ECT Christians, the Law, and conviction

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Have you ever been convicted of something? Meaning, God showed you something that was wrong?

Or, have you ever been fully assured of something? Like a conclusion or revelation of who God is and who Jesus is? Maybe it was about salvation and what it means to be saved?

Is it enough to know you are a sinner when in your unsaved state before you came to Jesus or before you come to Jesus? Do you need to know the specific sins you were or are guilty of? Will God show you your sin by the Law after you are saved, when the believing Christian is not under the Law but under grace?

How does God make a new believer strong in Christ? When a person is convicted of sin are they convicted of all of it or just one particular sin that they need to repent of?

Romans 5:8 KJV - 8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

There is a difference between conviction and being convicted about something and being convinced of something.

KJV

convicted

John 8:9 KJV - 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

KJV

convinced

Job 32:12 KJV - 12 Yea, I attended unto you, and, behold, there was none of you that convinced Job, or that answered his words:

Acts 18:28 KJV - 28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.

1 Corinthians 14:24 KJV - 24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

James 2:9 KJV - 9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

not under the Law

Galatians 3:24-26 KJV - 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:14-15 KJV - 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. 15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Galatians 5:18 KJV - 18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

"your own conviction before God"

Romans 14:22 NASB - 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

Romans 14:22 KJV - 22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Do you believe either the Law, God's commands, or the Spirit of God, can convict a believer of sin?

Are you convinced that God still uses the Law in the lives of either unbelievers or believers?

Do you believe those who are led by the Spirit are not under Law (even God's Law)?

Do you believe believers do not sin, should strive to not sin, or do not sin as a practice (not the normal mode of doing things, in other words)?

We need to know where we stand in respect to God and salvation as individuals, whether believers or seeking to understand Christianity.

The Bible says you can know that you have eternal life. So how do you know? And what does the life of a believer look like? Is it any different from an unbeliever? If so, how and why?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Is what you do, what you say, or what you believe the most important?

Since salvation is not by works...

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The Holy Spirit Convicts Us.

1 Tim 1:5
5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith,
John 14:26
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
John 16:8-14
8 "And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 "of sin, because they do not believe in Me;
10 "of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more;
11 "of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
12 "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
14 "He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.
Jude 1:15
15 "to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."
Titus 1:9
9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.
1 Tim 3:9
9 holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience.
1 Tim 3:14-16
14 These things I write to you, though I hope to come to you shortly;
15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up in glory.
1 Tim 4:1-9
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,
3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving;
5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
6 If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed.
7 But reject profane and old wives' fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness.
8 For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.
9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance.
1 Cor 2:4-5
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
1 Cor 2:9-16
9 But as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him."
10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.
16 For "who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
2 Tim 4:2-5
2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;
4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
(NKJ)
xxx The Holy Spirit is sent to convict you of sin. But if you sin there is unclean spirits in you. And they dont want you to hear the truth, because if you believe the truth they must leave you. So when you get convicted they will lie to you from inside you. If something you read in the Word of God arouses an emotion that is an unclean spirit. When one tries to believe what they read in the bible, it arouses unclean spirits. Here is where your free will comes into play. You can either fight inside yourself to believe the Word, or you can give into the unclean spirit that tells you "it doesnt mean that". That is your free will choice. Every verse in the new testament is believable.

James 4:6-8
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
(NKJ)

2 Cor 7:8-10
8 For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it. For I perceive that the same epistle made you sorry, though only for a while.
9 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing.
10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.
(NKJ)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The Holy Spirit Convicts Us.

John 16:8-14
8 "And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 "of sin, because they do not believe in Me;
10 "of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more;
11 "of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
12 "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
14 "He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.
Jude 1:15
15 "to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."
What does it mean to be in the world but not of the world. In it not of it.

John 1:10 KJV - 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

John 15:19 KJV - 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

John 17:14, 16 KJV - 14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. ... 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

1 Corinthians 1:21 KJV - 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV - 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

1 John 2:15-16 KJV - 15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 John 4:3 KJV - 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

The word world is used in many ways. My attention here was on the phrase mentioned, as I selected verses which show there is a difference between those (us) who believe and those who do not.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There is a difference between being convicted about something and having a personal conviction.