Dear Mr. President...

Quetzal

My name is Q, I have voted for you in the previous two elections. So far, you have acted and stood for many principles that I have agreed with. I hope this continues as we move forward in dealing with the most recent attacks in France.

Mr. President, I have been a defender of the Islamic faith and I would like to believe that I am still one, however... this changes things, doesn't it? France was our ally before we were even an independent nation. Seeing her streets flooded with chaos and terror angered me beyond words. I have lost sleep thinking about the ever present question, "What, in gods name, do we do now?"

Mr President, I cannot answer that question, but I do have a few ideas I will share with you now. I would like you to monitor social media, local media outlets, and other forms of public communication in this country. What do you see? I see a nation full of people who want to stand with France and I do, too.

Mr. President, in the coming days or weeks (perhaps you already know), the culprit will become clear. At this time, the Islamic State (IS) has taken responsibility. I fully expect France to appeal to Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization...

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Mr President, I would, as a citizen, like you to go before Congress and ask that they declare a state of war against the IS. While I understand this gesture is historically reserved against enemy nations, not militant groups, I beseech you to make an exception. Go through the motions, add strength to your words.

Mr. President, I hate war, I hate fighting. I hate death. However, the world needs to know that we, as a country, as a people, will not let this go. With a declaration that I mentioned above, the world will get that message. The last time we did this, we fought against some of the most evil forces this Earth has ever seen. I want you, Mr. President, to do that again.

-Q

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr President, I would, as a citizen, like you to go before Congress and ask that they declare a state of war against the IS.

Earlier, on the same day of the attacks, on ABC News, Obama said ISIS was contained.

Obama has yet to call ISIS Islamic terrorists.

I have voted for you in the previous two elections.

That makes you an idiot.

Once, I could see, but voting for him twice....that's idiot.

bybee

My name is Q, I have voted for you in the previous two elections. So far, you have acted and stood for many principles that I have agreed with. I hope this continues as we move forward in dealing with the most recent attacks in France.

Mr. President, I have been a defender of the Islamic faith and I would like to believe that I am still one, however... this changes things, doesn't it? France was our ally before we were even an independent nation. Seeing her streets flooded with chaos and terror angered me beyond words. I have lost sleep thinking about the ever present question, "What, in gods name, do we do now?"

Mr President, I cannot answer that question, but I do have a few ideas I will share with you now. I would like you to monitor social media, local media outlets, and other forms of public communication in this country. What do you see? I see a nation full of people who want to stand with France and I do, too.

Mr. President, in the coming days or weeks (perhaps you already know), the culprit will become clear. At this time, the Islamic State (IS) has taken responsibility. I fully expect France to appeal to Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization...

Mr President, I would, as a citizen, like you to go before Congress and ask that they declare a state of war against the IS. While I understand this gesture is historically reserved against enemy nations, not militant groups, I beseech you to make an exception. Go through the motions, add strength to your words.

Mr. President, I hate war, I hate fighting. I hate death. However, the world needs to know that we, as a country, as a people, will not let this go. With a declaration that I mentioned above, the world will get that message. The last time we did this, we fought against some of the most evil forces this Earth has ever seen. I want you, Mr. President, to do that again.

-Q

Good luck with that Q! You voted for a closet, devious Muslim. You and others like you have sown the wind and now the world is reaping the whirlwind! World War Three is now imminent.
And we may thank the President of the United States for this.

Buzzword

The first time we tried to issue a declaration of war against a militant group in this century, we ended up in Afghanistan.

We're still there, by the way.

Then we invaded Iraq and took out some of their national military, received the military's surrender, and started fighting civilian militant insurgents.

We're still there as well.

In neither case was there apparently a clear-cut goal in mind, and once we started fighting civilians it was like we had put our troops on a treadmill.
A treadmill that they can only fall off of, in body bags or wheelchairs or PTSD pillbottles.
A treadmill they're still on, and one we're not giving them much hope of escaping at the moment.

Our statutes for declaring war were designed with NATIONS in mind, that two or more NATIONS would go to war and fight until one or more was annihilated or conquered, or voluntarily surrendered and its leaders or ambassador brought in to sign a ceasefire or peace treaty.

The NATO treaty was similarly designed, and since the end of the Cold War it has become increasingly obsolete.

What too few people who cry out for militarily-inflicted vengeance realize is that anyone can choose to become a terrorist at any time.

Even if we followed the proposition vehemently supported by too many on TOL and killed every practicing or identifying Muslim on Earth, we could have twice the number of terrorists within two weeks of that atrocity being committed as we do now.

And we likely would, given that people tend to turn to terrorism as a way to fight back against a foreign power which possesses a superior organized military that it uses to inflict death or suffering.

Killing terrorists or advocating a military response to terrorist attacks does nothing if we continue to allow (and in the case of the United States, encourage and applaud) the economic strangulation and military bludgeoning which leads to more people becoming terrorists.

bybee

The first time we tried to issue a declaration of war against a militant group in this century, we ended up in Afghanistan.

We're still there, by the way.

Then we invaded Iraq and took out some of their national military, received the military's surrender, and started fighting civilian militant insurgents.

We're still there as well.

In neither case was there apparently a clear-cut goal in mind, and once we started fighting civilians it was like we had put our troops on a treadmill.
A treadmill that they can only fall off of, in body bags or wheelchairs or PTSD pillbottles.
A treadmill they're still on, and one we're not giving them much hope of escaping at the moment.

Our statutes for declaring war were designed with NATIONS in mind, that two or more NATIONS would go to war and fight until one or more was annihilated or conquered, or voluntarily surrendered and its leaders or ambassador brought in to sign a ceasefire or peace treaty.

The NATO treaty was similarly designed, and since the end of the Cold War it has become increasingly obsolete.

What too few people who cry out for militarily-inflicted vengeance realize is that anyone can choose to become a terrorist at any time.

Even if we followed the proposition vehemently supported by too many on TOL and killed every practicing or identifying Muslim on Earth, we could have twice the number of terrorists within two weeks of that atrocity being committed as we do now.

And we likely would, given that people tend to turn to terrorism as a way to fight back against a foreign power which possesses a superior organized military that it uses to inflict death or suffering.

Killing terrorists does nothing if we continue to allow (and in the case of the United States, encourage and applaud) the economic strangulation and military bludgeoning which leads to more people becoming terrorists.

So, according to your scenario, one ideal way to handle this is for the United States to withdraw all troops, stop all monetary aid, close all of our borders, cut any and all ties with Islamic nations including purchasing any of their resources? Unless of course, they ask for our help? And of course that help would have to be a gift without any strings?
Of course, even this recourse wouldn't address the already inflamed, hate filled terrorists who have infiltrated all of the Western Nations and mean to take us down.
There is no excuse for acts of terrorism. You are so ready to condemn the United States for everything you consider problematic but nary a word about the barbaric behavior of the terrorists!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So, according to your scenario, one ideal way to handle this is for the United States to withdraw all troops, stop all monetary aid, close all of our borders, cut any and all ties with Islamic nations including purchasing any of their resources? Unless of course, they ask for our help? And of course that help would have to be a gift without any strings?
Of course, even this recourse wouldn't address the already inflamed, hate filled terrorists who have infiltrated all of the Western Nations and mean to take us down.
There is no excuse for acts of terrorism. You are so ready to condemn the United States for everything you consider problematic but nary a word about the barbaric behavior of the terrorists!

we know their history
so
we know the future

there will never be a day when we don't have to fight them

Buzzword

What is your solution?
Keep blowing stuff up and letting corporations take over other countries' economies like they have here and hope for the best?

Nowhere have I offered excuses for acts of terrorism.
Seeking to understand WHY people resort to terrorism in an effort to PREVENT the present and future creation of more terrorists is not offering excuses for acts of violence perpetrated against the innocent.

I thought it fair to assume that we were in agreement regarding the vicious and criminal nature of the attacks in Paris, and thus devoted my post to my disagreement with the OP's plea for military vengeance.

bybee

You lost your ability to think critically? Have you seriously bought into the non-sense conspiracy that Obama is secretly a Muslim?

As I have stated, when President-elect Obama and Mrs Obama walked down the isle to take the oath of office, even though I did not vote for him, still, I was proud of America and Americans. We had achieved a milestone of great import!
We have slowly disintegrated as a nation under his lack of leadership.
I do believe that the evidence strongly indicates that he is either a Muslim or most certainly a Muslim sympathizer.
The evidence also indicates that he is a wimp among men.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

brewmama

-Q

I admire your finally reaching a point where you have found a cause worth fighting for.( Unfortunately many on your side refuse to find anything worthy of fighting or dying for.) I hope you will now recognize the dishonest, contemptuous, disparaging attacks liberals constantly throw at conservatives as being "warmongers", etc for what they are.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I admire your finally reaching a point where you have found a cause worth fighting for.( Unfortunately many on your side refuse to find anything worthy of fighting or dying for.) I hope you will now recognize the dishonest, contemptuous, disparaging attacks liberals constantly throw at conservatives as being "warmongers", etc for what they are.

that's why we call them baby killers

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
My name is Q, I have voted for you in the previous two elections.

admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery :thumb:

Mr. President, I have been a defender of the Islamic faith

:doh: but there may be no recovery possible from this level of brain damage

France was our ally before we were even an independent nation.

:doh::doh:town

go to the library, take out Fred Anderson's "Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766" ISBN-13: 978-0375706363 and read it

Last edited: