Calvinism vs Scriptural Libertarian Free Will (LFW)

GregoryN

He who sins is responsible for his own sin.

Only if sinners have libertarian freewill (LFW). Any Christian theology (e.g. Calvinism) that rejects LFW leads to these conclusions:

1. We are all puppets in God's puppet show.
2. God is the first cause of all evil & sin.
3. God alone is responsible for all sin.
4. If God sends anyone to an endless hell for sins he alone is responsible for, he is unjust and a monstrous sadist.

GregoryN

If a man is drawn into sin, then he was drawn by his own fallen heart. Though God had ordered all the details which might cause him to fall, he fell by the enticement of his covetous heart.

If humans have no choice but to sin, since they do not have libertarian free will (LFW) or the power to resist or the power of contrary choice, then they are the puppets of sin. They are not responsible for that sin, since they could do nothing but sin. If no created beings have LFW, then their creator would be responsible for all sin, not the created beings. For such a "god", then, to send any to endless tortures for sins caused by that "god" would be unjust & make that "god" a monstrous sadist, infinitely worse than all sadists' actions of history combined, including Satan. Such a "god" would be the most unrighteous being there ever was & one of the worst conceivably imaginable. Who would dream up, inspire & propagandize such a fantasy "god" except Satan, the accuser & slanderer of the good & righteous true God, Love Omnipotent?

beloved57

Only if sinners have libertarian freewill (LFW). Any Christian theology (e.g. Calvinism) that rejects LFW leads to these conclusions:

4. If God sends anyone to an endless hell for sins he alone is responsible for, he is unjust and a monstrous sadist.

Scoffing and Blaspheming God !

nikolai_42

Statistically speaking, if man has the free will you assert, what are the chances of the entire human history passing by without anyone (save Christ) being sinless his entire life? So when Paul makes the statement that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, how does he make that statement? How can he make that claim for the (at least) 2000 years of people that (then) had yet to be born? It makes perfect sense if man is - by nature - a sinner and not called a sinner simply because he happens to sin. The statement of man being a sinner goes to the nature, not just the act. And what of having an understanding of what is right and what is wrong and doing wrong anyway? If we take the mass of human history and look at man's sinfulness in combination with his recognition of right and wrong, doesn't that overwhelmingly tend to support the contention that man is naturally a sinner? Naturally alienated from God? And doesn't that also mean we can read Jeremiah 17:9 as a universal (natural) state?

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Jeremiah 17:9

My conclusion is that man does not have libertarian free will, but that his will is governed by his nature. And if anyone thinks man's nature is (naturally, if you will) either good or neutral, then they have to go through Romans 3:23 (and Romans 5:12) first.

Man knows right and wrong and has chosen with his nature. The animals, on the other hand, only do what they were made to do and have no knowledge of right and wrong.

Last edited:

nikolai_42

If humans have no choice but to sin, since they do not have libertarian free will (LFW) or the power to resist or the power of contrary choice, then they are the puppets of sin. They are not responsible for that sin, since they could do nothing but sin. If no created beings have LFW, then their creator would be responsible for all sin, not the created beings. For such a "god", then, to send any to endless tortures for sins caused by that "god" would be unjust & make that "god" a monstrous sadist, infinitely worse than all sadists' actions of history combined, including Satan. Such a "god" would be the most unrighteous being there ever was & one of the worst conceivably imaginable. Who would dream up, inspire & propagandize such a fantasy "god" except Satan, the accuser & slanderer of the good & righteous true God, Love Omnipotent?

Practically speaking, man may have the capacity to resist the temptation to indulge his lusts, but both the heart out of which those things spring and the conscience that says "That's wrong" are present in every individual. Covetousness is just as much a sin as indulging that covetousness. Resisting the urge to indulge it may be resisting one sin, but it doesn't change the heart. So because our heart makes us (so to speak) covet, does that mean we shouldn't be held accountable?

Panda

"2. God is the first cause of all evil & sin.
4. If God sends anyone to an endless hell for sins he alone is responsible for, he is unjust and a monstrous sadist."

These sounds like excuses for doing wrong not to get in trouble. It's like saying, "I hit him because my brother did. It's in my genes so not my fault."

It's like uhh no it's a lame excuse is what it is.

GregoryN

My conclusion is that man does not have libertarian free will, but that his will is governed by his nature.

Just because humans are conceived or born imperfect, or with a sinful nature, or some such thing that guarantees they will eventually sin if they don't die first, it does not follow they do not have libertarian free will.

If man's will is governed by his fallen nature, then how will it ever be set free to obey the truth? Man's will is under bondage to sin until God Sovereignly enlightens him & graces him with the grace to either resist (by libertarian free will) the truth offered or accept/receive/obey it. Otherwise man is just a puppet of God & God is responsible for man's sins & bondage to sin, not man.

GregoryN

Practically speaking, man may have the capacity to resist the temptation to indulge his lusts, but both the heart out of which those things spring and the conscience that says "That's wrong" are present in every individual. Covetousness is just as much a sin as indulging that covetousness. Resisting the urge to indulge it may be resisting one sin, but it doesn't change the heart. So because our heart makes us (so to speak) covet, does that mean we shouldn't be held accountable?

Are you a Calvinist? A believer in double predestination? How does any of your comment address what i posted:

nikolai_42

Just because humans are conceived or born imperfect, or with a sinful nature, or some such thing that guarantees they will eventually sin if they don't die first, it does not follow they do not have libertarian free will.

Actually, if I understand the term (LFW) correctly, that's exactly what it means. Libertarian free will means a man is free to act against his nature and God's predetermination. LFW is essentially a crapshoot to see how this black box (free will) is going to decide at any given time. There are no rules or guidelines as to how a man will choose. It could be anything at any time.

If man's will is governed by his fallen nature, then how will it ever be set free to obey the truth? Man's will is under bondage to sin until God Sovereignly enlightens him & graces him with the grace to either resist (by libertarian free will) the truth offered or accept/receive/obey it. Otherwise man is just a puppet of God & God is responsible for man's sins & bondage to sin, not man.

Taking this line of thought to a logical extent - if God created everything, then everything is ultimately on God, right? At the "rubber meets road" perspective (i.e. from our point of view) your first sentence is the question that is answered by the gospel. Man is a puppet of sorts - a slave to sin. Ultimately, I think, the whole concept of LFW tends to the anarchical because every man ultimately serves something and/or someone. The question is not if he is free to (dis)obey, but who (or what) is it that he is obeying? LFW essentially replaces that "Master" with "(nothing)".

nikolai_42

Are you a Calvinist? A believer in double predestination? How does any of your comment address what i posted:

I was trying to make it practical. Everyone reading can associate with what a lust is. A strong desire. You and I may have a choice what to have for breakfast - and we make that choice very casually because there isn't much (that we know of) that rests on that decision. But it is ultimately informed by things very much deeper than the superficial whims that (in my view) pass for the evidence of a supposedly free will. Things get a little more clear when dealing with emotionalism in church as it applies to salvation. People have been "saved" multiple times by emotional please and the church has suffered as a result. That's (in part) because the appeal was not going to the core of man but to his emotions. They are easily moved (as one might expect) and manipulated. And while emotion in worship is not of itself wrong, if you get it prioritized incorrectly, you have a serious situation. Taken to its extent, you have people who essentially worship emotion. All is emotion. All is driven by emotion and so they are following their own desires. Paul, I believe, says those people worship their own belly (Philippians 3:19). Emotions that follow faith are an entirely different matter (just as works that follow faith are entirely different than faith that follows works).

And to reiterate my previous response, are you saying that if we don't have a will that is untethered to anything, that this makes God responsible for all sin?

nikolai_42

4. If God sends anyone to an endless hell for sins he alone is responsible for, he is unjust and a monstrous sadist."

These sounds like excuses for doing wrong not to get in trouble. It's like saying, "I hit him because my brother did. It's in my genes so not my fault."

It should be noted that those tenets are not (so far as I am aware) all held by Calvinists at large.

ttruscott

Let's just say...Augustinian faith vs Pelagian heresy. It's really the same debate that Augustine won, which lead to Pelagius being rightfully declared a heretic.
Greg is merely rehashing and desperately wishing that Pelagius was correct.
https://www.monergism.com/augustine-and-pelagius

They both got it wrong: Pelagius by insisting a man could influence his election by his choice and Augustine by insisting we had any free will at all in the face of our lives being predetermined by GOD and both by insisting we inherit Adam's sin which makes GOD the creator of our sin if not Adam's since HE was under no compulsion to create the rest of us in Adam at all.

ttruscott

So when Paul makes the statement that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, how does he make that statement? How can he make that claim for the (at least) 2000 years of people that (then) had yet to be born?

It would make sense if he knew that only sinners are born on earth as men rather than thinking being born on earth as men causes our sinfulness.

ttruscott

If we accept the doctrine that we inherit Adam's sinfulness then it is not a lame excuse but a correct understanding of the situation proving that the doctrine of inherited sin is blasphemy and some other reason for our being born / conceived as sinful should be sought from the Spirit.

MennoSota

They both got it wrong: Pelagius by insisting a man could influence his election by his choice and Augustine by insisting we had any free will at all in the face of our lives being predetermined by GOD and both by insisting we inherit Adam's sin which makes GOD the creator of our sin if not Adam's since HE was under no compulsion to create the rest of us in Adam at all.
No. You stated your incomprehensible and incompatible theory in another thread, showing you have no clue. All you did was nullify your claim.

GregoryN

I posted:

You replied:

Actually, if I understand the term (LFW) correctly, that's exactly what it means. Libertarian free will means a man is free to act against his nature and God's predetermination.

There are different definitions of LFW. I didn't offer one. One view of LFW is it is a separate entity, ability or nature within man from his fallen nature, or , perhaps, even his will that is in bondage to sin. Man is made in God's image & likeness with a conscience. A second view of LFW is that it occurs when God enlightens & graces a human to make a choice either (a) to follow the light given or (b) to resist the light he has been given. Those are not just pretend options. The man can choose either (a) or (b). God doesn't know which LFW choice he will make, so it is not predetermined. In this view while man's nature & will is to some degree in bondage to sin & fallen, it is not completely so. And when enlightened & graced by God may make LFW choices.

Mt.23:37b how often did I WILL to gather thy children together, as a hen doth gather her own chickens under the wings, and ye did not WILL.

In Mt.23:37 we are told of men who resisted the will of the Lord. His will was not irresistible.

If grace was always irresistible, why do we read:

Acts 7:51 You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, also do you.

Even Christians can resist His grace:

Ephesians 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

LFW is essentially a crapshoot to see how this black box (free will) is going to decide at any given time. There are no rules or guidelines as to how a man will choose. It could be anything at any time.

LFW is not a "crapshoot", roll of the dice or a matter of pure luck. It is the Sovereign God given ability for a human to determine which of multiple options to choose. Though, perhaps, many of those (i.e. Calvinists) who wish to call LFW a "crapshoot" do so because they don't wish to take responsibility for their own choices. Calvinism reduces men to puppets whose sins are not their own fault, but God's fault. In essence it puts all the blame on God for human sins. And gives them an excuse for their own sins: "the devil made me do it". Yet Scripture says men are "without excuse".

Taking this line of thought to a logical extent - if God created everything, then everything is ultimately on God, right? At the "rubber meets road" perspective (i.e. from our point of view) your first sentence is the question that is answered by the gospel. Man is a puppet of sorts - a slave to sin. Ultimately, I think, the whole concept of LFW tends to the anarchical because every man ultimately serves something and/or someone. The question is not if he is free to (dis)obey, but who (or what) is it that he is obeying? LFW essentially replaces that "Master" with "(nothing)".

??? said:
Why would an omnipotently loving God choose free will to be the determining factor of a man's salvation when mankind is so lost?

Otherwise you're like a computer operated robot God is making to love or hate Himself. So it's not really you doing the loving, it's God controlling His human puppet like a TV remote control to love Himself.

Would you prefer to (1) program a robot wife to say "I love you" to yourself, or (2) have a real wife say "I love you" from her own libertarian free will?

"If I found out that my wife’s love for me has all these years been determined by some biochip in her brain by a will or wills other than her, by forces or persons other than her, my opinion and experience of HER (as friend, lover, partner, etc.) would drastically change. I would no longer be able to perceive her love for me as HER love for me."

"...What makes me feel right about her loving me is knowing that it’s HER who is loving me. Libertarian choice is just a necessary by-product of this that comes in further down the line."

"... If God determined your daughter’s ‘love’ for you, then in my view you can’t say “My daughter loves me and if God…” since in my view it’s GOD loving you by means of your daughter who is just merely the instrumentation of God’s actions. That’s functionally equivalent to pantheism in my view."

"...To clarify, what I mean by charade in my previous post is God's call of sinners to repentance, His plea for them to turn from sin by the declaration that He doesn't delight in the death
of the wicked, His command for them to humble themselves, His "regret" that He had made man before the flood, etc. The calvinist understanding of God could be characterized by a man in
his room holding a sock puppet on each hand, talking to them and voicing like a ventriloquist their responses, one puppet being the bad guy and the other the "good" guy. Then, after a
long ridiculous show with pretentious loud drama, he rips the bad sock off and throws it in his fireplace, while the "good" puppet cheers him on."

"...God is a God of infinite and unconditional love... And determinism is also not on the menu because ‘love requires freedom’...Libertarian freedom is power to the contrary.