BEL: Christian Copy-wrongers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Copyright law is bad law. Individual contracts should be used instead. Why isn't this clear to people who have thought the issue through?

Eli_Cash

When I first clicked on this thread, I thought I was going to get a detailed dissertation on why it is wrong for Christians to copyright their works (it is). But I didn't.

To find out who the real Christian Copy-Wrongers are, read these articles.

http://www.philthegeek.freeserve.co.uk/copyright.html

http://www.workbench.net/~jack/copyright.html

I should say that these articles get a few of the details wrong, for instance, its not illegal to lend someone a CD as one article states. At least, as far as I know. But the gist of the articles, that Christian copyrighting is wrong, is soundly supported.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, copyright is kind of wrong for everyone. I say "kind of" because if you can get an agreement with everyone who buys a copy of your work not to copy it, then you can effectively copyright.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
What would you suggest for dealing with individuals who don't purchase your work, but steal it and copy it or distribute it?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Zak,

but steal it and copy it or distribute it?

You mean steal my master? or my manuscript?

Or do you mean *only* make a copy, not stealing the original media?

If it is a copy, then nothing was stolen, I have the orginal. And you can't say the idea was stolen because the act of someone copying my work would not make me forget it.

Toasty

Dont be foolish Yorzhik, that is stealing. Right now in the music industry millions of dollars are being lost to copy-wrongers. A copyright is just simply a mark of intellectual property rights. Stealing someone else's works is wrong. Anyone who steals another persons work should be made to pay it off, period. And that is what Bob's show was about. Downloading WinXP for example, off a pirate website, without paying for it, is stealing. Without copyrights how are we to protect our property and get income? I agree with Bob, us Christians need to really get whipped into shape about this issue. We are supposed to know and do Truth, yet many times so many Christians defend and do evil. Shame! Shame! Shame! The funny part of this thread is that the Athiest Zakath is right on this issue. What is wrong with you Yorzhik? Jesus said, "do I not have the right to do what I will with my property?" Including the right to sell it and keep it from whom he wants.

Eli_Cash

"Dont be foolish Yorzhik, that is stealing."

No it isn't, as it doesn't deprive anyone of their property

"Right now in the music industry millions of dollars are being lost to copy-wrongers."

It's not stealing to deprive someone of potential profits. This happens all the time. It's called competition.

"A copyright is just simply a mark of intellectual property rights. Stealing someone else's works is wrong. Anyone who steals another persons work should be made to pay it off, period. And that is what Bob's show was about. Downloading WinXP for example, off a pirate website, without paying for it, is stealing."

No it isn't. Microsoft still has Windows XP. My use of it doesn't deprive them of their use of it. Thus it isn't property.

"Without copyrights how are we to protect our property and get income?"

Ideas aren't property. Try getting a real job and stop leaching off of the productive members of society.

"I agree with Bob, us Christians need to really get whipped into shape about this issue. We are supposed to know and do Truth, yet many times so many Christians defend and do evil."

Like what you are doing here, you hypocrite.

"Shame! Shame! Shame! The funny part of this thread is that the Athiest Zakath is right on this issue. "

The funny part is that you are agreeign with an apostate athiest, instead of a reasonable christian. Shame! Shame! Shame!

"What is wrong with you Yorzhik? Jesus said, "do I not have the right to do what I will with my property?" Including the right to sell it and keep it from whom he wants."

Yes his property. Jesus didn't sell ideas. You hypocrite.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dont be foolish Yorzhik, that is stealing.

And what comes up missing?

Right now in the music industry millions of dollars are being lost to copy-wrongers.

The facts speak otherwise. When Napster was at its height, the music industry was raking in good profits. When the closing of Napster and Scour Exchanged reduced music trading, the music industry started reporting losses.

Beyond that fact, just because a person listens to a copy of a copyrighted song without buying it, does not mean that the person would have purchased the song.

A copyright is just simply a mark of intellectual property rights.

First, there is no such thing as "intellectual property" because intellectual things cannot be governed by physical laws naturally. Second, a copyright is nothing more than an arbitrary monopoly enforced by the government.

Stealing someone else's works is wrong.

And what is missing?

Anyone who steals another persons work should be made to pay it off, period.

No, a person who steals something should return it.

And that is what Bob's show was about.

I know. And Bob was wrong.

Downloading WinXP for example, off a pirate website, without paying for it, is stealing.

What comes up missing?

Without copyrights how are we to protect our property and get income?

We protect our property with property laws. The first way to know when to utilize those laws is when we notice something is missing.

I agree with Bob, us Christians need to really get whipped into shape about this issue. We are supposed to know and do Truth, yet many times so many Christians defend and do evil. Shame! Shame! Shame! The funny part of this thread is that the Athiest Zakath is right on this issue.

The funny part is that a smart man and well read on economics can not understand the issues on copyright and patent.

What is wrong with you Yorzhik? Jesus said, "do I not have the right to do what I will with my property?" Including the right to sell it and keep it from whom he wants.

That would matter if ideas were property.

Status
Not open for further replies.