Bob v. Hussein Ibish re: Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipper

That was actually a pretty good debate. Enyart was fair in his moderating (he's not always) and both sides held their ends up well. I would have agreed with Bob had it not been for the fact that the Bush administration had planned so very poorly for the peace. That didn't really seem to sit well with the just war concept. The bloodier and more uncertain the peace, the iffier his proposition looks. I also disagreed with him strongly regarding whether the occupation of Iraq is a defeat for Al Quaeda. Hardly. Terrorist groups generally don't care much about controlling territory so long as they have some place they can operate. They care more about public perception and recruits.

That in mind, Afghanistan was a blow because it put an end to overt organized training efforts.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

If some nation in the world is willing to stop a mass-murdering regime like Saddam Hussein's in Iraq then that nation should get the green light from everybody to do it, to stop the mass bloodshed. And then if the nation that has the courage and the ability to stop the bloodshed, if they have problems we'll deal with the problems but first stop the genocide and then let the bureaucrats at the U.N. debate the aftermath.

Flipper

Yeah, not really one of his better quotes. A paraphrase might be:

Let's go in there and crush the standing army but fail to have an actual plan for managing the peace. Then, when the country is really screwed up and becoming a terrorist-magnet, let's hand it off to the UN so we can blame them for the increasingly likely miserable outcome, especially if large-scale bloodshed then ensues. It will be very important to do this if it looks like more people are dying in the instability than they were under Saddam Hussein.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Flipper

Yeah, not really one of his better quotes. A paraphrase might be:

Let's go in there and crush the standing army but fail to have an actual plan for managing the peace. Then, when the country is really screwed up and becoming a terrorist-magnet, let's hand it off to the UN so we can blame them for the increasingly likely miserable outcome, especially if large-scale bloodshed then ensues. It will be very important to do this if it looks like more people are dying in the instability than they were under Saddam Hussein.
If everything turns out just great, would that disappoint you?

Flipper

No it absolutely would not.

Frankly, I would be much happier if the Middle East were defused and became a mild irrelevance, rather than a major policy obstacle.

It would surprise me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.