Fans All Over...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here in the great state of Alabama there is a tradition of favoring and following one of the two state institutions of higher learning renowned for their prowess on the football field. Either you grow up roaring "Go Bama!" and "Roll Tide!" or you cry "War Eagle!" at the drop of a hat.

Now each season these two teams meet in the Iron Bowl to decide bragging rights for the following year...and the fans, especially during the week preceding that game, detest one another. Words are exchanged of a less than civil and pleasant nature between people who otherwise would consider themselves friends. Some family members will not speak to other family members pending the outcome of the contest and then only to jeer for at least a following month before cooler heads prevail...It takes on a life of its own for that limited season.

But if you happen to watch the game and pay attention to the players from both teams at its conclusion you'll see young men congratulating each other on a well fought campaign and note a general respect and even camaraderie in evidence. That's because they understand the nature of the contest in a way those cheering from the sidelines (many of whom never actually attended either university) appear unable to. They respect the passion and commitment of the other fellow, even while giving every ounce of their own determined effort to their particular cause.

It's a lesson I wish the two contesting political parties' rank and file could learn and emulate, that respect for a worthy if differing adversary, a recognition that men and women can honorably and utterly disagree, can fight with determination and passion over the outcome of a reasoned contest and still see in each other patriots and good Americans...that ours is a system that celebrates and respects the right to hold a contrary belief, prizes it almost as highly as we do our personal causes.

There's a lesson in that and a practice I think would benefit us all.

hoipoloi

Why we don't see more political Comradery...

When two sports teams vie for the highest score in a contest there's little more at stake than pride. Most of the players, after all, will never make the big time, so when it's over, it's over for them and they move on.
On the other hand, if we elect a poor leader as president it could not only cost us more $$ (in a number of ways), but could actually cost 3-4 thousand lives in a poorly considered occupation of a foreign country (or two). There is infinitely more at stake, so people tend to take it much more seriously, as I believe they should. The future of the country is at stake in many ways and no matter who wins this years Iron Bowl, the votes we cast in the political arena will always matter far more... Of course I could be wrong.