions 'removed' even the possibility of a bad choice. Moreover, I don't think them touching the stove or not the best way to show me they love me anyway (the contrast that is insisted upon, the "ability to do otherwise)." It doesn't really accentuate love at all so it still puzzles me that 'the ability to sin' must exist for love to exist or be appreciable or demonstrable.
"Stay away from the stove" is an utterly meaningless command if the person you're saying it to does not have the choice to NOT stay away from the stove!
Exactly, but the people on your side are saying that the child must 'have the ability to touch the stove' for love to exist, if I am following the argument. That to me doesn't make sense.
I'm not talking about them recognizing the Father's love.

I'm talking about THEIR ability to love, not God's.

Also, You seem to have confused love with the law.
Hmm 🤔 ▼ where? ▼
Love IS the action of saying no and 'if' they obeyed they would understand and appreciate my love very much without having to have the scar for the rest of their lives. The scar can certainly be used to 'work for good' those I love as reminders of that love, but it is completely unnecessary for them to grasp I love them. They could have rather seen and understood quite readily that my prohibition was for their good and realized I loved them without the ability or desire to do otherwise. I believe implicitly that your kids would see you as a loving father simply for telling them 'the stove is hot, don't touch!' No sounding board or choice to do the bad thing is/was needed. In fact, it'd take an incredibly callous person to come behind you and me and say "you will surely NOT be burned! You'll know heat like your dad and I!" That's not love either of course, but let's not call the 'ability to not listen to my loving dad's directive' a necessity for love or 'better' context for understanding my love? -Lon
Love is not the law.
The law is not love.

No one is saying Adam and Eve could not have known and understood what love is without disobeying God.
Only that they 'had' to be able to choose for it to be of any kind of appreciation? That I have to be able to 'choose' rather than just 'love' a person? Let me ask which you prefer:

Your wife: Out of all the males in the world I could have chosen, I chose you!
Or
Your wife: I love you.

Me? The second, every time. It doesn't need to distraction of 'not love' to qualify her love, just 'if' she does. It doesn't matter if she had to consciously gone out of her way to have said it. It matters rather if actions follow the statement. The 'choice to do otherwise' simply doesn't matter and isn't part of our everyday conversation. "You know, I could have chosen not to love you today" actually detracts from just doing it. The 'abilty to choose' just gets petty and distracting at that point.
What we're saying is that without the choice to NOT love, without the ability to disobey, they could not love God, for love must be freely given. If they did not have a choice to do otherwise, they were not free. Thus, they would not have been free to love Him.
Because we are fallen, it is a moot point: We DO choose. My contention is rather if it must be so for love to exist and especially because it hasn't a lot of traction in scriptures. No scripture says that 'choosing' is important for love. We do have to choose, that's certainly true, every day. I don't like it, however. I'd much rather wake up and say "I love my brothers and sister on TOL" than "God you want me to love this person?" Choice, as I said, doesn't really do much, just shows a dilemma. It is the doing of the thing that is important and choice to do otherwise is a distraction. I cannot wait for the day, frankly, when I'm like Him and the fleshly tug to 'do otherwise' is gone. I'll be an incredibly better brother to you and, I think, know how to do so then. I simply want to please God and simply want to care for my fellow man. "Free will" makes such egocentric, when love is 'otherly' and sacrificially self-negating. There might be some virtue to 'wanting' but it is still the 'doing' that is ever the better contrast. I don't believe I need an 'ability to do otherwise' when I am doing the thing the matters most in the first place and I don't believe you on your end are any better off knowing I 'chose you' to care for over some other unloving thing. Love is understood better, just being done. I don't have to 'be able to sin' to show God love. I'm uncertain why the tree was in the Garden, but 'so love can be love at all' or 'a better expression of love' doesn't appear to be the right idea. The one thing sin has offered is a desire to 'never go that route again!" Again appreciate your involvement and the large amount of time. Thank you. -Lon

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Prior to sin, she'd never have seen it that way nor known it that way.

Morality is absolute. Meaning, it would still be wrong prior to sin.

Shouldn't have to. You're on a discussion forum. Present your arguments.

You were, if someone is 'taken care of' that's love.

Supra.

My kids came home from the hospital EXACTLY this way! My kids couldn't move away and frankly didn't want to do so O,o Moreover? They 1) knew they were loved and loved back, none of this 'they had to be free to choose or it isn't love' dilemma at all.

Yep. Not one of my children are mentally ill o_O and I'm not either (I hope its crickets, Lord please let the only come-back be crickets!). A child isn't able to leave my home until a certain age and I'm not ill.

I'm going to refer you to this thread on the age of accountability, and point out that children just come home from the hospital were not made fully aware and mentally developed like Adam and Eve were.

Additionally, your children are yours. They belong to you. You as their parent have the right to bring them from the hospital to your home.

The mantra that love must be able to choose otherwise is simply a sentiment against Muslim absurdity. IOW, you have to put the absurd in the proposition or it doesn't play out at all absurdly.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Not necessarily. Stockholm syndrome is exactly that dysfunctional. Think of it more like the Garden of Eden: They were put in a place they couldn't leave, nor were they created to disdain the prohibition to stay away from one particular tree. That tree wasn't there as a way of 'giving choice.' They were specifically told not to touch it and given a very real warning of harm. Love existed prior to the disobedience. Love was disrupted specifically 'because' they 'chose otherwise.' It is exactly opposite your position.

Several problems with this:
1) Yes they could leave. The way out WAS the Tree.
2) The tree WAS the choice. They could either obey God and love Him, and not eat of the tree, and therefore live with Him forever, or they could disobey Him, and be thrown out of His presence and the garden.
3) NEITHER ADAM NOR EVE were told "do not touch" by God. You have believed the same cliche that Idolater did in another thread. God specifically said "DO NOT EAT." EVE is the one who said that God told her "do not eat or touch." She was wrong. It's likely that Adam told her "don't touch" as a way of putting a law around the law. See these posts here:
4) The very real warning of harm was the warning of what would happen if they disobeyed him, and thus, rejected loving Him. Which is literally what I've been saying.
5) No one is saying love existed prior to their disobedience. What I'm saying, and HAVE been saying, is that WITHOUT A CHOICE TO DISOBEY, their "obedience" is meaningless, their "love" is meaningless, just as meaningless as programming a robot to walk in circles while saying "I love you." That "love" has no meaning, because aside from the fact that robots are not living to begin with, the robot can literally not do otherwise! It doesn't have a choice! Humans are not robots, Lon!

'Nope.' (I disagree) It is "No" you don't need to 'choose' to do what you are made to automatically do.

Humans are not robots. Neither were Adam and Eve.

God told them in no uncertain terms that disobedience would result in death.

In doing so, He gave them the option to choose between life and death.

They (eventually) chose death.

EXACTLY opposite of your supposed scenario.

That IS my scenario, Lon!

The boarded up house is the Garden without a way out, without the command to not eat of the tree!

The unlocked and non-boarded up windowed house is the one with the tree and the command to not eat of it!

How did you get that mixed up?!

Do you realize you had to come up with dysfunctional and mentally ill and NOT the Garden for your analogy to even have traction?

The analogy was supposed to demonstrate that God is NOT a sadist nor mentally ill. Somehow you've confused yourself into thinking that God being a sadist and mentally ill is a good thing.

IOW, you had to describe 'not love' to rebel against for something you believe is 'love by choice' to work.

Without the ability to "not love", love by choice is meaningless, because there is no choice. A = !A

It's literally irrational to assert that one can love by choice when there is no choice to be made.

When they chose the tree, it was NOT love.

Yes, that is ENTIRELY MY POINT!

In fact they were loving 'before' that choice.

You either don't seem to be understanding my position at all, or you're being intentionally obtuse.

You're conflating the choice being presented to Adam in Genesis 2 (and subsequently via Adam to Eve), with the making of the choice in Genesis 3.

They are NOT the same thing.

Prior to God commanding Adam in 2:15-17, Adam had no way out, no choice, no option to love freely, because he was not aware of any choice to do otherwise. After that command, his love had meaning. However, the amount of time between his creation and God telling him "do not eat of the Tree" was inconsequential.

Prior to Eve being told (most likely by Adam) to not "eat or touch," her love for God had no meaning, because she was not aware of any choice to do otherwise. Afterwards, her love had meaning. However, the amount of time between her creation and being told "do not eat of or touch the Tree" was likely inconsequential.

The moment Eve made the choice to eat of the Tree, she sinned, and disobeyed God. In fact, the moment she broke the law she was told, to not touch it, she sinned.

The moment Adam ate the fruit of the Tree, he disobeyed God.

So yes, there was time enough for Adam and Eve to be able to meaningfully love God before they made the choice to disobey Him, but prior to being GIVEN the choice, they did not love Him, nor could fully comprehend what love is.

Barring the Serpent, there would have been no disobedience.

And yet, the option was still there, should they ever decide to leave.

Which is entirely my point.

They were made 'without' the desire to do otherwise.

Because you say so?

You virtually are doing what many Open Theists accuse Calvinists of: Creating people with a bad-switch capable of doing otherwise already built in

Uh, what?

Calvinists say there is no switch, that a person is created to do exactly what God predetermined they would do, and that they would want to do it, not because of their own desire, but because God desired it. Calvinists teach that humans are God-programmed robots.

I'm saying that a human is capable of doing either good or evil, regardless of what God wants.

as if 'choosing' makes love more virtuous somehow.

Choosing to love when you have the option, the ability, to hate, does in fact give that love meaning.

Whether it's virtuous or not, that's a different matter.

How could it?

How could the ability to hate make love virtuous?

You are Adam, you are in a good place, a paradise. You have only good thoughts. You have only awareness of a good God. You are made 'to' love and you cannot love more virtuously because you are perfect. Your wife eats of a tree, you choose to do so, to not lose her, because she convinces you it tastes good etc. You 'just' messed up your ability to love virtuously ever again barring God's redemptive intervention. THAT is the ACTUAL scenario.

You forgot the part where that good God told you that if you eat of a specific tree, you will die, thus giving meaning to your choice to love Him.

It never was needed to 'show' love.

It didn't matter, they were loving perfectly already,

Supra.

now they aren't and neither are we. Our 'choice' to do otherwises stinks!

Hence God's warning.

You didn't quote a verse that says love must be free to choose otherwise for love to be love (maybe one doesn't exist?)

Supra.

Right, NOT love! JR, you can 'love me' Matthew 22:39-40, or you can despise me.

Because I have the ability, the option, to choose.

Do you, as a believer and lover of Christ, really (really?) have a choice?

Yes.

Now for the important part: Do you believe you'd love me 'more' by being able to despise me as a choice?

Stolen concept fallacy.

I couldn't love you at all if I didn't have the ability to hate you. It simply wouldn't be love, and calling it love would make it meaningless.

My argument is emphatically: not a whit!

And therefore you are wrong, because of the above.

Love is love with or without that other! It is totally unnecessary for one who is made to love! The 'ability to do otherwise' is a huge fail! It does nothing for you or me but rather gets 'in the way' of loving more effectively!

Not correct. Love 'can' lock you up to protect others from you if you are a menace.

Yes, it is more loving to punish the criminal than it is to let the criminal run free, because the criminal made... you guessed it... A CHOICE to be evil.

... At which point, the criminal should be punished, not locked up like an animal. God authorizes locking people up ONLY while they are awaiting punishment for a crime. God frees Prisoners, tells believers to visit those in prison, and tells us that Hell is the real prison, where those who have rejected Him (a choice, by the way) are punished for their unforgiven sins, after which they will, by their choice, be sent to the Lake of Fire.

For references, see:
Leviticus 24:11-12; Numbers 15:34; Exodus 22:8; Ecclesiastes 8:11; Psalm 142:7, 146:7; Isaiah 42:7, 61:1; Zechariah 9:11-12; Acts 5:19, 16:25-26; 1 Peter 3:19; Ephesians 4:8; Matthew 25:36; Revelation 20:1-4, 7.

Love can make your kids stay inside and not play outside today because there is arsenic in the soil or acid rain or a coyote will eat them. Before you call foul, let me visit 'ever' also: I 'can' lovingly lock you up to protect you from a toxic sun if you have a skin disease will die (boy in the plastic bubble). There 'can' be a compelling reason to let that one lovingly die, but I actually think, in love, I can talk that boy into staying in his plastic bubble.

And yet... EVERY SINGLE ONE of your examples is not taking away the ability of the one you are "locking up" to disobey you by going outside anyways, in spite of your command not to.

As far as I was aware, there was no lock on the bubble that prevented the boy from opening it.

It is not loving to intentionally kill someone who is not dying, that includes removing life support (in whatever form that may take) from someone whose health is not deteriorating with it.

Nope, not if I've shown otherwise and I believe I have. You've offered an idea that simply doesn't hold true. You CAN be loving. Let me posit an idea and ask you to weigh in: Could God have 'lovingly' put the tree in a different garden?

Answer:

Would that have been 'unloving' of God?

If not unloving, then certainly deceptive.

But God wanted the choice to be clear, just like how He said:

I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the Lord your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.”

I'll try and remember that next time one of the grandkids run out in the street?

That's a question?

CAN you possibly have this make any kind of sense? There are a LOT of people that believe exactly as you do, I'm frankly not getting it. What am I missing? I've been arguing over this for a long time, I'd love to see somebody finally prove the point: How is letting my kids run into the road (their choice) without stopping them from getting creamed in the road seen as loving? Further, does it really look 'less' than loving to run out there and save them?

You seem to have come up with a straw man.

Of course it's loving to not let your kids run out into the road.

In fact, if you didn't care about your kids, you would let them. You have the choice, to love them or to be apathetic (a form of hatred) to them. The very fact that you DON'T hate your children, gives meaning to not letting them run out into the road.

I'd even go so far as to say that if your kids ARE running out into the road, you don't love them enough, since 1) you haven't taught them to obey you when you tell them not to do something, and 2) you aren't paying enough attention to them when they're outside the house!

But that's not what is being discussed here. To use your analogy (assuming you HAVE taught your children to obey you when you tell them not to do something), Adam and Eve are like the children who run out into the road, in spite of being warned not to.

By choosing to run out into the road, they chose not to love you, in that instant, by rejecting your command not to do so.

That's not love. That's disobedience.

Sounds VERY odd to me that you have to have the ability to hate me, for you to love me!

Appeal to incredulity.

If I do not have the ability to do otherwise, then it's not love to begin with.

I 'think' as a believer you have no choice but to love me, your brother in Christ

You think wrongly. The choice exists. It's simply NOT LOVING to not love you as a brother in Christ. By definition.

AND I believe your love might actually be better without the 'hate' giving you a double mind.

By definition, if it's not freely given, in other words, if I have no ability to do otherwise, then it's not love at all.

Let me ask you: does it matter if I 'choose' to love as much as 'if' I love you? Does it even need a contrast?

There's no distinction. You either choose to love someone or you choose not to love someone.

If there's no choice, then it's not love.

Yes, my daughters are women. When we had acid rain, I "locked" them up.

And they could have unlocked the door and gone outside, in rebellion against your love. No?

Further, do you think Adam and Eve would have felt 'locked up' in the Garden? I'm fairly positive in their perfect nature, they'd never have thought that.

Again, stolen concept fallacy.

You're using the concept of love freely given to deny that they had a choice in the matter.

The choice being to eat or not eat of the Tree.

Them being locked up would resemble a garden without any forbidden fruit.

Do I need to be able to choose something more atrocious than 'not loving you' for my love to be actually love?

All you need is the ability to hate, for you to have the ability to love.

Robots do not have the ability to hate, therefore they cannot love.

How does that equate or make sense?

You are once again making an appeal to incredulity.

Love, BY DEFINITION, must be freely given. There must be a choice available to do otherwise, or else it's not love.

Is that the reason or is the reason because literally they didn't want to, weren't created that way until the Serpent entered the Garden? IOW, wasn't it love 'before' they even had the actual choice/inclination and not after?

Supra. God created Adam and Eve with the ABILITY to love and to hate. He gave them the OPTION to love or to hate Him by placing the Tree in the garden.

Also, the Serpent was in the garden from the beginning. His name was Lucifer.

They were literally choosing not to love at that point, but unless God made Adam with a 'disobedience switch' which looks 'faulty' on paper and oddly Calvinistic to the double-pred degree, they couldn't have done otherwise. At that point, prior to the fall, wasn't it genuine love? Or do you believe they necessarily had that switch placed into them? Double-pred Calvinists would totally agree with you if you say yes, I'm just trying to follow because it troubles my theology and God said creation 'was good' which to me, means no faulty switch.

There was no "switch" that had to be flipped.

Again, Adam and Eve were created fully formed with the ABILITY to both love and hate from the moment they were created. They were given the OPTION to love or to hate God when presented with the command to not eat of the Tree.

Not as believers, no

Being called to love your neighbor doesn't mean you will love them. Hence proving my point. You can choose to love your neighbor, or you can choose to hate your neighbor.

and unbelievers really don't know how.

Unbelievers don't know how to love? They're not human?

John 15:16 (Jesus said they didn't, but did they?)

John 15:16 says nothing about an unbeliever's ability to love. He's not even talking about unbelievers!

He's talking to and about the Twelve Disciples... presenting them with the choice to keep His commandments in order to abide in his love... Huh, that sounds an awful lot like my position!

“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. These things I command you, that you love one another.

1 John 4:10

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

"let us love..."
"we ... ought to love..."

Those don't sound like phrases one would use if there was no ability to do otherwise.

Should we? Yes.

Will we? No.

Which proves my position.

Romans 5:8

Says nothing about men loving. It's talking about God.

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

But it raises the question, again, could God have chosen to not love us? Could He not have chosen to destroy Adam and Eve when they sinned, or to not tell them about His future plans to save humanity?

If He cannot do otherwise than to love us, then does He really love us?

I say no, He could not. He is like the woman in the previous examples I gave, the one who is locked up, unable to leave, a prisoner of His own nature.

Did He hate Esau?

No.

Love and hate is a common Hebrew idiom that means to love and love more. It means that you love someone or something so much it's as if you hate someone or something else.

Jesus used this same idiom in Luke 14:26:

“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

God is love.

Not in dispute.

John is clear on that, so at that point yes, because I show John said so, because I say so! (It is an interesting way of arguing, you could politely ask: Why do you assert this? Where are you getting the idea? it helps move the conversation along better - Because I say so? Yeah, I think so, but experience seems to be on my side on this so try it).

I have no idea what you're even talking about here.

Second question: God MUST love (us)? Yes God is, so 'must' be consistent with His own being.

Supra, RE: Is God free

You're asserting that God is not free to do otherwise.

It is like asking if I "must be a man?" Yes, because I am. Some would believe otherwise, but I cannot change my gender. Yes, I MUST be a man.

Because you were created as a man.

God loves because He wants to love, not because He has no other choice.

No. He rejects all that is not love, which is also loving necessarily. You and I, as believers, don't really have a choice either. We may think so and futilely exercise indifference, but it is not a valid option nor does it mean more 'when' you do love.

Thank you for contradicting yourself. You make my argument for me.

If we don't have a choice BUT to love, then all we will do is love. It's as simple as that. The very fact that you have to add "we may think [we have a choice] and futilely exercise indifference" shows you inherently recognize our ability as free agents to do otherwise. Which is entirely my position.

WE CAN AND DO choose not to love, even as Christians. We SHOULD love, but it doesn't mean we will. And therein lies the point. Love must be freely given.

I don't appreciate your love 'more' when you tell me you'd rather 'hate' me and in fact, makes love seem insincere, not contrasted or better.

Straw man.

If I were telling you I'd rather hate you, then obviously my love for you would have no meaning.

But that's not what we're talking about.

We're talking about HAVING THE ABILITY to hate, and choosing to love given the option.

"One would rather do X than Y" when Y should be done is desire to do X. We're talking about desire to do Y, even given the option of doing X.

See the difference?

God loved us while we were yet sinners.

Not in dispute.

God doesn't ever choose against His nature and His love is more meaningful for us who aren't consistent because of it.

In other words, you're asserting that God's love has meaning because He has no other option than to love us, He is a prisoner to His love, and sent His Son to die for us because He MUST love us, and couldn't do otherwise.

That doesn't sound like the God of the Bible. That sounds like the god of Calvinism! Worse, it sounds like the stone idols God mocked for not being able to do anything!

Moreover, when we were lost, we were flabbergasted by that kind of love. We didn't have to know (and it wasn't true anyway) that "God could have chosen not to love you, you know! You beastly thing! You are just lucky He chose to love you!" It actually means more to tell someone: "God SO loved the world..."

So God would not be fully justified in sending everyone to Hell in punishment for sin?

Do you mean: Is God in the position that He must love us 'because' of sin? Or are you asking "Is God stuck in the position of loving us, even with our sin?" To the first, no. To the second, yes, but please clarify if I missed it.

You said:

In this instance, it is a redress of our sin condition and it is precisely because we are separated from Him in sin that such is needed: No sin/no appeal needed. We are in this predicament because of sin. God can do many things to 'love,' one is to address us 'in' our sin condition but reckoning with sin isn't necessary for love to be love, it just is and better understood in sin's absence.

It was two questions.

The first is, "Is God in the position that He must love us?"
The second is a follow up, assuming you say yes, "because of sin?"

It will be the permanent case with the unbeliever, and only as a 'separation from' all that is good.

That doesn't answer the question.

Can God do otherwise than love us? "CAN He," not "Will He."

Until then, He is unwilling that any should perish

I'm not asking about what God wants. I'm asking about His capability. CAN HE choose not to love? If not, then He is not free.

Open Theism is primarily focused on the freedom of GOD, not man, despite most of the discussions Open Theists have being about man's freedom.

In order to advance your position, you must say that God is not free to do otherwise. For Him to be truly free means God has the freedom and ability, in this case, to love or not to love. You are essentially taking the settled view theist's position that God cannot do otherwise than what has been predetermined. You think that God is essentially stuck loving His creation, similar to how Zeus is stuck within fate. You believe God no longer, if ever, has the ability to do anything other than love.

Am I wrong?

and oddly I'm having deja vu of a conversation I had with a double-pred Calvinist on TOL about pretty much the same thing 0.o They think God can 'hate' who is not predestined. He calls us to love our enemies and do good to them to be perfect as He is perfect etc. The command is a reflection of Who He is, for us to be like Him (Matthew 5:43-48).

He also commands us to hate evil (as in, those who do evil).

Does that make Him a hypocrite?

Yes, exactly. I'm still not seeing it (not the only one, but there are not many of us).

I've been trying to show it to you, but you've been covering your eyes.

Yes. It. Does.

Argument by assertion is a fallacy for a reason, Lon. Don't base your position on logical fallacies.

Stamping your foot and demanding that what you say is true because you say it is just makes you out to be a spoiled brat and petulant child who thinks he can get whatever he wants simply by demanding it.

EVERY parent here will tell you they were very loving when they told their child to not touch the stove.

That they were loving when they say that is not in dispute.

What's in dispute is that both the parent and the child have a choice in the scenario.

The parent has a choice to NOT tell their child to not touch the stove, and they have a choice TO tell their child to not touch the stove. The former is not loving, the latter is. Having the choice between the two is entirely my position.

The child has a choice to obey their parents, and not touch the stove, and they have a choice to not obey their parents, and to touch the stove. The former is loving of them, and the latter is not. Having the choice between the two is entirely my position.

If there was no choice to make, for EITHER the parents or the child, then there is no love to be shown, for they are just robots following their programming, doing what they have been predetermined to do.

Further, I absolutely did not need something in the house that would harm them for them to know about love.

Disobedience is itself harmful.

You may not need a stove, but simply giving a command to not do something makes DOING that something harmful to the child.

Just like the Tree and its fruit themselves were not harmful (cf. "very good" Genesis 1), but disobeying the prohibition against eating of the Tree is what made it harmful.

They didn't need a 'to do otherwise' to either experience or give love.

Stolen concept fallacy, again.

Love is the commitment to the good of someone. Obedience by definition must be freely given. God commands us to love. Therefore love must be freely given.

Meaning there is always an "otherwise" to do when it comes to love. For example, you could simply not love. You could hate. You could be apathetic, indifferent. You could disobey.

In fact love does a pretty good job of producing love in others.

Not in dispute.

Giving a choice to do otherwise generally has my kids not doing chores, (the desired response).

You didn't give them that choice, though.

They already had that option, simply by you giving the command to do their chores.

“If we are to believe he is really alive with all that that implies, then we have to believe without proof. And of course that is the only way it could be. If it could be somehow proved, then we would have no choice but to believe. We would lose our freedom not to believe. And in the very moment that we lost that freedom, we would cease to be human beings. Our love of God would have been forced upon us, and love that is forced is of course not love at all. Love must be freely given. Love must live in the freedom not to love; it must take risks. Love must be prepared to suffer even as Jesus on the Cross suffered, and part of that suffering is doubt.”

"By definition, obedience must be freely given. Likewise, God commands men to love, and if they are to obey, they must do so freely."

Similarly, a choice to 'do otherwise' is not a good options because I actually learn 'not' to love by going that route.

Yes, constantly disobeying will result in learning not to love.

That doesn't do anything to argue against my position, though, because my position is that you have the ability to either obey or disobey, to love or not to love. You're taking the "disobey" part and acting as if there's no other option.

It in fact, does completely opposite the desired response.

And yet, you and your children have the ability to do either.

Are you telling me Adam and Eve needed to sin in order to learn what love was really all about?

No. They needed the ability to do otherwise.

Did they need the 'option' to sin in order for their already perfectly working love button response to work better?

Supra.

What is the contrast actually saying? What are you trying to say? HOW can a choice 'not to love' be a must before I can appreciate you just loving me by your new nature, for instance? Or even you able to 'appreciate' your own ability to love? While scripture does say "He who has been forgiven much, loves much," It doesn't mean you are a better 'lover' because you have been a greater sinner at one time does it? Isn't it rather that you recognize what it took Christ in God to save us? Is it diminished if you believe God did or didn't have a choice? Jesus did ask for a pass, but does that make it 'more loving' or is it just that same incredibly love just with more context and expression? Did Jesus 'have' to have been able to 'choose otherwise' or it wouldn't be 'as loving?' Love against the backdrop of sin definitely contrasts brightly and especially unsaved grabbed my attention, but ever after I've always been blown away at the immensity and unfathomable richness of His love for us.

Supra.

Yes, but 1) is it really?

Yes, it really is.

I'm not offering my kids a choice when I tell them "don't touch this hot stove, it burns!"

Yes, you are, by definition.

and 2) Is it necessary?

Yes, by definition.

As a father I simply chose not to put in a woodstove. If I got one, I may have placed a barrier around it, etc.

Ok?

See, those actions 'removed' even the possibility of a bad choice.

No, they didn't, except in the most immediate sense. They just made the "bad choice" harder to do.

Moreover, I don't think them touching the stove or not the best way to show me they love me anyway (the contrast that is insisted upon, the "ability to do otherwise)."

So let's move to a different command.

God said "you shall love your neighbor as yourself."

By obeying God's command, you love your neighbor.
By disobeying God's command, you do not love your neighbor.

Point in case.

It doesn't really accentuate love at all so it still puzzles me that 'the ability to sin' must exist for love to exist or be appreciable or demonstrable.

Not "the ability to sin," though not loving one's neighbor is a sin.

The ability to do not love must exist for love to exist.

In the case of Adam and Eve, disobedience of the command "Do not eat of the tree" was in fact sin, because God commanded them not to eat of it, and disobeying God is sin.

Exactly, but the people on your side are saying that the child must 'have the ability to touch the stove' for love to exist, if I am following the argument.

They DO have the ability to touch the stove. If they didn't, children wouldn't get burned by touching the stove in disobedience of their parents.

That to me doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry you can't grasp this simple and foundational concept.

Hmm 🤔 ▼ where? ▼

Only that they 'had' to be able to choose for it to be of any kind of appreciation? That I have to be able to 'choose' rather than just 'love' a person?

Stolen concept, again.

Supra.

Let me ask which you prefer:

Your wife: Out of all the males in the world I could have chosen, I chose you!
Or
Your wife: I love you.

Both.

Now, if the first was instead "should have chosen," then you'd have an argument.

Me? The second, every time. It doesn't need to distraction of 'not love' to qualify her love, just 'if' she does.

Stolen concept, again.

It is implicit that she could have done otherwise.

The "if" only reinforces that.

It doesn't matter if she had to consciously gone out of her way to have said it.

She could have chosen not to say it. No?

It matters rather if actions follow the statement.

Irrelevant to this discussion.

The 'choice to do otherwise' simply doesn't matter and isn't part of our everyday conversation.

So what? Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You make choices every second of every day of your life. Some important, some not important,.

You choose to either love your neighbor or not. That choice must be freely made.

"You know, I could have chosen not to love you today" actually detracts from just doing it.

Supra. RE: desire to do X

The 'abilty to choose' just gets petty and distracting at that point.

Straw man. Supra.

Because we are fallen, it is a moot point:

No, it's not.

ALL HAVE SINNED and fallen short of the glory of God.

Supra, RE obedience by definition

We DO choose.

Thank you for conceding the entire discussion.

My contention is rather if it must be so for love to exist and especially because it hasn't a lot of traction in scriptures.

Yes, it does. Supra.

No scripture says that 'choosing' is important for love.

False.

See Deuteronomy 30:19

We do have to choose, that's certainly true, every day.

Supra.

I don't like it, however.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

I'd much rather wake up and say "I love my brothers and sister on TOL" than "God you want me to love this person?"

That is the decision you make every day, whether you ask the question or not.

Choice, as I said, doesn't really do much, just shows a dilemma.

Choice makes a world of difference.

"I do" before the altar, versus "get away from me you pervert" on the street.

It is the doing of the thing that is important and choice to do otherwise is a distraction.

And yet, the choice remains, whether you like it or not.

That's literally why Paul said "we ought to love one another..." Not because we will, but because he knew that some would choose not to.

I simply want to please God and simply want to care for my fellow man.

That doesn't meant there is no alternative.

There might be some virtue to 'wanting' but it is still the 'doing' that is ever the better contrast.

Supra.

I don't believe I need an 'ability to do otherwise' when I am doing the thing the matters most

Whether you believe you need it or not is irrelevant, because you do, in fact, have the ability to do otherwise.

and I don't believe you on your end are any better off knowing I 'chose you' to care for over some other unloving thing.

So what?

Love is understood better, just being done. I don't have to 'be able to sin' to show God love.

Supra. RE: obedience by definition

I'm uncertain why the tree was in the Garden,

I literally told you why it was there.

It was "the way out" of God's love.

but 'so love can be love at all' or 'a better expression of love' is the right idea.

Whatever that's supposed to mean...

Lon

Morality is absolute. Meaning, it would still be wrong prior to sin.
"Morality" has confusing definitions (man-centered, one of a definition of man's values as central, also the reason I had a hard time with 'morals' relating to God in Clete's thread a bit ago). Regardless, there is no moral problem with not giving choice. Follow please: Jesus prayed "not My will but Thine." Scripture calls us to 'deny self' and Follow Him. Coming to Christ as new creations has us living in and with the real presence of Jesus Christ. We 'sync' with love, not 'choose' to do it. It is actually Christ in us that loves like Christ. Prior? We didn't love. There was no choice. I'm going to challenge you on this again, with a logical paradigm below (trimming a bit of our conversation for length).
Additionally, your children are yours. They belong to you. You as their parent have the right to bring them from the hospital to your home.

Several problems with this:
1) Yes they could leave. The way out WAS the Tree.
2) The tree WAS the choice. They could either obey God and love Him, and not eat of the tree, and therefore live with Him forever, or they could disobey Him, and be thrown out of His presence and the garden.
3) NEITHER ADAM NOR EVE were told "do not touch" by God. You have believed the same cliche that Idolater did in another thread. God specifically said "DO NOT EAT." EVE is the one who said that God told her "do not eat or touch." She was wrong. It's likely that Adam told her "don't touch" as a way of putting a law around the law.
Not an issue nor in contention. "Not touch with your teeth' is what I had in mind. I concede Eve added, was not my intention but for posterity I'll leave the link here.

See these posts here:
4) The very real warning of harm was the warning of what would happen if they disobeyed him, and thus, rejected loving Him. Which is literally what I've been saying.
5) No one is saying love existed prior to their disobedience.
Check #5 for me please before I respond (ty).

What I'm saying, and HAVE been saying, is that WITHOUT A CHOICE TO DISOBEY, their "obedience" is meaningless,
Different than 'love.' Obedience is an outcome of love, not love itself. Obedience can be from love or coercion.
their "love" is meaningless, just as meaningless as programming a robot to walk in circles while saying "I love you." That "love" has no meaning, because aside from the fact that robots are not living to begin with, the robot can literally not do otherwise! It doesn't have a choice! Humans are not robots, Lon!
Take rather a slave that is 'capable' of love (sure God can make a metallic being that loves but it is twice removed).
The slave comes into a room, smiles, gives you dinner and waits on you taking care of your every need: She 'could' love you by doing so, even if she had no choice in the matter of serving you, yet she certainly can do it for loving reasons or as above, from coercion/avoidance of an unpleasantness.
Humans are not robots. Neither were Adam and Eve.
It is an argument from priori. You believe one thing thus reason further: "this" so "this."
God told them in no uncertain terms that disobedience would result in death.

In doing so, He gave them the option to choose between life and death.

They (eventually) chose death.
No question. We are questioning whether 'choice' is necessary for love to be love. Specifically, you are saying that Love IS Choice, by equivocation. Question (supra) does the slave analogy have choice?
The analogy was supposed to demonstrate that God is NOT a sadist nor mentally ill. Somehow you've confused yourself into thinking that God being a sadist and mentally ill is a good thing.
Shooting holes in 'your' argument. "Your" argument against 'not love' IS "locking someone up is sadistic." It literally came from "your" analogy.
"MY" scenario has no (nadda) sadism. It has a Garden. The universe is a box. You and I are literally 'locked up' in a box. Because of that, I'm unconvinced, barring sadism, that such is unloving. Just the opposite. It doesn't matter how 'roomy' the box is, we cannot get out. God is love. Show otherwise, this is inconsistent.
Without the ability to "not love", love by choice is meaningless, because there is no choice. A = !A
Let me ask again: Before the prohibition to not eat of the tree, was there love between God and man? It is as simple of a question as that.
Me: Yes.
You: No, Adam was incomplete. He had to be able to choose otherwise first.
It's literally irrational to assert that one can love by choice when there is no choice to be made.
Right, see just above: No love mutually between God and man until the tree and prohibition.
You either don't seem to be understanding my position at all, or you're being intentionally obtuse.
Both amount to obtuse in getting your point: guilty. To date, I've never gotten it, I've never seen the lynch pin. Very simply, in a nutshell is this question: Did Adam love before the command? Was the tree necessary? Did it 'create' the ability to love? If so, then I am 'starting' to get your argument (questions to follow). I'm going to drop the massive rest of our dialogue for a moment if this expedites the necessaries of the conversation (I think it does). I'll keep going if need be but does this cut to the chase? Did God 'create' the ability to love, in your mind, with the tree?

Last edited:

Lon

A couple more that need to be address whether I follow above or not:
You're conflating the choice being presented to Adam in Genesis 2 (and subsequently via Adam to Eve), with the making of the choice in Genesis 3.

They are NOT the same thing.

Prior to God commanding Adam in 2:15-17, Adam had no way out, no choice, no option to love freely, because he was not aware of any choice to do otherwise. After that command, his love had meaning. However, the amount of time between his creation and God telling him "do not eat of the Tree" was inconsequential.
The tree rather represented knowledge of good and evil, specifically the difference between the two. Adam loved up 'until' the point He 'chose', not prior. He didn't just 'choose' not to eat, there was no desire. He literally was not made that way.
Prior to Eve being told (most likely by Adam) to not "eat or touch," her love for God had no meaning, because she was not aware of any choice to do otherwise.
Did God 'not' make Eve loving toward Adam? Was she incapable?
Afterwards, her love had meaning.
It rather had a conflict for she 'now' knew the difference between good and evil. Prior? She didn't have that knowledge, she just did, from a perfect (loving? I think so) nature. Why do I think so? Because God created them 'in His image.' Without love? 🤔
However, the amount of time between her creation and being told "do not eat of or touch the Tree" was likely inconsequential.
Doesn't matter if it was seconds or years. Rather, you could suggest 'because' the tree was there, they were thus 'made' to love at that point. It'd be an interesting idea because then you could say 'yes, they loved prior to eating, "by choice." Notice with me that 'choice' is a carrier of love, not love itself. I'm arguing that Love exists without choice as the only carrier. Being 'created that way' is a carrier.
So yes, there was time enough for Adam and Eve to be able to meaningfully love God before they made the choice to disobey Him, but prior to being GIVEN the choice, they did not love Him, nor could fully comprehend what love is.
The tree, specifically, was a knowledge of good and evil. Prior they had no knowledge of evil. Did they know good, or were they ignorant? Isn't it rather that without the contrast, they are 'just that way?' Similarly to love, did they have to know 'what good was' to 'be' good?
Genesis 1:31 And God saw everything that He had made, and behold, it was very good.
Adam and Eve had no backdrop to understand 'good' other than 'this is what we are.' There was no contrast for them to understand in the context of evil, what good was, they 'just were good.' Similarly, they 'just were' loving, at least if my argument stands.
Uh, what?

Calvinists say there is no switch, that a person is created to do exactly what God predetermined they would do, and that they would want to do it, not because of their own desire, but because God desired it. Calvinists teach that humans are God-programmed robots.
You are talking about a double-pred at that point. You say a bit later that 'they had no switch' to do otherwise. I'd posit then it'd have been impossible to disobey. "Choice to do otherwise" IS the switch.
I'm saying that a human is capable of doing either good or evil, regardless of what God wants.
Mark 10:19 "Nobody is good." Romans 3:12 "There are 'none' that do good." Did you mean to type 'incapable?' Clarification please.
Choosing to love when you have the option, the ability, to hate, does in fact give that love meaning.
Well, yes, but we are arguing if it is necessary for the other to exist. It is a yin/yang proposition and posits, at least at a viewing, that God is co-eternal with evil. Was God loving 'before' evil existed in the universe? Yes or no? Did the Son love the Father? Or has evil always existed?
I know. Neither does saying "I disagree." We both just say about the same thing differently. I like that you say the same thing at times, it let's me smile when you say "no one cares!"
Stolen concept fallacy.
Only if you make the assumption that a demonstrable choice to do otherwise always and without fail is included every single time someone tells you "I love you." You have made the concept synonymous AND it is the whole premise of this thread dialogue. The stolen concept theory came initially from Pierre Proudhone: All property is theft. "Property" includes the idea of ownership thus self-defeats the argument: if there is 'property' then not all of it can be stolen because you have to be able to steal something someone else owns already.
For you, Love must/necessarily be accompanied by 'choice' but that is the exact scenario we are debating! It be like saying I was using a stolen concept fallacy to question whether 'property' means 'ownership' by necessity. We wouldn't be arguing 'theft' at that point, just whether 'property' must mean ownership. Proudhone convincingly argued his own statement, that birthed the label, wasn't a fallacy, because it didn't represent a concept 'against' his point. He said you could steal something that someone else stole, perpetually.
I couldn't love you at all if I didn't have the ability to hate you. It simply wouldn't be love, and calling it love would make it meaningless.
Bad news, I believe you lost that ability (literally) upon salvation o_O
And therefore you are wrong, because of the above.
Or am I? 🤔
No, but if it is self-evident. I yet believe you lost your ability to hate at salvation.
Thank you for conceding the entire discussion.
You are mistaken. I'll repeat: we have choice, my contention again is whether it is needed for love to exist.

Lon

🆙 Clete, Specifically this:
One cannot love that which he does not choose to love and no wise choice is made in the absence of at least some rationally apprehended knowledge.
Not the 'intellect' part, I agree, rather the 'choice.' I do also agree with you qualified. Perhaps JR wants me to get a second opinion.

We in sin have choice. Prior, in the Garden, I believe Adam loved completely and well 'before' he ate of the tree of knowledge. I also believe he was completely 'good' prior to the tree of Good and Evil (because Genesis 1 says). Quick thoughts? (it goes deeper, as to whether 'choice' is simply 'a' carrier of love (my position), or if the tree were necessary to 'create love' in Adam and Eve (at least as I'm understanding Bob Enyart's argument).

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
🆙 Clete, Specifically this:

Not the 'intellect' part, I agree, rather the 'choice.' I do also agree with you qualified. Perhaps JR wants me to get a second opinion.
There almost has to be a definition of terms issue happening here.

With what do you choose if not your mind?

We in sin have choice. Prior, in the Garden, I believe Adam loved completely and well 'before' he ate of the tree of knowledge.
"Well before"?

Just how long do suppose they went before sinning?

There was no television to while away the hours watching and they were both in perfect physical condition and naked and under orders to multiply and yet no children conceived prior to their fall. Couldn't have been very long at all.

I also believe he was completely 'good' prior to the tree of Good and Evil (because Genesis 1 says). Quick thoughts? (it goes deeper, as to whether 'choice' is simply 'a' carrier of love (my position), or if the tree were necessary to 'create love' in Adam and Eve (at least as I'm understanding Bob Enyart's argument).
I don't see how it could be possible for you to be understanding Bob Enyart's argument. Perhaps you could specify which argument you're referring too because love cannot be created except by the volitional choice of the one doing the loving.

Also, just what is it that you think love is? What does it mean to love someone?

Lon

There almost has to be a definition of terms issue happening here.

With what do you choose if not your mind?

"Well before"?

Just how long do suppose they went before sinning?

There was no television to while away the hours watching and they were both in perfect physical condition and naked and under orders to multiply and yet no children conceived prior to their fall. Couldn't have been very long at all.
LOL, television, that's funny right there!

I'm not sure 'long' does anything to add or detract from the question: Were they made 'loving?' Interesting point with no children. It couldn't have been long. Did Adam 'love' Eve?
I don't see how it could be possible for you to be understanding Bob Enyart's argument. Perhaps you could specify which argument you're referring too because love cannot be created except by the volitional choice of the one doing the loving.
That IS the argument. Did Adam have a 'choice' to love Eve? What would the other choice have been? It couldn't have been "Love Eve OR eat from the tree" I don't think. God saw Adam alone so simply riding a zebra couldn't have been 'other.' Similarly did God the Father love the Son? How? There was no 'other' option. I told RD it is like being a man. I'm a man 'because I am a man.' It doesn't require an other 'to be.' Love seems to be just that: It 'is.' That isn't to say we don't grasp and understand love due to 'choice' but rather I argue at that point it is a carrier of love and its conception as in "This is love, not that we loved God, but that He loves us" and "He who has been forgiven much, loves much." There is no question contrast 'shows' love, but rather whether it is necessary for love to exist. As I answer the above questions, it seems love exists barring choice, just that choice is involved now.
Also, just what is it that you think love is? What does it mean to love someone?
It is a commitment (action, feelings, intent etc.) to another's highest good. In there, it necessarily has to have a bit about the recipient but I haven't come up with a good defining statement to date (you?). Perhaps: "...And the reception, mutual benefit interacted with another."

(sorry thread if we are off topic, won't rabbit trail it for long)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
LOL, television, that's funny right there!
Pretty sure I heard that one from Bob many years ago when he did his Genesis the Fall teaching series.

I'm not sure 'long' does anything to add or detract from the question: Were they made 'loving?' Interesting point with no children. It couldn't have been long. Did Adam 'love' Eve?
Love is the entire purpose of their having been created in the first place. Of course Adam loved Eve.

I do not understand where the question comes from. You aren't supposing that our ability to love came as a result of Adam's fall, are you?

That IS the argument. Did Adam have a 'choice' to love Eve? What would the other choice have been? It couldn't have been "Love Eve OR eat from the tree" I don't think. God saw Adam alone so simply riding a zebra couldn't have been 'other.' Similarly did God the Father love the Son? How? There was no 'other' option. I told RD it is like being a man. I'm a man 'because I am a man.' It doesn't require an other 'to be.' Love seems to be just that: It 'is.' That isn't to say we don't grasp and understand love due to 'choice' but rather I argue at that point it is a carrier of love and its conception as in "This is love, not that we loved God, but that He loves us" and "He who has been forgiven much, loves much." There is no question contrast 'shows' love, but rather whether it is necessary for love to exist. As I answer the above questions, it seems love exists barring choice, just that choice is involved now.
I disagree COMPLETELY!

I don't understand why people (i.e. you aren't the first I've encountered to do something similar) make love such a mystical and overly complicated issue, which is not to say that there are complexities that one could spend a lifetime studying and figuring out but the basics aren't that difficult. Of course, part of the problem is that the English language uses the word "love" to mean all sorts of things that really ought to have their own words but we'll muddle through.

Love, at it's core and in the sense of righteous love toward others, is simply choosing to act, whether in thought, word or deed, in another's best interest. I underline "thought" because it is primary. No word or deed exists prior too the thought that generated it and if one has not yet had any opportunity to act in word or deed but the thought is present in the form of an attitude toward someone that says, "This person is of value to me and I will endeavor to only act for their benefit and not their harm.", then that is love, in thought, if not yet in word or deed.

As for the emotional aspects of love, the affection one feels for a family member or friend, that comes as a result of relationship. It is a consequence of previously made choices.

And as for simple physical attraction, this is not love at all, if you ask me, although it can be a motive for one to move in that direction and may lead to love, it is not, in and of itself, love.

So, yes, Adam loved Eve and yes he chose to do so.

As for whether God loves the Son, it's really hard for me to answer this question, not because the same answer doesn't apply but because the question itself cuddles right up in the nape of the neck of blasphemy. Now, I say that, not to accuse you of blasphemy because I think you're asking it honestly, but because I want to make a strong point here of pointing out that whenever you come across such a question it should set off in your mind some super loud alarm sirens that are screaming at you that you've made one horrendously gigantic mistake in your thinking and that you must stop in your tracks, turn around and reexamine whatever course got you to that place.

It is a commitment (action, feelings, intent etc.) to another's highest good.
What would make you think that either Adam or The Father would not have the choice to not make such a commitment and what would either have have made such a commitment with other than with their mind?

In there, it necessarily has to have a bit about the recipient but I haven't come up with a good defining statement to date (you?). Perhaps: "...And the reception, mutual benefit interacted with another."
I think it gets pretty close except that you including "feelings". Feelings, very often, are a result of previous choices and almost always lag the truth. On those occasions where the emotions come early or even first, they ought not be immediately trusted, at least not fully. Of course, a person with a higher quality of character can more quickly and easily trust his emotions but, again, that's precisely because his quality of character has had the result of producing righteous emotions.

Last edited:

Lon

Pretty sure I heard that one from Bob many years ago when he did his Genesis the Fall teaching series.

Love is the entire purpose of their having been created in the first place. Of course Adam loved Eve.

I do not understand where the question comes from. You aren't supposing that our ability to love came as a result of Adam's fall, are you?

I disagree COMPLETELY!

I don't understand why people (i.e. you aren't the first I've encountered to do something similar) make love such a mystical and overly complicated issue, which is not to say that there are complexities that one could spend a lifetime studying and figuring out but the basics aren't that difficult. Of course, part of the problem is that the English language uses the word "love" to mean all sorts of things that really ought to have their on words but we'll muddle through.
I'm not sure you do disagree completely:
Love, at it's core and in the sense of righteous love toward others, is simply choosing to act, whether in thought, word or deed, in another's best interest.
At this point, it is actually definitions categorized differently. I 'think' the only thing we are really disagreeing on is not so much the definition, but how each plays in the definition. In this case, I believe 'action' is the carrier of love. As I placed it, "Love is a commitment' (state of being that prompts action). Well, you can 'completely' disagree with the categorization, but that is all we are talking about in difference.
I underline "thought" because it is primary. No word or deed exists prior to the thought that generated it and if one has not yet had any opportunity to act in word or deed but the thought is present in the form of an attitude toward someone that says, "This person is of value to me and I will endeavor to only act for their benefit and not their harm.", then that is love, in thought, if not yet in word or deed.
Agree! See, you actually are saying precisely what I was also saying: Love 'not yet' but still love. The premise was simply this: "Choice to do otherwise must exist for love to exist." If you and I are correct, love is love even prior to 'choice' to do something about it.
As for the emotional aspects of love, the affection one feels for a family member or friend, that comes as a result of relationship. It is a consequence of previously made choices.

And as for simple physical attraction, this is not love at all, if you ask me, although it can be a motive for one to move in that direction and may lead to love, it is not, in and of itself, love.
On page. To me, it looks like we agree.
So, yes, Adam loved Eve and yes he chose to do so.
Note with me for posterity, you and I both separate 'choice' as a secondary, though you may need to qualify a disagreement here. I see it as 'the carrier' and the action as 'the expression of.' You might rightly say it isn't love without the carrier and expression thus the conversation is whether the tree needed to be in the Garden for love to exist, and that is where "did Adam love prior" comes from.
As for whether God loves the Son, it's really hard for me to answer this question, not because the same answer doesn't apply but because the question itself cuddles right up in the nape of the neck of blasphemy. Now, I say that, not to accuse you of blasphemy because I think you're asking it honestly, but because I want to make a strong point here of pointing out that whenever you come across such a question it should set off in your mind some super loud alarm sirens that are screaming at you that you've made one horrendously gigantic mistake in your thinking and that you must stop in your tracks, turn around and reexamine whatever course got you to that place.

What would make you think that either Adam or The Father would not have the choice to not make such a commitment and what would either have have made such a commitment with other than with their mind?
So at this point is where I say because God "IS" love. The 'blasphemy' likely comes from not understanding Enyart's argument 'to do otherwise.' Let me explain the hang-up as best as I can: The 'ability to do otherwise' is NOT love by definition thus 'ability to do otherwise' is the hangup. It looks pejorative. Of course the Father only loves. There is no choice to do otherwise because that wouldn't be love (the absence of ).
Eager to see where you go with this from here.
I think it gets pretty close except that you including "feelings". Feelings, very often, are a result of previous choices and almost always lag the truth. On those occasions where the emotions come early or even first, they ought not be immediately trusted, at least not fully. Of course, a person with a higher quality of character can more quickly and easily trust his emotions but, again, that's precisely because his quality of character has had the result of producing righteous emotions.
As I read your post to Fzappa regarding emotion and intellect, I believe I am on page with you. I've always likened feelings to dash-lights in a car. They are there as indicators to be acted upon. If a warning light won't turn off, has to be checked. They are kind of like our third-eye for an indicator of what we previously have thought about a subject/situation like or same and come as a package for reaction, hence my reaction to your other thread that I had to mull for a long time was 'emotional.' While emotions are in the intellect, they are also knee-jerk if you will like reflexes and heart beats. We don't think about those but both are controlled by the mind, just not consciously. I may have to render that more intelligibly but I don't believe emotions are always controlled by the brain, they have a reflex reaction first and especially among women to balance us out as help-meet. Lots here and can take us a bit off topic, but likely worth the segue er Segway.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So at this point is where I say because God "IS" love. The 'blasphemy' likely comes from not understanding Enyart's argument 'to do otherwise.' Let me explain the hang-up as best as I can: The 'ability to do otherwise' is NOT love by definition thus 'ability to do otherwise' is the hangup. It looks pejorative. Of course the Father only loves. There is no choice to do otherwise because that wouldn't be love (the absence of ).
Eager to see where you go with this from here.
You're defeating your own argument.

IF God cannot hate, which the bible says He does about a billion or so times, then He cannot love. If He cannot lie then His honesty is amoral.

I'm reminded of the fact that this very amorality is the foundation of the Calvinist's trust in God - incredible! Anyway, I don't have the time to get off on that rabbit trail! Back to the topic at hand....

Love is a choice - by definition.

That includes, by the way, that part of love that resides entirely in the mind prior to any action. The attitude itself, the "commitment", as you put it, was a chosen act of the mind. Indeed, it is an ongoing choice that does not have to be continued.

As I read your post to Fzappa regarding emotion and intellect, I believe I am on page with you. I've always likened feelings to dash-lights in a car. They are there as indicators to be acted upon. If a warning light won't turn off, has to be checked. They are kind of like our third-eye for an indicator of what we previously have thought about a subject/situation like or same and come as a package for reaction, hence my reaction to your other thread that I had to mull for a long time was 'emotional.' While emotions are in the intellect, they are also knee-jerk if you will like reflexes and heart beats. We don't think about those but both are controlled by the mind, just not consciously. I may have to render that more intelligibly but I don't believe emotions are always controlled by the brain, they have a reflex reaction first and especially among women to balance us out as help-meet. Lots here and can take us a bit off topic, but likely worth the segue er Segway.
I agree that there are emotions that are more instinctive and even reflexive but once again, the more an emotional response is removed from the intellect, the more it has to do with biology (i.e. self protection and reproduction) and the less it has to do with issues of morality or wisdom.

Lon

You're defeating your own argument.

IF God cannot hate, which the bible says He does about a billion or so times, then He cannot love. If He cannot lie then His honesty is amoral.
Not the point I'm aiming at. I'll try again in a moment but as simply as I know how to say this: I've asked whether 'choice' is a necessity for love to exist (that's the whole of this endeavor inquiry, nothing else, though I acquiesce the need for discussion because we 'do' choose and it plays out in 'how' we love. I'm simply trying to say 'choice' shouldn't be part of the definition of love. I 'think' I can demonstrate simply:

Love = Choice I believe is demonstrably false (can be wrong, by the way, I didn't put rebar in the cement and it is still wet)
I'm reminded of the fact that this very amorality is the foundation of the Calvinist's trust in God - incredible! Anyway, I don't have the time to get off on that rabbit trail! Back to the topic at hand....

Love is a choice - by definition.
My proposition: Choice isn't big enough to equal love given above, by definition. Further, even if Enyart didn't go this holistic, he suggests choice is rather 'necessary for love to exist.' I'll post below a scenario with illustration to contest this. Notice I'm NOT saying 'choice' isn't involved in love, it certainly is, but I don't believe it part of the definition of. I'll try to prove it, or at least give plausibility below but certainly I think food for good thought.
That includes, by the way, that part of love that resides entirely in the mind prior to any action. The attitude itself, the "commitment", as you put it, was a chosen act of the mind. Indeed, it is an ongoing choice that does not have to be continued.
🆙 It'd be the 'choice.' I'll try to show at least there is a disconnect in my scenario below.
I agree that there are emotions that are more instinctive and even reflexive but once again, the more an emotional response is removed from the intellect, the more it has to do with biology (i.e. self protection and reproduction) and the less it has to do with issues of morality or wisdom.
Valentines flowers and chocolates

Every year, I send my wife alternating chocolates and flowers on valentine's day.
During Covid or when the chocolates are contaminated I'm stuck with flowers.

One may argue that I've chosen both flowers and chocolates, but when my choice is negated, sending the other is yet a show of love.

Thus, I posit that love is shown in a lack of 'choice.' I'm not arguing that choice is involved in love, just whether it is a good definition of it.

I do know there are a few yellow and red flags on the field so let me give further:

Think about 'choice' for a moment. What causes you to 'choose' chocolates or flowers in the first place? (My contention: love) thus it is the impetus behind choice, not choice itself. IOW Love ≠ Choice.

Clarifying: the choice comes from your values, desires, character, being. IOW, "What" you are is what love is, not what you choose. "Choice" is the outcome of 'who' you are already, a reflection of your values. Because of that I'm never saying 'choice' isn't necessary for instance even between Father and Son, that isn't at all what I'm getting out. I'm rather arguing that it isn't part of Love's definition for accuracy in language and a bit in connection of whether choice is always involved in love's existence specifically because I don't believe it accurate in equation.

My proposition is that Love = Choice is wrong and an inaccurate observation about their relation to one another.

The problem that needs address: in order to 'display' love is choice needed? Specifically if I am defining love accurately do I need to place a choice to do an action in the definition of love or it isn't love? Part of my whole reason for being in thread is to help flesh out 'accurate definition of love' and test whether my original "unselfishly committed to another's highest good" (similar to yours) is accurate and sufficient.

DC Talk came out with a song quipping "Love is a verb." At the time of listening, I questioned whether it was 'only' a verb. Certainly verb is appropriate but in order for scripture to say "God is Love" love has to be a noun as well. The American dictionary starts every line of definition of love as 'a feeling of.' :Z Webster's Affection, attraction, attachment. :Z

Similar to your "Moral God" thread, part of the definition is 'identity' God is Love. not just has, shows, or chooses 'it.' The definition then necessarily is trying to encapsulate accurately the bigger picture and most accurate description of love and thus I've worked away from Love = Choice to 'choice expresses love.' A bit windy, but I hope the gist is apparent.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Valentines flowers and chocolates

Every year, I send my wife alternating chocolates and flowers on valentine's day.
During Covid or when the chocolates are contaminated I'm stuck with flowers.

One may argue that I've chosen both flowers and chocolates, but when my choice is negated, sending the other is yet a show of love.

Thus, I posit that love is shown in a lack of 'choice.' I'm not arguing that choice is involved in love, just whether it is a good definition of it.
I haven't read all the way through yet but at this moment I'm thinking of a hundred different other choices you have. How about if you chose to send neither chocolates nor flowers? Maybe pick a third item or nothing at all.

I do know there are a few yellow and red flags on the field so let me give further:

Think about 'choice' for a moment. What causes you to 'choose' chocolates or flowers in the first place? (My contention: love) thus it is the impetus behind choice, not choice itself. IOW Love ≠ Choice.
No, it isn't the choosing between chocolate or flowers that has to do with love, it is the choice you made to give a gift. Which gift can be touched by the issue of love but if which gift isn't relevant (i.e. that she enjoys either gift equally well or whatever) then that particular choice isn't relevant to the issue of love. It was your decision to give her a gift at all, which you were not required to do (i.e. you could have done otherwise) that was the act of love.

Clarifying: the choice comes from your values, desires, character, being. IOW, "What" you are is what love is, not what you choose.
Tautology. You are what you choose.

Proverbs 23:7a For as he thinks in his heart, so is he....​

"Choice" is the outcome of 'who' you are already, a reflection of your values.
Proverbs 27:19 As in water face reflects face, So a man’s heart reveals the man.​
One's values are chosen.

Because of that I'm never saying 'choice' isn't necessary for instance even between Father and Son, that isn't at all what I'm getting out. I'm rather arguing that it isn't part of Love's definition for accuracy in language and a bit in connection of whether choice is always involved in love's existence specifically because I don't believe it accurate in equation.
I don't think it will work. Any act where doing otherwise was not possible, wasn't an act of love. This is true of any moral action. There can be no such thing as amoral love and morality requires a choice and choice requires that one or more alternatives exist.

My proposition is that Love = Choice is wrong and an inaccurate observation about their relation to one another.
I cannot see any path where such a conclusion could be rationally made.

The problem that needs address: in order to 'display' love is choice needed?
That would be entirely irrelevant because any physical action (i.e a word or deed) is the result of a prior action of the mind. If the mind that conceived the act wasn't free to do otherwise then the action isn't free either.

Specifically if I am defining love accurately do I need to place a choice to do an action in the definition of love or it isn't love? Part of my whole reason for being in thread is to help flesh out 'accurate definition of love' and test whether my original "unselfishly committed to another's highest good" (similar to yours) is accurate and sufficient.
It only approaches accuracy if the possibility of not making such a commitment is real. Could you have done otherwise and decided not to love the woman who became your wife? If you could not have done otherwise then it was not love.

DC Talk came out with a song quipping "Love is a verb." At the time of listening, I questioned whether it was 'only' a verb. Certainly verb is appropriate but in order for scripture to say "God is Love" love has to be a noun as well. The American dictionary starts every line of definition of love as 'a feeling of.' :Z Webster's Affection, attraction, attachment. :Z
Well, this gets us back into the issue I mentioned before where the English language is rubbish when it comes to the topic of love because we use the same four letter word to give a name to several different things.

Similar to your "Moral God" thread, part of the definition is 'identity' God is Love. not just has, shows, or chooses 'it.' The definition then necessarily is trying to encapsulate accurately the bigger picture and most accurate description of love and thus I've worked away from Love = Choice to 'choice expresses love.' A bit windy, but I hope the gist is apparent.
I would say that love as a noun is mostly outside our ability to comprehend. God is Love - true! What precisely does that mean? I don't know. Do you? I mean we can say things like the concept of love derives its meaning and had its ultimate expression in the very essence of the Triune God but even at that, all we've really done there is find a fancier way of saying the same thing. God's existence is quite transcendent from our own. (You wouldn't know that I believe that by talking to most of the Calvinists that I've debated on this website but I definitely do believe it, just not in the mindlessly irrational way that they believe it.) And when God says that "no mind has conceived..." I don't think it gets even half way toward expressing just how mind blowing things will be for us when we see Him face to face.

Also, "love = choice" isn't quite right. That's equivalent to saying "light = energy". Choice is not THE definition of love it is a necessary condition of love. Just as an omelet requires at least one broken egg, so love requires at least one choice. If there's no broken egg, no omelet exists. If there was no choice made, love does not exist.

Last edited:

Lon

I cannot see any path where such a conclusion could be rationally made.
It is still haunting my rational mind: I 'love' (am drawn toward) vanilla. I don't really believe I have a choice nor does it make a whit of difference to an accuracy (granted on the most superficial of love descriptions).
That would be entirely irrelevant because any physical action (i.e a word or deed) is the result of a prior action of the mind. If the mind that conceived the act wasn't free to do otherwise then the action isn't free either.
Isn't this rather talking about 'freedom' rather than 'love?' 🤔 Again it supposes in circular reasoning that "Choice = Love."
It only approaches accuracy if the possibility of not making such a commitment is real.
Let me trouble (or attempt it) your logic: It is assumed a robot (a man by direct association) cannot love specifically 'because' it has no other choice but the logic is importing a fallacy here: The robot hasn't been made to love in the first place. It is in my argument that 'if' you or I had the capacity to create as God does, we theoretically can make a loving robot. IOW, the counter-argument assumes the premise that Love isn't love 'unless' there is choice and borrows from exactly the robot's lack of choice to make the assumption in the first place, that 'robot's cannot love.' Or simply: Robots cannot choose either, one doesn't automatically relegate the other, the connector is we cannot make a robot that does either very well though I'd argue we can place a value that the computer thus 'consistently chooses and/or randomizes' thereafter (dice throws are randomized in programming for instance).

Could you have done otherwise and decided not to love the woman who became your wife? If you could not have done otherwise then it was not love.
No, because long ago I'd made a commitment to love all who are God's but this kind of dialogue often confuses that I'm not saying 'choice' isn't good nor that it doesn't often/most often come into play concerning 'expression' of love. Rather I'm arguing that it often is 'confused' with identity (Again, God is Love doesn't convey God is equally 'choice').
Well, this gets us back into the issue I mentioned before where the English language is rubbish when it comes to the topic of love because we use the same four letter word to give a name to several different things.
🆙
I would say that love as a noun is mostly outside our ability to comprehend. God is Love - true! What precisely does that mean? I don't know. Do you?
No, that's the endeavor however. Thanks for help even if neither of us can do it, we still are called to discover the height depth, and breadth of that which is infinite (no discoverable extent).
I mean we can say things like the concept of love derives its meaning and had its ultimate expression in the very essence of the Triune God but even at that, all we've really done there is find a fancier way of saying the same thing. God's existence is quite transcendent from our own. (You wouldn't know that I believe that by talking to most of the Calvinists that I've debated on this website but I definitely do believe it, just not in the mindlessly irrational way that they believe it.) And when God says that "no mind has conceived..." I don't think it gets even half way toward expressing just how mind blowing things will be for us when we see Him face to face.
Agree. I still think 'trying' can be fruitful. "Eye hath not seen, ear hath not heard" is my Christmas present this year: I've yet to discover the immensity/contents of the package of Christ that I received so long ago.
Also, "love = choice" isn't quite right. That's equivalent to saying "light = energy". Choice is not THE definition of love it is a necessary condition of love. Just as an omelet requires at least one broken egg, so love requires at least one choice. If there's no broken egg, no omelet exists. If there was no choice made, love does not exist.
Yes, this is part of what was troubling, especially any discussion/idea of 'choice to do otherwise.' A genuine love that IS love by definition will never choose 'not love' which is why the crisis in definition in the first place. How do I express "choice between love and love?" Appreciate the reflection and input.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
A genuine love that IS love by definition will never choose 'not love' which is why the crisis in definition in the first place.

"Will never choose" does not mean "no choice present."

If I have a bottle of poison next to me, but have absolutely ZERO desire to commit suicide, it doesn't mean the poison doesn't exist! If the poison was not there/did not exist, then I would have no ability to NOT take the poison (iow be committed to life), because there's no poison to not take.

In the same way, the choice not to love is always present. If the choice not to love doesn't exist, then it's not love. It's a robot running code. IE, not human, not God.