Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

Conservatives should say, "Because the war is right you should support the troops. That's it. If the war is wrong, you should oppose the troops, oppose the government that's prosecuting the war and you should oppose the war effort.

Noelpark03

why should we ever oppose our own troops? since they are doing their best and have to obey orders? You can be against war and support the solders like Jesus did. He was against Rome but cared about the soldeirs, the centurionn.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Noelpark03

why should we ever oppose our own troops? since they are doing their best and have to obey orders?
Did God want Christian citizens in Germany during World War 2 to have supported their Nazi Germany troops?

The excuse, "I was just obeying orders" did not go over too well at the Nuremberg trials, and rightly so. The troops do not "have" to obey orders. We are commanded by God to disobey governing authorities when those authorites tell us to disobey God.

Jukia

So the first issue is whether this war is justified? Puts a great burden on our Christian troops. W and his boys lied about WMD's, the relationship between Saddam and Osama etc. There is little justification for the loss of American lives and the amount of $ this is costing us or the amount of credibity this is costing us. If we spent the $25 billion just requested by W in other ways my guess is that Saddam would have been overthrown by his own people. Yeah, he was a very evil ruler, but there are lots of bad guys out there. Why didn't W go after the Saudis. They supported terrorists, they support the vilest version of Islam. Wait, I forgot, they have more oil and are family friends of the Bushes. Silly me.

Seems to me that if you are a soldier over there you have to take the position that while I may disagree with the war, absent a direct order to abuse a prisoner, I probably have to do my job cause without specific substantial evidence to the contrary, well, it is my job.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Jukia

So the first issue is whether this war is justified? Puts a great burden on our Christian troops.
That's one of the responsibilities you have as an adult.

W and his boys lied about WMD's, the relationship between Saddam and Osama etc.
On the day of judgment, God will take into consideration if the people He will be judging were deceived.

Seems to me that if you are a soldier over there you have to take the position that while I may disagree with the war, absent a direct order to abuse a prisoner, I probably have to do my job cause without specific substantial evidence to the contrary, well, it is my job.
The key words in your sentence were "absent a direct order to abuse a prisoner." That direct order would violate Biblical Law. Similarly, if the war itself equally violates Biblical Law then the mantra "we have to support our troops" is unbiblical.

Jukia

I have no clue as to whether or not this war is Biblical or not. I just find it stupid and a waste of resources, both human and financial.

So does this war violate Biblical Law, if so how. If not, is there Biblical support for it?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Jukia
So does this war violate Biblical Law, if so how. If not, is there Biblical support for it?
Not sure actually. The Bible did not forbid kings from multiplying their standing armies, nor from multiplying the number of their weapons. However, they were forbidden from multiplying horses. Why horses of all things? Well, horses were used for purely offensive purposes. They were used for attacking distant lands which is what we are doing in Iraq.

However, another principle can be looked at. If you somehow knew that a lady in your neighborhood was being raped, you would have every right to break in to her house and fight that guy off of her which is what we have stopped Sadaam from doing to his citizens.

Good question. I haven't worked out all the Biblical principles of just wars.

Jukia

Well since the reasons we went to war had little to do with Saddam terrorizing his people and more to do with things that have turned out to be a bit on the inaccurate side (and that is expressing a great deal of Christian charity on my behalf) I don't think the analogy of the neighbor being raped is a good one. There are lots of countries with insane leaders, nasty nasty civil wars that terrorize the regular population and we don't seem to be compelled, Biblicially or otherwise, to intervene.
If you are looking for a just war--perhaps our attack on Afghanistan after 9/11 cause we knew of the strong relationship between the Taliban and Osama's guys. Or WWII, not only were we attacked but Adolph was on his own roll throughout Europe (and as an aside, but for the little pudgy pink cigar smoking guy in England he may well have been successful).
I think the Catholic church has examined the just war issue a number of times but you have to admit that some of its decisions are based on factors other than the Bible and more on whose ox is being gored (and this from a Catholic)

Status
Not open for further replies.