Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by granite1010

Jefferson: learn how to spell before jumping to conclusions.
I spelled it correctly according to dictionary.com See: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=faggot

fagot

\Fag"ot\n. [F., prob. aug. of L. fax, facis, torch, perh. orig., a bundle of sticks; cf. Gr. ??????? bundle, fagot. Cf. Fagotto.] 1. A bundle of sticks, twigs, or small branches of trees, used for fuel . . .
Exactly. This is what the Bible says homosexuals are. They are fuel for the fires of hell, like kindling or dry logs.

The ministry of Christ is not and was not based on name calling.
He called people swine, dogs, hypocrites, children of the devil, foxes, sinners, etc.

Moreover, it seems that many evangelicals would rather homosexuals burn in hell than convert.
How are they supposed to convert without first recognizing they are sinful?

Granite

Hall of Fame
What kind of response does one expect from this kind of attitude: "Hey fag, you're going to hell. Have a nice day."

Is homosexuality a sin? Yes. That's not the issue. The issue is how to address it, and some attack the sin--and homosexuals--with a glee that doesn't seem to have any love behind it at all. You can't tell me there aren't vindictive souls in the world who love holding "Fags=Hell Fire" signs. Are these really the kinds of people you want on your side?

jhodgeiii

Originally posted by Jefferson

It's simply accurate. If you look up the word "faggot" in the dictionary you will see that it means "a bundle of sticks used as fuel." This is how God Himself used the term in Amos 4:11 - "I have overthrown some of you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and ye were as a firebrand plucked out of the burning: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the Lord."

The word "faggot" is considered profanity by most. That's why I feel it was inappropriate, albeit fitting.

Jesus called some people dogs. Does this fact give us Christians liberty to call these same people b*tches? How about one who commits incest with his mother being called a [I won't repeat it]? I hope you get the picture.

We should use good judgment when name calling. Calling a promiscuous woman a slut or a 'ho is fine in my book. Sends the message, yet doesn't make you look crass.

Freak

Originally posted by jhodgeiii

The word "faggot" is considered profanity by most. That's why I feel it was inappropriate, albeit fitting.

Jesus called some people dogs. Does this fact give us Christians liberty to call these same people b*tches? How about one who commits incest with his mother being called a [I won't repeat it]? I hope you get the picture.

We should use good judgment when name calling. Calling a promiscuous woman a slut or a 'ho is fine in my book. Sends the message, yet doesn't make you look crass.
Good points. We need discernment and balance when using strong language.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
This is a perfect example of what I continuously point out: Most Christians worship the false god whose name is Public Acceptance. jhodgeii, you correctly admit the word faggot is "fitting." So that settles it, right? The truth is all that matters, right? Do right and risk the consequences, right?

Apparently not. Why not? Because what settles this issue for you is majority opinion, not truth itself. You said you felt it was inappropriate because '"faggot' is considered profanity by most." So, according to you, right and wrong are to be decided by public opinion. This is worshipping the false god of Public Acceptance.

Calling a promiscuous woman a slut or a 'ho is fine in my book.
To her face?

Sends the message, yet doesn't make you look crass.
Here we go again. Who cares if it makes me look crass? Herod's sister in law thought John the Baptist was crass for pointing out their sin so much that she had John beheaded. 10 times in the New Testament, Jesus is referenced with people being offended by Him.

Although it is true that the Holy Spirit is not tactless, neither is He a coward.

jhodgeiii

This is a perfect example of what I continuously point out: Most Christians worship the false god whose name is Public Acceptance. jhodgeii, you correctly admit the word faggot is "fitting." So that settles it, right? The truth is all that matters, right? Do right and risk the consequences, right?

Jefferson, being right does not always mean that you're being righteous, or even wise. Scripture informs us that there are situations where we must "take care that [our own liberty] does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak." Vulgar language per se is not evil, but Christians need to discern when its usage is appropriate, else it can be reckoned as sin.

Now, regarding your "worshipping the false god of Public Acceptance" comments. I remember calling Bob Enyart Live! and describing to Bob and his audience how some liberal art professors are describing what Herod's sister-in-law did with John the Baptist's severed head. He unsuccessfully tried to cut me off since, apparently, he deemed the material indecent for his show's audience, yet my story was accurate! I've heard him do this to several callers. Obviously, there are verbiage standards he likes to keep for his show. Where do these standards come from? Clue: not the Bible! Could it be that Bob Enyart worships this same god that you've discovered?

Herod's sister in law thought John the Baptist was crass for pointing out their sin so much that she had John beheaded.

She thought John was crass? Please give me scripture that supports this! That's like Jeffrey Dahmer calling Bob Enyart crass! :chuckle:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
jhodgeiii:

Before responding to your last post I need to make sure you first answer one of my questions that you have not yet responded to.

You said:
Calling a promiscuous woman a slut or a 'ho is fine in my book.
To her face?

jhodgeiii

jhodgeiii:

Before responding to your last post I need to make sure you first answer one of my questions that you have not yet responded to.

You said:
To her face?

Doesn't matter how it's communicated. So yes, that includes to her face if necessary.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Doesn't matter how it's communicated. So yes, that includes to her face if necessary.
I'm proud of you. Seriously. There aren't many Christians who would risk being so unpopular and so politically incorrect and so . . . so . . . blasphemous against the false god of Public Acceptance. Good work. :thumb:

You realize of course that many people (mostly wimpy Christians) would consider your calling her a slut to her face to be "crass" right? But who cares what those wimps think? They're wrong.

Vulgar language per se is not evil, but Christians need to discern when its usage is appropriate, else it can be reckoned as sin.
I don't disagree with that. I don't always use the term "faggot" instead of homosexual. Just most of the time.

Now, regarding your "worshipping the false god of Public Acceptance" comments. I remember calling Bob Enyart Live! and describing to Bob and his audience how some liberal art professors are describing what Herod's sister-in-law did with John the Baptist's severed head. He unsuccessfully tried to cut me off since, apparently, he deemed the material indecent for his show's audience, yet my story was accurate!
I'm not sure of the details you were trying to communicate. I think I might have heard your call. Was this the "having sex with the skull" comment? If so, I don't think it would be unobjectionable to bleep that out because of Ephesians 5:12 - "For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret."

I've heard him do this to several callers. Obviously, there are verbiage standards he likes to keep for his show. Where do these standards come from? Clue: not the Bible!
What about Ephesians 5:12?

could it be that Bob Enyart worships this same god that you've discovered?
I don't think people like Enyart who publicly display giant photographs like my avatar and who call for the government to recriminalize homosexuality worship the false god of Public Acceptance.

She thought John was crass?
Well, since she had him beheaded she obviously didn't exactly think he was good enough to marry her daughter.

jhodgeiii

I'm not sure of the details you were trying to communicate. I think I might have heard your call. Was this the "having sex with the skull" comment?
Yep, that was me.

If so, I don't think it would be unobjectionable to bleep that out because of Ephesians 5:12 - "For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret."

Hmm...well the context of Ephesians 5:11 - 5:13 says:
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.

Well how do you expose wicked things if you don't speak of them? Thus, due to the context I think it's likely that Ephesians 5:12 translates to our vernacular as "For it is a shame to even have to speak of those things which are done by them in secret." This is a cursory analysis though. If I'm right, then Bob (at least partially) worships the god of Public Acceptance.

Husband&Father

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltiare

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltiare

Zakath's signature:

[He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth, will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all.

--Samuel Taylor Coleridge]

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Status
Not open for further replies.