That's incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial, impassible, impeccable, and immutable! - Oct 23 2023

Lon

Whether it needs it or not, "autonomy" means freedom from God's law
🤔 ???

(specifically "self-law"). An autonomous person can have or not have consciousness of others. Consciousness of others can exhibit itself in either love or not love (hate, for instance). I don't see why consciousness of others is somehow imago dei, though I would agree it is a necessary component.
After the Fall, no problem with acquiescing, prior, huge issues.
I don't disagree that the serpent was instrumental, but only as it happened, not as it might have happened.
It is conjecture, we only know what and how it happened and the Serpent was instrumental, so much so that Moses describes him as 'more crafty than all the other beasts.' It has strong connotations against a counter ideology.
Let's do the same thing with "independent". It means:
  • Not governed by a foreign power; self-governing.
  • Free from the influence, guidance, or control of anotheror others; self-reliant.
    "an independent mind."
  • Not determined or influenced by someone or something else; not contingent.

It would not be a good word in those contexts. Independence also carries an idea of 'able to be apart.' None of the above is in mind with what my point is: An imago deo is a sense of 'other' consciousness. That is, it is a sense that "I'm not God, I'm in a relationship as a separate being which requires relationship for commonality. God made Adam, as a sentient being. The freewill model, again, isn't necessary for what I believe Freewill theists are trying to convey. Freewill is under par for the need of conveyance specifically because of the above problematics definition causes. There is no such thing as unrestrained freewill therefore 'free' in the qualifier is and has been a huge problem in theology discussion with those against it.
And free will:
free will, in philosophy and science, the supposed power or capacity of humans to make decisions or perform actions independently of any prior event or state of the universe. (we could add "other entity", but secular definitions don't usually consider that).
Again, there is no such thing. Acts 17:28 John 5:15, Colossians 1:16-20 Philippians 2:13. Further, we are called to 'deny self.' It is against our 'new' (after Fall) nature that needs to self abnegate.
Sometimes the ones you are most like are the ones most annoying to you. Like my son...he gets on my nerves, until I realize he acts like I do (or like I did at one time).
I guarantee this: It isn't what is Christlike in him! It is what isn't!!! We NEVER hate what is Christ-like in another. I guarantee what you love about him is anything that resembles Christ, and that it never, ever, ever, gets on your nerves (unless this is a part where you, in comparison, are convicted, and even yet...
Right.

Yes.

No, He didn't "make man to do otherwise". He "made man capable of doing otherwise". Do you see the difference?

Yes, but I don't buy it. This is why we are in discussion. "To do otherwise" means 'not do God's will.' You've planted us exactly at square one with the assertion. The goal should be to prove, or discuss the merits of disagreement, not end up in circular reasoning. "To do" or 'made capable.' God doesn't empower someone 'to be able to sin.' It is yet the problem, no substantial difference other than 'slightly' less culpable. Imago deo is a stronger position. What it says is man is created with some of God's power, that enables Him to be 'godly' (in His image) on his own when they are apart. The gift is simply an 'ability' only God had, to 'be good without constant connection.' It is what I was driving at by 'independent.' Adam was never totally independent. This is what makes God alone, the only independent, because everything everything everything comes from Him. He is the only entity where this is true. The rest of creation is only a reflection of some aspect of Him and can never be Him. Perhaps this was Satan's fall, that he was made a bit too much like God, that he didn't see the difference. Not a mistake on God's part, but a problem if one loses perspective as a 'dependent' being. This essentially is the point of the Fall of both Satan and man, not the cause, but impetus whereby it happens. It isn't 'an ability' to do otherwise. That was/is created, done, by dependence, not independence. The will, at best, has to be seen as "constrained/made/free" as a descriptor of his original design. He isn't made with a 'switch to do otherwise.' That is created. It is more like an electrician crossing wires, than an actually switch. Man was wired 'to do the will of God.' A rewiring has to happen in order for him to Fall. It is the act of crossing the wires. God rather 'made' the wires correctly. Man and Satan crossed them. It was not God's intent that those wires ever should be messed with thus "do not cross these wires, I know what happens and I don't want it to happen to you!" is akin to "Do not eat of the tree lest on that day you will surely die."
I don't think this is a problem, as long as the direct author is capable of not doing otherwise (sorry for the double negative).
It just makes a positive. They have place in writing to emphasize something. That said, I'd like to hear it again with God and man placed back into the quote. I believe it'd read thus: "I don't think this is a problem as long as the God Himself is capable of not doing otherwise."
So I grasp what you are saying, but I don't grasp 'why.'
I'm sure freewill theists want to describe that as much as others, but that's not the emphasis, as far as I understand. In other words, the use of free will to describe humans is an attempt to explain why they sin,
After the Fall, yes, because their relationship with God is fully broken. Back to the wire crossing analogy: It is when the wires are 'not' crossed that they are connected to the Source, God. "Free" is actually 'free falling' free-dying' at this point after sin. We are free 'from' life and the source of life. There is a residual electricity left in the system, by analogy, so man 'surely died' but doesn't grasp this well because he has about 120 years of current left, but without connection to God, he(she) has an expiration. Man would have been 'free-er' under God, because He was still plugged in and could/would have done more 'free things.' "Free" then is for the ride and not the best descriptor, in this analogy. It seems to me, the analogy helps explain why 'free' in both cases is problematic. It makes incredibly better sense to me. Again, it is using the freewill argument, that I see this in the first place. Until now, I've never entertained the idea. It may yet have holes, but it looks good on paper at this venture, and I think it does a better job for discussion, in a way not open before. I'd be surprised if nobody ever discussed these specific thoughts before, but to date, I haven't seen anything similar but I've only been on this vein for a week now.
when God made them good. The image of God doesn't have to come into play. They were made good, they sinned, end of story.
It may be for you. The problem is in the details of 'capable of doing otherwise.' Certainly they 'were' capable or wouldn't have fallen. Intricate to the story is the 'crafty serpent.' It took one who knew what would happen, like the kid who tells the other kid to jam a paperclip into the light socket.
Do humans have the capability to have relationship with beings that are NOT in the image of man? Of course they do. "Dogs are man's best friend."
Your relationship with your dog isn't imago deo. Your relationship with God is. I'm confused by even the entrance of the thought of dogs at this venture. It seems a fly ball in left field or out of the park altogether. I'm not sure how I'd say it with electric currents, other than 'that's DC, we are talking about AC.
I think you are misunderstanding. The ability to choose so or not so is merely descriptive of the way any relationship works. Is not the goal, just a description. And any relationship that doesn't work that way is not really a relationship (in the love, category, at least).
Actually, I'm saying Freewill theists are doing the confusing: They are mistaking imago deo (wired one way) with an 'ability' to rewire. Certainly Adam is 'capable' of doing the act, that isn't what we are talking about. We are rather talking about if he is made with any kind of inkling whatsoever to 'want' to mess with his own wiring. Because "Now, the serpent was more crafty than any other beast" is given so clearly, the 'idea' doesn't come from Adam. He isn't made with an 'idea' to rewire. It also, by analogy answers the question: Does Adam 'need' to rewire to be connected to God? Absolutely not. In this sense, free will implies God saying "sure, you an rewire, but you aren't going to like it." That would be 'free' will/decision.' That is problematic. Rather, man is created with an 'ability' but no inclination to 'rewire.' Satan, in speculation, would have been made more independent ('free' not the best term, nor the above three definitions). It only is said to mean a 'sense of self.' Satan, unlike us, didn't surely die. It wasn't his point of sin. Some other kind of sin because he has to be thrown in the Lake of Fire and has no expiration date. It means Satan had to fall in a different manner, in my estimation.
Are you saying God has always been required by some outside force to love us? Of course God can "not-love" us.
Whatever 'common sense' you have is not in my workchest. He is 'required' as you speak, by His own nature in the same way He 'cannot disown Himself and is faithful.' Example: I am a man. There is no way I'm going to be a woman. Why? Because my 'nature' is man. It is as simple as this. In the same manner, God is Love 1 John tells us clearly. When something is your identity, that is what you do. You'll never convince me (because there is no verse in all of scripture) that God isn't love or can 'not love.' "He is willing that none should perish." The same one who tells you to 'love your enemies and do good to them' command this out of His own nature and being.

The "Of course God can 'not love' us is beyond any thing I know of reality. For me, it is 'of course God cannot stop being God, therefore He is faithful, and loves." You might ask 'is throwing Satan into the Lake of Fire, loving?' My answer is 'yes.' Maybe not for Satan, because God cannot love 'not-love' by the same token of logical reasoning. Some of these question become above my paygrade, but I do not at all believe God can or would change His nature. It is partly where immutability comes into play: God cannot change, at least in nature, and every open theist I've talked to believes the same thing in regard to a 'qualified' immutability. IOW, most of them agree with me regarding God's nature as unchangeable.
Of course God didn't have to send His son to be the savior of sinful man.
I believe the exact opposite else He would have answered His Son in the garden and taken the cup away. He could not stop being God, even then, and because of His nature, Christ was crucified 'from the foundation of the world.' My answer has to be a qualified 'no, you aren't correct' from everything I've ever learned in scripture.

Of course Jesus didn't have to agree to die for us. But because God did...because Jesus did..., we have hope. Why would you say God cannot "not-love" us?
Because I disagree strongly and emphatically with you!
My answer is a resounding "NO"...or at least love can't exist in the future without the ability to "not-love".
Much like the electric current analogy, plugged in carries with it all the things that come with 'being plugged in.' In essence you are arguing that wires 'must be crossed' as well as a consistent duality (evil) to be in the universe for good to exist. I've long rejected that because Revelation 20 clearly says all (all) sickness, tears, and sadness will be 'wiped away.' In short: It will not exist. Granted you cannot conceive of such a thing, but I believe scriptures speak of it exactly this way. It is why the wolf will lie down with the lamb. How will a wolf survive without meat? (it is an analogy, trying to explain clearly that evil is going to be entirely wiped out, forever). Moreover, imagine a world where you will not 'choose' to love me, but 'in which fashion' you will choose to display an attitude that will and can never be selfish again. In finality, I will never struggle with hurting you or any brother or sister in Christ again. Robot? Hardly. I'll never 'want' that 'switch' in wiring again. Read 1 John 3:2 "When we see Him, we will be like Him, because will see Him as He is." Old you, that 'can choose to sin' will be gone. The switch will be forever gone. Automaton? Hardly, it will be everything I've ever dreamed of and hoped for. I don't 'want' to do 'my' thing ever after this. I'd hate myself (and rightly so) to have any desire, for eternity, for a 'switch to do otherwise.' I will, necessarily, love better because I'll be plugged into nothing "but' love without any need whatsoever for the contrast. Perhaps we will remember, barely, what it was like as a contrast, but what would be the point or need, then? To relive a not-so-loving past when I'm finally doing it all perfectly? My whole desire is to never want sin again. Shoot, put my wires in an impenetrable box! I never want them crossed again. Thus 'desire' is a better descriptor and contrast to love, than 'not-love' is. Not love has no place and no meaning.

But I'll agree that there won't be any exercising of "not-love" then.
Halfway there. 🆙
I don't see that the ability is the issue, rather that we will have all seen that love is the best way to relate to both God and man, and have all decided to only and always choose to love...even though we could choose otherwise.
Look, when it is SO unapproachable and detestable, it is odd that you even will want the contrast to reflect upon. It will make a lousy counter to love, when love is all you want to do. The more time you spend thinking, even, about things 'not-loving' will be a complete waste of time.
I don't think I ever said it did. And autonomy seems like the greater evil, since it is defined as following your own law. Freewill at least allows one to follow God's commands.
Because it is necessary after the fall. Of course in Christ, the law of liberty (freedom) is when you actually do have freedom. ONLY "He whom Christ sets free, is free indeed!" Isn't it odd, to freewill theology, that freedom as a gift and definition, is only prior to the Fall and after being a new creation in Christ? It isn't the choice to do otherwise that should get any glory, it is the choice to be 'in Christ.' When 1 John 3:2, we will love like Christ, finally.
No, we don't. We believe God "does love us", and that means "He can do otherwise."
You'll have to keep it. I've completely rejected this 'will to do otherwise.' Jesus in the Garden wanted to do otherwise but incredibly clearly "not My will, but Thine. It wasn't the choice 'to do otherwise' that signalled love, but the 'choice to do' that is what love is all about. Do you and I appreciate His love because we understand 'to do otherwise?' Yes, but even without the struggle, simply doing it shows love. IOW, the contrast, at this point in time, where we are not in the center of knowing love, helps us move more into the bullseye of what it actually is, but once in a thing, the contrast is no longer needed. It rather helps you reach the target and will one day be unnecessary. I don't believe in a yin/yang universe and the promises in scripture steer far from the presence nor need of evil for contrasts.

Let me give a today analogy: I do the dishes for you at your house. You will feel loved and absolutely do not need 'I could have done otherwise' to feel loved. Love is its own expression. "If" I had something to do when I did the dishes, and you see something of a greater sacrifice, well and good for your 'appreciation level' but that isn't the same thing as needing the contrast to feel loved. I assert you do not! It is totally unnecessary that you know 'I could have done otherwise.' Rather it is the act of obedience, alone, that comes from the center of what love is, that is the thing.
This fits with the "switch" I proposed earlier. A switch from "innocent" to "guilty". When you say "man wasn't made with that as a switch", you're going back to saying that Satan was the one that flipped the switch. I don't think that's true, because if it were, then Jesus, also made without that switch, who was also tempted by Satan, would have flipped as well. The power to flip a switch rested with the person, not in Satan. The difference is that Adam "flipped his own switch" (succumbed to temptation), but Jesus didn't.
Better is crossed wires, never made to be crossed and dangerous to do so. We were made 'able' to cross wires by power, but with no inclination, simply a warning "don't cross these wires, don't eat of that tree."
I'm losing your point.
An electrician is the only one that should monkey with wires. God had the knowledge of Good and Evil (what would happen if you put a paperclip into a light socket).
I think you're making this more difficult than it needs to be, and it's from some presupposition you have that you can't seem to shake.

Would you like to ask some of us if that's the "freewill point"? I think it's not.
No, I've already rejected the freewill premise because of all the implication we've more than sufficiently covered. If this part of the conversation has left you out, then we can be done. I believe at this venture 'freewill' is shoddy description and problematic for good theology. Granted now, that the majority of theists are 'freewill' theist, my years of reading 'deny self' passages have me ever looking at problematics of elevating myself, my choices, and my 'freedom' on any par with 'how I was made.' I was made by and for the Potter (Romans 9, Jeremiah). I am His non-autonomous vessel and 'choice' has a lot of issues. Yes I choose but everytime, (every time) 'obedience' would have been better thus my position is and has been a long time "how do I thwart freewill and rather simply do one thing: follow Christ. I hate the dilemma that has me 'wanting to do the good I know to do and not doing it" (Romans 7) and 'knowing what I shouldn't, and this I do! Who will save me from this body of wrath!!!" when I first read Paul, this was ever the desire, then 'not my will but thine' and 'die to self and take up my cross and follow.' Literally, 'free will to do otherwise' is 'why' I'm in a sin mess practically, with a desire to daily follow Christ and love one another. It comes as a 'negation' of freewill, not an exercise of it, else I'd be 'free to do otherwise.' Thus, "the love of Christ 'CONSTRAINS' us, and freewill 'may' give some appreciation of the presence of love, but it certainly doesn't define it. In Him -Lon

Gary K

Banned
Why do you deny what Scripture plainly says?

Hebrews 4:14-16:
Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Jesus was, in fact, tempted in all points as we are.

You sound like you're trying to give yourself some sort of excuse for some of your sin.

That's not a good thing.
I'd like to point out the temptations of Jesus in the wilderness.

Matthew 4: 1 THEN was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

I don't know that I've ever been tempted to turn stones into bread. Has anyone else ever been tempted to do this?

In a prophecy of the coming Messiah it says this.

Psalm 45: 7 Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

How many of us hate wickedness? So how was Jesus tempted in all points as we are? So what were the temptations of Jesus? To go it alone. To separate Himself from His Father's power and do it Himself. He had the innate divine power to do that. He lived His entire life of not sinning through His Father's power. How else could the Bible be true about the wilderness temptations? Could you be tempted to throw yourself off a cliff? I'm not and yet the devil tempted Jesus that way. How? He had the power to save Himself. He didn't need anyone to save Him.

That is how our temptations work too. To separate ourselves from the power of God to live a righteous life and do it on our own dime, our own power.

Derf

🤔 ???

After the Fall, no problem with acquiescing, prior, huge issues.

It is conjecture, we only know what and how it happened and the Serpent was instrumental, so much so that Moses describes him as 'more crafty than all the other beasts.' It has strong connotations against a counter ideology.

It would not be a good word in those contexts. Independence also carries an idea of 'able to be apart.' None of the above is in mind with what my point is: An imago deo is a sense of 'other' consciousness. That is, it is a sense that "I'm not God, I'm in a relationship as a separate being which requires relationship for commonality. God made Adam, as a sentient being. The freewill model, again, isn't necessary for what I believe Freewill theists are trying to convey. Freewill is under par for the need of conveyance specifically because of the above problematics definition causes. There is no such thing as unrestrained freewill therefore 'free' in the qualifier is and has been a huge problem in theology discussion with those against it.

Again, there is no such thing. Acts 17:28 John 5:15, Colossians 1:16-20 Philippians 2:13. Further, we are called to 'deny self.' It is against our 'new' (after Fall) nature that needs to self abnegate.

I guarantee this: It isn't what is Christlike in him! It is what isn't!!! We NEVER hate what is Christ-like in another. I guarantee what you love about him is anything that resembles Christ, and that it never, ever, ever, gets on your nerves (unless this is a part where you, in comparison, are convicted, and even yet...

Yes, but I don't buy it. This is why we are in discussion. "To do otherwise" means 'not do God's will.' You've planted us exactly at square one with the assertion. The goal should be to prove, or discuss the merits of disagreement, not end up in circular reasoning. "To do" or 'made capable.' God doesn't empower someone 'to be able to sin.' It is yet the problem, no substantial difference other than 'slightly' less culpable. Imago deo is a stronger position. What it says is man is created with some of God's power, that enables Him to be 'godly' (in His image) on his own when they are apart. The gift is simply an 'ability' only God had, to 'be good without constant connection.' It is what I was driving at by 'independent.' Adam was never totally independent. This is what makes God alone, the only independent, because everything everything everything comes from Him. He is the only entity where this is true. The rest of creation is only a reflection of some aspect of Him and can never be Him. Perhaps this was Satan's fall, that he was made a bit too much like God, that he didn't see the difference. Not a mistake on God's part, but a problem if one loses perspective as a 'dependent' being. This essentially is the point of the Fall of both Satan and man, not the cause, but impetus whereby it happens. It isn't 'an ability' to do otherwise. That was/is created, done, by dependence, not independence. The will, at best, has to be seen as "constrained/made/free" as a descriptor of his original design. He isn't made with a 'switch to do otherwise.' That is created. It is more like an electrician crossing wires, than an actually switch. Man was wired 'to do the will of God.' A rewiring has to happen in order for him to Fall. It is the act of crossing the wires. God rather 'made' the wires correctly. Man and Satan crossed them. It was not God's intent that those wires ever should be messed with thus "do not cross these wires, I know what happens and I don't want it to happen to you!" is akin to "Do not eat of the tree lest on that day you will surely die."

It just makes a positive. They have place in writing to emphasize something. That said, I'd like to hear it again with God and man placed back into the quote. I believe it'd read thus: "I don't think this is a problem as long as the God Himself is capable of not doing otherwise."
So I grasp what you are saying, but I don't grasp 'why.'

After the Fall, yes, because their relationship with God is fully broken. Back to the wire crossing analogy: It is when the wires are 'not' crossed that they are connected to the Source, God. "Free" is actually 'free falling' free-dying' at this point after sin. We are free 'from' life and the source of life. There is a residual electricity left in the system, by analogy, so man 'surely died' but doesn't grasp this well because he has about 120 years of current left, but without connection to God, he(she) has an expiration. Man would have been 'free-er' under God, because He was still plugged in and could/would have done more 'free things.' "Free" then is for the ride and not the best descriptor, in this analogy. It seems to me, the analogy helps explain why 'free' in both cases is problematic. It makes incredibly better sense to me. Again, it is using the freewill argument, that I see this in the first place. Until now, I've never entertained the idea. It may yet have holes, but it looks good on paper at this venture, and I think it does a better job for discussion, in a way not open before. I'd be surprised if nobody ever discussed these specific thoughts before, but to date, I haven't seen anything similar but I've only been on this vein for a week now.

It may be for you. The problem is in the details of 'capable of doing otherwise.' Certainly they 'were' capable or wouldn't have fallen. Intricate to the story is the 'crafty serpent.' It took one who knew what would happen, like the kid who tells the other kid to jam a paperclip into the light socket.

Your relationship with your dog isn't imago deo. Your relationship with God is. I'm confused by even the entrance of the thought of dogs at this venture. It seems a fly ball in left field or out of the park altogether. I'm not sure how I'd say it with electric currents, other than 'that's DC, we are talking about AC.

Actually, I'm saying Freewill theists are doing the confusing: They are mistaking imago deo (wired one way) with an 'ability' to rewire. Certainly Adam is 'capable' of doing the act, that isn't what we are talking about. We are rather talking about if he is made with any kind of inkling whatsoever to 'want' to mess with his own wiring. Because "Now, the serpent was more crafty than any other beast" is given so clearly, the 'idea' doesn't come from Adam. He isn't made with an 'idea' to rewire. It also, by analogy answers the question: Does Adam 'need' to rewire to be connected to God? Absolutely not. In this sense, free will implies God saying "sure, you an rewire, but you aren't going to like it." That would be 'free' will/decision.' That is problematic. Rather, man is created with an 'ability' but no inclination to 'rewire.' Satan, in speculation, would have been made more independent ('free' not the best term, nor the above three definitions). It only is said to mean a 'sense of self.' Satan, unlike us, didn't surely die. It wasn't his point of sin. Some other kind of sin because he has to be thrown in the Lake of Fire and has no expiration date. It means Satan had to fall in a different manner, in my estimation.

Whatever 'common sense' you have is not in my workchest. He is 'required' as you speak, by His own nature in the same way He 'cannot disown Himself and is faithful.' Example: I am a man. There is no way I'm going to be a woman. Why? Because my 'nature' is man. It is as simple as this. In the same manner, God is Love 1 John tells us clearly. When something is your identity, that is what you do. You'll never convince me (because there is no verse in all of scripture) that God isn't love or can 'not love.' "He is willing that none should perish." The same one who tells you to 'love your enemies and do good to them' command this out of His own nature and being.
Yes, but He is not controlled by His nature. He directs His nature. In other words, God wasn't made with some over-riding force in His character that causes Him to always love...He loves.
The "Of course God can 'not love' us is beyond any thing I know of reality.
Right. Because He never ceases to love us, but not because He cannot cease to love us.
For me, it is 'of course God cannot stop being God, therefore He is faithful, and loves." You might ask 'is throwing Satan into the Lake of Fire, loving?' My answer is 'yes.' Maybe not for Satan, because God cannot love 'not-love' by the same token of logical reasoning.
In other words, God does "not-love" some, including one of those who was at one time called a "son of Elohim". God can turn off love for "the wicked", right, and throw them in the lake of fire? But you made the proper distinction when you pointed out that those who aren't willing to love their neighbors aren't going to be loved by God.
Some of these question become above my paygrade, but I do not at all believe God can or would change His nature.
Part of His nature is to judge those who refuse to bow the knee to Him. His judgment results in destruction.

It is partly where immutability comes into play: God cannot change, at least in nature, and every open theist I've talked to believes the same thing in regard to a 'qualified' immutability. IOW, most of them agree with me regarding God's nature as unchangeable.

I believe the exact opposite else He would have answered His Son in the garden and taken the cup away.
In other words, because God so loved us, He gave His only begotten Son. But not "because His nature forced Him to."
He could not stop being God, even then, and because of His nature, Christ was crucified 'from the foundation of the world.'
Again, Christ wasn't crucified because of His nature. Christ was crucified 'from the foundation of the world', because He loved us from the foundation of the world. And if the cup wasn't able to be taken away when He was in the garden, it was, for some reason, unable to be taken away at the foundation of the world.
My answer has to be a qualified 'no, you aren't correct' from everything I've ever learned in scripture.

Because I disagree strongly and emphatically with you!

Much like the electric current analogy, plugged in carries with it all the things that come with 'being plugged in.' In essence you are arguing that wires 'must be crossed' as well as a consistent duality (evil) to be in the universe for good to exist.
Was it good for God to create humankind? Would it have been good for God if He decided Not to create humankind? I think the answer is Yes to both questions. He was never forced to create humankind. He could have not created and been just as perfectly God and good. Once He created mankind--in His image--He started down a path that resulted in the cross, and He knew it, of course.
I've long rejected that because Revelation 20 clearly says all (all) sickness, tears, and sadness will be 'wiped away.' In short: It will not exist. Granted you cannot conceive of such a thing,
I don't understand why you would say I cannot. My soul longs for that as much as yours. I'm just saying that we don't become robots then any more than we are robots now. We will still be men, still be in the image of God, and God isn't a robot.
but I believe scriptures speak of it exactly this way. It is why the wolf will lie down with the lamb. How will a wolf survive without meat? (it is an analogy, trying to explain clearly that evil is going to be entirely wiped out, forever). Moreover, imagine a world where you will not 'choose' to love me, but 'in which fashion' you will choose to display an attitude that will and can never be selfish again. In finality, I will never struggle with hurting you or any brother or sister in Christ again. Robot? Hardly. I'll never 'want' that 'switch' in wiring again.
Here's where you repeat the same concept I've been voicing. But it isn't a switch like that.
Read 1 John 3:2 "When we see Him, we will be like Him, because will see Him as He is." Old you, that 'can choose to sin' will be gone. The switch will be forever gone. Automaton? Hardly, it will be everything I've ever dreamed of and hoped for. I don't 'want' to do 'my' thing ever after this.
In other words, your will is finally aligned with God's. Not by force, but by willing it, finally. Paul talked about already willing such, but not being able to accomplish it yet.
[Rom 7:18 KJV] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.

I'd hate myself (and rightly so) to have any desire, for eternity, for a 'switch to do otherwise.'
You won't, because that old man is dead.
I will, necessarily, love better because I'll be plugged into nothing "but' love without any need whatsoever for the contrast. Perhaps we will remember, barely, what it was like as a contrast, but what would be the point or need, then? To relive a not-so-loving past when I'm finally doing it all perfectly? My whole desire is to never want sin again.
You won't, because that old man is dead. But you already have that desire ("will"), just not the ability to perform it. Something broke in the Garden. It will be fixed, with memory (my thought, anyway) of what great cost that first (and following) sin extracted,
Shoot, put my wires in an impenetrable box! I never want them crossed again. Thus 'desire' is a better descriptor and contrast to love, than 'not-love' is. Not love has no place and no meaning.

Halfway there. 🆙

Look, when it is SO unapproachable and detestable, it is odd that you even will want the contrast to reflect upon. It will make a lousy counter to love, when love is all you want to do. The more time you spend thinking, even, about things 'not-loving' will be a complete waste of time.
I'm not planning on thinking about it. Why would I, as you point out?
Because it is necessary after the fall. Of course in Christ, the law of liberty (freedom) is when you actually do have freedom. ONLY "He whom Christ sets free, is free indeed!" Isn't it odd, to freewill theology, that freedom as a gift and definition, is only prior to the Fall and after being a new creation in Christ? It isn't the choice to do otherwise that should get any glory, it is the choice to be 'in Christ.'
Who's trying to give glory to a choice to do otherwise? Not me. I'm just saying it exists. I believe you're the one that wants it to be put up on a pedestal, mainly so you can knock it down.
When 1 John 3:2, we will love like Christ, finally.

You'll have to keep it. I've completely rejected this 'will to do otherwise.'
Whose quote is that referring to? I've said nothing, I believe, about a 'will to do otherwise' in God. Of course He has no will to do otherwise when it comes to loving us. It's an ability, not a will, to do otherwise.
Jesus in the Garden wanted to do otherwise but incredibly clearly "not My will, but Thine. It wasn't the choice 'to do otherwise' that signalled love, but the 'choice to do' that is what love is all about. Do you and I appreciate His love because we understand 'to do otherwise?' Yes, but even without the struggle, simply doing it shows love. IOW, the contrast, at this point in time, where we are not in the center of knowing love, helps us move more into the bullseye of what it actually is, but once in a thing, the contrast is no longer needed. It rather helps you reach the target and will one day be unnecessary. I don't believe in a yin/yang universe and the promises in scripture steer far from the presence nor need of evil for contrasts.

Let me give a today analogy: I do the dishes for you at your house. You will feel loved and absolutely do not need 'I could have done otherwise' to feel loved.
Not true. I don't love my automatic dishwasher. I don't see it as something that could NOT do the dishes, except when it breaks, and then I throw it out. I don't love my dishwasher.
Love is its own expression. "If" I had something to do when I did the dishes, and you see something of a greater sacrifice, well and good for your 'appreciation level' but that isn't the same thing as needing the contrast to feel loved. I assert you do not! It is totally unnecessary that you know 'I could have done otherwise.' Rather it is the act of obedience, alone, that comes from the center of what love is, that is the thing.
"Obedience" means there's the possibility of "disobedience".
Better is crossed wires, never made to be crossed and dangerous to do so. We were made 'able' to cross wires by power, but with no inclination, simply a warning "don't cross these wires, don't eat of that tree."

An electrician is the only one that should monkey with wires. God had the knowledge of Good and Evil (what would happen if you put a paperclip into a light socket).

No, I've already rejected the freewill premise because of all the implication we've more than sufficiently covered. If this part of the conversation has left you out, then we can be done. I believe at this venture 'freewill' is shoddy description and problematic for good theology.
I'm "open" to a different term.
Granted now, that the majority of theists are 'freewill' theist, my years of reading 'deny self' passages have me ever looking at problematics of elevating myself, my choices, and my 'freedom' on any par with 'how I was made.' I was made by and for the Potter (Romans 9, Jeremiah). I am His non-autonomous vessel and 'choice' has a lot of issues. Yes I choose but everytime, (every time) 'obedience' would have been better thus my position is and has been a long time "how do I thwart freewill and rather simply do one thing: follow Christ.
Maybe that's your problem...you keep trying to thwart something God gave you that was good (wrench), but used badly (hammer).
I hate the dilemma that has me 'wanting to do the good I know to do and not doing it" (Romans 7) and 'knowing what I shouldn't, and this I do! Who will save me from this body of wrath!!!" when I first read Paul, this was ever the desire, then 'not my will but thine'
Because it wasn't aligned with His.
and 'die to self and take up my cross and follow.'
This is how to align it with His.
Literally, 'free will to do otherwise'
"die to self"
is 'why' I'm in a sin mess practically, with a desire to daily follow Christ and love one another. It comes as a 'negation' of freewill, not an exercise of it, else I'd be 'free to do otherwise.' Thus, "the love of Christ 'CONSTRAINS' us, and freewill 'may' give some appreciation of the presence of love, but it certainly doesn't define it. In Him -Lon
I think that's all I'm (we're?) saying. It has to be taken into account, but "obedience" is how we show love to Him, not "disobedience".

Blessings,
Derf.