จับเสีอมือเปล่า

Khunying

Use this example: You encounter a man laying in the gutter. He's been beaten badly and left for dead. What do you do? Why? How was the man laying in the gutter useful to you, or how was he not useful to you?
Nope, I refuse. There is no way you can achieve the kind of detail and subjective mental states that I use in real life. So it's just going to be me making up and filling in things, which defeats the whole purpose.

Seriously, this line of inquiry is pointless. I deal with people the same way I deal with chairs; through some convoluted psychological process, hermeneutical reasoning, learned triggers, conscious plans and backwards rationalizations I some how or another decide upon one action or another. And that is all I will speak of, because jabbering about 'how I would decide' in a situation empty of these factors (i.e., not real) is just a pointless exercise in fantasy mongering. You want to know, beat a guy to a pulp and throw him in front of my house. Then you'll find out.

elohiym

Nope, I refuse. There is no way you can achieve the kind of detail and subjective mental states that I use in real life.

Then provide an example of an actual situation that would give me insight into the criteria you use to determine a person's usefulness to you. That should be simple enough.

I suspect that you don't have a sound criteria for deciding the usefulness of people. Therefore, it is possible that in a population where 30% of people had the potential to be useful to you, you may only be taking advantage of 2% of the people you could be taking advantage of with a sound criteria.

Khunying

I suspect that you don't have a sound criteria for deciding the usefulness of people. Therefore, it is possible that in a population where 30% of people had the potential to be useful to you, you may only be taking advantage of 2% of the people you could be taking advantage of with a sound criteria.
You can suspect anything you like, but the fact is that I don't care and it's not worth my time to bother finding out. Maybe my neighbor is a great guy. Don't care. Chances are he'd bore me, so I'm not going to talk to him. Am I possibly missing out? Sure. That's what happens with every action you take: you don't do something else, and who knows if it might have paid millions. Chances are, though, it wouldn't.

It's also ridiculous how you single out people, as though they were different from cats or automobiles. Who knows how great that car might be if I bought it? I don't care. I don't want a car so I am not interested in investigating them, and that theoretical great car can go drive into a river for all it matters to me.

Stop trying to covertly insert your delusions of human importance onto me, it's obnoxious. You can just treat me like anyone else and assume I have some vague idea of what I want, and if I don't, neither do you. It's pure hubris to psychologize and project like you are. I will not be condescended to and you will rapidly find yourself in the junk heap with all the worthless and irrelevant people out there.

This is how it always is with you Norms. You just assume everyone has to secretly share your fetishes. An absence is not a lack. Just because someone doesn't care about what you care about doesn't mean they are 'missing out'.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You miscomprehend the original statement: I say I would do what pleases me even if it resulted in suffering and destruction. However I will say that if it did please me to mete out pain that I would do so.

Why do you do what pleases you despite it causing suffering for others?

How did you come to have a nihilistic worldview?

1PeaceMaker

The same way I do with anything else, I assess whether they can be of use to me; though usually I just ignore them as I do the countless pebbles and blades of grass I pass by.

And some people collect the pebbles, feed the grass, and enjoy the scenery they create.

elohiym

You can suspect anything you like, but the fact is that I don't care and it's not worth my time to bother finding out.

So is this what you are going to do when you are cornered in discussions, punt? If so, it's good you don't care what people think of your integrity or your ability to argue.

Maybe my neighbor is a great guy. Don't care. Chances are he'd bore me, so I'm not going to talk to him. Am I possibly missing out? Sure. That's what happens with every action you take: you don't do something else, and who knows if it might have paid millions. Chances are, though, it wouldn't.

Self-talk isn't a substitute for a sound criteria.

It's also ridiculous how you single out people, as though they were different from cats or automobiles.

Human society is biologically determined. Are you designed to have a cat or a car? No. Are you designed to have a mate, family, and friends? I am.

Khunying

Don't quit your day-job.
How infantile. Consider yourself a non-entity.
So is this what you are going to do when you are cornered in discussions, punt? If so, it's good you don't care what people think of your integrity or your ability to argue.
This is how I respond to inane questions with obvious answers. I am not at your beck and call. You either can not or will not understand, in either case, I don't care.
Human society is biologically determined.
No it's not. As influential as biology is it is highly variable. Ever heard of a sociopath? Often, 'friends' infuriate them. They'd be better off as hermits.
Moreover, the laws of society are logical laws that have to do with intentional behavior. Don't confuse evolutionary and social psychology with society. Society is a whole different animal, and even if everyone hated one another we could still have a society.
Are you designed to have a cat or a car? No.
No one is 'designed' for anything. Evolution is not teleological. It reinforces tendencies and generates combinations of learned and inherited traits which often operate at cross purposes. You don't understand how evolutionary psychology works, please stop pretending you do. La sagesse populaire est la sagesse des fous.
Are you designed to have a mate, family, and friends? I am.
No, you're not.
That's good. What was your thought process?
Not something I'm interested in explaining on a message board. Read Max Stirner's The Ego and Its Own. Found it a couple years ago, reflects my views quite well; and he writes much better than I do.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Not something I'm interested in explaining on a message board. Read Max Stirner's The Ego and Its Own. Found it a couple years ago, reflects my views quite well; and he writes much better than I do.

Fair enough. :wave2:

Khunying

Which means that you're an adult now? How did you come to be educated in Austrian economics, etc.?
I'm one score and one year old.
As far as Austrian econ, I bought a bunch of books from Mises, listened to every lecture on their website and read a bunch of issues of the magazines they have archived there. I also frequent FEE.