250 of 1000 so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greywolf

Originally posted by Knight

Association with what?

Your answer leads me to believe you may still be missing the point. :(

Associating a certain pattern of electrochemical signals with an actual "image".

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Greywolf

Associating a certain pattern of electrochemical signals with an actual "image".
It seems to me you are simply substituting the word "decoding" with the word "association".

Greywolf

It seems to me you are simply substituting the word "decoding" with the word "association".

When I see someone say that the brain "decodes" something, I think that it means that the brain is somehow manipulating the information to change it into a different format. Is that how the word is being used, or am I off?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

When I see someone say that the brain "decodes" something, I think that it means that the brain is somehow manipulating the information to change it into a different format. Is that how the word is being used, or am I off?
I am not exactly sure if I know what you mean. "different format"?

Greywolf

I am not exactly sure if I know what you mean. "different format"?

As you can see, I'm not the most lingually talented person around. I'm having trouble putting the idea in words. :(

When you've been using the word "decode" in this thread, did you mean that the information sent from the eyes is somehow changed or manipulated?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

As you can see, I'm not the most lingually talented person around. I'm having trouble putting the idea in words. :(

When you've been using the word "decode" in this thread, did you mean that the information sent from the eyes is somehow changed or manipulated?
Well clearly you don't think the image one is viewing is simply projected onto the brain through a little whole in your eye do you???? :think:

Sorta like a mini drive in shown upon the ol' grey matter. :D

And since I am guessing your smart enough to understand it works differently than that.... you have to agree that the image that comes into the eye must be processed in some way..... like a stream of data and then the brain reads or "decodes" that data into our mental image of what we see.

Do we agree so far?

If not... where do you disagree?

jhodgeiii

Furthermore, I recall one of my high school teachers telling the class that experiments have been done where people wore special glasses that inverted everything, but after a day or two the people once again saw everything right side up. If this isn't urban legend, then this definitely proves image processing of some sort is happening in the brain.

Greywolf

Well clearly you don't think the image one is viewing is simply projected onto the brain through a little whole in your eye do you???? :think:

Sorta like a mini drive in shown upon the ol' grey matter. :D

If only it were that simple.

And since I am guessing your smart enough to understand it works differently than that.... you have to agree that the image that comes into the eye must be processed in some way..... like a stream of data and then the brain reads or "decodes" that data into our mental image of what we see.

Do we agree so far?

If not... where do you disagree?

I agree that the image that comes into the eye has to be translated into electrochemical signals. Is this what you mean by "processed"?

I also agree that the brain recieves these electrochemical signals.

But I do disagree that the brain the brain then decodes the data into an image. Going back to the computer analogy...
When you type in an "A" into the computer, the keyboard (eye) tranlates that "A" into binary code (electrochemical signal). But when that binary code reaches the computer (brain), it doesn't translate that binary code (electrochemical signals) back into an "A". It recognizes that certain pattern of binary code (electochemical signals) as an "A".

Greywolf

Originally posted by jhodgeiii
Furthermore, I recall one of my high school teachers telling the class that experiments have been done where people wore special glasses that inverted everything, but after a day or two the people once again saw everything right side up. If this isn't urban legend, then this definitely proves image processing of some sort is happening in the brain.

I the brain processes the images from the eyes, then why did it take a day or two for people to start seeing things right side up again?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

If only it were that simple.

I agree that the image that comes into the eye has to be translated into electrochemical signals. Is this what you mean by "processed"?

I also agree that the brain recieves these electrochemical signals.

But I do disagree that the brain the brain then decodes the data into an image. Going back to the computer analogy...
When you type in an "A" into the computer, the keyboard (eye) tranlates that "A" into binary code (electrochemical signal). But when that binary code reaches the computer (brain), it doesn't translate that binary code (electrochemical signals) back into an "A". It recognizes that certain pattern of binary code (electochemical signals) as an "A".
And you have just described "decoding".

The brain or computer decoding, translating or "associating" data back into useable understandable form.

I really don't see why your arguing the point.

Lucky

Hall of Fame

What do the numbers 0 and 2046 have anything to do with this?

Oh... nevermind. :doh: :geek:

jhodgeiii

I do disagree that the brain the brain then decodes the data into an image. Going back to the computer analogy...

OK, I understand better what you're saying now, Grey. Thanks for being patient. However, I really think you're overlooking an important step. For example:

Suppose you detached the optic nerve from the brain and touch the end to the back of your hand. Let's also say that you were able to feel the electrochemical signals being transmitted from the eyes. Would the information you feel be of any value to you but gibberish? How about if you attached some type of thin, sensitive membrane to it so that it made an audible sound. Would that be any use to you? Likely not because our eyes are sending signals that are intended to be interpreted as light. Therefore, the optic nerve must be attached to something able to interpret these cryptic signals properly: the occipital lobe (thanks Zak, that part of the physiology slipped my mind). Here are a couple more relevant exerpts from the first site you referenced for me:

These [optic nerve fibers] eventually reach the back of the brain (occipital lobe). This is where vision is interpreted and is called the primary visual cortex. Some of the visual fibers go to other parts of the brain to help to control eye movements, response of the pupils and iris, and behavior.

Occipital lobe - The occipital lobe receives and processes visual information directly from the eyes and relates this information to the parietal lobe (Wernicke's area) and motor cortex (frontal lobe). One of the things it must do is interpret the upside-down images of the world that are projected onto the retina by the lens of the eye.

Do you understand now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.